banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #76
Jesse Joe

Default Re: Sentiments expressed on this site

Burton Cummings & Randy Bachman saw a young Gordie Lightfoot in that club, and they told each other. " Some day that will be us."
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 PM   #77
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
It's amazing how so many walk around these days so totally unplugged from the actual world they inhabit but are literally plugged into the electronics of the day, listening to chatter/music and watching small screens with texts/videos etc..

I like to walk around, make eye contact, smile, say HI, how are you? to people. When you are unaware of what and who is around you the tendency to be polite and friendly is diminished, doors are not opened, banging into people while walking around occurs all the time, the tendency to be short tempered happens more often..it makes for a disengaged and sometimes surly population amongst those who don't engage in the hi-tech gadgetry.

I too would have found that experience way too weird RJ..but kids are used to so much TV from such a young age in some cases that voices coming at them with no person attached is normal I guess..lol

I'll never get used to folks walking around with their hands free phones, talking out loud, and sometimes TOO loud, having conversations in public that are totally inappropriate.

There seems to be an epidemic all over the world of the 'if you say something 'pro' or in praise" it automatically makes you 'anti' something..that speaks more to the listener than the speaker I think.
If I am 'anti' something I'm more than capable of making it crystal clear.

I must say, with thanks, that for the most part I have found folks quite appreciative of hearing/learning some facts/trivia about Canada/Canadians, be it posted here or in private e-mails. We here in Canada have U.S. news as front page coverage in our papers, the top story on our nightly news - our national magazine - Macleans, was just delivered with Obama on the front cover. Were there any U.S. magazines with our PM on it when he won the election a month ago? That's a rhetorical question by the way..

Yet Canada is the largest trade partner of the U.S.:
As of December 2007 and according to the US Census, the ten largest trading partners of the United States represented 64.87% of U.S. Imports, and 58.67% of U.S. Exports in goods. The largest partners with their total trade in billions of US Dollars are as follows:

Canada: $561.55
China: $386.75
Mexico: $347.34
Japan: $208.13
Germany: $144.02
United Kingdom: $107.19
South Korea: $82.27
France: $69.00
Taiwan: $64.66
Saudi Arabia: $46.03

I try my best to hold a high standard of decorum here, for myself and hopefully for all posters. I have stated before that I always imagine that Gordon Lightfoot may at any time tune in so the deep respect I have for him must be reflected in the atmosphere of this board.

When he sees me he asks "Char! - what's new on the web?" I always tell him that his fans here send their hugs and love and are looking forward to the concerts coming up and hope he's doing great.

Yes JJ - we have 'election on demand' - channel 0 on the dial..lol
You can be my finance minister..I'll give everyone all the money they need to get to Lightfoot concerts..that's my election platform!..

I ain't a gun totin', moose killin', snomobile ridin' hockey mum tho.
BUT from Toronto I CAN see the state of New York across Lake Ontario!
lololol
Char, I for one am glad that you have the high standards that you do for this site. All I can say is CARRY ON!
timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #78
charlene

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #79
christine75

Completey agree with ladya on this one too. I have been on here off and on since about 01/02 and never ever came across anything in here that was anti american or anti canadian. Just a bunch of corfidians showing are love for gordon and his music.
christine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #80
timetraveler

And speaking of Gord's music, sometime around the first part of next month I'm going to see if Barnes & Nobles can, or will, order me any of his other albums that may be on disc.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #81
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post
And speaking of Gord's music, sometime around the first part of next month I'm going to see if Barnes & Nobles can, or will, order me any of his other albums that may be on disc.
If you,are seated at your computer TT then why not "try ebay first"
my mantra whenever I want to buy something from printer inks to media cards etc
At this very moment if you really want CDs of Gord's superb early work (the 5 United Artists albums) you have a choice of the
4 LP set the United Artists collection

for only $9.98 (Buy it now_) at:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/GORDON-LIGHTFOOT...1%7C240%3A1318
Or better still
the complete 5 LP set
because you simply must get Sunday Concert the best live album by any artist by a mile (or a kilometre)
The Original United Artists

Starting bid only $3.99 at:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/GORDON-LIGHTFOOT...1%7C240%3A1318
(both plus shipping of course)
But my best advice is to splurge on Sunday Concert Plus if you can it has 5 bonus tracks including the incomparable hit Spin Spin
There is one available for the buy it now price of $20.02 at:-
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunday-Concert-P...1%7C240%3A1318
Go for it!!
tip go to:-
http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkw..._mdoZQQ_sopZ10

to see all GL items ordered newest first

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 11-26-2008 at 03:38 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #82
timetraveler

to be perfectly honest, Sir John, I don't trust eBay. At least through Barnes & Noble, while it is a bit more expensive & takes a bit more time to get, they will have them mailed to my house, since I'm going to pre-pay for them.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #83
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
Thanks, Sir John. Very well said.

I kept wanting to poke in here and tell everyone to stop responding because it looks like a case of hit and run by the original poster but I like a lot of what came out of it.

As far as Americans/Candians, several years ago we were up in Simcoe, ON and got hit with the quiz of what do you as an American know about Canada. I did OK, being able to name provinces, capitals and one or two politicians but it was quite an eye opener to find how much more Canadians knew of our land to the south than we did of those to the north.
All too true Fez. You'd be horrified to learn just how little Americans know about their own country. I should know, as every time I turn around I'm learning something new practically everyday.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #84
timetraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post
to be perfectly honest, Sir John, I don't trust eBay. At least through Barnes & Noble, while it is a bit more expensive & takes a bit more time to get, they will have them mailed to my house, since I'm going to pre-pay for them.
Well, I got my order from Barnes & Noble just 2 days after I placed the order, so now I know just exactly what I'm going to order come the first of the New Year---Lightfoots Songbook!