banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
tiabuena

So, after the first two Massey Hall concerts, what are the exactly setlists of these two shows?
The Wayne Francis site is still not updated yet.....
I like to have all the setlists of the tour save on my pc!

max
Florence, Italy
tiabuena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
max

So, after the first two Massey Hall concerts, what are the exactly setlists of these two shows?
The Wayne Francis site is still not updated yet.....
I like to have all the setlists of the tour save on my pc!

max
Florence, Italy
max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Erika

it's quiet in here...everybody in Toronto?

i've been hoping for the Massey Hall setlists, too. we leave tomorrow morning!
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Travis

it's quiet in here...everybody in Toronto?

i've been hoping for the Massey Hall setlists, too. we leave tomorrow morning!
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #5
Auburn Annie

I'm not there yet but will be tomorrow; meanwhile all our usual posters who ARE in Toronto must still be floating around under the influence of Lightfoot euphoria - because nobody's posting. Maybe no one has a laptop with them?
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Auburn Annie

I'm not there yet but will be tomorrow; meanwhile all our usual posters who ARE in Toronto must still be floating around under the influence of Lightfoot euphoria - because nobody's posting. Maybe no one has a laptop with them?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #7
Sheryl

Send a message via AIM to Sheryl

Let me check on the NG... and I'll be right back....
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
Sheryl

Nope -- no setlists yet on the NG either. Everyone there is having a helluva time, though! Some posters are calling others at home on their cell phones to listen to a song here and there live -- lucky S.O.B.'s!!! (Yes, I'm just jealous!) From all the reviews, Gord is doing great, having a great time, and, for your information ladies, he specified in one article that he's only separated, not divorced.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
Erika

i am so looking forward to tomorrow night. it'll be the worst seats i've ever had for a Lightfoot concert, but that's ok...i haven't seen him in 7 years, and was afraid for a while i'd never get the chance again. this is going to rock.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:57 PM   #10
Travis

i am so looking forward to tomorrow night. it'll be the worst seats i've ever had for a Lightfoot concert, but that's ok...i haven't seen him in 7 years, and was afraid for a while i'd never get the chance again. this is going to rock.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
Auburn Annie

Travis - where are your seats? We're on the Left Floor, Row H.

BTW since you're from NY, The Town Hall venue in late October still has orchestra seats as of yesterday (starting with row Q, though I found a single somewhere around K.) The going rate there is $55; might be $45 in the nosebleed section. The neat thing about The Town Hall venue is you can not only find your seat on their chart but get a picture of what your view of the stage looks like from your seat. Go to http://www.the-townhall-nyc.org/page...ing-chart.html and click on "See Your View" then select orchestra, loge or balcony, pick a seat and click on "Your View" on the left. Neat. If you're trying out different seats, remember to clear out the previous selection first. Gives me a chuckle thinking about the poor soul taking the photos from each and every seat.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:29 PM   #12
Auburn Annie

Travis - where are your seats? We're on the Left Floor, Row H.

BTW since you're from NY, The Town Hall venue in late October still has orchestra seats as of yesterday (starting with row Q, though I found a single somewhere around K.) The going rate there is $55; might be $45 in the nosebleed section. The neat thing about The Town Hall venue is you can not only find your seat on their chart but get a picture of what your view of the stage looks like from your seat. Go to http://www.the-townhall-nyc.org/page...ing-chart.html and click on "See Your View" then select orchestra, loge or balcony, pick a seat and click on "Your View" on the left. Neat. If you're trying out different seats, remember to clear out the previous selection first. Gives me a chuckle thinking about the poor soul taking the photos from each and every seat.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #13
Erika

Annie - thanks for that! I'll check it out. I was thinking about surprising my wife with a trip to NYC for that show.

We're somewhere in the balcony; i forget now exactly where.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #14
Travis

Annie - thanks for that! I'll check it out. I was thinking about surprising my wife with a trip to NYC for that show.

We're somewhere in the balcony; i forget now exactly where.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #15
musky_man

Well - I can tell you some of the songs .. been to two of the concerts and they were slightly different:

- Harmony
- Trilogy
- Spanish Moss
- Early Mornin' Rain
- If You Could Read my Mind
- Couchiching
- The Wreck
- Bitter Green
- Song for a Winter's Night
- A Painter Passing Through
- Sea of Tranquility
- Ghosts of Cape Horn
- Old Dan's Records
- Don Quixote
- Beautiful
- Sundown
- Rainy Day people
- Never too Close
- Shadows
- Cotton Jenny
- Baby Step Back
- Others .... just can not remember them all.

Hope that helps.

Great to see him back and it good form.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #16
Sheryl

Thanks, Musky-Man!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #17
Auburn Annie

My family and I met with a whole bunch of corfidders (?) at the City Grill for dinner pre-concert (thank you Sarah and Eric, our waiters.) A good meal was enjoyed by all. My husband, daughter and I left immediately thereafter to do some last minute shopping - I had to pry my daughter out of Sephora with a crowbar - then dashed back to the Cambridge Suites hotel to freshen up for the concert. We arrived at Massey about 7:15, with the scalpers in full bloom out front looking to buy spare tickets.

There were already quite a few early birds seated, catching up with old friends and sharing Lightfoot concert experiences. I chatted with John (Fowles) for a bit, until the seat's occupant next to mine showed up. Gord took a quick peek at the house around 7:30; I was sitting Left floor row H and could see the backstage curtains part enough for him to partly step out for a quick once-over.

Massey itself was wonderful if steamy until *somebody* at MH found the on switch for air conditioning and a blessed rush of cool air swirled over us after the intermission. Before that I thought I was having the mother of all hot flashes. It was also family night for Lightfoot and Company; Gord had cousins from both sides of the family and a platoon of friends and relations from Orillia in the house, in addition to wives, kids and grandkids of his and the guys in the band. Bernie Fiedler paced the front like an expectant grandparent, stopping to exchange a few words with people he knew up front. The ushers hurried up and down the aisles, seating (almost)late-comers. Finally, a few minutes past eight, the lights dimmed, a murmur of anticipation, then loud applause followed as the guys bounced out on stage and took their positions. Immediately thereafter Gord strode out to thunderous applause and standing ovation, launching straight into "Never Too Close."

Interspersed with the songs were the reappearing belly button story and the "practice, man, practice" bit about getting his chops back (stiff hands.) He told of how he'd had a problem with his feet swelling so that he couldn't get his boots on, and his doctor advising him to buy bigger boots; his family doctor was also in the audience down front. As for performance, there was a bit of TWOTEF muffed ever so slightly at the "does anyone know where the love of God goes" line - he started into "in a musty old hall in De-troy-it" verse but recovered in about 2 syllables; otherwise TWOTEF was cracklin' good. And he had to do a bit of tuning with "Shadows" - did a restart on that one. But otherwise I didn't notice anything else. The lower register was wonderful, a little strained on some numbers higher up but he was clearly enjoying himself, getting more and more into it as the evening went on.

If I can decipher my scribbles made in the dark of Massey, here's the setlist:
1. Never Too Close
2. Don Quixote
3. Minstrel of the Dawn
4. Harmony
5. In My Fashion
6. Christian Island (abbreviated)
7. I Used to Be a Country Singer
8. Sundown
9. Ribbon of Darkness
10. Ghosts of Cape Horn
11. Cotton Jenny
12. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
13. Spanish Moss ... segues into ...
14. Shadows

Intermission

15. Waiting for You
16. Restless
17. Clouds of Loneliness
18. Let It Ride
19. If You Could Read My Mind
20. Baby Step Back
21. Early Morning Rain
22. Song for a Winter's Night
23. Bitter Green
24. On the High Seas
25. Old Dan's Records

Encore #1 ("I think I have enough air left")
The Canadian Railroad Trilogy - he did

Encore #2 ("We were coming back anyway")
Cold on the Shoulder

More standing ovations, applause, a final round of bows, then off stage and lights up.

I didn't make the post-concert shindig hosted by Janice; our daughter Rachel was under the weather with a sore throat/cold virus - and bless her, she seems to have shared it with us as we're both coming down with something. So it's probably best that we headed back to the hotel and to bed right afterwards. I was asleep five minutes after my head hit the pillow. We booked out early from Toronto and were home by 1:30 this afternoon. Now I have to unpack, check the mail, messages and weekend papers. Back to the real world.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #18
Auburn Annie

My family and I met with a whole bunch of corfidders (?) at the City Grill for dinner pre-concert (thank you Sarah and Eric, our waiters.) A good meal was enjoyed by all. My husband, daughter and I left immediately thereafter to do some last minute shopping - I had to pry my daughter out of Sephora with a crowbar - then dashed back to the Cambridge Suites hotel to freshen up for the concert. We arrived at Massey about 7:15, with the scalpers in full bloom out front looking to buy spare tickets.

There were already quite a few early birds seated, catching up with old friends and sharing Lightfoot concert experiences. I chatted with John (Fowles) for a bit, until the seat's occupant next to mine showed up. Gord took a quick peek at the house around 7:30; I was sitting Left floor row H and could see the backstage curtains part enough for him to partly step out for a quick once-over.

Massey itself was wonderful if steamy until *somebody* at MH found the on switch for air conditioning and a blessed rush of cool air swirled over us after the intermission. Before that I thought I was having the mother of all hot flashes. It was also family night for Lightfoot and Company; Gord had cousins from both sides of the family and a platoon of friends and relations from Orillia in the house, in addition to wives, kids and grandkids of his and the guys in the band. Bernie Fiedler paced the front like an expectant grandparent, stopping to exchange a few words with people he knew up front. The ushers hurried up and down the aisles, seating (almost)late-comers. Finally, a few minutes past eight, the lights dimmed, a murmur of anticipation, then loud applause followed as the guys bounced out on stage and took their positions. Immediately thereafter Gord strode out to thunderous applause and standing ovation, launching straight into "Never Too Close."

Interspersed with the songs were the reappearing belly button story and the "practice, man, practice" bit about getting his chops back (stiff hands.) He told of how he'd had a problem with his feet swelling so that he couldn't get his boots on, and his doctor advising him to buy bigger boots; his family doctor was also in the audience down front. As for performance, there was a bit of TWOTEF muffed ever so slightly at the "does anyone know where the love of God goes" line - he started into "in a musty old hall in De-troy-it" verse but recovered in about 2 syllables; otherwise TWOTEF was cracklin' good. And he had to do a bit of tuning with "Shadows" - did a restart on that one. But otherwise I didn't notice anything else. The lower register was wonderful, a little strained on some numbers higher up but he was clearly enjoying himself, getting more and more into it as the evening went on.

If I can decipher my scribbles made in the dark of Massey, here's the setlist:
1. Never Too Close
2. Don Quixote
3. Minstrel of the Dawn
4. Harmony
5. In My Fashion
6. Christian Island (abbreviated)
7. I Used to Be a Country Singer
8. Sundown
9. Ribbon of Darkness
10. Ghosts of Cape Horn
11. Cotton Jenny
12. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
13. Spanish Moss ... segues into ...
14. Shadows

Intermission

15. Waiting for You
16. Restless
17. Clouds of Loneliness
18. Let It Ride
19. If You Could Read My Mind
20. Baby Step Back
21. Early Morning Rain
22. Song for a Winter's Night
23. Bitter Green
24. On the High Seas
25. Old Dan's Records

Encore #1 ("I think I have enough air left")
The Canadian Railroad Trilogy - he did

Encore #2 ("We were coming back anyway")
Cold on the Shoulder

More standing ovations, applause, a final round of bows, then off stage and lights up.

I didn't make the post-concert shindig hosted by Janice; our daughter Rachel was under the weather with a sore throat/cold virus - and bless her, she seems to have shared it with us as we're both coming down with something. So it's probably best that we headed back to the hotel and to bed right afterwards. I was asleep five minutes after my head hit the pillow. We booked out early from Toronto and were home by 1:30 this afternoon. Now I have to unpack, check the mail, messages and weekend papers. Back to the real world.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #19
The Rez

Much thanks from Balboa,

I'da been w/ y'all if I had the bread to get there - if I'd had a ticket - if I hadn't overslept.

One day - one day - I'll set in The Hall and wonder to The Man- one day.

The Rez
[Psalm 139:13]
The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #20
byKimberly

Send a message via AIM to byKimberly

Thanks Musky and Annie for including us in the wonderment of Gord. Is'nt Massey wonderful!
Kimberly
Old 05-22-2005, 10:22 PM   #21
Sheryl

Thank you Musky and Annie! Annie, thanks for the great review! How exciting! I could "see" everything as you wrote it!! <shudder> Wonderful!! MWAHHH!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 10:23 PM   #22
Tyler

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
My family and I met with a whole bunch of corfidders (?)
Maybe Corfidians?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 10:23 PM   #23
brink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
My family and I met with a whole bunch of corfidders (?)
Maybe Corfidians?
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:48 AM   #24
Auburn Annie

LOL reminds me of "...rich Corinthian leather..."
Old 05-23-2005, 05:48 AM   #25
Auburn Annie

LOL reminds me of "...rich Corinthian leather..."