banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

i have just posted the following in a topic started today by our CHer Moderator, and I think the contents now warrant repeating here:-

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
Hey Bill (talbot10) - hope you have a wonderful birthday!!

Charzo
I am very pleased to be able to add the best wishes of Susan and myself and to comment that Young Bill is one of the few remaining stalwarts who get around to coming into my chat room most Friday evenings at 9PM EST together with often the mouse SharRon and g-man Peter Alecia (PA from most fittingly PA)
details are fully shown at this easy to remember URL-
http://www.glchat.notlong.com
which is merely a forwarding "notlong" address that will open a page on my own website:-
Tip just type glchat.notlong in your browser's address bar and if you are using either Internet Exploder or Firefox then press CTRL and enter together and bingo automatically that will change to
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFOOT/chat/
I have to warn you that Peter reported last week that he got taken to a dubious site and had a mysterious pop-up warning warning about downloading files
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot/Peter's_warning.jpg
I can assure you that the file in question is a perfectly sanitary small Java applet that is actually stored on my own website and I guarantee virus etc free.
neither of these phenomena have ever happenned to me but may be something to do with his operating system .
He was I think using the simple "Java applet" method of getting into the chatroom
click this button on my page for that method

one that I cannot use as my windows XP SP2 equipped machine is unable to load Java applets
and I use MIRC
If you get that program as described on my site (details at the green button)

you can on my site press a most attractive red button

Whatever My point is that a few more chatters especially you newer members would be most welcome plus the return of many one time regulars
Most likely then those who come will be able to share Bill's birthday jollifications and wish him "happy birthday" live
Here I must point out that the chat room is typing only
If you are a slow typist I assure you this is great practice!!!
John Fowles Bt
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
johnfowles

Default Re: The Friday Chat in the GL Chat Room

what the man said
I have been taken to task by a mouse for being a stranger of late in my chat room, rather our chat room
The reasons are manifold mostly due to the visit recently of my best friend from the UK when we were away two Fridays in a row,
In addition Susan and I are now keen participants in the local Square Dancing scene and our local club's dance is every other Friday.
Those are our excuses together with the lamentable fact that Susan's department is very understaffed and busy,so that the only thing she really wants to do at the end of the week is sleep!!
However I do intend attending myself this evening and have just emailed peterbro10 to try to get him to come in. It would be nice to see a few others especially the newbies so how's about it DSR,Kerstin etc
It is now 6PM EST so it starts in just three hours at 9PM EST/ 6PM on the west coast and something like 11 AM tomorrow morning down under
(catman)Ron, Sydney Steve where are you???
See ya!!
John
full description at:-
http://www.glchat.notlong.com
To keep it simple I will spoil you so just click this nice BLUE button

Last edited by johnfowles; 10-19-2007 at 06:39 PM. Reason: corrected URL one slash omitted originally
Old 10-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
podunklander

hey! kewl! I'll try to visit the chatroom after 20/20!

Pam
Old 10-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
Dream Street Rose

I just left John's Friday night chat after 3 hours. If you have time ( you don't have to stay as long as I did) you should try it out. It is fun and different from posting. I felt very welcomed and wanted. It was just nice to say whatever I wanted and no one was negative at all. I can't join next Friday night but if a few could go in my place you will have fun. Have a wonderful weekend.

DSR
Old 10-20-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
Rainbow Trout

Enjoyed talking to all in the chatroom tonight. Lots of fun and in the words of the terminator, "I'll be back".
Rainbow Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
podunklander

Thank you, John for the invitation to the chatroom! It was really nice to chat with all who stopped in! And while chatting, I was treated to some great music to listen to!

Pam
Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #7
johnfowles

OK Last week's chat was a success. As well as the regulars who have kept it going.Many thanks Bill, SharRon, Brian and Peter we were able to welcome foure newbies, The Rose,the lady from Poduk_land. The Tennessee Trout and the Zoneranger all of whom were soon busily typing away and trying to keep up.
tonight is our fortnightly square dancing club err umm dance so I will not be in but if others who have yet to make their debut would like to give it try please do.
How about BillW and/or Kerstin for starters??
I also know that Peter bro10 was unable to get in which might be because his PC does not have a Java Virtual Machine, necesary to open the chat room Java applet
I am attempting so far unsuccessfully to insert a message that will appear instead of the applet's grey box and the chat room if either your operating system, browser or browser settings cannot or will not allow a Java applet to load. it will say more or less
"if you can read his then your operating system and/or browser cannot support running a java applet, gettingmIRCis by far the best and easiest solution"
Anyway as it is likely that I will be missing more chats and am busy on other projects,I am looking for a volunteer amongst the "regulars" to keep reissuing reminders like this every week.
i had meant to email sharRon and Bill to see if one of those stalwarts would oblige but have run out of time so how about it???
Chat tonight at 9 PM EST
FULL DETAILS

Last edited by johnfowles; 10-26-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Kerstin

Hi John,
thanks for the invite. Usually have band practice every friday night, but I will stop in for sure the next friday I have off. Hope to see you then.
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #9
podunklander

Ohhhhhhh...for over a week now, I had been looking forward to a haunted lantern cemetery tour tonight that has now been cancelled, due to rain in the forecast It's not raining, but I guess it's supposed to start before too long.

And since there's no baseball game tonight...I'll try to stop in the chatroom and hope to catch some of you there!

Pam
Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #10
Rainbow Trout

After my first visit to the friday night chat room, I can't seem to get in again. What am I doing wrong? Someone help!!
Rainbow Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:29 AM   #11
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Trout View Post
After my first visit to the friday night chat room, I can't seem to get in again. What am I doing wrong? Someone help!!
I also had problems last week. It appeared as though I had entered the chatroom and in a 'small' way, I had. Ended up downloading the mIRC in order to join the chat.

Pam
Old 11-03-2007, 02:55 AM   #12
Dream Street Rose

I had a very "small" chat as well. I thought I had downloaded the MIRC the second time I tried but I must have made one more mistake. I missed talking to you all and hope to do better next time.

DSR
Old 11-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Borderstone

For me,it still is the same. The library closes at 6pm on Friday and so does the apt. comlex office (where they have free internet.) So,after that time,I have no computer access at all. Hoping to finally change that after the holidays.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
brink-

John and I have gone rounds about mIRC. He loves it, I hate it. It is disagreeable and seems to have a life of it's own, it is very fickle....sometimes you can go in, sometimes you can't.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #15
catrinka

From Yuri, I learned about the Friday Chat...and heard about the problems some people are having with mIRC.

There is an alternative for those who do not like or are having trouble with mIRC: Pidgin (formerly known as GAIM) It is a multi-platform instant messaging program, freely available under the GNU General Public License.

Background info at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin_(software)
Comparison of IRC programs at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...saging_clients
Pidgin home page at:
http://pidgin.im/

(also available as a "portable" program, for USB keys/thumb drives)

I have no affiliation with the program...but have used it in the past and found it met my needs - to chat with family/friends subscribed to different IM networks (AOL, Yahoo!, etc.) It supports IRC, so should work for the Friday Chat. (Setup information can be found on the website FAQ.)

Another alternative for Windows users is Trillian. Unfortunately, it is not available to anyone using Linux, a MAC or other operating system.

Trillian home page:
http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

MAC users might want to look into Adium. Basically it's Pidgin for the MAC OS X platform.

Adium home page:
http://www.adiumx.com/

For those using Firefox, there is an extension, Chatzilla, which is supposed to work, but neither Yuri nor I have been able to get it to work properly.

As a "newbie" to the forum, but not to the original Lightfoot Internet Group, I hope I'm not offending anyone. I wanted to offer my "expertise" in the hope that it will help someone. I know how much Yuri looks forward to the Friday Chat. By offering alternatives and solving the connection problems, hopefully, more people will join in!

catrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #16
Peter Bro10

I guess my big question is this: Do I have to wait till Friday evening to try this out? Can I establish my connection, so to speak, and then be good to go on Friday evening?

I've never used any chat room before, and only a little IM stuff with AOL ages ago. I will make a concerted effort to be there this Friday.... I promise!!!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #17
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Thank you Cathy A! I have been running Pidgin for several months now because I had business contacts who didn't have any of the chat programs I had been running regularly. I had accounts in half a dozen places, but regularly ran only AIM, and Yahoo only rarely. I installed Pidgin so I could communicate with people on Gmail and MSN (and ICQ which I hadn't had installed in years, but where I still have a userid).

Anyhow, having read your message last night, I took a quick look and didn't see how to set it up for the chatroom (I hadn't even noticed it supported IRC). Now, fresh from a good night's sleep (well, some sleep anyway), I gave it a try and after some fumbling found the "Join a chat" selection, which I had never seen before. Works like a charm! Peter, if you want to test it, I'll be in there.

PS: For those who run AIM, this is far better. AIM is instrusive (I'm sure you have noticed), and has ads. Pidgin is clean and quiet. I am not a fan of 3rd party software and install almost none of it (John can tell you I refused to install mIRC - because of its security issues). I installed Pidgin only after my son and husband did - both of whom are as reluctant as I to install stuff, and only continue to use it if it is well behaved and doesn't expose one to security issues. I strongly urge all of you to install it and dispense with AIM, mIRC and the rest.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #18
catrinka

Thank YOU, Valerie! I'm happy to learn that someone else has used Pidgin and finds it as useful and non-intrusive as I have. Security is a big issue for me, too, so I'm not one to recommend just any program. I do a lot of research before installing anything and download only from sites I trust.

Peter, if you would like to email me, I'll do what I can to help you get setup. We can test it using AIM/YahooIM, if you have accounts with either of them, then work on the chat connection.

As for Pidgin, it has been around awhile and has gone through a lot of growing pains, but is now a lot more user-friendly. With its clean interface and numerous plugins to customize how it works, Pidgin is worth the price (free!)

catrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:30 PM   #19
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderstone View Post
For me,it still is the same. The library closes at 6pm on Friday and so does the apt. comlex office (where they have free internet.) So,after that time,I have no computer access at all. Hoping to finally change that after the holidays.

Perhaps we could also plan a chat on a night in addition to Friday night! Maybe Wednesday eve? If you, Kerstin and others who simply can't on a Friday night...I'm sure there would be plenty of us who could also stop in to chat at other times.

So if you, Kerstin and others can pick a day/time and post back here -I'm sure we'd find a good day/time for all of you who can't join in the Friday chat.

Pam
Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #20
johnfowles

As the current champion of the existing chat room arrangements
I was delighted to read catrinka's thoughtful reply
I take it that since Val knew you were a Cathy and from some comments you made that you are indeed Yuri's erstwhile better half.If so welcome to corfid Cathy
To be brutally honest I do not ever recall seeing Yuri in the chat room well cetainly not for a long time so if we get over this perhaps you or he can chat one Friday
Firstly two main comments
1 I am delighted that this subject has created such an interesting correspondence
2 I am constantly amazed by the never ending revelations of new things on the Internet especially free software such as Pidgin
I have a strong vested interset in making a common chat room available to all and sundry
I will for the benefit of the newer members now review the history of the vatrious chat rooms as I know it
In the beginning a number of Lightheads used a system/program called I believe Prodigy then because most of them in that early internet era had very litle choice of economical Internet Service Providers, they found that they were nearly all using AOL and I suspect had the early incarnation of AOL Messenger which allowed them to set up a chat room.Later on after a few problems with the next arangement I recall Val trying to resurrect that sytem but I think it required an unsatisfactory invitation, by chatters already connected, method which by that time having sampled the much more accessible IRC (Internet Relay Chat) see below it was largely ignored
Then thanks to Wayne Francis' newsgroup alt.music.lightfoot
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...n&lr=&safe=off
Oregonian Rik Stevens announced in 1998 that he had added a chat room facility to his own website
Rik furthermore discovered that having set up a channel on an IRC server (cjb.net), he could and did arrange for acces both via a Java "applet" (a small application) and the IRC client program mIRC (where the "m" simply stands for the Khaled Marden-Bay the UK geezer who wrote and issued the program.
All went well with this setup from 1999 until a few years ago when some internet hooligans, no not Sydney Steve this time, (just where did he go???) carried out a denial of service attack on cjb who said sod it as it had become too much aggro running IRC for free, and withdrew this service.
Rik then tried to replace it with a chatroom set up by Bravenet but it was not as encompassing or reliable as the orginal
The highlights for me at least of that original arrangement were my initial involvement with the fans going to attend the Massry concerts in November 1999 (golly gracious 8 years alrweady!!)
and that harrowing day in September 2002 when I counted almost 1000 chatters who dropped in or the latest news of Gord in Hamilton. I well recall Char discovering the internet address of the Hamilton Radio station so we could then all hear live the various annoncements including "I'm just the guitar player" Rick's heart felt little speal that is the subjct of one of the great
CBC archived videos.
I then searched around and literally stumbled upon, a site called I kid you not the "worlds worst website"
at:-
http://www.worlds-worst-website.com
which is no longer in existance but an achived copy of the chat room page is at:-
http://www.worst.notlong.com
where I could in 2004 read:-
"
This application requires Java suport.
This server also available via IRC
"
and was delighted to find that at the time they had a similar applet/mIRC set up to that which Rik had adopted
but were using a different IRC sercver http://ww.dilexnet.net
and featured a superb link that would aurtomatically open mIRC at at their chat channel:-
irc://irc.dilexnet.net:6667/wwwchat
I set about setting up a new Gordonlightfootchat channel in this server
so all I had to do was substitute"our" channel and we were away to the races again
see my 2004 announcement on
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=15092
over the years since we had one dilexnet problem when they neglected to reregister their website
Other solutions that were used or investigated included
Yahoo chats
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gordon...yguid=50126724
which provered highly unreliable and were abandoned but not before the "guitar chat" Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gordon...ootguitarchat/
had led to the successful ad hoc creation of the worlds first band formed on the internet in 2002
the demise of thoseYahoo groups was a shame as for a while we were able to have real live voice chats
using basic microphones to pick up the varied accents of catmanron and myself
also tried were Paltalk,quadchat, and chatzy
But overall the combined use of the Java Applet and mIRC has worked well although problems have occasionally arisen.
It took me four determined attempts to tame mIRC last week and I know of brink and Val's objections
plus more and more will experience my problem with the Java applet as they upgrade their systems
catrinka's original message:-
You can check to see if you have java enabled
go to:-
http://www.javatester.org/enabled.html

sceenshot showing that am SOL
I will try to get a variation of my "applet entry" page at:-
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFO...PLET_ENTRY.HTM
to put up a message if your system cannot run the the applet
I was very excited by Cathy and Val's comments about Pidgin

it is a largish program (11.6MB.. 3+ hours n a dial up connection) negating one of my aims which was to enable access as simply as possible:-
especially avoiding the requirement to download any large files.
previously the room had worked for those whose systems were able to load a small Java Applet
from two files a cab and a jar totalling 58KB only and stored on my website
or who installed the mIRC program which has except for very latest version always fitted on a 1.4MB floppy disk
If like me with my current Windows XP SR2 setup you do not have a Java capacity, due to the legal agreement between Microsoft and Sun Microsystems, it would necessitate a download of the Sun Java "runtime environment",
yes somebody got paid for thinking that program name up!!
and that is an even larger file (13.92mb)
Meanwhile the download of pidgeon is progresing at a snail's pace after almost 2 hours I have 33%
and a predicted 2 hours odd to complete.So I'll have to test it later else I'll never get this reply and reminder posted
However if the site's blurb is accurate it certainly looks like the ultimate solution
Pidgin is a multi-protocol Instant Messaging client that allows you to use all of your IM accounts at once.
Pidgin can work with:-
AIM,Bonjour,Gadu-Gadu,Google Talk,Groupwise,ICQ,IRC,MSN,MySpaceIM,QQ,SILC,SIMPL E,Sametime,XMPP,Yahoo!,Zephyr,
which if true would be simply brilliant .I currently need to run both MSN Messenger, which I like because it coordinates so well with my hotmail email and address book and AOL Instant Messenger, because so many good friends are AOL members, even if some only have the stupid basic version that does not facilitate file transfer for example.
Just at the moment AOL is getting right up my nose with a persistent (every 30 seconds sometimes) and annoying
(and seemingly unavoidable) security pop-up

that I steadfastly ignore because no doubt after installing I will have to reboot thus losing contact with important downloads
One thing to stress is that the gordonlightfootchat IRC channel is always available so you can test it out at any time
by simply going to http://www.glchat.notlong.com
So if anybody wishes to organise a second session .Please go ahead.
Back in the heady days of 1999 we actually held three sessions a week Tuesdays and Fridays at 9PM EST
(2 AM for me then in the UK) and a short lived Sunday morning/afternoon session called Britchat for us Brits.
OK we will not be able to attend tonight but no doubt Sharron and Bill will be there at 9PM EST his evening so do drop in
The direct applet entry link is:-
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFO...PLET_ENTRY.HTM

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Old 11-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #21
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

I'll try to stop in tonight using Pidgin. I figured out what to specify where to make it work, so if anyone has a problem just ask (it wasn't totally obvious, trust me). Even with a long download for dialup users, it is well worth it to have just one chat program. And, as both Cathy and I said, it is very well behaved and doesn't have ads. Actually, I am in the room now if anyone want to try it.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #22
Sundreme

Just bumping up this thread as a reminder...GL chat tonight, starting about nine eastern time. Click this link: http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFOOT/chat/ and then click on one of the icon's on John's page to take you to the chat. As I mentioned to John, eventually, I'd like to get a voice chat going using the Pal Talk chat application...if anyone is interested, let me know.
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #23
DellroyGM

Arg! Had absolutely no trouble connecting with the java applet.
However, the chat window shows up as a tiny little window.
The tiny little window does work as advertised, it is just a bit smallish to be really useful. Any ideas?

DellroyGM
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #24
Sundreme

Sorry Dellroy, it looks like this problem is system wide. I even got it when I tried to click on the java applet. I think John will have to eventually fix it as Im sure it hasn't been updated in ages.

I would recommend for now downloading Mirc. After you download it and set it up, return to this link http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/LIGHTFOOT/chat/ , click on the Mirc link: and it should take you to the chatroom.
And eventually I do plan to try and set up that voice chat in Pal talk...just been really busy and unbelievably tired lately. I almost forgot about the chat tonight as a matter of fact. Anyway, 9 pm eastern as always.
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #25
DellroyGM

Thanks, Sundreme. I will load up MIrc again (had it before, but when I replaed my hard drive, it was something I never got around to re-installing!)
Hopefully, I will get on one of these Fridays!

-Gary
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote