banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
Jesse Joe

Emmy Award quotes

(AP) - Heard at the 58th annual Primetime Emmy Awards:

"I lost to Barry Manilow! Barry Manilow! I lost to the Copacabana. Singing and dancing is not performing." - Stephen Colbert, who was eclipsed by Manilow's special in the variety, music or comedy program category.

-

"It's the Manilow thing. I can't stand it either." - Craig Ferguson, host of The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson, who also lost to Manilow.

-

"Aaron Spelling gave us the gift in the little blue box." - Charlie's Angels actress Kate Jackson during a tribute to the late television producer.

-

"I'm up in the air as to exactly why we're not on the air. We created something beautiful. But at a certain point, when the audience doesn't show up, we have to make a business decision and the show was cancelled." - Thief actor Andre Braugher on the demise of the FX Network show.

-

"Well, when I named my son August I had no idea the month would end like this. I want to thank my father because he is the reason I'm standing here today." - Mariska Hargitay, best actress in a drama series for Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, referring to her father, former bodybuilder Mickey Hargitay.

-

"I'm the only straight man to bring his mother two years in a row." - Entourage actor and Emmy winner Jeremy Piven.

-

"Alec Baldwin has a new show on NBC, James Woods has a new show on CBS and Mel Gibson has a new show on Al-Jazeera." - Emmys host Conan O'Brien during the opening monologue.

-

"I guess I have to thank Showtime even though they have cancelled us." - Blythe Danner, who won the supporting drama actress Emmy for Showtime's Huff.

-

"We had eight great years of happy employment and that's more than most people can ever hope for." - Will & Grace star Megan Mullally after winning the supporting comedy actress Emmy.

-

"I'm strangely upset." - Debra Messing about the end of Will & Grace.

-

"Before I had my stroke I was thinking about all of the things I've been involved with all of my life - music, comedy, drama, even talk shows, even reality TV. And I realized that I have accomplished my childhood dream to be in show business. Everybody should be so lucky to have their dreams come true." - Dick Clark onstage during an Emmy show tribute to the American Bandstand icon.

-

"We started working on 24 about five weeks ago and his schedule is so complicated that this is the one night that we knew we were going to be able to see each other so this is fantastic. We're going to have to sit and have a good visit." - Emmy-winning 24 star Kiefer Sutherland about the anticipated visit with his father and fellow Emmy nominee, Donald Sutherland.

-

"Tomorrow morning, after I finish this, I go right in and they rip me apart and put me back together again." - Barry Manilow, who postponed hip surgery so he could participate in the Emmy tribute to Dick Clark, then won an Emmy for individual performance in a variety or music program.

-

"There is nothing I would rather do than watch this person." - Warren Beatty about his wife, Annette Bening, who was nominated for an Emmy for HBO's Mrs. Harris.

-

"And boy, the Bush administration just keeps sticking it to the working man." - Emmy host Conan O'Brien on the IRS taxing show gift baskets.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

very good J-J but you omitted the best one,after Helen Mirren reached the safety of the stage she said somrhing like:-
"I almost went ass over tit , thanks to these bloody shoes!!
and thereupon took them orff!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Borderstone

I watched last night too and it was actually very entertaining for a change.

I loved Conan's re-make of the "Music Man" song,"Trouble (with a capital T)" and making it about how NBC is in last place! LOL! :D

Also when he's trying to get to the Emmy's and ends up walking through a # of TV shows,
"24","Lost","The Office" and even South Park where little boy Stan yells to his dad,"Dad,Conan O;'Brien wont come out of the closet! :D

The tribute to Aaron Spelling was very touching and it was great to see all 3 original Charlie's Angels on stage. Kate Jackson proclaiming,"We're taking back/reclaiming the product (or such).

The Dick Clark tribute was great (and a little gut wrenching) as well.

I always get "misty" eyed during the in memoriun segment. I had no idea that Buck Owens had passed away.

Overall,a great night. Definetley glad to see Alan Alda win for West Wing,even though he wsasn't there.