banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
patybear

Metallica's recording of "Whiskey in the Jar" reminded me of seeing Gordon Lightfoot a number of times at the "Downstairs Club" on McNab St. in Hamilton around 1962-64. At that time he was part of a duet and one of the songs they did was "Whiskey in the Jar".
I wonder if anyone can tell me:
1. The name of Gordon's partner.
2. What he subsequently did.
3. Whether Gordon ever recorded "Whiskey in the Jar"?
Thanks. Glenn
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Glenn

Metallica's recording of "Whiskey in the Jar" reminded me of seeing Gordon Lightfoot a number of times at the "Downstairs Club" on McNab St. in Hamilton around 1962-64. At that time he was part of a duet and one of the songs they did was "Whiskey in the Jar".
I wonder if anyone can tell me:
1. The name of Gordon's partner.
2. What he subsequently did.
3. Whether Gordon ever recorded "Whiskey in the Jar"?
Thanks. Glenn
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
Wesley

The Group was The Two Tones and his Partner was Terry Clemments who continued to be a parts of Gordons band.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
Affair on Touhy Ave.

The Group was The Two Tones and his Partner was Terry Clemments who continued to be a parts of Gordons band.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
<unregistered>

Lightfoot's partner in the Two Tones was
Terry Wheeler, his buddy from high school.
Many years ago I heard that he was living in the Orillia area. I had the pleasure of chatting with Bob Branch at the naming ceremony of the Gordon Lightfoot hall of the Orillia Opera House. Bob and Terry sang with Gord during his babershop days. Bob expressed surprise that Terry did not attend the event.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

It was recorded (title: Kilgarry Mountain) on "The Two Tones at the Village Corner". See Wayne Francis' write up at http://www.lightfoot.ca/tonesrev.htm for more.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
Auburn Annie

It was recorded (title: Kilgarry Mountain) on "The Two Tones at the Village Corner". See Wayne Francis' write up at http://www.lightfoot.ca/tonesrev.htm for more.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
<unregistered>

Lightfoot's partner in the Two Tones was
Terry Wheeler, his buddy from high school.
Many years ago I heard that he was living in the Orillia area. I had the pleasure of chatting with Bob Branch at the naming ceremony of the Gordon Lightfoot hall of the Orillia Opera House. Bob and Terry sang with Gord during his babershop days. Bob expressed surprise that Terry did not attend the event.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
brink-

There was a posting, I think last year, that Terry Whelan had died and we didn't know if it was the same person for sure.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #10
Wesley

Wheeler. Huum I must of confused him with someone else.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
brink-

Actually it was Whelan.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #13
patybear

Thanks very much to everyone who responded; I am impressed with how quickly you responded and by the knowledge displayed. It was at the "Downstairs Club" in Hamilton that Gordon Lightfoot announced that he was going solo and that the performance that evening would be the last one as a duet. You could tell his partner was extremely upset and I remember him shedding some tears. Maybe Terry is still upset. Thanks again for your replies. Glenn
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #14
Glenn

Thanks very much to everyone who responded; I am impressed with how quickly you responded and by the knowledge displayed. It was at the "Downstairs Club" in Hamilton that Gordon Lightfoot announced that he was going solo and that the performance that evening would be the last one as a duet. You could tell his partner was extremely upset and I remember him shedding some tears. Maybe Terry is still upset. Thanks again for your replies. Glenn
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:17 AM   #15
Auburn Annie

I can say with some certainty that he's not still upset as he's no longer with us. He died in 2004 (time flies) and here's the previously posted obit from the Orillia Packet & Times:

Deaths
WHELAN, Thomas Phillip (Terry) - At the Toronto
General Hospital on Saturday, July 31st, 2004.
Terry Whelan, of Washago, beloved husband & best friend of Susan St. Onge. Father of Shea (Lara) Whelan and step-father of Jennifer (Marty) Pepper & Katelyn (Brandon) Mitchell. Grand-father of Liam, Ryan, Cameron & Jackson. Brother of Lynn (Howard) Hamilton. Predeceased by parents Thomas & Phyllis. Terry will be lovingly remembered by his nieces, nephews & special friends Gary & Barb Lovelace, Roy & Andrea Smith, Bob Haley, Bill & Sue Hawkins & Gwen Kavanagh.

Terry had a special love of music which started early in his life with barbershop singing while in high school. This led him to local theatre art groups and he was later a harmony singer with the Tom deMoraes Orchestra & the Glenn Miller Band. In lieu of flowers, memorial donation made to any local youth musical organization would be gratefully appreciated. As per Terry's request, following cremation there will be a Private Family Memorial Service held at a later date. Messages of condolence are welcome at www.mundellfuneralhome.com
It was the barbershop quartet singing where he and Gord first performed together, I believe.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:17 AM   #16
Auburn Annie

I can say with some certainty that he's not still upset as he's no longer with us. He died in 2004 (time flies) and here's the previously posted obit from the Orillia Packet & Times:

Deaths
WHELAN, Thomas Phillip (Terry) - At the Toronto
General Hospital on Saturday, July 31st, 2004.
Terry Whelan, of Washago, beloved husband & best friend of Susan St. Onge. Father of Shea (Lara) Whelan and step-father of Jennifer (Marty) Pepper & Katelyn (Brandon) Mitchell. Grand-father of Liam, Ryan, Cameron & Jackson. Brother of Lynn (Howard) Hamilton. Predeceased by parents Thomas & Phyllis. Terry will be lovingly remembered by his nieces, nephews & special friends Gary & Barb Lovelace, Roy & Andrea Smith, Bob Haley, Bill & Sue Hawkins & Gwen Kavanagh.

Terry had a special love of music which started early in his life with barbershop singing while in high school. This led him to local theatre art groups and he was later a harmony singer with the Tom deMoraes Orchestra & the Glenn Miller Band. In lieu of flowers, memorial donation made to any local youth musical organization would be gratefully appreciated. As per Terry's request, following cremation there will be a Private Family Memorial Service held at a later date. Messages of condolence are welcome at www.mundellfuneralhome.com
It was the barbershop quartet singing where he and Gord first performed together, I believe.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #17
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by Affair on Touhy Ave.:
Whelan. It was Terry Whelan.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #18
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
Metallica's recording of "Whiskey in the Jar" Thanks. Glenn
Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
There was a posting, I think last year, that Terry Whelan had died and we didn't know if it was the same person for sure.
Yes all well and good
googling for Terry Whelan produces almost 800,000 results including
"Breda Bolger and Terry Whelan both from Graiguenamanagh who got married on the 17th. August"
in Co. Kilkenny,Ireland (just how should one pronounce that town name!??)
On a great page of pictures at:-
http://www.jerpoint.com/bbolger.html
including an Irish registered stretch limo

To further confuse matters meanwhile Wayne Francis says aboat Kilgerry Mountain in his two Tones album review:-
"Lightfoot introduces this as a song by "Terry O'Whelan from the Emerald Isle". Whelan takes the lead on the verses
and Lightfoot harmonizes on the choruses. I always thought this song was called Whiskey In The Jar"
and there is A folk singing Terry Whelan alive and well apearing in spain from :-
http://www.oneworldbeat.org/owb2005/...p?artistId=721
"Terry Whelan has a residency at Paddy McGinty's in Callao Salvaje where he keeps the crowd happily entertained with
his mix of Irish traditional and pop songs as well as covers by a very wide range of acts. Terry accompanies himself on the accordion as he sings with plenty of feeling in his voice. Add a dash of whisky and humorous between song banter!"

I also loOked at the Gord bio on the BBC site in the h2g2 "Hitch Hikers Giude to the Galaxy section at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1148159
this was written by
Kyle Schmidt of Orillia a.k.a
"The Cromulent Chipster" (corfid member 651 and a one time chatter on Fridays)
who got this statement wrong
"In 1962 he recorded a live album as a duo with Terry Whelan. Their single, 'Remember Me (I'm The One)' reached the
top 10 in the Canadian charts"
I need for another reason to contact Kyle so I will leave a pM for him
in trying to find a corfid posting by Kyle I found a great old topic on Orillia which I will reply to
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002292.html
The main topic he contributed to is an earlier Friday chat session one at:-
http://www.corfid.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...c;f=1;t=001708
anyway back to the Kilgarry Mountain subject
I mostly recall the UK version by Thin Lizzy
who have a "wiki entry at:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_Lizzy
This was an Irish Heavy Metal band, formed in Dublin in 1969. The band was
led by bassist, songwriter and singer Phil Lynott.
Their first taste of success was the 1973 hit single, "Whiskey in the Jar", a version of a traditional Irish song
(Metallica scored a major hit with their 1998 cover version, featured on their album, Garage Inc.).
and on :-
http://www.kitchenmusician.net/smoke/whiskey.html
I read
"It has been called the most overdone folk song in Ireland"
John Fowles
I do so love researching and googling

And when the gale comes up I'll fill my cup With the whiskey (sic) of the highlands
(As shown on lightfot.ca and other sites)
hummph Wayne and others I tink that should have been be whisky as in the actual published sheet music
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #19
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
Metallica's recording of "Whiskey in the Jar" Thanks. Glenn
Quote:
Originally posted by brink-:
Yes all well and good
googling for Terry Whelan produces almost 800,000 results including
"Breda Bolger and Terry Whelan both from Graiguenamanagh who got married on the 17th. August"
in Co. Kilkenny,Ireland (just how should one pronounce that town name!??)
On a great page of pictures at:-
http://www.jerpoint.com/bbolger.html
including an Irish registered stretch limo

To further confuse matters meanwhile Wayne Francis says aboat Kilgerry Mountain in his two Tones album review:-
"Lightfoot introduces this as a song by "Terry O'Whelan from the Emerald Isle". Whelan takes the lead on the verses
and Lightfoot harmonizes on the choruses. I always thought this song was called Whiskey In The Jar"
and there is A folk singing Terry Whelan alive and well apearing in spain from :-
http://www.oneworldbeat.org/owb2005/...p?artistId=721
"Terry Whelan has a residency at Paddy McGinty's in Callao Salvaje where he keeps the crowd happily entertained with
his mix of Irish traditional and pop songs as well as covers by a very wide range of acts. Terry accompanies himself on the accordion as he sings with plenty of feeling in his voice. Add a dash of whisky and humorous between song banter!"

I also loOked at the Gord bio on the BBC site in the h2g2 "Hitch Hikers Giude to the Galaxy section at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1148159
this was written by
Kyle Schmidt of Orillia a.k.a
"The Cromulent Chipster" (corfid member 651 and a one time chatter on Fridays)
who got this statement wrong
"In 1962 he recorded a live album as a duo with Terry Whelan. Their single, 'Remember Me (I'm The One)' reached the
top 10 in the Canadian charts"
I need for another reason to contact Kyle so I will leave a pM for him
in trying to find a corfid posting by Kyle I found a great old topic on Orillia which I will reply to
http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002292.html
The main topic he contributed to is an earlier Friday chat session one at:-
http://www.corfid.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...c;f=1;t=001708
anyway back to the Kilgarry Mountain subject
I mostly recall the UK version by Thin Lizzy
who have a "wiki entry at:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_Lizzy
This was an Irish Heavy Metal band, formed in Dublin in 1969. The band was
led by bassist, songwriter and singer Phil Lynott.
Their first taste of success was the 1973 hit single, "Whiskey in the Jar", a version of a traditional Irish song
(Metallica scored a major hit with their 1998 cover version, featured on their album, Garage Inc.).
and on :-
http://www.kitchenmusician.net/smoke/whiskey.html
I read
"It has been called the most overdone folk song in Ireland"
John Fowles
I do so love researching and googling

And when the gale comes up I'll fill my cup With the whiskey (sic) of the highlands
(As shown on lightfot.ca and other sites)
hummph Wayne and others I tink that should have been be whisky as in the actual published sheet music
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #20
Auburn Annie

Graiguenamanagh (pronounced Graig-na-Manna, or "greg-uh-na-man-ah") means "the Village or Valley of the monks". The monks in question, Cistercian, arrived here in 1204 and built the longest Cistercian Church in Ireland - 212ft. An 18th century, seven-arched bridge, built by George Semple crosses the River Barrow with the splendid Brandon Hill as an imposing backdrop. White water rushes over a weir and the towpath is merry with wild flowers.

This is a popular boating centre and a base for the pleasure barges on the river Barrow. The river is navigable south to St. Mullins where it joins the tidal waters linking with the Nore River and Inistioge, and leading to New Ross and the open sea. Northwards it links with the Grand Canal at Lowtown. Graiguenamanagh is also a popular angling centre.

Well, you asked.........
Old 03-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #21
Auburn Annie

Graiguenamanagh (pronounced Graig-na-Manna, or "greg-uh-na-man-ah") means "the Village or Valley of the monks". The monks in question, Cistercian, arrived here in 1204 and built the longest Cistercian Church in Ireland - 212ft. An 18th century, seven-arched bridge, built by George Semple crosses the River Barrow with the splendid Brandon Hill as an imposing backdrop. White water rushes over a weir and the towpath is merry with wild flowers.

This is a popular boating centre and a base for the pleasure barges on the river Barrow. The river is navigable south to St. Mullins where it joins the tidal waters linking with the Nore River and Inistioge, and leading to New Ross and the open sea. Northwards it links with the Grand Canal at Lowtown. Graiguenamanagh is also a popular angling centre.

Well, you asked.........
Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #22
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

that's very interesting, Annie. Did they invent "cisterns?" hmmm, just wondering.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote