banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-11-2002, 07:30 PM   #1
Wes Steele

The poster named "Potter" brought up a good point at another topic, suggesting that some of GL's songs' could be in the movie called "The Molly Maguires". Excellent movie but also very sad.

I have often thought that "It's Worth Believn' could be in the MGM movie called "Ryan's Daughter" staring Robert Mitchem, probably from the late 60's..

Any comments???????????

Wes
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 11:58 AM   #2
james hill

Re: Gord's music & movies

Does anyone remember "My Love For You" (sic)
from the movie "Harry Tracy..." in which he also appeared as u.s. marshall Morrie Nathan? It's one of those great lost Lightfoot treasures that might never see the light of day.
By the way there's a great picture of Gordon in character as the aforementioned Morrie Nathan in Maynard Collins' book. This pic would make a great wallpaper!

James Hill
james hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 08:27 PM   #3
Brian 57

Funny you should mention Harry Tracy. That song was running through my head today while I was thinking about this topic. Ain't it interesting what pops into your head during a six hour car ride. It's been years since I've seen the movie. If memory serves me correctly, I believe that song was written by someone else, I don't recall the name.

[This message has been edited by Brian 57 (edited July 14, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Brian 57 (edited July 14, 2002).]
Brian 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 08:38 PM   #4
Brian 57

Found It!!! It was written by Les Pouliot check it out at http://www3.pei.sympatico.ca/wfranci...t/mylove4u.htm
Old 07-31-2002, 12:29 AM   #5
Rebecca

When the inevitable happens and the account of the Pennsylvania coal miners' entrapment and eventual rescue is made into a Movie of the Week, the network people would probably love to get their hands on the rights to "Mother of a Miner's Child." It would go along with the love story that they always put right in the middle of those things whether it actually happened that way or not.
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:22 AM   #6
telekidd

That's a lovely thought, Rebecca. It's always been one of my favorite GL songs: I've been playing it a lot more these days, because of what went on in Pennsylvania.
Derek

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rebecca:
[B]When the inevitable happens and the account of the Pennsylvania coal miners' entrapment and eventual rescue is made into a Movie of the Week, the network people would probably love to get their hands on the rights to "Mother of a Miner's Child." It would go along with the love story that they always put right in the middle of those things whether it actually happened that way or not.
telekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:55 AM   #7
Brian 57

I agree completely. My wife's grandfather was a coal miner in Morris Run PA, but he passed away from black lung long before I met her. This daughter of a miner's child sat beside me as we watched the drama unfold. "Mother of a Miner's Child" is more than just a song about some lady-- it's about her grandmother, and the memories of her grandfather.
Old 07-31-2002, 04:09 PM   #8
The Gypsy

Geting back to "my love for you" I hit the big 50 early this year, and my son gave me a Gord double CD full of unreleased songs which also included " Hail Hero " the film version joined and with background noise, but is still sounds great. Its a shame that these songs may never be released.
The Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:23 PM   #9
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Rebecca:
When the inevitable happens and the account of the Pennsylvania coal miners' entrapment and eventual rescue is made into a Movie of the Week, the network people would probably love to get their hands on the rights to "Mother of a Miner's Child." It would go along with the love story that they always put right in the middle of those things whether it actually happened that way or not.

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:25 PM   #10
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Rebecca:

How many people have heard Gord's version of Dark As A Dungeon, from the Two Tones At The Village Corner album? That song kept running through my head as I was following the rescue efforts.

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote