banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 03-03-2006, 05:22 AM   #1
geodeticman

Send a message via AIM to geodeticman

To all the kind souls who posted friendly Q's regarding my "handle" i.e. geodeticman: I would ask you this. Without any further mention by me of my medical difficulty (head injury et al) except where germaine, I raise it one more time in a request for help on my damaged memory on the mend. A few of you speculated when I mentioned my name used to be mapman , in the time period of roughly 1999 - 2001, when I had last used a computer. One or two of you did some data mining to find mention of an earlier mapman in alt.music.lightfoot and this corfid room as well. The obvious Q arose when it was brought thankfully to my attention, sparing further embarrassmen to me, that as I noted there were at least three other variations of mapman on the 'net currently, and as John Knowles pointed out to avoid confusion about me (thanks ) a mapman frequents this GL forum . I also considered at a few forum members request if they could call me shorter versions such as g-man and geoman that there were also some users in this forum by that name. I sure do thank u all for the assistance in helping avoid confusion and embarrassment to me in bringing these things to my attention. I will retain geodeticman in the room, and u can of course, as many do casually, call me whatever u like. But I want point out that when I say I "used 2 b mapman" , i found my memory was wrong, as John's research also supported. from the depth's of my brain's scratched hardrive, I recalled I used to go by gisman , not mapman ! I don't know if it was alt.music.lightfoot i used to frequent around 2001 , but rather i think the chatroom that plumbguru2 , oksky , and some others frequented before it became primarily ( i hope i have this correct, per john knowles kind advice ) a large FAQ and GL data warehouse with lyrics, pics , and concert reviews that I believe has been a monumental effort by plumbguru2, sorry if i am wrong or ont including someone else's hardwork ) John mentioned this in his posting to me cautioning me on changing to g-man etc. , and whre i asked what was shirley hoggard's handle ( solved ) . Well , indeed, I used to go by gisman, but since then '00 ) , the ubiqituous use of gisman has proliferated in several versions when mine grew defunct in the context i believe of gisman@netcom.com ?? . to explain that one, gis stanbds for geographic information systems , and THIS is what I bet Shirley Hoggard will remember ( I will be mailing her ) - gisman. THAT is in use use in so many ways now, even a a name for a forum advisor that is quite technical in the area I work in ( do a google search on gisman ) , and you should see a page devoted to largely computer science , but also GIS systems questions in topology ( not topography ) but rather the mathematical geometric relationships definition analysing point , line , and polygons, and vertices/links intrinsic to how one method of map data is stored for analsyses such as heuristic shortest-route algorithms. sorry walls if this likely last reference to what u despised as technical "BS" but . too bad , and as advised by more tolerant GL forum members, I have raised a non-Gord subject in small-talk. thanks to u all for the all the newbie help in the short 2 weeks or so i have been in this room , and how to avoid pratfalls as i remember how ro use a pc. : ) onward to GORD subjects for me from here on out ! geodeticman - (Steve in Colorado)
geodeticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
You've obviously put a lot of thought into something that you want others to read, so why not make it readable? No offense, just a suggestion.

1. Paragraph: One of several distinct subdivisions of a text intended to separate ideas; the beginning is usually marked by a new indented line.
It's most likely a result of his brain injury. Oh yeah... try writing something after your brain has been injured and you'll see just how difficult it can become!
Old 03-04-2006, 04:32 AM   #3
geodeticman

Cathy - thank you. could not have said it better myself.

Watchman - no offense taken. And I thought *I* was anal-retentive ! LOL - no offense. hehehe Your point is well made and well received. Just one question on your admirable demonstration of how to use a dictionary and proudly display the results - which I will post on my refrigerator along with my daughter's early elementary crayon drawings. Question being - after taking the time to read a heartfelt and quite difficult posting for me to write (literally and figuratively ) , is the only banal thought you have for me , while trying to reach out to some new friends in our common interest, how to properly indent and write in generally accepted English 102 fashion ? That ia a shame , as I have been very thoughtful and interested in your GL-related postings and admired your well thought-out, and even poignant at times observations ? During my reading of your interesting postings, it has never occurred to me, I repeat *never* to even observe my forum-mates punctuation etc.; not to mention comment rudely or perhaps more generously in your case - making a tentatively polite but presumptious comment ( if one is a bit Machiavellian, which I am not ). Watchman - you stray from what is important in life if this very small occurence is revealing of you. I suspect not though - I suspect you, almost by definition as a GL fan, are a kind and thoughtful "Rainy Day" person. Cathy was indeed correct with regard to the brain injury - but as I do not wish for that to preceed me , rather go ahead and take my chops in the rebuilding process of mental pathways, which indeed include such remedial matters as elementary english education. Perhaps it seems I have a long way to go , as in 1995-1999 I co-authored a 400 - 500 level textbook in GIS mapping science. But that was before the head injury. While that is on hold with my former Geodesy professor awaiting final peer-review and editorial revisions, I did indeed write my "half" of the book sufficiently to satisfy the far more critical (LOL) read by my old proff who makes John Houseman (The Paper Chase) seem like Mary Poppins . This proff is co-author, it is in fact under contract still with Ann Arbor publishers at Univ. of Wisc. - Madison . Sadly, the "on-hold" is due to my head-injury , which they have been gracious enough to not sue over while under contract, admirably they have chosen compassion and are not litiguous in the matter. Perhaps that is the message I chose to emphasize - compassion. And, as I have posted before, as GL wrote "...be known as a man who will always be candid on questions that do not relate..." . Sorry for the lack of easier-read punctuation and general lack of intro-body-conclusion format, footnotes, citings, etc. When my mind and fingers permit I will be focusing mire likely on white-papers presentations again rather than impressivley-written chat-room writing protocol. I prefer to lean back , put my boots up on the rail, lower my hat to shield the sun, and read friendly colleagues' GL postings with my eyes focused on salient ( even sentient at times ! ) content in what they say, more so than HOW they say it.
But seriously Watchman, I chose grace and dignity in my interpretation of whay you wrote in the end. While I do not understand your pre-occupation in this case, I do remain open to critique and ultimately I know I will benefit if I keep my sense of humour. Thanks Watchman , and BTW , that is one of my all-time favorite songs, too. - DA mapster.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Borderstone

Someone pass the Tylenol,that gave me a headache! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I feel like I've just read a transcript of the ramblings in our President's head!! :D LOL!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Dang. Next to John Fowles, he's the typingist man on the board.
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
brink-

I find what Geo has to say interesting. If the rest of you don't then don't bother reading it. I think everyone here has posted something that isn't of interest to everybody. So don't read it if you don't want to.
Geo, now is the time to sit back, lower the hat and think of your nicer friends.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
charlene

I do too Brink...it's quite amazing that he and Cathy both have come so far with their respective recoveries. They should be applauded. If syntax/spelling, paragraph indents, or even uninteresting subject matter etc.create a problem for some to read then don't read the post or if you do please exhibit a modicum of decency and a dollop of respect. Saying you mean no offense does not ensure that none will be taken. While you feel you gave none Watchman I cringed when I read your post. My first rreaction was 'such pettiness and arrogance." No offense meant, just an observation.
Please give the respect you would want for yourself, step up above your first reaction and then step back.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:41 AM   #8
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Geo, you know I like your posts. Keep 'em coming. There's something for everyone here at corfid.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:02 AM   #9
geodeticman

To the kind folk who had charitable things to say regarding the grammatically-incorrect posting I made , "bless you all and keep you on the road to better things" .
To those who did not - I offer with the best of intentions this: "...Shake hands with the Father, the Son and the ... Holy Ghost. The impossible believer, and the Heavenly Host....." - u all know the rest. I don't prosthelyze or thump, just remind of being more tolerant as all great religions espouse. You who would criticize reveal even harsher character when I make peace offerings. I am seeing those three monkeys.... or is it those 3 crows on the fence... LOL . one more time - I offer my apology for the faults or uninteresting content. But if just ONE person connects, and there are several, I am content, and Brink , : ) , I AM lowerin' my hat and taking stock of the nice folk in here. To all the kind ones, and even ambivolent but polite.. thanks again.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:17 AM   #10
SilverHeels

<<While you feel you gave none Watchman I cringed when I read your post. My first rreaction was 'such pettiness and arrogance." No offense meant, just an observation.>>

Char,that was my reaction too! What on earth has happened to this Forum!
I never expected to find such a lack of compassion and understanding here at Corfid.
If Gord were to ever read these cruel jibes, he would be so ashamed of those posters.
And Geo-man, YOU have no need to apologise.
Keep on posting.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:02 AM   #11
geodeticman

Brink , Silverheels, Char, Sheryl, and Cathy,et al who have been kind - I simply say - thank you. And Silverheels, I could not help but think like you what Gord would react with to such petty postings, but I seriously think it would be with sadness and a sense of, perhaps "did they NOT listen to what I wrote ? " I think we share our referential respect for Gord to speculate he would likely be saddened and maybe even admonish; but true to form likely remain philosophical and "be kind in the face of such common disgrace" . Or, maybe, pull out a book and rusty sword and shout to the other shore "Just let it ride" - - Steve
p.s. - Cathy how u feelin ? 'PM me when u can. I am preparing a *short* letter to that wonderful lady Shirley Hoggard from my wife and daughter and I. I appreciate your and the others' frequent spirit-lifting comments when I am just starting to feel I can't type, or write, avoid non-sequiters, and maintqain a linear progression in thought flow. And then bingo-bango ! U or one of the others bolster me when I am struggling to remember what all has happened in the last 6 years. One thing for sure - while I may have forgotten my name and other embarrassments , i have always known and remembered God, my wife and family, my work, and Gord's therapeutic and thoughtful music - in that order. What more is there you folks keep getting "that feelin' in your soul" - that sustaining and strengthening Lightfoot feeling.
-Steve aka Geoman gisman mapman mapgeek g-man !
Old 03-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #12
SilverHeels

Steve, I like your take on how Gord might react to all this stuff and altho you may have trouble remembering some things (and I am sure it will come back in time), I think you can teach us a lot about love and life. I, for one, and I know there are others in this forum, look forward to your postings. When you are feeling down or perhaps a little insecure, you can always contact us - your 'Rainy Day People'.
Hang in there - you are doing great.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #13
charlene

yes Steve - you are correct in your thinking. I always post and read the posts with the thought of "What if Mr. Lightfoot read this?" Not to say there is any ass-kissing mind you but a generally kind and respectful atmosphere is always a good thing. And in keeping with one (of many) wonderful personality trait Lightfoot has I believe that being humble, having humility holds each of us in good stead in our daily interactions with all others. Like I said before - step up and then step back....it may be the kind thing to do.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #14
Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
I do too Brink...it's quite amazing that he and Cathy both have come so far with their respective recoveries. They should be applauded. If syntax/spelling, paragraph indents, or even uninteresting subject matter etc.create a problem for some to read then don't read the post or if you do please exhibit a modicum of decency and a dollop of respect. Saying you mean no offense does not ensure that none will be taken. While you feel you gave none Watchman I cringed when I read your post. My first rreaction was 'such pettiness and arrogance." No offense meant, just an observation.
Please give the respect you would want for yourself, step up above your first reaction and then step back.
Thank you, Char. I was one of the lucky ones. The brain injury didn't mess up my writing skills at all... But I have seen many people in the brain injury program that I attend who are unable to even speak a simple sentence, let alone type one out. I saw it in John in the beginning, although he has greatly improved over the years, and I see it in Geo. I'm sure with continued practice, he'll redevelop those little pathways in his brain that allow him to find easier ways to express his thoughts. And I'm with you. I find his posts to be quite interesting.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:30 PM   #15
spammer

It's not that we don't find Geomans stuff interesting, because we do (or at least I do) it's just that it strains the eyes to read all of it. To type it in paragraphs wouldn't hurt at all.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
charlene

While what you say may be true James it's all in the rude way the idea of it was presented that was galling.
And i am sure if geoman could fulfill our wildest fantasies and compose paragraphs and sentences worthy of Shakespeare he would do that. To most of us it's really a non-issue anyway.
If all I had to concern myself was eyestrain while reading his posts I'd be happy - I find myself running to the dictionary with every post.LOL
Geoman is not only exercising my eyes but my brain as well and that's a good thing. I love to learn new words and new things and about new people that come into my life.

As Mr Lightfoot has been known to say -"do the best with what you've got."
I think geoman surpasses that in many, many ways.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #17
talbot10

Quote:
Originally posted by James Suber:
It's not that we don't find Geomans stuff interesting, because we do (or at least I do) it's just that it strains the eyes to read all of it. To type it in paragraphs wouldn't hurt at all.
Don't use "we". We does'nt enter into it. Being an insensitive person is strictly your own choice. Yeah ... you got a big problem becuase you have to strain your eyes to read something. consider yourself blessed. By the way..stuff your other apology! it is not believable.
Bill Hall
talbot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #18
spammer

[quote]Originally posted by talbot10:
Quote:
By the way..stuff your other apology! it is not believable.
Fine, I'm sorry I posted a video of you having a fit at your computer tearing up your keyboard. Happy?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:18 PM   #19
Cathy

James, has it ever crossed your mind that it takes every bit of Geo's will just to type a simple sentence? Or maybe he just hasn't figured out that there is such a thing as paragraphs yet. You see, we're so used to dividing things into paragraphs that I'm pretty sure we THINK in paragraphs, something Geo still has to develop.
The thing is, with some brain injuries, you have to relearn composition and language skills all over again, and it's much harder to relearn everything the second time around!
Having a brain injury changes your entire way of thinking. You have to develop new ways of doing just about everything... things that were so easy before. And some people, depending on their injury and where it was in the brain, are able to adapt more easily than others.
I believe what he needs to do most right now is practice... practice... practice... And in the mean time, we need to be patient... patient... patient.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #20
spammer

OK.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #21
talbot10

Quote:
Originally posted by James Suber:
quote:Originally posted by talbot10:
Quote:
By the way..stuff your other apology! it is not believable.
Fine, I'm sorry I posted a video of you having a fit at your computer tearing up your keyboard. Happy?
Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy!! that video in itself was not the problem at all.....but did you have to film it while I was in my underwear !!!.
bill hall
Old 03-07-2006, 05:08 AM   #22
SilverHeels

I'm beginning to think DMD(or whatever he called himself) has reincarnated yet again!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #23
geodeticman

Cathy , you very correct. After the eye operations , I am able to see ! But.... I have to go back over the sentance several times to correct my most eggregious mis-spellings, and as you said indeed... pactice pactice partice. Silverheels, talbot10, brink, charlene, Sheryl, you are most kind and intuitive. Sorry if i miised one or 2 . It is hard to wake up, remember my name with varying difficulty, then desperately try and figure out what day it is, what bills are due, and then after hugging my wife for what must be a full minute not remember how we did the day before. Then go outside and and my next door neighboor's 11 year -old daughter runs up and hugs me and says "Hi Steve!", and I cannot remember her name, though i have seen her thru emergancies and we've baby-sat her as she was growing up for a long time. She knows I cannot remember, but it still brings tears to my eyes. I say this not to draw undue attention to my particular challenges ( I know we all havesome....) but rather to reflect for no good reason what the kind... and otherwise postings brought to mind in my non-sequiter fashion. In My Fashion ! hey , cool. I got one 2 ! to the above kind ppl who responded so nice, I ca't thank you enough. I am begininng toi think I may be in over my head in this forum and its quick-witted majority and sharp-tongued minority. From private postings i know that many of you are recovering or did... from tragic medical events, and I am by no means special or big news. I just thank you for the comradeship. Perhaps when I can indent, make it "more easy to read on the eyes" , seperate into logical paragraphs, etc., then it may be more appropriate to return to this room. I am not meaning to be pathetic sounding, just express heartfelt regret. btw - i just remembered i have a spell-checker ! easy to take such things for granted. Thank for the thoughgtful compliments on some of my content I've written about. As to verbosity, I must apologise and explain briefly. Setting aside my overly-academic background lacking balance, really it comes from humorously listening to dinner table conversations while being raised by absolutely magnificent parents -Ward and Jone Cleaver DO exist ! LOL seriously, Dad is now retired from NASA whwere he was Director of Unmanned Launch Vehicles. He rebuilt the originally trashed Atlas rocket, and built another from scratch - the Centaur. This Atlas-Centaur launch vehicle propelled countless inter-planetary spacecraft into trajectory such as the lunar Surveyor, Viking (the real fist Mars soft Lander !)Mariner, Voyageur ("VYGA from Star Trek One), OAO with Germany , Helios - to the Sun, and countless others. He'd scratch out launch trajectorie and new theory on napkins at dinner, while Mom - a psychologist, who worked in research, would wax enthusiastic on new machines her and Dad were going to build together.....in those days dad would do all intial computations on sliderule, and then do days-upon-days chekcs with original analogue punch-card driven computers. point being..... they spoke in a language I enthusiastically learned so I could ask reasonably intelligent questions for fun. Dinner was moreof a think tank (for them), and an amazement and idolizing of them for me. so... as u can imagine, with a father who wrote IQ tests for CU-Boulder when he taught prior toNASA, and mom who expunged abnormal psychology and theorized it would be found to be bio-chemical abberhations (early insites !) , it wasall i knew as normal to speak in 5, 10, @ $20 dollar words as amatter of routine. been trying all my life to place it in check. well loosing half of my memory helped, butit still burps out at times - and for that I apologize. Perhaps , as I started out to say farther up, maybe I will just lurk awhile to enjoy *your* guys postings on Lightfoot, as thats all i have wanted to share to begin with, or consider getting the bad taste out of my mouth from the very few foul-mouthed ppl who , as far as I can tell, were not this way until I started posting., evidence perhaps being that one perason kindly questioned the room "what has HAPPENED to this forum" with regard, i am sad to say, the ire i seemed to provoke in a few and other who would follow with jeers. its the kind ones i will remember , and believe me - I am SURE Mr, Lightfoot would esily pick out the rainy day people amongst you - didn't take me long. i will once agqain lean back boots on rail, hat down, and ponder all this before posting again for awhile. to those wish to chat - please send me PM's and I'll value them immensely. gots to remember how to typor those full sentences as Cathy put. miss u guys in open exchange for awhile, but the net effect ( no pun) is I have apparently caused more dissension in a room that should be enjoying Gord's work more than condemning or defending me. Ph - and I know that its really only been a small perentage of posting s in the big picture - and Gord talk rules as it should. I have just never had such a problem in a GL room before. I will adjust my attitude first with a hike and some good Gord music, andmy dear wife's company, then look forward to at some point rejoining on more than a lurking basis. in Gord we trust ! - Salute my friends for now ! "her fragrance all... in my keeping" - always thought of this when I caught a citrus waft of fragrance that reminded of my forst love and her perfume, and in turn Gord's "Softly" ".. and it lingered on long after she'd gone..." as wll from "Affair on 8th Ave." . - Peace to all, friends. - Steve geodeticman. "keep on mappin'"
Old 03-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #24
SilverHeels

Steve,
if you lurk and not post, this forum will be a much sadder place. You are on an incredible journey and I, for one, would like to travel it with you. Try not to let the insensitives here
discourage you. You are doing great, man. Of course it isnt easy. Cathy, I know, can empathise with what you are going through while the rest of us can only care and try to understand.
If you choose, for whatever reason, to merely lurk, then keep in touch with me privately.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #25
charlene

Steve - "keep on postin".....please.
remember - practise makes perfect!
And if it doesn't - who the hell cares?
My dictionary is getting lots of use and one day I may even be able to incorporate some of those words into a sentence!
lol