banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #1401
fkafl

This is an extremely difficult one to properly post on because there is such a HUGE repertoire of Lightfoot's songs. Be that as it may, I have to say that my favorite song has to be "I'll Do Anything" from "Shadows", which is also my favorite album of his. I first heard Lightfoot's music on the radio in 1966 thereabouts, when I was a kid in elementary school - a song called "I'm Not Sayin'". I was hooked.
On "Harmony", the title track is very nice, but my favorite there is "River of Light".
fkafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #1402
bjm7777

This is an extremely difficult one to properly post on because there is such a HUGE repertoire of Lightfoot's songs. Be that as it may, I have to say that my favorite song has to be "I'll Do Anything" from "Shadows", which is also my favorite album of his. I first heard Lightfoot's music on the radio in 1966 thereabouts, when I was a kid in elementary school - a song called "I'm Not Sayin'". I was hooked.
On "Harmony", the title track is very nice, but my favorite there is "River of Light".
Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #1403
B45-12

I think that part of the brilliance of GL's music is that he can express all the feelings we have at different periods of our life. When I was rafting, I loved the sea songs. When I was dating, it was his relationship-type songs. Now, just last night, "A Painter Passing Through" knocked me off my feet. It's expresses exactly the different seasons and feelings of my life. So right now, that's my favorite. Rock on, Gord! Hope Austin gives you a great welcome!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #1404
Madeleine

I think that part of the brilliance of GL's music is that he can express all the feelings we have at different periods of our life. When I was rafting, I loved the sea songs. When I was dating, it was his relationship-type songs. Now, just last night, "A Painter Passing Through" knocked me off my feet. It's expresses exactly the different seasons and feelings of my life. So right now, that's my favorite. Rock on, Gord! Hope Austin gives you a great welcome!
Old 06-28-2007, 10:24 PM   #1405
Jennifer

I agree, Sheryl from North Cali. Last summer and fall I played so much GL it was like the "soundtrack" for that period of my life. While on roadtrips I listened to those songs about wanderlust, while by the great lakes we listened to songs about the high seas, when fall rolled around, Sunday Concert seemed to compliment that atmosphere best when its time to start relecting inward.

And can't forget, last February, I experienced utter bliss listening to Spanish Moss and Miguel while overlooking the azure blue ocean from the balcony of our resort in Cancun
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:08 AM   #1406
B45-12

Totally forgotten about Spanish Moss! I can see my reacquaintance period is gonna cost me a bundle! One more day, Jenn, and we're free for 48 whole hours!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:08 AM   #1407
Madeleine

Totally forgotten about Spanish Moss! I can see my reacquaintance period is gonna cost me a bundle! One more day, Jenn, and we're free for 48 whole hours!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 PM   #1408
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin'
spammer

Default Re: Favorite Lightfoot Song & Why? II

For the time being, my favorite Gord song is Rainbow Trout. One of the best melodies ever written by any artist.

(After 6 years of being buried, I thought I would bring this topic back up, as there have been a number of new people to join the board since then ).
Shutup and Deal, I'm Losin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #1409
paskatefan

It's very hard to limit it to just one song, but if I absolutely have to, it would be "Circle of Steel." I love recorder flute, and the melody is so gorgeous!

Other faves - Sea of Tranquility, In My Fashion, Ghosts of Cape Horn, Dream Street Rose, Summertime Dream, Seven Island Suite, Hiway Songs, The Soul is the Rock, A Tree too Weak to Stand, Daylight Katy, Morning Glory, Approaching Lavender, a Passing Ship, Whispers of the North, If Children Had Wings, Slide on Over ...

Last edited by paskatefan; 10-24-2013 at 08:53 AM.
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #1410
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Shutup and Deal,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread after 6 years. I discovered the Corfid website 5-and-a-half years ago.

Under another thread, I listed my favourite Lightfoot songs as "Shadows", "A Lesson In Love", "Restless", "Much To My Surprise" and "End Of All Time". I guess I stick by that list today. The very-original melody and chorus of "Shadows" captured my imagination from the first time I heard it. Gord's singing, the musical arrangement and the band members' performances were never better. I was thrilled to see "Shadows" performed at the one Lightfoot concert I managed to attend (2008 in Wisconsin). I also love Tony Rice's bluegrass cover version.

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 10-25-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #1411
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

I guess I would have to say that it changes as life goes on. I really liked "Early Morning Rain" way back when Ian & Sylvia did it, from then on there have been constant changes in my life, and Gordon has written songs all along that fit in as my favorites as each album came out. I have bought his records since they first came out here in the US. A few songs stand out, as to feeling what I felt at the time, such as "Looking At The Rain". and it stands out for me as superb in all ways. "Spanish Moss" is another, what a picture it puts out. "Summer Side Of Life" ahhh yes. Just too many songs thru all these years, to be just one. The man can see deeply, and can sing it all the right way.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #1412
charlene

after last night in Buffalo and another stellar concert and an amazing and breathtaking IYCRMM and a thunderous prolonged standing ovation IYCRMM has to be number 1.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote