banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-01-2003, 03:11 AM   #1
Iron

While at work last night here in one of NW Pa.'s bituminus mining sites,I saw Gordon doing a show...Let me set the stage...Just after dark,about 6:35 pm,dark blue/black backdrop,horizon as the stagefloor began to be illuminated by streaks and streams of red and ribbons of soft white.The walkman was spinning the Wreck for the umpteenth time.
My co-workers 3 and me, thought it was the northern lights but found out today it was something to do with a solar flare-up.
I have photos I've taken at shows and many more mindfully enclosed,but what my minds eye saw last night sent shivers from my head to my toes....Plainly He was standing on Mothers northern stage with that deep penetrating dark eyed gaze....
One of my crew ask me,"what causes those lights?" I knowingly replied "electricity,my friend from the north is playing tonight,those are his stage lights you see so bright.." He just said "OOOOK"
Just the light was spectactular,if you saw it You'd know...
Did anyone else see the whole show???
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:14 PM   #2
loveyagord

Iron, I liked that... stage lights -- your friend up north is playing tonight. Wow!

I didn't see the lights due to the solar flares, but I saw some pics on TV and heard they were spectacular in places. I heard on the news last night that they are supposed to be visible for the next several days. I'll look for them and think of our friend up north playing his 12-string on stage.

[This message has been edited by loveyagord (edited November 01, 2003).]
loveyagord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 07:15 PM   #3
Borderstone

That sounds absolutely awesome! I can even picture that!

------------------
Borderstone (Hello! )
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:00 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
That sounds absolutely awesome! I can even picture that!

Nicely cued "B". Because Cathy of this parish has asked me to post a super aurora pic for her
[IMG]http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/aurora.jpg
[/IMG] http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/aurora.jpg

stupid UBB code system I insist that the code I used as shown above works usually perhaps Al (Watchman) can look at it for me the URL is definitely correct. so I have put the URL there too so anyone can check the link out. Dammit!!!
So above should be a picture of the Northern
Lights that was taken from Cathy's friends lawn in Northern Maine the week before last?
It was taken on October 30th at 7:30 PM in Fort Fairfield, Maine
Cathy said "I have tried to post it in The Glowing Show thread, but can't remember how
to do it."
Tut tut (both you Cathy and Norman Miller). I thought by now both of you would have learnt from my topic, but obviously not. So I'll have to review it and try to make it idiot-proof. (well at least Norman can claim to have been too busy applying Canary Yellow paint to his Canoe to read and assimulate my instructions!! And Cathy has been busy a'troubadouring recently

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited November 11, 2003).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:06 PM   #5
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Thanks for posting the link, John.
Honestly, I spent an hour trying to post the picture, but with no success. Believe me, it's not your instructions. It's my lack of computer knowledge.

To everyone, please take a look at he picture. Just click the link John posted. This is the most amazing display of Northern Lights I've ever seen. The entire sky was lit up, not just in the north, and even though it was taken at 7:30PM, when it was supposed to be dark, it looked like sunset outside. It was kind of spooky.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 07:07 PM   #6
loveyagord

Absolutely breathtaking! I wonder what they would be like over water? Wouldn't you just love to hold hands with Gord and watch the northern lights (and maybe have a ring-neck loon call out in the background)? Ooops. My thoughts are all astray. Thanks for posting, Cathy.
loveyagord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:07 PM   #7
TheWatchman

Unbelievable!
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:01 AM   #8
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Unbelievable!

Thanks, Watchman! It was absolutely unbelievable. We get some pretty good displays here in Northern Maine, but this one was definitely the best I've seen.
The air even felt weird that night, almost like it had an electric quality to it. These lights were dancing across the sky like a waving curtain. It was actually just slighly darker than what the picture shows, but not a whole lot. There was a little more contrast between colors, dark and light, which made it even more beautiful.

I also have a picture of an white moose that someone snapped a picture of here in Limestone, on October 3rd. Want to see that?
Thanks again for posting it.

Cathy

Old 11-12-2003, 08:10 AM   #9
TheWatchman

Heck yeah! I'd love to see a picture of a white moose. Email it to me and I can post it here. Everytime somebody asks me about my travels I always tell them there is no place as peaceful and beautiful as northern Maine.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:25 AM   #10
TheWatchman

Here it is. Cathy says only 1 in 100,000 born are white! You are indeed looking at a rare occurance. Is this an albino?
Old 11-12-2003, 10:20 AM   #11
Oma

Great pictures!!! Thanks for collaborating and getting them posted for us to view!

The picture of the Northern Lights is beautiful...Wow! I remember living up north (WI) and whenever our "one and only" TV channel would get fuzzy, we would know it was because the Northern Lights were putting on a show for us! A show better than what was on TV, that's for sure!

The white moose picture is really awesome! I never saw a white moose before! I don't even think I've ever seen a real, live, brown moose! Only pictures.
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 10:59 AM   #12
TheWatchman

Same here Oma. I've never seen any live moose, despite being in Cathy's town 3 times! I live they mainly come out and night when it is most likely you will hit them on the road. Very scary.

Most of the people that I talk to up there say moose are ugly. I love the way they look. Do you like them Cathy?
Old 11-12-2003, 07:27 PM   #13
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Here it is. Cathy says only 1 in 100,000 born are white! You are indeed looking at a rare occurance. Is this an albino?

I can't tell if it's an albino or not. The eyes aren't very visible, and I don't know that anybody has gotten close enough to it to find out. I suspect it is, though. One in 100,000 are born in the wild. I hear there are a few in the Fort Kent area, 60 miles north of Limestone. I really doubt there are 100,000 moose in Aroostook County. In fact, there probably aren't 100,000 people in the county, and I'm pretty sure there are more people than moose. There must be a strong mutation to have more than one white moose in a relatively small area.
Watchman, I can't believe you haven't seen a moose in your travels. I see at least two every week in the spring, summer and fall. I guess you have to know when and where to look. In early mornings, right after sunrise, they are usually standing along the tree line, soaking up the sun. In fact, this time of year, they are out and about most of the day. In the summer they remain in the woods to stay cool, but come out after sundown. That's why there are so many of them on the roads in the evening. Many people get injured or killed from hitting them.
They are generally intelligent, non-agressive animals. The bulls can get rather nasty during rutting season, mid to late fall. They've been known to charge hunters and even will chase down a car. The worse thing you can do is beep your horn or flick your lights if a bull moose is standing in the road. They're a bit territorial. If you see them start swinging their antlers, you'd better get the heck out of there.
The biggest moose taken in Northern Maine during hunting season this year weighed over 1400 lbs and had an antler span of 67 inches. Not something you'd want to tangle with.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

Old 11-12-2003, 09:39 PM   #14
Iron

I still say it was stage lights...
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote