banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
<nyseemssofaraway>

I saw a gibson b-45 ('63) yesterday at one of the 2 national chain music stores. They wanted $1795 for it, that's crazy. But it was low enough to reach it so I picked it up and played it. Action wasn't all that great, but surely did sound like Gord's. It was a lighter sunburst like the one he calls the "F-12"
Old 02-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
<nyseemssofaraway>

I saw a gibson b-45 ('63) yesterday at one of the 2 national chain music stores. They wanted $1795 for it, that's crazy. But it was low enough to reach it so I picked it up and played it. Action wasn't all that great, but surely did sound like Gord's. It was a lighter sunburst like the one he calls the "F-12"
Old 02-07-2006, 11:44 PM   #3
Ginny

Hi ny. Those guitars are into the vintage category and if, as you say it sure sounded like Gord's, I'd grab it before someone else does. $1795 is not crazy. The action matter can be fixed by a good luthier, but make sure it's a GOOD one. I'm fortunate enough to have two B45's and the offers to buy them sometimes freaks me out but they've become part of me. Please keep us posted. Ron Jones.
Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Bill

I paid $600 for one in the 1980s and prices have crept up. The B45 is not a highly sought after vintage instrument (sorry Gord fans), especially since the other big proponent of the guitar, Leo Kottke signed with Taylor. To be worth that kind of money I'd think in terms of an early 60s model with reverse style bridge and a good neck and otherwise structurally sound. The B45, even ones in rough shape, have an incredible unique sound, but are beasts to play because of the 2" wide neck.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
Ginny

Thanks for the input Bill and for sure you need not apologise. It's great to know there's folks like you out there who knows what they're talking about. After I read your remarks I noticed that the bridges on my B45's are reversed, and up till now I did not realize that. It gave me cause to sit back, have a cool yule, sit back and just take a good look at those beautiful babies. Do you have any information on Leo Kottke? Hope this topic generates. Many thanks, Ron Jones.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Bill

leokottke.com His sight isn't as dynamic as it first was...he use to write droll stories for it, but has stopped. Leo is 60 yrs. old. He took solo acoustic guitar to new heights. A Gibson B45 was his main axe starting out, and along the way he's used Bozo guitars, a Lundberg modified Martin, and various 6 string instruments (notably a Gibson slope shoulderd J45). His signature 6 & 12 strings from Taylor are very easy to play, unlike the Gibson. He's always preferred mahogany guitars. Other famous artists I have seen pictured with B45s (but I doubt they really used them much): Johnny Cash, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
Ginny

Wow, this is the kind of news that just seems to have it's way of getting me off to a good day. My thanks to you Bill. My next stop will be my favourite music store to check out a few Taylor guitars. It's unlikely I'll find any B45's there but that would be a plus as well. Will be back to you. Cheers, Ron.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
katt

There is a section that talks about the B-45-12 in the book "Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars". In it Leo Kottke talks about how he really loved his, but it was stolen years ago. There is also a cool picture of Ian Tyson playing his 1st generation (1961) B-45-12 with rounded shoulders. The book mentions that since this was a lightly-built guitar, and was designed to be tuned down a whole step from concert pitch, it had a tendency to self-destruct the top when it was tuned to concert pitch. Gibson went back and forth between the trapeze tailpiece and the pin bridge to try to resolve this problem, with varying success. I have a 1964 B-25-12, which is the smaller-bodied model, but it has the same neck. I'm lucky that I have giant hands!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
titanic_tony

There is a section that talks about the B-45-12 in the book "Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars". In it Leo Kottke talks about how he really loved his, but it was stolen years ago. There is also a cool picture of Ian Tyson playing his 1st generation (1961) B-45-12 with rounded shoulders. The book mentions that since this was a lightly-built guitar, and was designed to be tuned down a whole step from concert pitch, it had a tendency to self-destruct the top when it was tuned to concert pitch. Gibson went back and forth between the trapeze tailpiece and the pin bridge to try to resolve this problem, with varying success. I have a 1964 B-25-12, which is the smaller-bodied model, but it has the same neck. I'm lucky that I have giant hands!
titanic_tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
<nyseemssofaraway>

i saw also that the Rooftop Singers also used the B-45 from some of the albums pictures one was a lefty.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
<nyseemssofaraway>

i saw also that the Rooftop Singers also used the B-45 from some of the albums pictures one was a lefty.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #12
talbot10

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill:
leokottke.com His sight isn't as dynamic as it first was...he use to write droll stories for it, but has stopped. Leo is 60 yrs. old. He took solo acoustic guitar to new heights. A Gibson B45 was his main axe starting out, and along the way he's used Bozo guitars, a Lundberg modified Martin, and various 6 string instruments (notably a Gibson slope shoulderd J45). His signature 6 & 12 strings from Taylor are very easy to play, unlike the Gibson. He's always preferred mahogany guitars. Other famous artists I have seen pictured with B45s (but I doubt they really used them much): Johnny Cash, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce.
HI Guys,
Leo has mostly Taylors in the last 16 years (He has a model named after him and a six string a mentioned by Bill, Leo liked Mahagony. He used really nice Olsen small bodied string for a few years. I ran into him after a show in Mamaroneck, NY about 7 years ago and he told me that the concave neck on the Olsen bothered him so he gave it up (still had it). He also gave up using a plastic Thumb pick and metal fingerpicks in the early eightees after he almost lost his carreer to to Carporal tunnel syndrome. I think that is one of the reasons he really needs low action. He still plays 12 string like no other! I remember your great B-45's Ron! you played them great!
Bill
Old 02-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #13
Ginny

Quote:
Originally posted by titanic_tony:
Great to have this input Tony. I just hope the B45's that I have are not some of the stolen ones. I bought them both in Toronto and they were reputable folks I bought them from, one was a law student and I think I could probably track them down if need be, but it's always something that hangs over my head. It seems that there were a few that were stolen, one belonging to Gord, if I recall, and I know for sure that there are professional equipment thieves out there who lurk and are aware of the value of quality instruments. That's the main reason why I try never to let them be too far away from sight. Please stay in touch. Ron Jones.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #14
Ginny

Quote:
Originally posted by talbot10:
quote:Originally posted by Bill:
HI Guys,
Leo has mostly Taylors in the last 16 years (He has a model named after him and a six string a mentioned by Bill, Leo liked Mahagony. He used really nice Olsen small bodied string for a few years. I ran into him after a show in Mamaroneck, NY about 7 years ago and he told me that the concave neck on the Olsen bothered him so he gave it up (still had it). He also gave up using a plastic Thumb pick and metal fingerpicks in the early eightees after he almost lost his carreer to to Carporal tunnel syndrome. I think that is one of the reasons he really needs low action. He still plays 12 string like no other! I remember your great B-45's Ron! you played them great!
Bill
[/QUOTE]Thanks so much for this Bill and you are very kind. The news about Leo is quite fascinating and I just love to hear all that stuff. Please keep it coming. Twelve string guitars were used from what I've noticed, by many successful bands. They've been running some shows by "Abba" on the public networks and I've noticed they have one there as did Fairport Convention, The Byrds, The Beatles, I think, and in the big past, we have The New Christy Minstrels, just to name a few. There's something about the total compliment of sound that those guitars produce. I see it a lot in the reaction of audiences. The human ear picks up on sound and I think musicians realize that the connection between them and their audience is that all important link on just how they're going to get there and the 12 string guitar with it's host of qualities going into the hands of right player can deliver the goods. It wasn't until I met folks like you, Kenyon, and a host of other talented wonderful Lightfoot enthusiasists that I realized I had landed into a field of Bitter Greens that would ripen into a Blackberry Wine sweetness by the end of the week last year in Toronto. There was a host of talented folks at that gig and hopefully at the next one more will come on board. Cheers, Ron Jones.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
Ginny

Quote:
Originally posted by lighthead2toe:
Wow, this is the kind of news that just seems to have it's way of getting me off to a good day. My thanks to you Bill. My next stop will be my favourite music store to check out a few Taylor guitars. It's unlikely I'll find any B45's there but that would be a plus as well. Will be back to you. Cheers, Ron.
Back to one of my favourite topics- the 12 string guitar. Well there's a lot of really good stuff out there that can produce some amazing sounds. Vancouver is a pretty cool town for music and there's some stores that stock a lot of quality instruments and there's also a few very good luthiers here as well. I really liked the Larivee sound and the Taylor was right up there also. I wouldn't know how to decide on both those instruments. After all is said and done though, I just relaxed into the comfort zone of my B45. I guess because I'm so used to the feel of it, the sound, and if there's one string that needs to be adjusted I know right where the path will lead me to catch it. In effect, it's become part of me and of course it has that definitive Lightfoot sound and that's the sound I need in order to get me there. BTW John, if you read this could I ask you to go into that "treasure trove" of stuff and share with the folks the photo of Gord's B45 with the article talking about "tools of the trade?" I vaguely remember it mentioning something about how he would book a seat on the plane when he trevelled with it, and there were other comments that I can't recall just now. Many thanks. Ron Jones