banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-12-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
Phillo

quote:Originally posted by:classicmixdj

I don't think anyone would refer to a cat in this fashion within the body of a song...especially Gord...he's a dog man...

I’d always imagined GL was a cat person. Is he really a slobbery, drooly dog man?
He’s mentioned cats a few times in his songs. At the moment I can’t think of any reference to a dog. (Unless you count Poor Little Allison.)

It's Worth Believin' - When I've called in the cat, She'll go walkin'.

The Soul Is The Rock - Bats in the roof, cats in the hall.

The Pony Man - And the cats are in the shed.

Any more ideas? – Pro or con.
Phillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:46 AM   #2
Gaby

quote:Originally posted by:classicmixdj

I don't think anyone would refer to a cat in this fashion within the body of a song...especially Gord...he's a dog man...

I’d always imagined GL was a cat person. Is he really a slobbery, drooly dog man?
He’s mentioned cats a few times in his songs. At the moment I can’t think of any reference to a dog. (Unless you count Poor Little Allison.)

It's Worth Believin' - When I've called in the cat, She'll go walkin'.

The Soul Is The Rock - Bats in the roof, cats in the hall.

The Pony Man - And the cats are in the shed.

Any more ideas? – Pro or con.
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
Auburn Annie

He probably grew up with both. An excerpt from the November 10 1996 Toronto Sun article, "Gordon Lightfoot: The Way I Feel...." by Jean Sonmor includes this mention:

"Gord Lightfoot will be 58 next Sunday, Nov. 17, but he has more energy and exuberance than anybody in this kitchen and that includes Ivory, his four-month-old Hungarian sheep dog."

I think that's the only specific reference I remember to animals he may have owned but it's not something that would come up in interviews anyway.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

He probably grew up with both. An excerpt from the November 10 1996 Toronto Sun article, "Gordon Lightfoot: The Way I Feel...." by Jean Sonmor includes this mention:

"Gord Lightfoot will be 58 next Sunday, Nov. 17, but he has more energy and exuberance than anybody in this kitchen and that includes Ivory, his four-month-old Hungarian sheep dog."

I think that's the only specific reference I remember to animals he may have owned but it's not something that would come up in interviews anyway.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:13 PM   #5
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

quote:Originally posted by Auburn Annie:

Well Annie, I can add an anecdote here. It did come up in my interview with Gord, but it was so off-topic that I couldn't figure out any way to include it. Here is the excerpt (the interview was March 8, 2002):

G: I've got a little lab here. She makes a heck of a ruckus every time anyone comes around. She's a lovely little girl; we call her Mischief.

V: What kind of Lab is she?

G: A yellow one.

V: They are nice dogs.

G: We all adore her. And the feeling is mutual.

I just couldn't figure out how to include that in an interview about his future music plans!

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL fan site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:22 PM   #6
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Lightfoot wrote a song about a dog from his childhood (at least that's what one assumes from the lyrics). That song, An Old Friend, was one of those on the Warner Brothers Demos but was never released on any record. It's a sweet song and it would make any dog owner who has lost a beloved pet cry. The lyrics are below but they don't tell the whole story. The way he sings this tears your heart out.

An Old Friend, c1967? by Gordon Lightfoot

Be still you good old friend, be still you faithful one
You dare not leave my sight

Be still you good old friend, be still and dream your dreams
Of days of youth and love

Be still you good old friend, remember that Christmas tree
Where our two hearts became as one

Recall the fields of hay, where you would romp and run
A small boy at your side

The years have quickly flown, a child I am no more
But I will love you always

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL fan site at gordonlightfoot.com and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
Gaby

Thanks, Annie, Val.
What lovely snippets you get here!

I often walk Cassie, the lab who lives next door. She’s so funny - she wags her tail so hard, you think she’s going to come off her feet.

I’ve just remembered. There’s also the egg-sucking dog in Divorce, Country Style.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by vlmagee:
Well Annie, I can add an anecdote here. It did come up in my interview with Gord, but it was so off-topic that I couldn't figure out any way to include it. Here is the excerpt (the interview was March 8, 2002):

G: I've got a little lab here. She makes a heck of a ruckus every time anyone comes around. She's a lovely little girl; we call her Mischief.

I just couldn't figure out how to include that in an interview about his future music plans!

LOL - Mischief - great name! Our pup, now 3 months old (and 22+ pounds) is formally known as Samson, but informally either Sir Poop-a-Lot (for obvious reasons) or Hoover, because he sucks up anything that isn't nailed down.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:31 PM   #9
Auburn Annie

LOL - Mischief - great name! Our pup, now 3 months old (and 22+ pounds) is formally known as Samson, but informally either Sir Poop-a-Lot (for obvious reasons) or Hoover, because he sucks up anything that isn't nailed down.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:23 AM   #10
Pete W

I always get a kick out of hearing my fave artists talk about their dogs! I did get misty-eyed when I read those lyrics to "An Old Friend." Another reason to love GL -- as if I needed one!
Pete W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:23 AM   #11
Amy

I always get a kick out of hearing my fave artists talk about their dogs! I did get misty-eyed when I read those lyrics to "An Old Friend." Another reason to love GL -- as if I needed one!
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #12
Tyler

GABY!!!!!!
A slobbery, drooly dog man!?!?! Dogs are the best, they have personality, anybody who has a heart loves dogs. Sure maybe Gord has a cat wandering around but I certainly can't imagine him chasing a cat down so he can pet it. I can see him sitting in his favorite chair with his hand dangling over the side petting the head of a well loved dog. He probably gets inspiration from just having them around. And drooling? Depends on the breed, I have never had a drooling dog. I did though have a cat named Mike that loved to spray the walls, and Shasta the female cat that would back all the way from the other side of the room to my dates foot. Made for a spirited evening. Never had dogs do those things. Did have a dog that didn't like a boyfriend, and wouldn't let him in the house, the dog was right.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #13
brink

GABY!!!!!!
A slobbery, drooly dog man!?!?! Dogs are the best, they have personality, anybody who has a heart loves dogs. Sure maybe Gord has a cat wandering around but I certainly can't imagine him chasing a cat down so he can pet it. I can see him sitting in his favorite chair with his hand dangling over the side petting the head of a well loved dog. He probably gets inspiration from just having them around. And drooling? Depends on the breed, I have never had a drooling dog. I did though have a cat named Mike that loved to spray the walls, and Shasta the female cat that would back all the way from the other side of the room to my dates foot. Made for a spirited evening. Never had dogs do those things. Did have a dog that didn't like a boyfriend, and wouldn't let him in the house, the dog was right.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:34 PM   #14
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Lightfoot wrote a song about a dog from his childhood (at least that's what one assumes from the lyrics). That song, An Old Friend, was one of those on the Warner Brothers Demos but was never released on any record. It's a sweet song and it would make any dog owner who has lost a beloved pet cry. The lyrics are below but they don't tell the whole story. The way he sings this tears your heart out.

An Old Friend, c1967? by Gordon Lightfoot

Be still you good old friend, be still and dream your dreams
Of days of youth and love

Be still you good old friend, remember that Christmas tree
Where our two hearts became as one

Recall the fields of hay, where you would romp and run
A small boy at your side

The years have quickly flown, a child I am no more
But I will love you always

Dedicated to Snoop. 1992-2002

Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:17 PM   #15
Gaby

Oh, well. (sigh) I shall just have to assume there were a few kittens scampering around the farmhouse and barn where GL wrote Sundown.

You know – Weapons of Mouse Destruction!
Old 02-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #16
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Gaby:
Oh, well. (sigh) I shall just have to assume there were a few kittens scampering around the farmhouse and barn where GL wrote Sundown.
Truly amazing .Having just been reading this thread I did my usual daily check to see what new Gord items were up for auction at:- http://www.ebaylightfoot.shorturl.com
And was therefore flabbergasted to finfd that today there is a rare Japanese picture sleeve issue of the Sundown single
and lo and behold guess who is sharing the picture with Gord!!

A Super pun Gaby!!!
The British comedian Frankie Howerd used to say in mock astonishment:
"I’m flabbergasted-never has my flabber been so gasted!"
That's it Gaby a brilliant definition of dogs
"slobbery, drooly dog?"
But you omitted their pointless barking
(several canines near here are driving me barking mad!!)
I'm with you give me a cat any day
I guess that will put the cats among the pidgeons so to speak!??
and I know Gaby that you are in a rainy country where it rains cats and dogs
Just look at all the poodles!!
Anyway although Gaby started this topic in the main GL forum and so far it is relevant to
Gord I would like to show a pair of sweet cat pics which might start a series of pet pics
so I will start a new topic on the small talk forum forhwith:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000285.html

Mildly edited for typos and content and to add link to small talk topic
------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited February 15, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #17
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Gaby:
Truly amazing .Having just been reading this thread I did my usual daily check to see what new Gord items were up for auction at:- http://www.ebaylightfoot.shorturl.com
And was therefore flabbergasted to finfd that today there is a rare Japanese picture sleeve issue of the Sundown single
and lo and behold guess who is sharing the picture with Gord!!

A Super pun Gaby!!!
The British comedian Frankie Howerd used to say in mock astonishment:
"I’m flabbergasted-never has my flabber been so gasted!"
That's it Gaby a brilliant definition of dogs
"slobbery, drooly dog?"
But you omitted their pointless barking
(several canines near here are driving me barking mad!!)
I'm with you give me a cat any day
I guess that will put the cats among the pidgeons so to speak!??
and I know Gaby that you are in a rainy country where it rains cats and dogs
Just look at all the poodles!!
Anyway although Gaby started this topic in the main GL forum and so far it is relevant to
Gord I would like to show a pair of sweet cat pics which might start a series of pet pics
so I will start a new topic on the small talk forum forhwith:- http://www.corfid.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000285.html

Mildly edited for typos and content and to add link to small talk topic
------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited February 15, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:00 PM   #18
Suzi

Don't forget that Gord wrote a whole song in which cats are mentioned twice in the title alone: PUSSYwillows, CAT-tails
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:45 PM   #19
Gaby

John,
I always love the way you doggedly purr-sue topics on cor-fido.
It always gives me paws fur thought and leaves me-ow feline grrrrreat.

BTW - I can definately see drool all over that photo - but, that could have been me!

[This message has been edited by Gaby (edited February 15, 2004).]