banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
      
round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #101
Lisa J
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: arizona, usa
Posts: 342
Send a message via AIM to Lisa J
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

DSR
my thoughts go out to you today, and to Barry's family. I never met him, but from the memories you have shared, I can tell he was a good man. It is clear you were a good friend to him. Bless you for keeping his memory alive.
lisa
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:05 AM   #102
brink-
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

It is very hard to believe it has been 3 years. The last time I saw him I got a picture with him, just to show Char I was brave enough to talk to him. He was very nice, chatty, scary and in a really good mood. I am glad I took the chance.
Scary does not mean he wasn't nice or that he was a bully....he was a big guy who many times had a no nonsense look on his face, he was really tall...and big....
I hope his family has been able to cope in the past years, his daughter was quite nice when she posted here.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #103
joveski
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,804
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

anyone care to post a picture of him?. i've never seen one
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #104
johnfowles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NJ U.S.A.
Posts: 4,842
Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
anyone care to post a picture of him?. i've never seen one
Good idea Mende I am sure I have one somewhere but meanwhile and thanks to Mr Google here is Barry on the right with Doctor Jack
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #105
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,364
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
It is very hard to believe it has been 3 years. The last time I saw him I got a picture with him, just to show Char I was brave enough to talk to him. He was very nice, chatty, scary and in a really good mood. I am glad I took the chance.
Scary does not mean he wasn't nice or that he was a bully....he was a big guy who many times had a no nonsense look on his face, he was really tall...and big....
I hope his family has been able to cope in the past years, his daughter was quite nice when she posted here.
(so many people seem to tall to you..hmmm...)
lol
Yeah - Barry could have a look about him that would make him seem scary but he really was very friendly and very 'to the point.' He was a nice guy and always looked after Lightfoot fans as best he could. But Lightoot was #1.
I hope his family are doing as well as can be expected.

NJ/PA trip - April 2002..Barry and his harem...lolol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	778004276103_0_ALB.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	4011  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #106
brink-
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
Good idea Mende I am sure I have one somewhere but meanwhile and thanks to Mr Google here is Barry on the right with Doctor Jack
That was a "few" years ago. He looks really young there. The harem picture is how I knew him.

Yes people seem tall to me - because they are!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #107
MistyMoppens
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 72
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlylavender View Post
I miss him too. I haven't met the new guy, but Barry was so friendly and talkative. You could tell right away that he was "in charge".
Actually, there are three new guys. They rotate. I have no idea as to why but that's the way it is.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #108
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,364
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

The two I know, Leslie and Warren have other tours they manage. Don't know of a third.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #109
MistyMoppens
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 72
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Both Gord and Anne told me about it. I didn't ask for names. And at that point Leslie was no longer with the organization.

Last edited by MistyMoppens; 12-06-2010 at 09:53 PM.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #110
johnfowles
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NJ U.S.A.
Posts: 4,842
Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
The two I know, Leslie and Warren have other tours they manage. Don't know of a third.
I think we met the third once maybe twice in 2009.
He was unusually a young African American called Greg and told me he was standing in for Leslie who had a prior engagagement.But whilst no one person will or could ever replace Barry IMHO the three individually have been doing a reasonable job, even if Warren was initially and unfairly compared to a certain German corporal,but at Kingston ON last April I believe the facts were that Gord was anxious to only spend an hour at the backstage Meet and Greet so as there were aound 100 fans Warren fairly organised us all into one line and gently regulated everybody to about one minute each
John Fowles
Poets Day is a term used by workers in the United Kingdom and Australia to refer to Friday being the last day of the work week. It commonly stands for Piss Off Early Tomorrow's Saturday
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #111
MistyMoppens
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 72
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

You're right, John - it was Greg. Met him last spring and the poor man was STRESSED OUT. (as in "losing it".) That's a big job.

I was also told that Leslie was no longer with the organization as of last spring. Does anyone know if he's returned? Things change fast sometimes!

Last edited by MistyMoppens; 12-06-2010 at 11:50 PM.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #112
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,364
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

I think it was in Buffalo in October that Warren mentioned that he wouldn't be in Colorado for the shows. I had told him I was thinking of heading west. I never got out there so don't know who was running things.
What show did you attend MM ? I don't remember a review/report of it.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #113
MistyMoppens
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 72
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Actually, Char, I traveled to several shows.

Not everyone goes public whenever they have backstage passes (in one instance exclusive backstage passes - no one else was invited... which shocked me!) or phone calls from Gordon. I've told a couple of long-time members about these things as they happened but I chose to keep things, for the most part, private. Is it mandatory to publicly state when & where we've been to GL shows and to share every detail of what happened? And NO - I didn't take photos. The man does NOT like having his picture taken but he does what he has to do to make his fans happy. I tend to naturally respect people's wishes. I do that with everyone.

Not that it would ever happen here but I've seen other forums where it was a never-ending display of one-upmanship. Some people call it a "pi**ing contest." I didn't want to appear to be playing that creepy little game. I enjoy everyone here and seriously love to read about everyone's love of this man's music. But some things I want to keep to myself.

I probably should have kept those silly backstage passes and I thought about that as I tossed them into the dust bin but they just weren't the kind of thing that meant a whole lot to me. It's just not a big deal. Although I did keep them for a month or so. I do love his music but I don't worship him the way other people do and besides - "Heros often fail."

I was merely commenting on the situation with the rotating tour managers because it's confusing to the fans. That's all. However, if I were to spill the beans...... OH MY GOD. But I won't. The beans are going with me to my grave.

And, for the record, I won't be making a peep about future shows I'll be attending, either. It's just not my style.

Last edited by MistyMoppens; 12-07-2010 at 10:35 AM.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #114
jj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 5,273
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
Is it mandatory to publicly state when & where we've been to GL shows and to share every detail of what happened?
hope all's well, mm

i also wondered what your top three live tunes he's done this tour were?

i think char just asked about the "show" part (agreed, some share the "other stuff" but not mandatory i'm sure, lol)...i know she keeps plenty private but shares some of the stuff that other members might enjoy and Gord does the telephone interviews of course so that she would hopefully share with the net people

wow, Gord should have continued with the acting career cos he sure looks like he enjoys having his pic taken, lol...what a glowing smile he has in many of those

all the manager group stuff is beyond me to keep up with but interesting stuff...well, i hope Barry's family doing well at this time...my season's greetings to them all (i agree with deb, he had a wild look in the eyes and i was glad to share his space for a bit...like some have said, he was on top of things and had Gord's best interest, #1)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #115
Jenney
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Rocky Hill, CT USA
Posts: 561
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
Actually, Char, I traveled to several shows.

Not everyone goes public whenever they have backstage passes (in one instance exclusive backstage passes - no one else was invited... which shocked me!) or phone calls from Gordon. I've told a couple of long-time members about these things as they happened but I chose to keep things, for the most part, private. Is it mandatory to publicly state when & where we've been to GL shows and to share every detail of what happened? And NO - I didn't take photos. The man does NOT like having his picture taken but he does what he has to do to make his fans happy. I tend to naturally respect people's wishes. I do that with everyone.

Not that it would ever happen here but I've seen other forums where it was a never-ending display of one-upmanship. Some people call it a "pi**ing contest." I didn't want to appear to be playing that creepy little game. I enjoy everyone here and seriously love to read about everyone's love of this man's music. But some things I want to keep to myself.

I probably should have kept those silly backstage passes and I thought about that as I tossed them into the dust bin but they just weren't the kind of thing that meant a whole lot to me. It's just not a big deal. Although I did keep them for a month or so. I do love his music but I don't worship him the way other people do and besides - "Heros often fail."

I was merely commenting on the situation with the rotating tour managers because it's confusing to the fans. That's all. However, if I were to spill the beans...... OH MY GOD. But I won't. The beans are going with me to my grave.

And, for the record, I won't be making a peep about future shows I'll be attending, either. It's just not my style.
Leslie was with them in Colorado. It sometimes depends on who is available for who is on tour with them.
No, it's not mandatory Misty to post all your experiences, I just think Char was being polite in asking.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #116
Dan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Hamburg,NY,USA
Posts: 111
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Speaking of one-upmanship, I took that picture that Char posted of Barry and his harem. It was at the Keswick Theater in Glenside. I remember that I was trying to sell 2MuchToLose's ticket before the show because he couldn't attend. I was not successful selling the ticket so I asked Gordon to sign it for 2MuchToLose right after someone else took my picture with him. Oh-oh I heard Gord doesn't like that so don't make a "peep" about it.

Speaking of being short, notice how Nanci is almost as tall as Barry in that picture? That is only because she is standing on the arm of one of the theater seats.

Great memories which are always really fun to share!

Last edited by Dan; 12-07-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #117
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,364
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

You certainly did take that pic Danno - Barry loved it despite sometimes saying he didn't want his picture taken. I am glad I have that memory in picture format. Very special times with so many terrific people...even our short little Nanci. Remember our singalong as we were lost for hours and hours that night? Oh lordy ...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #118
loveabiggibson
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 77
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Here's a shot of me and Barry sometime around 1995. I gave him the hat. Maybe it was Concord, CA?

Sure miss that guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bob and barry.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	4013  
loveabiggibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #119
brink-
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

I was wondering about that Dan, Nanci was looking might TALL there.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #120
charlene
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 15,364
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

If you had been there Brink you could have stood on the other armrest..
lol

thanks for sharing the 1995 pic of Barry here at the discussion board. it's much appreciated!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #121
jj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 5,273
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
I won't be making a peep about future shows I'll be attending, either. It's just not my style.
hey misty...is a peep like a tweet? lol

well, i'd like to say thank you to all those who do peep or we'd be staring at blank monitors, or relentlessly carrying on with the one-up-woman-ship vibes

wow, Great 1995 pic, thank you...and thanks for the Leslie correction, Jenney...and poor DSR, i'm glad you have taken that new motto forward, perhaps in Barry's honour

keep toasty, folks...it's a cool one out there
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #122
brink-
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

I would love to have different colored type for this, but I don't. My wish is that people behave here like they do in person, I never like an attack on anyone on this forum and have always been the defender of the underdog - in this case Char since she has too much class to respond to this drivel. But ME - I have no class and I don't care, so here is my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMoppens View Post
Actually, Char, I traveled to several shows.

MM - "And NO - I didn't take photos. The man does NOT like having his picture taken but he does what he has to do to make his fans happy. I tend to naturally respect people's wishes. I do that with everyone."

brink- Respect was not shown in post to Char. She has done nothing to you - it was merely a question and you jumped down her throat. I found it to be a very distasteful rant.

mm- "Not everyone goes public whenever they have backstage passes (in one instance exclusive backstage passes - no one else was invited... which shocked me!) or phone calls from Gordon." Not that it would ever happen here but I've seen other forums where it was a never-ending display of one-upmanship. Some people call it a "pi**ing contest." I didn't want to appear to be playing that creepy little game.

brink- You did play that creepy little game -------

MM - "I enjoy everyone here and seriously love to read about everyone's love of this man's music. But some things I want to keep to myself."

brink- Apparently you don't enjoy everyone here. As far as keeping things to yourself, then do it.

MM - I probably should have kept those silly backstage passes and I thought about that as I tossed them into the dust bin but they just weren't the kind of thing that meant a whole lot to me. It's just not a big deal. Although I did keep them for a month or so. I do love his music but I don't worship him the way other people do and besides - "Heros often fail."

brink- I doubt if many of the people here agree with the "silly backstage passes" phrase. Many people would love to have a backstage pass and meet Gordon. You appear to be very ungrateful. They would mean a lot to some people. I disagree with your statement about "worshiping him" I think people here have a healthy respect and a measured amount of awe about him. But, I think the worship part is a bit out of line.

MM- However, if I were to spill the beans...... OH MY GOD. But I won't. The beans are going with me to my grave.

brink- That is a disgusting comment. How high school that is. Poor Gord, not only do HeroEs often fail, but they also have a lapse in judgement from time to time.

MM- And, for the record, I won't be making a peep about future shows I'll be attending, either. It's just not my style.
brink- Too bad, I would like some warning.

Last edited by brink-; 12-08-2010 at 07:35 PM.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #123
MistyMoppens
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 72
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
hey misty...is a peep like a tweet? lol

well, i'd like to say thank you to all those who do peep or we'd be staring at blank monitors, or relentlessly carrying on with the one-up-woman-ship vibes

wow, Great 1995 pic, thank you...and thanks for the Leslie correction, Jenney...and poor DSR, i'm glad you have taken that new motto forward, perhaps in Barry's honour

keep toasty, folks...it's a cool one out there
I, too, appreciate all the sharing that goes on here and I do truly enjoy reading of everyone else's happy and priceless experiences and memories. I just normally don't feel the need to post about my own experiences.

As far as tour managers - I'm sure it'll take some time to find a comfortable groove after humming along like a finely tuned machine thanks to Barry all those years.

You're right, JJ. It's a cool one out there! (and down here in the south)

Last edited by MistyMoppens; 12-09-2010 at 01:48 AM.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #124
MistyMoppens
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 72
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
I would love to have different colored type for this, but I don't. My wish is that people behave here like they do in person, I never like an attack on anyone on this forum and have always been the defender of the underdog - in this case Char since she has too much class to respond to this drivel. But ME - I have no class and I don't care, so here is my response.



brink- Too bad, I would like some warning.
Rant?

Pot - Kettle - Black

Moving on....
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #125
MistyMoppens
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 72
Default Re: Remembering Barry Harvey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
hope all's well, mm

i also wondered what your top three live tunes he's done this tour were?

i think char just asked about the "show" part (agreed, some share the "other stuff" but not mandatory i'm sure, lol)...i know she keeps plenty private but shares some of the stuff that other members might enjoy and Gord does the telephone interviews of course so that she would hopefully share with the net people

wow, Gord should have continued with the acting career cos he sure looks like he enjoys having his pic taken, lol...what a glowing smile he has in many of those

all the manager group stuff is beyond me to keep up with but interesting stuff...well, i hope Barry's family doing well at this time...my season's greetings to them all (i agree with deb, he had a wild look in the eyes and i was glad to share his space for a bit...like some have said, he was on top of things and had Gord's best interest, #1)
Thanks for the input, JJ. This must be a particularly difficult time of the year for Barry's family. He was so young. I'm sure his untimely death shocked everyone.

Last edited by MistyMoppens; 12-09-2010 at 01:51 AM.
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remembering Barry Harvey charlene General Discussion 35 01-14-2011 08:52 PM
Remembering Barry formerlylavender General Discussion 10 12-06-2008 10:40 PM
We will miss you Harvey Korman. Dream Street Rose Small Talk 8 06-17-2008 07:06 PM
Thanks to Barry Keane Gord General Discussion 8 06-23-2004 07:16 PM
Holy Jeepers I met Barry Harvey and didn't know it Gord General Discussion 1 01-23-2003 08:59 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
downleft 1x1.gif (807 Byte) downright