banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-14-2002, 08:39 AM   #1
bmg

I'm not going to apolize for my opinion. I've been listening to him since 1967. My sister had a boyfriend who lived in toronto and he brought his album down across the border. so i'm not a gordie come lately. I liked no hotel, but I still think it needs some fine tuning with a couple of the words. Lightfoot has always been great at making phases seems so natural. I thought some of the words were forced or too simple. like bellhops who don't hop....
if you remember the soundstage show he did in 1973, i think - he did a new song, talked about the high seas, when the song was on the album later - he had changed the words. just because he is doing the song in concert doesn't mean it can't get changed. i think that from what i've read - that yes - he is a perfectionist and probably wouldn't do a song - he wasn't happy with. but lets also give him the benefit of being able to grow and evolve too.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:39 AM   #2
bmg

I'm not going to apolize for my opinion. I've been listening to him since 1967. My sister had a boyfriend who lived in toronto and he brought his album down across the border. so i'm not a gordie come lately. I liked no hotel, but I still think it needs some fine tuning with a couple of the words. Lightfoot has always been great at making phases seems so natural. I thought some of the words were forced or too simple. like bellhops who don't hop....
if you remember the soundstage show he did in 1973, i think - he did a new song, talked about the high seas, when the song was on the album later - he had changed the words. just because he is doing the song in concert doesn't mean it can't get changed. i think that from what i've read - that yes - he is a perfectionist and probably wouldn't do a song - he wasn't happy with. but lets also give him the benefit of being able to grow and evolve too.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #3
Anna Lightfoot

No need for apology, we are only passing opinions. If gord makes ajustments then "hey great" the song will sound even better.

------------------
" Stay Loose "
Anna Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #4
The Gypsy

No need for apology, we are only passing opinions. If gord makes ajustments then "hey great" the song will sound even better.

------------------
" Stay Loose "
The Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 05:39 AM   #5
craiga

I remember that Soundstage tv show. He introduced what we now know as "On the High
Seas" from DSR as "On The TV".
craiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 05:39 AM   #6
IllinoisRob

I remember that Soundstage tv show. He introduced what we now know as "On the High
Seas" from DSR as "On The TV".
IllinoisRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 06:24 AM   #7
bmg

thanks, for not making me feel like a outcast cause i stated my opinion. i loved no hotel, my girlfriend thought it could be a hit. i was just making my big mouth opinion known. i think that gordon, being the tunesmith that he is, may as he reworks the songs prior to recording it, may make some changes and yes it will be a really great song then. i can't wait for a new album, but i've said that since 1968
Old 05-16-2002, 06:24 AM   #8
bmg

thanks, for not making me feel like a outcast cause i stated my opinion. i loved no hotel, my girlfriend thought it could be a hit. i was just making my big mouth opinion known. i think that gordon, being the tunesmith that he is, may as he reworks the songs prior to recording it, may make some changes and yes it will be a really great song then. i can't wait for a new album, but i've said that since 1968
Old 05-17-2002, 06:48 AM   #9
bmg

speaking of no hotels - i once lived at roch dale in toronto in the late 60's probably when gord was playing in yorkville, also stayed at the "famous" ford hotel on spadina - near keningston market area, it was next to the victory theatre. The bathrooms didn't have a shower, they had a shower head and a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor.
Ah - memories ....
I loved the song trust me which was on the box set. That is one of my favorites.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:48 AM   #10
bmg

speaking of no hotels - i once lived at roch dale in toronto in the late 60's probably when gord was playing in yorkville, also stayed at the "famous" ford hotel on spadina - near keningston market area, it was next to the victory theatre. The bathrooms didn't have a shower, they had a shower head and a drain in the middle of the bathroom floor.
Ah - memories ....
I loved the song trust me which was on the box set. That is one of my favorites.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:12 AM   #11
char

Ah - the lovely Rochdale! Drugs central! I remember some friends and myself hanging around outside. I was about 16 probably - maybe 17. (71/72)One wanted to score some stuff and we were led behind the building and forced into a car and driven around town for about an hour. We had our skates with us because we were supposed to be going skating at City Hall. The guys in the car wouldn't let us out anywhere and it was getting scary because it was obvious they were high on stuff and older than us. Finally they stopped in front of the rink, took the money and shoved us out the car doors. My friends had no money and no drugs but I had money. I wasn't buying anything and they assumed I had no money I guess. I had just enough to get us all back home on the subway. I never took/smoked any drugs of any kind in my life and never went near Rochdale again!
lol
Char
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:01 AM   #12
joveski

go char! a wild girl in diguise!!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:05 AM   #13
char

I was unaware that we were making a side trip to Rochdale! In all my youthful innocence I was planning on a lovely time skating and drinking hot chocolate! Oh how innocent and naive!!!
LOL
Char
the meek
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:45 AM   #14
bmg

I'm glad to see that my post brought back memories. I was not selling drugs. I had moved up there for the summer from Buffalo to take classes at u of t. a friend of mine from a youth group was living there, so i had a place to stay. Lots of illegal bars, great on sunday, when it was still Toronto the good. and yes lots of draft dodgers, and smoke. But you could go to circus,circus, i think it was on queen st. or the village or just hang on younge street at nite. wonderful place - Toronto.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:45 AM   #15
bmg

I'm glad to see that my post brought back memories. I was not selling drugs. I had moved up there for the summer from Buffalo to take classes at u of t. a friend of mine from a youth group was living there, so i had a place to stay. Lots of illegal bars, great on sunday, when it was still Toronto the good. and yes lots of draft dodgers, and smoke. But you could go to circus,circus, i think it was on queen st. or the village or just hang on younge street at nite. wonderful place - Toronto.