banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Jesse Joe

Default Elton John

Universal Music Canada

Could superstar Elton John be persuaded to play in Moncton

Elton John: come to Moncton!

Superstar to play in two small Ont. cities, raising Metro's hopes

By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff Published Wednesday January 30th, 2008

It's an old small arena in a metropolitan area of only about 100,000 people, but it's going to host Sir Elton John, who loves to play small cities where he's never been before.
Unfortunately, it's the Sudbury Arena in Sudbury, Ontario, not the Moncton Coliseum that the music legend will play in March.
Concert promoters announced just two shows yesterday for the renowned showman, one in Sudbury and the other in Kitchener. Tour promoter Live Nation says there are no plans to announce additional Canadian dates.
The shows are part of a new modus operandi for the British musician, who has also played small markets like Saskatoon.
All of which, of course, leaves people around here asking if John will come to Metro Moncton.
The 60-year-old singer, songwriter and pianist reportedly doesn't like to play outdoor shows, putting the City of Moncton's Magnetic Hill Concert site out of the running, but his willingness to play a 57-year-old arena in Sudbury and a 58-year-old arena in Kitchener make Moncton's aging Coliseum look downright modern by comparison.
And large. The Sudbury Arena has 4,758 seats, and even with music fans on the floor in front there are only 6,386 tickets available for the biggest show in the Northern Ontario city's history. The Moncton Coliseum, by comparison, can hold 6,554 just in its permanent seating.
"It's in the promoter's hands," says Ian Fowler. "They've been trying to get Elton John for years, but the fact he's now playing smaller venues does give us hope, however."
The hope the music mega-star may one day play Metro Moncton may be flickering like a candle in the wind, but Elton John fans should at least take solace in the knowledge the candle is still burning.
Elton John has recorded more than 30 albums. He is a member of the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame and has won five Grammy Awards, winning the Grammy Legend Award in 2001.
He released the best-selling single of all time, "Candle in The Wind" in 1997, with more than 33 million copies sold. He received his knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II in 1998.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Elton John

I wish now that I could have seen the renamed Reggie Dwight back in the early days whren he still had real hair and wore "normal
spectacles and clothes, as he did in this television rendering of my favourite EJ song back in 1972 a show I clearly remember watching live and thinking here was a potential big star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvaycEs1iqM
according to his Wiki entry
"Elton John has been named the second most played artist on British radio over the past 20 years behind George Michael."
which to my mind is a probably unintentionally hilarious way of putting it (about)

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
Moosedog

I've seen Elton in concert a handful of times over the years, probably in 1974 or 1975 for the very first time. He puts on a great show!

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
jj

interesting, early elton (as well as hodgson/davies, early genesis, etc) were personal influences in the 70s - not a big follower beyond capt fantastic but he's certainly endured

when i recieved Elton 60 dvd gift last month I commented that it was a wonderful collection and I would enjoy high flying bird's (love the rawness of the early LP productions like don't shoot me or madman) resurrection live but I'd aleady seen the likes of most of the added early material on youtube or other similar fan sites, mind you not at a high res quality - youtube's scope has diminshed the excitement of trading early footage of most artists but who can complain - I'm sure many artists cringe at the thought their early footage or recordings are available at all

doesn't qualify as "hair" era elton but this also shows that early vocal tone and range

don't think we'll ever see Mike Heff sport an uncle toad head for a live GL performance

easy to find on youtube early decent quality versions of skyline pigeon, grey seal, funeral for a friend, etc, etc plus even a clip of harmony (not the GL) rendition played on organ - odd, he plays major (instead of minor) chord to start the verse

must have been great to see him in early 70s, moosedog - i regret also, jf

hope he come to moncton, jjo - don't tick off his husband or he may cancel in rene fashion

Last edited by jj; 01-31-2008 at 08:13 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Jesse Joe

Right on jj, Mike Heffernan sporting an Uncle Toad head {lol} The Rene thing is a Halifax NS mess. Elton is a super entertainer. My fav song of his as long time been "Daniel". Thanks for sharing the croc video.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 02-01-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote