banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
4_everyman

Default Concerned about Terry Clements

Hi, folks.

My wife and I enjoyed Gord's show last night in Portland, Oregon. It was a real treat to hear "Home From The Forest" and "If Children Had Wings" in concert.

I wanted to ask the folks here about Terry. It's been three years since Gord and the band performed in Portland. We were in the fourth row so we had an excellent view of the stage.

I noticed early on in the show that Terry seemed to be struggling. I've been to every Lightfoot concert in whichever town I've lived in since 1976. I know all of Terry's solos, but last night it was obvious that he was having some difficulty playing. I noticed his left hand trembling at times.

Also, at the intermission break and when the band left the stage for the encore, Terry was the last one off the stage. He moved very slowly and deliberately. Terry looked noticably older than the last time I saw him back in 2007.

I was talking to a friend during the intermission. She's a nurse and she thought Terry was either suffering from arthritis or that perhaps he'd had a stroke, given the difficulty he had using his hands. I'm very concerned because he looked like he was having hard time on stage.

Have others noticed this? Does anyone have any information to share?
4_everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Concerned about Terry Clements

I noted some weight loss in July at Mariposa/Orillia and again in Buffalo a month or so ago. I was told he was feeling good and was healthy.
I'm not one to ask if he was keeping up or playing as he usually does tho..he seemed fine in Buffalo but was not around after the show.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
dad2mak

That brings up another related question...if something were to happen to Terry, where for some reason he was no longer able to play, would that be the end of the concerts, or is there another Red Shea/Terry Clements out there waiting in the wings to step in?
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
Kelly Davis

Let's not even think about going there ( a replacement for Terry) !!!!!

My family and I were the last ones to talk with Terry after the Oct. 15th show in Aurora, IL.

I have noticed the weight loss, but he seemed like the usual Terry to me - he even sang my family part of a song from an album he is producing for a deceased songwriter/friend.
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
charlene

I think Terry has been working on that project for quite a while:
Wayne's had this info at his site for many years now..
http://www.lightfoot.ca/profiles.htm
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
seafarer62

I just saw three concerts in mid-October. Terry did look thinner, but seemed to be playing OK to me. I did notice that the second solo on Baby Step Back is a little more "underplayed" than it has in the past.

Actually back in 2000-2002 period (before Gord's illness), I noticed Terry stretching his hand between songs. Must not be a new thing

We are all aging and feeling more aches and pains.

It's cold on the shoulder
and you know that we get a little older
every day.
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
Wes Steele

4 Everyman....

Maybe Terry just had a bad night.

I did have a chance to speak with him before the show in October over here. He did lose weight but he was quite happy, cracking jokes and laughing with us. He performed well that night....at least thats what I thought.

Yes, they are all getting older so maybe they can have an "off night" once and awhile.

I know their ages...and I know their schedule.... and I am simply amazed that they can keep this life style up. For anyone who has traveled a lot, you can understand this. It is a tough life.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2mak View Post
That brings up another related question...if something were to happen to Terry, where for some reason he was no longer able to play, would that be the end of the concerts, or is there another Red Shea/Terry Clements out there waiting in the wings to step in?
i've heard GL say that they'll keep on going til one of them succumbs to age or illness, then that will be that....them again, he has contracted his own statements (almost complete 180s) in interviews the past few years about various topics so i would take all with a grain of salt

these guys are a well-rehearsed and dependable orchestral 'unit'...Gord has strategically paid a premium for that reliability/dedication over the years...i watch Terry the most during a concert...haven't heard him have on off night since early this decade, hoping it was just that...wishing good health to the entire orchestra
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
4_everyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Steele View Post
4 Everyman....

Maybe Terry just had a bad night.
OK...I definitely hope that's the case.

I've been seeing these guys play together since 1976 (with the except of Mike, obviously) and the thought of any of them not being to give their very best shakes me up a bit. Gord's body of work and all those concerts have been a big part of my life.

Thanks for putting my worries to rest.
4_everyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Bent But Not Broken

Interesting observations. I saw Gord and the band on Oct. 5 in Wilkes-Barre, Pa and I too noticed that Terry seemed to be struggling slightly, especially with some of the intros.
Don't misunderstand me, his playing was great. But instead of the music flowing from his guitar, he seemed to have to go after it so to speak throughout the show. I just chalked up to an off night, or it was me, but after reading some other posts, others seem to be noticing something also.
During the intros to "Hangdog Hotel" and "Blackberry Wine" was where I really noticed it plus he didn't seem to be as animated as he was back in '07 when I saw Lightfoot and the band: He seemed a little uptight. The show was great with Gords voice much improved, but I have to admit that the band sounded somewhat better in '07 which was at the same venue.
Just my observations and thoughts.
Bent But Not Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #11
scrimshaw

i was sitting in the front row a little right of center during the Portland concert and can attest to what 4_everyman saw and heard. Terry was definitely struggling to keep up, especially during the riffs. many of his notes were either muffled, unrecognizable or simply not there. it was quite a marked contrast to his performance just a year ago at Grants Pass. i also noticed his right hand appeared swollen around the knuckle area. his gait coming onto and exiting the stage was slow and awkward. GL and the other members didn't seem to pay his playing any attention although Gord would occasionally raise his eyebrows at Terry after the conclusion of some songs.

Terry's disposition remained unaffected and happy throughout the show. he led the audience in applause as is his custom coming onstage after the intermission.

my best guess would be arthritis coupled with medication. i read somewhere that Terry injured his right hand years ago. maybe that has something to do with it. this was also their second show into the new tour and maybe he was feeling the effects of the layoff against the strain of the previous night's show. whatever it is i hope Terry continues to play as long as he is willing and able.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gordport2010.JPG
Views:	638
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	3947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Terryport2010.JPG
Views:	649
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	3948  
scrimshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #12
Wheels

Wow. Saw Gord about a month ago for the first time and the only thing I remember about Terry is that he played very tasty licks throughout and that the whole group sounded super in synch.

That being said it has to be a tough way to make a living the more miles and years these guys rack up. Hope it's nothing more than an off night or two. Maybe more nights off would bring less off nights.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

I saw them in seattle a few nights ago and the whole group was great. Terry played really well and looked like he was having fun. GL sounded better and better as the night went on. I didn't want it to end.
I agree that it must be hard to play night after night as the years go by. My hands hurt thinking about it!
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote