banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
jj

Default Massey Hall 2008-Pub Jam - Video clips for your enjoyment

...this time tomorrow we might all be packed and gone

we turn the page on yet another Massey gathering...looking forward pics from all

unfortunately my battery power ran out early in the session (Char states that tardiness and unpreparedness is my new MO) , but it meant I got put the digi-gear aside, sit back and actually enjoy the John, Ron, Paul1, Paul2, TJ vibes for a change - my distant mic didnt pick up all the great lead licks, wonderful stuff, humbling

thanks for pulling the jam together Ron, it is appreciated...+ tre-thanks, Char!

Last edited by jj; 05-11-2008 at 11:07 AM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Yuri

Default Re: Pub Jam - Video clips for your enjoyment

Thanks JJ,
Nice work and a wonderful way to experience McVeigh's for those of use who couldn't make it!
Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
charlene

NEW MO? NEW?
omigawd!

You are personally responsible for MANY of my grey hairs in the last several years..
I"ll send ya my stuff..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Moosedog

WOW, very cool! They finally brought high speed internet out to my neighborhood last week, and I got installed on Thursday. Perfect timing, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to view this. Looks like everyone had a fantastic time.

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
charlene

Glad to have this..The Man hisself told me had a set list/programme and was recording the shows so he didn't do "I'll Tag Along" at Massey for me..I reminded him on Friday night that he had only one night left to did it for me again..LOL
I guess I"ll have to listen to the Tampa story for the rest of my life..

These guys(Ron, Paul, John) did a superb job for me tho..loved it!
Love them!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
wonderful stuff, humbling
Humbling is right. Great performances. I'll never know how they were able to do this in front of audience of ax murderers.

Thank you.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
I'll never know how they were able to do this in front of audience of ax murderers.

Thank you.
answer: GUINNESS
Old 05-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
answer: GUINNESS
Well that certainly explains that. I've have it once, and it's the only time I actually had to eat my beer.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #9
Jesse Joe

Thanks jj for this great video. Very enjoyable... Sir J. Fowles always seems to have them front seat... Way to go John !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
a wonderful way to experience McVeigh's for those of use who couldn't make it!
Yuri
hey, yuri, that's a satisfying comment in that this was one of my two objectives in hauling in the dvx100 (since i had no d18 nor b45 to bring...pa rum pa pum pum)

...the other being to create a keepsake for those who could...if john managed to tape thursday's jam, i would really enjoy checking out a copy someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
WOW, very cool! They finally brought high speed internet out to my neighborhood last week, and I got installed on Thursday. Perfect timing, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to view this
Vickie
way to go, vick! here's a tip for you and all others if not aware:

*don't click on the play arrow in the middle of the video box in this post

*instead, click on the yellow title at the top (ie. YouTube - Massey 2008 - Friday Pub Jam Montage) and it will take you to youtube site

*then below the bottom right of the video screen, under where it shows the number of views, click on 'watch in high quality'

you will notice the improvement in audio and video quality - you can also try viewing in full screen mode and experience less pixel loss, try it out

also, can try that for the 3 part 2006 jam if you missed it ( http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=opus62 )...it's jerky hand held stuff but clear 'myk' audio and great gl stage pics from an un-named source!

char, grey?
ok, as the rocket would say '2 minutes for lookin so good'

Last edited by jj; 05-11-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #11
podunklander

thanks much jj!!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #12
Nightingale

Thanks so much for posting this!
I really enjoyed watching all the talented Corfidians...you all looked like you were having so much fun and you sounded great!

Glad you all had such a good time and thanks again for making it possible for those of us at home to share a bit of it with you.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:25 AM   #13
814scenic

Thanks again to all. I would love to move to Canada! I've always known Canadian men are HOT! Gordon Lightfoot is a prime example. Do they make men like that anymore? Sorry American men. Gord is a tough act to follow!
814scenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #14
charlene

JJ hasn't mentioned his trip to the stage to play geetar and sing...and it was MOST enjoyable and memorable! And Sir John captured it on video I hope???And he will be sharing??
Old 05-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #15
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 814scenic View Post
Thanks again to all. I would love to move to Canada! I've always known Canadian men are HOT! Gordon Lightfoot is a prime example. Do they make men like that anymore? Sorry American men. Gord is a tough act to follow!
Oh gee, I thought you were talking about the guys in the video LOL.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
Jesse Joe

Quote:
JJ hasn't mentioned his trip to the stage to play geetar and sing...and it was MOST enjoyable and memorable! And Sir John captured it on video I hope???And he will be sharing??
So jj is also a talented guy with the geetar eh ! Hope to get to see and hear this.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #17
mandoann

Thanks for this! I'm sorry I couldn't be there, but I did enjoy the jam on Thursday. It's nice to hear more GL songs performed live. And it was great to meet fellow Corfidians/Lightheads!

Being at the Massey was a dream come true!

- if you meet him you will be/ the victim of his minstrelsy/ he'll sing for you a song

"You could wrap me around your finger"
mandoann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
charlene

James plays piano as well..he keeps his talents well hidden!!
I had a private piano recital here at my place a couple of months ago but he didn't sing..

It was great to meet you too Ann - c ya in 2009!

The jam band guys were hot TG..!!
Next time we'll have them turn the overhead lights down a touch..
Old 05-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #19
T.G.

Quote:
The jam band guys were hot TG..!!
Next time we'll have them turn the overhead lights down a touch..
Oy, nasty, I say, nasty!
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #20
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Hope to get to see and hear this.
i felt like a child amongst giants up there and saying that, it 's best that i am seen and not heard...when i looked down and saw sir john in the reserved for royalty front row (and of course, in reality, as friendly and encouraging as could be), instead, my mind had him morphing into simon cowell and my throat went dry and fingers got all twitchy, lol

anyhow, thanks to char, here's a pic that i can store in my digi-archives

and i've uncharacteristically posted it as is, totally unedited...with the exception of red eye, crow's feet, mid-life acne, double chin removal and hairline plus madonna-esque mole restoration

frankly, even in a distant musical past i've never been a front man nor relished the thought of it, i was up there merely representing the closet guitar noodlers and crooners (such as lori, donnie, val and probably a whole whack of others)

as kind, flattering and totally over the top as char and ron's words have been, in reality, i just spun a simple jj version of very simple gl rarity tune and hope it left any folks who didn't know the various songbook additions on a mission to go home and dig out THE gord version, a real gem reminding us of how the master could have seemingly, effortlessly churn out a short infectious diddy, and yet, put it on the backburner when it comes to album song selection ...you'll still be needing me (jj interpretive subtext: we only attempt to hurt the ones we truly love), check it out sometime...and ron, please add it to your extensive busking catalogue sometime

anyhow, even though i truly dread the stage, it was as good a time as any try contribute for change, (in a Lightfoot Idol Gives Back fashion, lol) after many years of being treated to stellar cover arrangements i've had the pleasure of absorbing either live or via my video edit monitor, by the genuinely talented performers and singin, pickin and lead lickin talents that exist amongst the gl crowd, including our founding fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters: mjoe, ccowette, wfrancis, emullen, kwallace, mcarl ,dkidd, etc, etc, and in no particular order (ok, in beauty order i suppose, no offense derek! ) ...rjones, jstinson, pbartlett, tg, paul, you guys are my latest mentors!

and to wind down this windbag post, i wanted to add that before my mind went regretfully blank at the stage mic, i had primarily intended to propose a toast to a lost, true blue longtime fan (perhaps THE original gord fan) whose front row Massey seat probably should have been left vacant for the 4 nights, in memorium ...ron had previously posted that Lynn used to wear a Lightfoot Forever! button...i had truly meant to pause and raise a pint or a shirley temple and have us collaborate on a unified shout out in her honour at the jam : Ackerman Forever!

on a lighter note, thanks again for making the jam happen, ron...it may appear so but people do not take for granted the efforts of the rons, chars, jenneys, debs, waynes, vals (please forgive all my omissions) whether it be a fan convention or a gord website effort... thank you, thank you, folks

Massey regrets, i've had a few, but then again, too many to mention...but looking back, i do not regret my brief stage cameo, it was finally 'time to sink or swim'...and thanks to the receptive warmth of the corfidian on lookers, i managed to dog paddle my way through perhaps the longest 2.5 minutes of my life...excluding my wedding night
cheers, cu all in 2009, the gord lord willing
jj

ps) tip: if ever intimidated by onlookers, take a tip from an old brady bunch episode and imagine the crowd all in their underwear...truth is, by the end of the jam, charlene actually WAS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jj.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1781  

Last edited by jj; 05-13-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:27 AM   #21
Jesse Joe

Bravo jj, you look a bit like a young Gordon Lightfoot (hair style) Album "LIGHTFOOT" cover. I always am interested in guitars, could this be a Martin your playing ? The strings are sure shinny, same thing I noticed on Gord's guitars last year in Moncton.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #22
lighthead2toe

A very beautiful piece of posting JJ. A Jones has been moved by a Jones. For the Lynn Ackerman part, a very kind sentiment and a big thoughtful thank you. Your song took took me by ambush and yes it will surely be part of my gig and thanks for your encouragement. I think the seed was planted when you and I had that musical moment in Scarborough a while ago. Some things remain frozen in time. RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #23
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Bravo jj, you look a bit like a young Gordon Lightfoot (hair style) Album "LIGHTFOOT" cover. I always am interested in guitars, could this be a Martin your playing ? The strings are sure shinny, same thing I noticed on Gord's guitars last year in Moncton.
A well seasoned and well traveled Gord type Martin D18 Jesse J. RJ.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #24
Jesse Joe

Thanks for the info Ron, much appreciated.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #25
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Well that certainly explains that. I've have it once, and it's the only time I actually had to eat my beer.
Couldn't resist having a "bite" on this one Ron. It's always been my choice of meal before a show. Kinda gives ya that hit of iron and doesn't take up too much room in the lower end so there's lots of "breathing space" open one might say. RJ.