banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
JG

For you people who don't read the newsgroup, there are clips to all the songs on Harmony at the Tower Records online store. The direct link is:
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2995383

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

[This message has been edited by Cathy (edited April 28, 2004).]
JG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 06:53 PM   #2
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

For you people who don't read the newsgroup, there are clips to all the songs on Harmony at the Tower Records online store. The direct link is:

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:26 PM   #3
violet Blue Horse

Thank you!

I realized while listening to the clips that when he went into the studio to record it was actually just him and his guitar on a single track, DUH. When they layered in the rest they had to work around the single track of vocal plus guitar, in other words there was no way to seperate his guitar from his vocals. I like the sound. Someone once said simple is better. To my ears it has a stronger folk flavor than anything he's done in a long time. I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:

Old 04-28-2004, 10:26 PM   #4
violet Blue Horse

Thank you!

I realized while listening to the clips that when he went into the studio to record it was actually just him and his guitar on a single track, DUH. When they layered in the rest they had to work around the single track of vocal plus guitar, in other words there was no way to seperate his guitar from his vocals. I like the sound. Someone once said simple is better. To my ears it has a stronger folk flavor than anything he's done in a long time. I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:

Old 04-29-2004, 12:57 AM   #5
closetcanadian

Thanks for posting that link Cathy! His voice sounds much better than on APPT. Now I'm really eager to get my hands on the new CD!
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:47 AM   #6
Borderstone

Excellent clips! I wish there were no echo effect on the recordings though. I prefer totally pure sound but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that this will be his best work yet.
From what little I heard,I'd rank the CD as better than APPT and just as good as WFY. Overall 4 1/2 stars,1/2 off for the echo thing. That's just my opinion,of course. 13 days and counting!!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:47 AM   #7
Rosanna

Thank you, Cathy.
Rosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:47 AM   #8
Doug Letcher

Thank you, Cathy.
Doug Letcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:05 AM   #9
muklucannie

I wondred where my post went....I cleared my Hispty and cookies etc. and none of my posts showed up!
ack!
I actually had to remember my password and user name again! (With help from the handy dandy password finder of course)
The clips are great...12 days to go....
thanks Cathy for the info!
Char
muklucannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:05 AM   #10
Char1

I wondred where my post went....I cleared my Hispty and cookies etc. and none of my posts showed up!
ack!
I actually had to remember my password and user name again! (With help from the handy dandy password finder of course)
The clips are great...12 days to go....
thanks Cathy for the info!
Char
Char1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 07:01 AM   #11
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by violet Blue Horse:
Thank you!

I'm not positive about how many tracks they used, but knowing how they do things at Grant, I suspect they at least had a vocal track and a guitar track, so adjusting the sound and volume of Gord's vocals and guitar would have been possible. I just can't imagine them doing it as one single track. It would have made for a very flat sounding recording.

I have a couple of solo pieces on my CD, just me and my guitar. Bob had two stereo mics on my voice on one track, two stereo instrumental mics on my guitar on a second track, and the guitar was also directly plugged into the soundboard on a third track. That makes for a wide array of adjustments to get the sound you want. I'd play a little bit of the song and Bob would stop me and come out and move the mics into a better position. Just the positioning of the mics changes how things sound. It's quite a process.

Yes, I used the same chair Gord uses. I sang in the same mics Gord uses. I drank from the same coffee cup Gord uses....

Old 04-29-2004, 07:03 AM   #12
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by closetcanadian:
Thanks for posting that link Cathy! His voice sounds much better than on APPT. Now I'm really eager to get my hands on the new CD!

I think he sounds very relaxed, probably due to the fact that he was just recording demo tracks and wasn't really concerned about everything being perfect. In the end, they turned out great because of it.

Come on May 11th.... hurry up and get here!

Old 04-29-2004, 07:06 AM   #13
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Excellent clips! I wish there were no echo effect on the recordings though. I prefer totally pure sound but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that this will be his best work yet.
From what little I heard,I'd rank the CD as better than APPT and just as good as WFY. Overall 4 1/2 stars,1/2 off for the echo thing. That's just my opinion,of course. 13 days and counting!!

You are listening to ram files, B, and the quality is nowhere near what you'll hear on the CD. By echo effects, do you mean reverb? I didn't hear any echoing at all.

Old 04-29-2004, 07:11 AM   #14
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Cool. I think his voice is not as full as on APPT. There is no way of getting around this. Refresh your memory and listen to APPT and it is very apparant. Compressing sound files (just like smoking!) also has a negative effect on some peoples vocal quality so I am hoping the actual CD sounds better.

It's hard for me to have an opinion on the songwriting being the sound clips are so short. Still, one of the songs grabbed me and I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

His best work? Not even close.

From what I've heard, I'd have to say the opposite. APPT was recorded at Grant Avenue, but it was mastered in a Nashville studio, where they are known for compressing songs into pancakes. APPT is way too compressed and flat sounding to me.

I think his voice sounds warmer and more natural on everything I've heard so far from the new CD.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #15
Don Quixote

Thanks for the clips, Cathy! I agree it is reverb, not echo, and reverb tends to make the sound quality a bit more "lush" and full. How great to use Gord's chair, mike, cup! That gave me shivers. I just moved from Atlanta to L.A., but have wanted to record in that studio. Are they continually booked? How are they to work with>
Thanks,
Sean

------------------
sean
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:55 AM   #16
searam

Thanks for the clips, Cathy! I agree it is reverb, not echo, and reverb tends to make the sound quality a bit more "lush" and full. How great to use Gord's chair, mike, cup! That gave me shivers. I just moved from Atlanta to L.A., but have wanted to record in that studio. Are they continually booked? How are they to work with>
Thanks,
Sean

------------------
sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:01 AM   #17
Don Quixote

By the way, the clips are awesome! As always, I love and admire his writing, and there is always one track that knocks me out - Clouds of Lonliness does it for me. I can't wait to hear them in their entirety!
Thanks, again,
Sean

------------------
sean
Old 04-29-2004, 10:01 AM   #18
searam

By the way, the clips are awesome! As always, I love and admire his writing, and there is always one track that knocks me out - Clouds of Lonliness does it for me. I can't wait to hear them in their entirety!
Thanks, again,
Sean

------------------
sean
Old 04-29-2004, 10:12 AM   #19
Selene

For those of us who are not familliar, can someone expain sound comressing? What is it, what does it do and why do they use it?
Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:12 AM   #20
Martin/12

For those of us who are not familliar, can someone expain sound comressing? What is it, what does it do and why do they use it?
Martin/12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:25 AM   #21
Don Quixote

There are basically two kinds of compression. One compresses the file with 100%, accurate sound. The other, which is always an area of contention in the recording world, compresses the sound, deleting the bits that cannot be haerd by human ears. Studio engineers are amazing artisans, and when a great engineer is at the board, compression is just a way of life and the sound is superb. Kind of like the reverb issue, you always "hunt" for a way to make music better.
Hope that made sense - I just got up not too long ago, in Marina Del Rey!
Sean

------------------
sean
Old 04-29-2004, 10:25 AM   #22
searam

There are basically two kinds of compression. One compresses the file with 100%, accurate sound. The other, which is always an area of contention in the recording world, compresses the sound, deleting the bits that cannot be haerd by human ears. Studio engineers are amazing artisans, and when a great engineer is at the board, compression is just a way of life and the sound is superb. Kind of like the reverb issue, you always "hunt" for a way to make music better.
Hope that made sense - I just got up not too long ago, in Marina Del Rey!
Sean

------------------
sean
Old 04-29-2004, 12:10 PM   #23
jeffyjo

The first type of sound "compression" described is encoding to a lossy audio codec, such as MP3 or AAC. When done correctly, and at a high enough bitrate, this can be transparent (indistinguishable from the original sound in blind listening tests.)

The second type is dynamic range compression, which in my opinion is the worst problem facing the music industry today. In the past 10-15 years, the average LOUDNESS level of CDs has gone up a huge amount. This "loudness race", as it's called, is the result of record companies competing to have the loudest CD in the CD changer, the loudest song on the radio, and the most attention grabbing single.

Unfortunately, for anyone who cares about sonic quality, this extreme dynamic range compression is terrible. It makes music sound unnatural, flat, just plain.. unmusical!

Even Gord isn't immune. Listen to the title track of Waiting For You. The huge dramatic drumbeats that come in are a full 10db louder than the music surrounding them. Now that's impact! The relatively low volume level of the CD as a whole is a sign of a mastering engineer who cares about sound quality, not selling records or getting a "hip", hypercompressed, modern sound.

Compare that to APPT. On this CD, EVERY SECOND of EVERY SONG is at maximum volume! Even the quiet parts of the quiet songs are at the same volume level as the loud drum hits on WFY.

And the really bad news? Going by the tracks I downloaded from iTunes.. Harmony is even more compressed than APPT.. just sad..

to learn more visit http://www.loudnessrace.net/
jeffyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:10 PM   #24
Cyaneyes

The first type of sound "compression" described is encoding to a lossy audio codec, such as MP3 or AAC. When done correctly, and at a high enough bitrate, this can be transparent (indistinguishable from the original sound in blind listening tests.)

The second type is dynamic range compression, which in my opinion is the worst problem facing the music industry today. In the past 10-15 years, the average LOUDNESS level of CDs has gone up a huge amount. This "loudness race", as it's called, is the result of record companies competing to have the loudest CD in the CD changer, the loudest song on the radio, and the most attention grabbing single.

Unfortunately, for anyone who cares about sonic quality, this extreme dynamic range compression is terrible. It makes music sound unnatural, flat, just plain.. unmusical!

Even Gord isn't immune. Listen to the title track of Waiting For You. The huge dramatic drumbeats that come in are a full 10db louder than the music surrounding them. Now that's impact! The relatively low volume level of the CD as a whole is a sign of a mastering engineer who cares about sound quality, not selling records or getting a "hip", hypercompressed, modern sound.

Compare that to APPT. On this CD, EVERY SECOND of EVERY SONG is at maximum volume! Even the quiet parts of the quiet songs are at the same volume level as the loud drum hits on WFY.

And the really bad news? Going by the tracks I downloaded from iTunes.. Harmony is even more compressed than APPT.. just sad..

to learn more visit http://www.loudnessrace.net/
Cyaneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:28 PM   #25
SilverHeels

Cathy,
thanks for posting this link. Altho only 30secs for each song, it is enough to convince me this album is going to be one his best. His voice sounds rich and warm, far better than on APPT which, when I first heard it, I cried for the Gordon Lightfoot lost to us. But he's back! I cannot wait to receive my copy of the cd.

SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote