banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
charlene

Default Lightfoot reviews

Sheryl has found this site:

http://www.ticketsnow.com/Reviews/Pr...wProductType=0
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
gwenagain

Send a message via Yahoo to gwenagain
Default Re: Lightfoot reviews

interesting comments. Far too many negatives, generally...
they need to visit Corfid's site first then go there and post.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
Tim

I found it interesting that such divergent views can be posted on the same performance (at Phoenix, AZ for instance). I also think that some of the negative comments were not from real fans (though they claimed to be) but they came from people who owned "Gords Gold" and nothing else from his body of work. I'd love to ask some of those reviewers how many original Gord albums do they own -- probably not very many.

They also seem to have an unrealisitc "time warp" expectation where no one is allowed to change, or age. I guess that kind of expectation from the entertainment industry is what keeps the cosmetic surgery industry flourishing. My guess is that they, themselves have changed and aged over the years, but they are not put into the spotlight where everyone can comment on that quality about themselves.

Getting back to the casual fans, they probably have not followed Gord over the years and they probably don't own any of his more recent albums. So, they expect to travel back 35 years in a concert experience. If they are disappointed, they must run home and play Gord's Gold to remember "what was." I would hazard to guess that people of that ilk tend to be narrow-minded and shallow.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
brink-

well said, Tim
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
SherylKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Glad you found this appropriate to post. I thought the reviews were skewed 'way too negatively. Thoght maybe some corfidians who have been to recent concerts might want to post their impressions. I asked on my post, "If you want him to sound the same as on his recordings, would you prefer he lip sync? Milli Vanilli Lightfoot?" Don't think so!

I also tried to highlight the fact that both at Tarrytown and Town Hall, I talked to young people who had never seen him in concert before and were waiting outside to shake his hand and tell him how much they loved his music. Our generation isn't the only generation with good taste in music - LOL Sheryl
Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
bjm7777

I have to say this: Johnny Cash did some of his best work when his voice was fading, at the apparent twilight of his career. Mind you, he had that hot shot producer to find material for him; but I wonder sometimes what might happen if Gord did something like Cash did. Just a thought...

As for the present, Gord's music endures. A co-worker of mine who is 20-plus years younger than me has some of Gord's music from the '60's. To see him in concert now is to see history, I think. The thin voice really doesn't matter to me.

Time marches on and none of us are immune to its effects.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
bjm7777

Addendum: Gord's song "Shellfish" is a good example of time moving on. He continues to tour because there is "still a ways to go", but he is a mentor now. That to me is natural succession. That's my belief, anyway...
Old 07-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
GJA

I wonder how old the authors of the poor reviews are? Obviously they will never grow older. On the other hand us "real" people know we all grow older and Gord still has what it takes to entertain me!!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
lighthead2toe

Well spoken GJA and despite the availability to make many comments these days on the Internet whether they be negative of positive, it's doubtful they will in any way affect Gord's decision to keep it going or not.

It's all about music and his desire to keep it going is controlled by the music that's within him and for those who make comments about telling him to quit are merely displaying their ignorance of the power of music and of what being a famous composer is all about.

But negative commentary is not something that we, as diehard Lightfoot fans should take personal because many of us here have grown with Gord and his music and comments about being "longtime fans, but he should"..... etc. simply does not resonate with our ilk.

Negative commentators about Gordon Lightfoot performances, and with absolute respect for the freedom to speak, should consider themselves privileged that they were, in effect, in the presence of a great composer who will go down in history, and should be very thankful for having had the opportunity to see him perform live while that opportunity is still at hand.

The curtain will come down on us all at some time and seemingly that fact gets overlooked more often that not.

Thank you.

Ron Jones.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
formerlylavender

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and I get that 100%. What I don't like is the "call it a day", "hang it up" comments. There are still plenty of fans who want to see Gord perform and will gladly pay for it.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
fezo

I get what the folks with the negative reviews are saying and respect that. In here we all know the voice issues and accept that is part of the package. I would bet that among the general public the old voice was a huge part of what drew them in and many likely never got past that good voice and into the incredible songs.

I liked that some of them pointed out how tight the band still is and one of the negative reviews was more faulting the venue than the show.

Takes all kinds.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote