banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Default What will Gord's new songs be about?

Gord said “I have about 14 new songs written and I think the new album will be out in about a year. It’s going to be philosophical, but kind of funny and positive too."

This will be Gord's first album of new material since the songs he wrote just before his near-fatal aneurysm in 2002. And I suspect he will be regarding it as his final album.

Would any Corfid members like to suggest what some of those songs might be about (or what they would like them to be about)?

I suggest there might be songs about his 2002 near-death experience, the 2010 hoax reporting that he had actually died (I can see Gord's sense of humour shining through on this one), a tribute to his inspiring new wife Kim, maybe a song about the corrected findings on the Edmund Fitzgerald sinking and, if we're lucky, a thank-you to the lifelong fans who have bought his albums, attended his concerts and kept the Lightfoot story strong on forums like this.

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 12-07-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
T.G.

Default Re: What will Gord's new sings be about?

Pretty good predictions ... they're all quite possible!
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Re: What will Gord's new sings be about?

Recent song titles mentioned in interviews include "24 hour Blues" "Doesn't Really Matter"
Lightfoot on "Here's the Thing" (start at 36:00-the song with the turtle
): https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/gordon-lightfoot
Old 12-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Default Re: What will Gord's new songs be about?

Yes, the turtle song sounds fascinating and likely to be on the album. And on that "Here's the Thing" interview, Gord says his songwriting always starts with the chord progression and then the melody before adding lyrics. It amazes me that, unlike many of his contemporaries whose half-century of albums contain instrumental tracks without vocals, Gord has never released an instrumental track. The coming album is an excellent (and probably final) opportunity for him to record a type of track he hasn't done before. I'm sure his writing and the band's musicianship would justify its inclusion (and the absence of vocals).

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 12-07-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

As for song topics, while those are all good suspects to expect, Myself, I'm not sure if I want them to be about them. I think Gord does best when he ranges further.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #6
BendRick

I would like to see Gordon make some songs about Canada's early history..the pioneer days, creating Fort Quebec and later the City..the settlers in the St. Lawrence River corridor, Between Quebec and Montreal. The battles that Quebec has seen; I understand that it was conquered twice by the British. Then the British gave it back to the French?? I know Gord briefly touched this in the album "Summer Side of Life" with a Canadian song. Noux Vivons Ensemble? Plains of Abraham? What happened there?
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
Rob1956

I'm wondering just how much money he wants to spend on recording the album. Will he return to the studio in Hamilton, or even record in his own house. These days you can have an entire recording studio on an iPad. Will he go through Linus and release a CD or release on a website, digitally?
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1956 View Post
I'm wondering just how much money he wants to spend on recording the album. Will he return to the studio in Hamilton, or even record in his own house. These days you can have an entire recording studio on an iPad. Will he go through Linus and release a CD or release on a website, digitally?
Good questions. I don't have any ins on that, but I would suspect he'll go with Grant Avenue and engineer Bob Doidge again. Gordon seems to go with the tried and true, just look at his band. As for distribution, that remains to be seen.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote