banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
charlene

Default San Francisco Examiner interview ''Grandpa don’t take no holidays!''

http://www.sfexaminer.com/gordon-lig...ards-rotation/
Gordon Lightfoot, 80, keeps his standards in rotation

Canadian folk great Gordon Lightfoot stays busy touring, working out, and making records.

By Tom Lanham on March 3, 2019 12:01 am

Some artists slow down accordingly with age. Then there’s Canadian folk-rocker Gordon Lightfoot, who, at 80, is busier than ever, with a current comprehensive American tour underway and an album of new material he’s releasing later this year. The Juno-Award-winning singer even was awarded a honorary doctorate of music from Lakeland University in his childhood hometown of Orillia in Ontario. But he hasn’t been writing anything new, he clarifies. He unearthed a treasure trove of material cached since 2002, when a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm put him into a six-week coma. “I love following current events,” he says from his current base of Toronto. “But I had all this stuff in storage from before the aneurysm, back when I was stronger, vocally, and I really want to record it, half of it solo and half with my band.”

What hobbies do you have?

Well, I work out almost every day. I belong to a club up here, and I’m 80 years old right now, so it’s what keeps my motor running. And I run my own business, so I also have an office downtown. I have six children, five grandchildren and one of them’s about to make a great grandfather out of me. So I spend a lot of time thinking about them. We call it the extended family. My third wife Kim and I preside over all of this, and it’s always a lot of fun.

Around the holidays, do they ask grandpa to sing the classics, like “Sundown,” “Carefree Highway”?

Grandpa don’t take no holidays! My holiday is onstage; I love getting up in front of the crowd, I really do. I love playing music. And I will do it forever if I can. But my daily routine really helps. And it’s the opposite of what it used to be. I used to stay up all night and sleep through the day. Now I get up early. I gave up alcohol in 1982, stopped smoking cigarettes five months ago. I’ll do anything to help me do the workout I do, and when I’m onstage, I feel strong.

Any songs that have grown, changed meaning for you over the years?

I’ve got all the best ones in a state of rotation. I keep rotating them around, but you can’t lose the standards. There are several standards, and they get done every night. And the rest of it is like a little universe of its own.

How was it receiving that doctorate?

Those things are great fun. You get the robe and everything. I’ve even played the guitar with that robe on. It was a total honor for me.

IF YOU GO
Gordon Lightfoot
Where: City National Civic, 135 W. San Carlos St., San Jose
When: 8 p.m. March 5
Tickets: $45 to $75
Note: Lightfoot also appears at 8 p.m. Wednesday, March 6 at Luther Burbank Center for the Arts, 50 Mark West Springs Road, Santa Rosa.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #2
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater
Default Re: San Francisco Examiner interview ''Grandpa don’t take no holidays!''

WOW, he quit smoking 5 months ago. I hope it does him good. I was amazed that he was still smoking after the aneurysm back in the 2002.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Default Re: San Francisco Examiner interview ''Grandpa don’t take no holidays!''

I don't see why we should concern ourselves with how he takes care of himself.

That's his personal business.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
charlene

While you don't see why, and I respect that, I can say that I was concerned when he was deathly ill and that he has come back to this point with a new marriage, another grandchild and a great grandchild on the way.
Being a devoted fan since i was a teen and am now pushing 64, it does 'concern' me that he has chosen to make a healthy lifestyle choice. And I couldn't be happier..
Why my/our concern about how he takes care of himself is a concern to you, concerns me. lol.
His personal business affects his musical business and I'd like to see him onstage as long as possible and when he stops I hope he lives a long happy life..
He doesn't have to, but when I see him he 'concerns' himself with how I am and how my daughter is if she isn't with me.
It's being human..I always ask him (and most people I meet) 'how are you?'..
I care. I'm interested. I'm human.
Hope that clears it up..
btw - hope you're well! (I won't ask tho.. )
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
paskatefan

I'm thrilled that he has stopped smoking! Gordon, may you continue to live a long, happy life & enjoy all the good things happening in your family!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
lighthead2toe

A retired letter carrier friend who lives in my neighbourhood delivered mail in the Bridal Path area of Toronto where Gord lives.
Mike is a huge fan and he told me he hoped some day to meet Gordon while delivering his mail and sure enough it happened.
He told me Gord was very open and friendly and made a point of concern about letter carriers having to endure the elements of our Canadian climate during their daily routine.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:55 AM   #7
Melissa

Yeah, what SHE (Char) said.
Thank you, Char.
Couldn't have said it better, myself.
Funny, I was under the impression everyone on this forum cares VERY MUCH about how Gord takes care of himself - otherwise, why would we be here?
Golly, he cares enough about us to get out there every night and sing for us. I think the least we can do is care enough about him to hope he's taking care of himself and staying healthy. I, for one, applaud his stamina and dedication. The Energizer Bunny ain't got NOTHIN' on our Gord!
Hey, just my opinion.
And if someone disagrees, well, it doesn't really concern me.
:-)
Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote