banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2000, 05:59 PM   #26
young stranger

Thanks, midnightmisty, I really appreciate your response. And what a story you have to tell. I am glad you share my love of that line and my belief in respecting the old folks. I haven't had the opportunity to volunteer in that way, but I will try it sometime.

Also, thanks for the additional line from Carefree Highway. That song says so much.
Y.S.
young stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 06:28 PM   #27
dill23

Frank

The best line from Gordon came from an interview not a song. Something his Sunday School Teacher taugh him at a very young age.

"Do the best with what you got."

Truly the greatest words to chart a path in life I've ever heard. I asked Gord about it, and he lit up like Times Square in NYC at Christmas. He didn't have to say another word...I really got it. I told him, "Looking back now over my life, that's exactly what I've done, and Thank You." I thought he was going to burst.
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2000, 06:28 PM   #28
Rob Wells

Frank

The best line from Gordon came from an interview not a song. Something his Sunday School Teacher taugh him at a very young age.

"Do the best with what you got."

Truly the greatest words to chart a path in life I've ever heard. I asked Gord about it, and he lit up like Times Square in NYC at Christmas. He didn't have to say another word...I really got it. I told him, "Looking back now over my life, that's exactly what I've done, and Thank You." I thought he was going to burst.
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2000, 10:27 PM   #29
Simone

I continually return to the final passage in Minstrel.

"And if you meet him you will be, the victim of his Minstrel seed..."

Every time I hear that, it reminds me that I am a victim, and so are all of you. It is my defense when asked, "are you on that Lightfoot site again?!!!!!
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2000, 10:27 PM   #30
Chris in Virginia

I continually return to the final passage in Minstrel.

"And if you meet him you will be, the victim of his Minstrel seed..."

Every time I hear that, it reminds me that I am a victim, and so are all of you. It is my defense when asked, "are you on that Lightfoot site again?!!!!!
Chris in Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2000, 02:02 PM   #31
Florian

Hi,

"Does any one know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

This line is of course from The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald"

With a few simple words, Gordon Lightfoot again manages to describe the feeling aboard very accurate. You can re-live the feeling the crew had - the time seems to stand still and hopelessness and the feeling of being all alone out on that large vicious lake fills the hearts of the sailors before disaster stikes.

All in all, I find this to be a great line, almost the centerpiece of the song.

-Florian
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2000, 06:14 PM   #32
rainydayperson

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
Hi,

With a few simple words, Gordon Lightfoot again manages to describe the feeling aboard very accurate. You can re-live the feeling the crew had - the time seems to stand still and hopelessness and the feeling of being all alone out on that large vicious lake fills the hearts of the sailors before disaster stikes.

-Florian

--If I may Florian:

That line you mentioned "chills me to the bone"..
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2000, 06:14 PM   #33
classicmixdj

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
Hi,

-Florian

--If I may Florian:

That line you mentioned "chills me to the bone"..
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2000, 07:48 PM   #34
Pilatus

..."And later that night when the ship's bell rang,
could it be a north wind they'd been feelin'?"

From the cut, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".

One of many chilling verses in the piece and one that signified to the crew that SOMETHING IS WRONG, whether wise. How many times in our lives (far too many) are we struck with that first thought, feeling or preminition that something is not right? So many times the feeling, in the first instant is almost always horrifying, smacks us right in the gut and unleashes a flood of adrenaline.

........Pilatus
Old 11-13-2000, 07:48 PM   #35
Pilatus

..."And later that night when the ship's bell rang,
could it be a north wind they'd been feelin'?"

From the cut, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".

One of many chilling verses in the piece and one that signified to the crew that SOMETHING IS WRONG, whether wise. How many times in our lives (far too many) are we struck with that first thought, feeling or preminition that something is not right? So many times the feeling, in the first instant is almost always horrifying, smacks us right in the gut and unleashes a flood of adrenaline.

........Pilatus
Old 11-13-2000, 08:41 PM   #36
Chris M

Pilatus, classicmixdj & Florian

The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald really hits a nerve with my husband. He was in a major shipwreck during Typhoon Rose in 1971
in Hong Kong Harbor. Approx. 250 men aboard.
None were lost due to the fact that they were
finally tossed onto a tiny island and also because of the brave men who secured the ship to land. The ship was totalled and taken apart for scrap metal. It was the wreck of the U.S.S. Regulus.

For 15 hours these men lived in horror. I'm amazed that my husband can listen to that song. It's difficult for me. I watched events unfold, stateside, on news broadcasts.

That song gives me the chills.

midnightmisty

[This message has been edited by midnightmisty (edited November 13, 2000).]
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2000, 08:41 PM   #37
midnightmisty

Pilatus, classicmixdj & Florian

The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald really hits a nerve with my husband. He was in a major shipwreck during Typhoon Rose in 1971
in Hong Kong Harbor. Approx. 250 men aboard.
None were lost due to the fact that they were
finally tossed onto a tiny island and also because of the brave men who secured the ship to land. The ship was totalled and taken apart for scrap metal. It was the wreck of the U.S.S. Regulus.

For 15 hours these men lived in horror. I'm amazed that my husband can listen to that song. It's difficult for me. I watched events unfold, stateside, on news broadcasts.

That song gives me the chills.

midnightmisty

[This message has been edited by midnightmisty (edited November 13, 2000).]
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 06:49 AM   #38
catmanron

"he came down through fields of green on the summer side of life" there is no more wistful and literate and longing moment in my personal canon...just the line itself...maybe because of the brilliance that comes after, or maybe just the singular power of the statement itself...'specially now as my personal autumn approaches...
catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2000, 06:49 AM   #39
wordmanray

"he came down through fields of green on the summer side of life" there is no more wistful and literate and longing moment in my personal canon...just the line itself...maybe because of the brilliance that comes after, or maybe just the singular power of the statement itself...'specially now as my personal autumn approaches...
wordmanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2000, 06:19 PM   #40
Wingdrops

For Gord, I think of his "thinking about home" lyrics,

"I would travel all my life if loneliness were not the price, but headed north above that line is the only time I'm flyin'"

"to Biscayne Bay and all the way back again"

"a lonesome boy who missed the train last night"

"you can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train, so I'll just be on my way ..."

"and by the way, did she mention my name?"

For a description of me by Gord, its the line which begins "Sometimes it did get lonely, but it taught me how to cry"

and ends ....

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2000, 06:19 PM   #41
2Much2Lose

For Gord, I think of his "thinking about home" lyrics,

"I would travel all my life if loneliness were not the price, but headed north above that line is the only time I'm flyin'"

"to Biscayne Bay and all the way back again"

"a lonesome boy who missed the train last night"

"you can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train, so I'll just be on my way ..."

"and by the way, did she mention my name?"

For a description of me by Gord, its the line which begins "Sometimes it did get lonely, but it taught me how to cry"

and ends ....

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:16 AM   #42
Iron

"I get so lonesome, knowing you could be around....
You go with me everywhere like a shadow in the gloom."

Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 02:16 AM   #43
Ordinary Man

"I get so lonesome, knowing you could be around....
You go with me everywhere like a shadow in the gloom."

Ordinary Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 07:08 AM   #44
SomewhereupinMichigan

DMD: You need to clean the wax out and give another listen. They lyric from "Minstrel of the Dawn" is this: "Like me and you, he's trying to get into things more happy than BLUE" That's BLUE, not GLOOM!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:01 AM   #45
DMD3

Your right. Well, we've all done that before. It's funny though, the first few times I heard "Shadows" I thought it was "in the mountains in the spring time on a (gloomy) windy day but it's really (blue and) windy day. The words blue and gloomy sound the same in a song.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:01 AM   #46
DMD3

Your right. Well, we've all done that before. It's funny though, the first few times I heard "Shadows" I thought it was "in the mountains in the spring time on a (gloomy) windy day but it's really (blue and) windy day. The words blue and gloomy sound the same in a song.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:21 AM   #47
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:

Don't worry about it, DMD3. We'll let it slide because you're a youngster. I really get a kick out of your enthusiasm for Lightfoot's music, considering most kids in your age group wouldn't have a clue who he is. So just keep doing what you're doing.
And come to think of it, when I was your age, I went for about a year singing, "Every highway. Let me slip away on you..."

Cathy
Visit my website at http://www.cathycowette.com

[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited May 06, 2003).]
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 09:33 AM   #48
DMD3

Not to be mean, but I don't see how you could mishear that. I really don't see how I misheard "Minstrel of the Dawn" like that but I guess I did. Some songs, like "If it should please you" or "East of Midnight" the lyrics are hard to hear because he sings them fast. But "CareFree Highway" sounds pretty clear. Oh well, I guess we're all like that.
When I first heard "Endless Wire" I thought he was saying, "don't go foolin around, and set my wheels a game" ! This was only my 1st time of hearing it in GGV2.
I'm no expert on Gord, but I'm no newbie either. I've listened to him for about 2 years now.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:33 AM   #49
DMD3

Not to be mean, but I don't see how you could mishear that. I really don't see how I misheard "Minstrel of the Dawn" like that but I guess I did. Some songs, like "If it should please you" or "East of Midnight" the lyrics are hard to hear because he sings them fast. But "CareFree Highway" sounds pretty clear. Oh well, I guess we're all like that.
When I first heard "Endless Wire" I thought he was saying, "don't go foolin around, and set my wheels a game" ! This was only my 1st time of hearing it in GGV2.
I'm no expert on Gord, but I'm no newbie either. I've listened to him for about 2 years now.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:06 PM   #50
SomewhereupinMichigan

DMD3: Didn't mean to come off mean with you, so don't take any offense. Just settin' the record straight for you. Blue does make more sense than Gloom in that verse, don't you think? Anyway, here's a good link to the words of all Gord's songs:
http://gordonlightfoot.com/Songs.shtml

Be cool,

SUIM
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote