banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Chris Castleberry

With the exception of Whispers Of The North and Biscuit City, I'd stay away from the Salute and East of Midnight albums. (at least until they got to liking Gordon Lightfoots music better. )
Chris Castleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:10 AM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Castleberry:
With the exception of Whispers Of The North and Biscuit City, I'd stay away from the Salute and East of Midnight albums. (at least until they got to liking Gordon Lightfoots music better. )
Interesting. I guess we all have different ideas on what others would like because after I wore them out on Don Quixote the next CD I would play straight through would be East Of Midnight to sort of show them his full range. I can't say I'd stay away from anything really.

Bill

spelling
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Borderstone

If I'm tryin to make them a fan,I certainly know not to start with 80's or 90's. I'd also "save" Endless Wire LP for later as well.

Always,if you're going to basically "inform" a friend or anyone on Gordon Lightfoot,it's best to start at the beginning and show them how his music grew and progressed.

If you start with Harmony or in the middle,then go to the UA & then Reprise,it might seem a bit too mixed up. '66 to '04,remember that!
Old 10-13-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

I agree with Borderstone. Start at the beginning.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
DJ in MJ

I'll throw my hat in the B ring too. Take the chronological approach!

In fact, while I have no problem offering an opinion when asked, it is rare I actually "recommend" anything (outside of common sense, that is) because everyone has their own individual tastes and feelings. I happen to enjoy pretty much all of Gord's incarnations over the past five decades, but I'd rather let a new listener choose their own form of enjoyment, and the most logical and unbiased way to do that is to start at the beginning.
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:32 PM   #6
Robby Lake

Wow.Well I Know for a fact that Gord was going thru some really difficult stuff during the late '70's."Endless Wire" was over-produced in the studio.There is no question about that.
Pee Wee Charles did play some sick pedal steel guitar though.I'm sorry,but that version of "The Circle Is Small"is so sappy and uninspiring to me.
"Daylight Katy" is a great song,but they really coated it up way too much.

"Cold On The Shoulder" has some awesome songs on it but it has some weak and mundane stuff too.
I'd stay away from "May I"from "Did She Mantion My Name"(although i love the banjo/guitar thing at the end).That album is great regardless.
"East Of Midnight" has a few duds on it as well.
David Foster helped Gord produce it and brought in a band of very talented yet very commercial session musicians.Aside from Gords' drummer Barry Keane,
most of the album had the Lightfoot Band sitting on the sidelines.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:33 PM   #7
Highwayman

The Soul Is The Rock is a good song, but the 1st time a person hears it, (especially if they're new to Gordon Lightfoot) it can sound rather silly.

I'd also steer clear of May I, Keepin On Yearnin', Canary Yellow Canoe, and Never Say Trust Me, and Beautiful.
I was a HighwaymanAlong the coachroads I did ride A sword and pistol by my sideMany a young maid lost her marbles to my tradeMany a soldier shed his lifeblood on my bladeThe b*****ds hung me in the spring of 25But I am still alive!...
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:26 AM   #8
Sheryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Highwayman:
...I'd also steer clear of... and Beautiful.
WHAT??? (just kidding!!) Yeah, <sigh>, I know, it's a girl thing, I guess. We just loooove being sweet-talked. Hey, works better than chocolate, fellas.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:09 AM   #9
Sydney Steve

Quote:
more tedious & tiresome than the melody are the lyrics.
MistyMoppens , - I am both shocked and relieved to finally hear that point of view from a female re " Beautiful". To me the lyrics sound like a fairly standard line (which probably works 99% of the time) with a view to jumping on a gal's bones...

For me what sets Gord's lyrics apart is that they are very rarely predictable , gushing or trite...I reckon in "Beautiful" he dips his toe into those murky waters.....

[ October 17, 2005, 03:14: Message edited by: Sydney Steve ]
Old 10-17-2005, 08:55 AM   #10
charlene

and yet many times Gord has said BEAUTIFUL is one of his fave songs.....
it doesn't have the special meaning for me anymore but I do love his voice in it and the lyrics still touch that 'girl' in me...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:49 PM   #11
charlene

my toe thanks you....
lol.

hop-along
Old 10-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #12
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyMoppens:
A Lesson In Love.

Everything about it is just plain BAD. It makes my teeth hurt.
I don't like that song either, and May I would be my second choice.

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #13
Chris Castleberry

Actually, I kind of like A Lesson In Love because of the music produced in it. I don't listen to the words much, though.
Chris Castleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:13 PM   #14
Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by MistyMoppens:
quote:Originally posted by Sheryl:
quote:Originally posted by Highwayman:
...I'd also steer clear of... and Beautiful.
WHAT??? (just kidding!!) Yeah, <sigh>, I know, it's a girl thing, I guess. We just loooove being sweet-talked. Hey, works better than chocolate, fellas. [/QUOTE]I hate to admit it but this is another one I just don't like. Never have. (sorry Char!!! don't hit me, GF!)

To me, the only thing more tedious & tiresome than the melody are the lyrics. The entire song lacks his usual passion & creativity. It actually smacks of, "OK. I'll tell you anything you want to hear. It's not as though I haven't said it a million times before to a million other chicks. *yawn*..."

Just another female point of view!
[/QUOTE]It could be that Lightfoot didn't intend on Beautiful being a popular song. Maybe he wrote it just to fill up some space on the album, and then the song caught on. If I remember correctly, If You Could Read My Mind was written as a filler song, but it turned out to be one of his biggest hits.

Cathy
Old 10-20-2005, 05:07 AM   #15
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Perhaps this should give MM an idea for another showdown. Who knew this wonderful little tune could set off such a debate, LOL. I bought DQ before Beautiful became a hit and have loved it since I first heard it. I'm sure I even used a few 'quotes' from it over the years. Taken in context if you play the whole album it fits perfectly. Oh well I guess that's why Baskin Robbins didn't stop at vanilla and chocolate.

And I must say that it means so much to me
Just to be the one who's telling you
I'm telling you
That you're beautiful

Really,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #16
charlene

really...thankyou Bill.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:01 PM   #17
shustad

I'd steer them away from his more 'country sounding' songs. Those always seem to put a downer on a lot of people.
'Waiting for You' is his best I think, most mature and meaningful.
shustad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:51 AM   #18
<Cathy>

I don't care for "Beautiful" either and I'm another female saying that. It just doesn't do it for me - it drones.

I definately wouldn't play "Canary Yellow Canoe" either!

I disagree with not playing the country sounding songs though. My mom always said that she thought Gord was too "sad" sounding--- so I played "Mama Says" and she loved that one.
I think picking the songs depends entirely on who you are picking them for.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:12 PM   #19
Borderstone

The thing I find so odd about "May I" is that this song made it onto an LP but the really great,"You'll Still Be Needing Me" got shelved??!! I don't get that idea at all!

I don't hate "May I",it's amusing but the latter in my view,is timeless! It's from the '60s and yet it doesn't "sound" '60s.

By the way,I was listening to Complete Greatest Hits last night and another song i definetly would not select..."Race Among The Ruins".

Not just because I say start at the beginning but of all the songs on Summertime Dream to be the follow up single to "Wreck",why that one? "Spanish Moss" was a much better choice!

Thanks to all who supported my "beginning" stance. Much appreciated!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:58 PM   #20
joveski

&gt; i definetly would not select..."Race Among The Ruins".

what!?!?
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:34 AM   #21
Sydney Steve

I'm in with my countrymen (even if they are from Melbourne!) on this one...
"Race Among The Ruins" is in my opinion too, a very strong track and not first in line to be ditched....
Old 11-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #22
Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
If I'm tryin to make them a fan,I certainly know not to start with 80's or 90's. I'd also "save" Endless Wire LP for later as well.

Always,if you're going to basically "inform" a friend or anyone on Gordon Lightfoot,it's best to start at the beginning and show them how his music grew and progressed.

If you start with Harmony or in the middle,then go to the UA & then Reprise,it might seem a bit too mixed up. '66 to '04,remember that!
This is excellent advice, Borderstone. It also gives a new listener a chance to hear how his music evolved over the years.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:44 PM   #23
Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by &lt;Cathy&gt;:
I don't care for "Beautiful" either and I'm another female saying that. It just doesn't do it for me - it drones.

I definately wouldn't play "Canary Yellow Canoe" either!

I disagree with not playing the country sounding songs though. My mom always said that she thought Gord was too "sad" sounding--- so I played "Mama Says" and she loved that one.
I think picking the songs depends entirely on who you are picking them for.
On no. Can this site handle two Cathys?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #24
Don Quixote

I also think "Race Among the Ruins" is a fine track, musically very tight, representative of the Pee-Wee Charles era, great vocals and an excellent message. Also, don't just take my word for it--didn't Gord have "Race Among the Ruins" as the working title for the LP, before it got changed to "Summertime Dream"?
He must've thought it was pretty good, too.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:30 PM   #25
Sheryl

I, too, have wondered at many sad lyrics being combined with upbeat melodies. Strange, but, somehow Gord does it and does it well. Not an easy task. And we are the eager, slavering listeners. Well, some of us are, ha!

[ November 02, 2005, 22:29: Message edited by: Sheryl ]