banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2004, 03:43 PM   #1
charlene

Toronto, Ontario (August 16, 2004) - Almost two years since he was felled by a near-fatal abdominal hemorrhage, Canadian icon Gordon Lightfoot continues his extraordinary comeback with a rare television appearance on CTV's Canadian Idol this week.

Airing live this Wednesday, August 18 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CTV, "The Music of Gordon Lightfoot" is a special tribute episode in which the Canadian Idol Top Six perform the songs of the celebrated Canadian singer/songwriter.

The master musician – who only recently returned to the stage after his illness landed him ina coma in the fall of 2002 – is directly involved in the episode, leading the remaining six Canadian Idol competitors in individual workshops as they rehearse selections from his songbook.

In an interview with CTV's etalk Daily set to air Wednesday, Lightfoot said he agreed to become involved with Canadian Idol because he was allowed to have a very hands-on role. "I'm a perfectionist," he said. "I got involved because I think I can direct the flow of the interpretations [of my music]."

The competitors have chosen some of Lightfoot's most memorable songs, including "Sundown," "Early Morning Rain," "Song for a Winter's Night," "The Way I Feel," "Rainy Day People" and "If You Could Read My Mind." The competitors will perform two group numbers – Canadian Railroad Trilogy and Steal Rail Blues - on an expanded one-hour results show airing Thursday, August 19 from 8 – 9 p.m. ET/PT on CTV.

In the etalk Daily interview, Lightfoot went on to say that Canadian Idol is a great opportunity for singers hoping to get into the music business. "There is potential in this program for some of these people to walk out the other side with recording contracts," said Lightfoot. "And you know, that means a lot. It gives the show some importance. [Canadian Idol] is important for Canada."

For the first time, Canadian Idol cameras will go live on Wednesday from outside of the John Bassett Theatre to capture the fan-demonium on the street. Each week, hundreds of enthusiastic fans line up for up to 10 hours for the chance to receive last-minute rush seats to what the Toronto Star calls "the most popular stage show in Toronto."

Since emerging from the Toronto folk club scene in the early 1960s, Gordon Lightfoot has recorded 20 albums, including "Harmony," released in May of this year. He has five Grammy nominations and has won 17 Juno Awards. He is a companion of the Order of Canada; the recipient of a Governor General's Award; a charter member of the Canadian Walk of Fame and was recently inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Lightfoot has composed a catalogue of classic hits for himself and many others, including "Cotton Jenny," "Don Quixote,", "Shadows," "Carefree Highway," "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," "Beautiful," "Alberta Bound" and "Ribbon of Darkness." Among the many artists who have recorded Lightfoot's songs are Bob Dylan, Glen Campbell, Anne Murray, Nana Mouskouri, Harry Belafonte, Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand and Peter, Paul and Mary.

Canadian Idol's remaining six finalists are: Jason Greeley, 27, Upper Island Cove, NL; Jacob Hoggard, 20, Abbotsford, BC; Elena Juatco, 19, Vancouver, BC; Kalan Porter, 18, Medicine Hat, AB; Theresa Sokyrka, 23, Saskatoon, SK and Shane Wiebe, 21, Abbotsford, BC.

Canadian Idol is Canada's most-watched television program, averaging more than 2 million viewers (2.06M, Wednesday nights) per episode (Source: BBM).
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:43 PM   #2
charlene

Toronto, Ontario (August 16, 2004) - Almost two years since he was felled by a near-fatal abdominal hemorrhage, Canadian icon Gordon Lightfoot continues his extraordinary comeback with a rare television appearance on CTV's Canadian Idol this week.

Airing live this Wednesday, August 18 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on CTV, "The Music of Gordon Lightfoot" is a special tribute episode in which the Canadian Idol Top Six perform the songs of the celebrated Canadian singer/songwriter.

The master musician – who only recently returned to the stage after his illness landed him ina coma in the fall of 2002 – is directly involved in the episode, leading the remaining six Canadian Idol competitors in individual workshops as they rehearse selections from his songbook.

In an interview with CTV's etalk Daily set to air Wednesday, Lightfoot said he agreed to become involved with Canadian Idol because he was allowed to have a very hands-on role. "I'm a perfectionist," he said. "I got involved because I think I can direct the flow of the interpretations [of my music]."

The competitors have chosen some of Lightfoot's most memorable songs, including "Sundown," "Early Morning Rain," "Song for a Winter's Night," "The Way I Feel," "Rainy Day People" and "If You Could Read My Mind." The competitors will perform two group numbers – Canadian Railroad Trilogy and Steal Rail Blues - on an expanded one-hour results show airing Thursday, August 19 from 8 – 9 p.m. ET/PT on CTV.

In the etalk Daily interview, Lightfoot went on to say that Canadian Idol is a great opportunity for singers hoping to get into the music business. "There is potential in this program for some of these people to walk out the other side with recording contracts," said Lightfoot. "And you know, that means a lot. It gives the show some importance. [Canadian Idol] is important for Canada."

For the first time, Canadian Idol cameras will go live on Wednesday from outside of the John Bassett Theatre to capture the fan-demonium on the street. Each week, hundreds of enthusiastic fans line up for up to 10 hours for the chance to receive last-minute rush seats to what the Toronto Star calls "the most popular stage show in Toronto."

Since emerging from the Toronto folk club scene in the early 1960s, Gordon Lightfoot has recorded 20 albums, including "Harmony," released in May of this year. He has five Grammy nominations and has won 17 Juno Awards. He is a companion of the Order of Canada; the recipient of a Governor General's Award; a charter member of the Canadian Walk of Fame and was recently inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Lightfoot has composed a catalogue of classic hits for himself and many others, including "Cotton Jenny," "Don Quixote,", "Shadows," "Carefree Highway," "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," "Beautiful," "Alberta Bound" and "Ribbon of Darkness." Among the many artists who have recorded Lightfoot's songs are Bob Dylan, Glen Campbell, Anne Murray, Nana Mouskouri, Harry Belafonte, Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand and Peter, Paul and Mary.

Canadian Idol's remaining six finalists are: Jason Greeley, 27, Upper Island Cove, NL; Jacob Hoggard, 20, Abbotsford, BC; Elena Juatco, 19, Vancouver, BC; Kalan Porter, 18, Medicine Hat, AB; Theresa Sokyrka, 23, Saskatoon, SK and Shane Wiebe, 21, Abbotsford, BC.

Canadian Idol is Canada's most-watched television program, averaging more than 2 million viewers (2.06M, Wednesday nights) per episode (Source: BBM).
Old 08-16-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
Auburn Annie

The home website is http://www.ctv.ca/idol/gen/Home.html

Check out the pictures - the link is on the right hand side. And would somebody please call the Fab Five, or at least Carson Kressley, to do *something* about the clothes??
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

The home website is http://www.ctv.ca/idol/gen/Home.html

Check out the pictures - the link is on the right hand side. And would somebody please call the Fab Five, or at least Carson Kressley, to do *something* about the clothes??
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
charlene

how cute are pics 11 and 12?
he looks like he had a great time!
Old 08-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #6
Alberta

You're taping this, right Char?

(silly question, I know!)
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #7
charlene

Old 08-16-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
Kenyon

You're taping this, right Char?

(silly question, I know!)
Kenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 05:14 PM   #9
charlene

pics 11 and 12 are great - he's having a good time!
Old 08-16-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
charlene

pics 11 and 12 are great - he's having a good time!
Old 08-16-2004, 05:24 PM   #11
Gord

I'll be at my PC recording the audio portion at anyrate... these people are lucky... I'd do anything to sit in on the drums with him performing!
Old 08-16-2004, 05:24 PM   #12
Gord

I'll be at my PC recording the audio portion at anyrate... these people are lucky... I'd do anything to sit in on the drums with him performing!
Old 08-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #13
charlene

yes i am my son.
mum
Old 08-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #14
charlene

yes i am my son.
mum
Old 08-16-2004, 06:17 PM   #15
LSH

my frog voiced son says he would be "shaking like some drug feening crack head" if he got work that close with Gord. LOL He also says he hopes those kids know they're in the presence of greatness and how lucky they are.
did I raise this kid right, or what???
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:23 PM   #16
LSH

ARGH! Why do I have such trouble accessing photos?? I keep getting bounced right back to the same page.. annoyance...
I need my GL fix...right now!!
Old 08-16-2004, 07:22 PM   #17
LSH

Ah, finally got it. the link is to the interview page, not the main page. I'm such a web idiot sometimes. You're right Char, pics 11 and 12 are extremely sweet. Gotta love that smile, and the expression in his eyes when he does...
Old 08-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #18
Borderstone

Good pictures! ..and well,looks like I got 4 out of 6 song guesses correct!
Sure wish I lived in Ontario about now!..or even my home state of PA,sometimes we would get Canadian TV broadcasts. Very,very Lucky kids,indeed. <--supposed to be jealousy.

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:42 AM   #19
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by charlene:

Yes, he does. I like No. 4. He looks great.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:19 AM   #20
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Oh dear how the mighty have fallen!!
Charlene dear. this is a cop out!! I know that you are fully capable of displaying pix here!! and these are already on a web site and not on your scanner. Two pix of Gordon with Theresa
Pic 11

Pic 12

Really all you had to do was get each picture's URL (from a simple right click and properties) and then stick [img] in front and [/img] after the URL. just make quite sure you have used the correct square brackets and put the forward slash in the correct place (I just got them wrong so am now editing my posting
what's so flippin' difficult about that???

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited August 17, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:19 AM   #21
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Oh dear how the mighty have fallen!!
Charlene dear. this is a cop out!! I know that you are fully capable of displaying pix here!! and these are already on a web site and not on your scanner. Two pix of Gordon with Theresa
Pic 11

Pic 12

Really all you had to do was get each picture's URL (from a simple right click and properties) and then stick [img] in front and [/img] after the URL. just make quite sure you have used the correct square brackets and put the forward slash in the correct place (I just got them wrong so am now editing my posting
what's so flippin' difficult about that???

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited August 17, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #22
Station Master

Send a message via ICQ to Station Master

nice pics of our Canadian Icon and my Canadian Idol heck, he's having fun
i guess i'm a bit born again on this show, last year's Ryan Malcolm was an admirable guy who was from my folks hometown so i followed him and it would make for good weekly chitchat with them, then came that World Idol showdown aired last Christmas which was brutal tv, imo... then this year i had no interest but did watch one audition episode when they were out west recruiting... i managed to catch Theresa's fun, jazzy audition and it turns out i've have been kinda following her down to the top 6 since, i don't expect her to win but i think she represents Canada in a way that should be idolized... if interested, there's a few mp3s here filed under 'media', i'd recommend the audition and Hello (she's having throat problems), etc ...adorably vulnerable gal, Gord-ish , i like 'em all
http://americanjrs.org/theresa/main.html
Station Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #23
jj

nice pics of our Canadian Icon and my Canadian Idol heck, he's having fun
i guess i'm a bit born again on this show, last year's Ryan Malcolm was an admirable guy who was from my folks hometown so i followed him and it would make for good weekly chitchat with them, then came that World Idol showdown aired last Christmas which was brutal tv, imo... then this year i had no interest but did watch one audition episode when they were out west recruiting... i managed to catch Theresa's fun, jazzy audition and it turns out i've have been kinda following her down to the top 6 since, i don't expect her to win but i think she represents Canada in a way that should be idolized... if interested, there's a few mp3s here filed under 'media', i'd recommend the audition and Hello (she's having throat problems), etc ...adorably vulnerable gal, Gord-ish , i like 'em all
http://americanjrs.org/theresa/main.html
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #24
Steve DeRosa

Really nice pictures! He looks so fit and happy!
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #25
Oma

Really nice pictures! He looks so fit and happy!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote