banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
Mr. Moon

Default Concert in Kettering Ohio

Hello all,

It's been many, many months since I've posted here. For that, I am sorry! I just had to mention that my wife and I are so excited to be able to see Gord and the boys tomorrow, 6/17/10 in Kettering Ohio (near Dayton). It's an outdoor venue, and thank God the weather is going to be great! We have second row seats in the center section!!! How cool is that! I called the minute the tickets went on sale (thanks to Valerie). We saw Gordon two years ago in Cincinnati, but we had seats on the floor, in the back row, so this will be quite a treat tomorrow!! The last time I saw him before that was in the late 70's. Back when Pee Wee Charles was playing lap steel.

I tell you all about it on Friday!!

TTYL (talk to ya later)
George
Old 06-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Wes Steele

Default Re: Concert in Kettering Ohio

Thats Great News George....

2nd row seats? WOW... You will be able to count GL's chin hairs. LOL.

Enjoy the show and report in afterwards. Looking forward to your comments.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
gwen snyder

George,
That is great!
wow, 2nd row...
We were up on the wall at the Grand Rapids concert, but it was amazing how different the concert looked from up there.
For the Kettering concert we have 6th row seats.
I am pretty excited.

But, I'm not looking forward to the drive down. Time.
It sounds like a great venue from everything I have read.
Hope you have a great time.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Mr. Moon

Oh I will Wes. Yeah, I'm more interested in how his fingers are moving on his guitar, as I play some of his songs.

Being that close, I'll be able to see the beads of sweat on his forehead...it's at and outdoor concert pavilion, and it's going to be in the high 80's during the day tomorrow! Although somewhat cooler by 8:00 pm.

TTYL,
George
Old 06-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
podunklander

Have fun George !
Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Mr. Moon

Thanks All. That's quite a drive from Grand Rapids Gwen! Although I only live about 45 minutes away from the Fraze, I've never been there either, but like you, I've heard it's a nice place for a concert. Maybe we'l run into each other. Just look for the guy who will be going crazy in the 2nd row (and you'll hear my wife will telling me "calm down"!) Lol! I'll probably also be the guy yelling, play "A Song For a Winter's Night" and "Canadian Railroad Trilogy"!!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:51 AM   #7
WhiskeyoftheHighlands

Hi...first time post here....

I had front row last nite at Fraze in Kettering. My wife took this classic pic of Gordon. Just thought I'd share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GordonLightfoot 005.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	3410   Click image for larger version

Name:	GordonLightfoot 006.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	3411  

Last edited by WhiskeyoftheHighlands; 06-18-2010 at 04:55 AM.
WhiskeyoftheHighlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
jj

welcome, thanks for sharing the terrific pic!
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
charlene

thanks for dropping by and sharing your pics!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Mr. Moon

Hi all,

Quote:
I had front row last nite at Fraze in Kettering. My wife took this classic pic of Gordon.
Hey "Whiskey", my wife and I were in the second row about 4 seats from the left end of that front section. I took some pics as well, from about the same perspective as you. Geees, I was probably sitting just a few seat to your left in the row behind you!! I have some pics as well that I'll post, but don't have them here with me now. I'll post them this weekend. BTW, "WhiskeyoftheHighlands", that's a line in one of my fav Gord songs...cool!

It was a great show to say the least!! It was our first time at this outdoor venue (Fraze Pavilion). It is a very nice venue. It was very hot (about 85° at 7:00 when we got there, and didn't cool down until close to 9:00. But that didn't matter...it was Gord who was playing, and that's all that really mattered. Terry, Rick, Barry and Mike all came out with sunglasses on, as they were facing the sun. Looked pretty cool! Especially Rick with his pony tail and sunglasses! Wouldn't want to mess with him! Lol! Gord of course played all his signature songs. Unfortunately, for the second concert in a row that we saw, he didn't play "Song For a Winter's Night". Also he didn't play "That's What You Get For Lovin' Me", which is my wife's favorite...hmmm, I wonder what she's thinking! Lol! He did play "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" which he said a fan requested via email. That's pretty cool. Think I'll try that approach next time. Gord said "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" is quite a workout, as I agree! Gord said two or three times how much they loved the work of performing. And it sure showed. Sitting as close as we were, you could see in each of their faces the love they had in what they were doing, and I could really see how his band members loved the man that they were backing! Gord came back out and did "Blackberry Wine" and "Old Dan's Records" for the oncore. Then he came out for one final bow, and the evening with Gordon Lightfoot came to an end. The audience was very appreciative and show the love they had for the man, Gordon Lightfoot!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #11
patybear

Nice pics,Whiskey!
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
Jesse Joe

Thanks for sharing your Lightfoot concert experiences Whiskey & Mr. Moon. Also very interesting choice of handle names you've chosen, I like them.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
Mr. Moon

Hi all,

Wish me luck. Tried to post a couple of my pic yesterday, but no luck. Here I go...

Gordon during the first half of the concert. Probably playing "Cotton Jenny", as that was his opening song at the Fraze Pavilion.

A pic of the band later in the evening. Darn, couldn't see Terry Clements for most of the night since Gord was blocking my view...Oh well, Gord is who we came to see anyway!

Hey, it worked. Got the pics posted Lol! Duh!! What a great night it was, as I'm sure many here have experienced!! Thanks Gord!!

George
Old 06-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
Jesse Joe

Great pics Mr. Moon thanks for sharing them.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
charlene

great pics - thanks for posting them!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
gwen snyder

This was a very interesting venue. I had never been to an outside Gord concert and it was just wonderful. I had a very nice time at the concert. The evening cooperated completely! The weather was perfect, some people complained about the heat, but, not me, it will be winter far too soon. But, alas, it ended!!!! Gord seemed tired and just weary but the performance was INCREDIBLE! What a group!!!! They are the ultimate team, Gord and the band/orchestra.
I was glad to see him enjoying himself as he performed.
Sorry that I did not get to stop down to try and find you and the missus Mr. Moon. But from where I sat I could easily see that white haired individuals head.
Good concert!
Whiskey of the Highlands do you have a vanity plate WhiskeyRiverR ?
I saw that vanity plate as I was leaving, interesting plate.
And the road is sometimes long, but my objective (seeing Gord), made the drive seem less a chore. Driving back was great! Just one Gord song after another.
GREAT concert. I just feel like every concert I am able to attend is priceless. This one was no exception.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
Mr. Moon

Thanks all for the nice words about my pics. I was taking so many my wife finally told me to put my camera away...ok dear! Lol! Gees, you know. I've never had such a great seat at any concert except maybe for a John Denver concert years ago! So I wanted some pics to remember it by.

Yeah that too bad that you couldn't find me and my wife. There were a lot of people so it may have been difficult.

Gotta go.

TTYL,
George