banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 12-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
patybear

This doesn't really relate to Gordon Lightfoot,so I'll put it here.How did everyone choose his or her user name? After being here for a while,its fairly apparent that some of you used one of Gordon's songs for inspiration.How about the rest
of you?

In the interest of fairness,I'll go first since I
started this topic.My boyfriend came up with patybear.He reached over to hug me one night as he was falling asleep,and said,'patybear'.It comes from my real first name and no,I'm not going to tell you what it is.Its nothing personal,its just that when I'm on the internet I try not to give away to much personal information.You never know what kind of sickos might be out there.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Yuri

My name is Yuri and my parents chose it for me 52 years ago.
The fellow "Lightheads" I met at Massey will no doubt verify that I am one of those "sickos" you are wisely protecting yourself from.
Smartass Right?

As for my signature, I chose it, or rather, it chose me - for my love of canoeing the far north.
"Whispers Of The North" is a beautiful canoeing song with the almost hypnotic rhythm keeping time with the paddle strokes. When I listen to that tune and close my eyes, I can almost take myself back to those beautiful isolated wilderness rivers. Especially important now that I am wheelchair bound as my memories are my only escape.

(blacked out my face to avoid recognition :D Please note my 'Canary Yellow Canoe')

Yuri
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:44 AM   #3
DJ in MJ

My handle is my name and initials. I used to use just "David", but then I was away for awhile and couldn't remember my password, so I created a new name with my initials on the end.

As for sickos, I won't give away any info other than my first name (mostly for phishing reasons), but if you can find me in the middle of the forest, I'll give you a ton of credit. Then I'll sick my dogs on you...
DJ in MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:05 AM   #4
fezo

Ah. Fezo is fezo wherever he goes..... NAme's Steve actually. Fezo came about when I was 12 and trying to chet in a game of Scrabble for Juniors with my then 6 year old brother. This was 1963. He had the z and looking at the pictures that surround the board saw a fez and realized he could make that work. I had garbage. I remember of my 7 letters 4 were os and the rest were other vowels I think. So I played an o and tried to convince him taht fezo was a word. It didn't work but the word stuck. We used it kind of like the name of the extended family through high school and beyon and even for a few years had a band that went by that name. There are no fewer than 4 fezo license plates in the states. New Jersey (mine), Pennsylvania (a younger brother), Maine (my older brother) and New Hampshire (a friend that is as good as a brother).
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
zoneranger

Two of the greatest television shows ever....
The Twilight Zone
and The Lone Ranger
Old 12-26-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
brink-

BTW ZRanger - happy belated birthday! Do you say Merry Birthday or Happy Christmas? Hope it was a great one!
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #7
Borderstone

Hey Patybear! I do know this came up a looooonnng time ago but I don't mind telling it again.

Let's see,I had bought Songbook on Aug. 7th 2001 and one of the songs I liked of the unreleased material was "Borderstone". In finding this site a year later,I looked in for weeks and finally decided to register in Feb 2003.

Strange as it sounds,I didn't think of Borderstone right away. Like most,I tried more popular GL song names but most of the big ones were taken. So,I thought,maybe one of the rare track names?

So I then tried (embarrased to say now) Canary Yellow Canoe :D It registered okay but then for the life of me,I could not recall my password! Gone!

So,then I tried Borderstone,made a much easier password for myself and have been "B" ever since. That's about it. Bye now!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
DJ in MJ

Hey Border-buddy, sometimes second thoughts (or a forgetful memory) are best. Judging by the high quality and fun personality of your posts, you are most definitely a Borderstone. CYC just doesn't seem to fit. :D

Ok, CYC is supposed to be a fun song, but I can live without it. Borderstone is a great song!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
Gitchigumee

Mine is fairly obvious. Gitchigumee is the Ojibwa, or Chippewa, word for Lake Superior, final resting place for the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Also, it's a place I visit every year or two and enjoy its beauty. I had the privilege of kayaking on Gitchigumee this past summer, for the first time, and it was incredible.

As for my sign-off, it's simply one of the most beautifully written pieces of literature ever, and now that you mention it, it goes well with my Native American "handle."
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #10
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Obviously my name was inspired by Afaair on 8th Ave.

Mike's my name Touhy is the name of a street that runs though the center of the town I live in.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I cleverly shortened Bill Wallace to BILLW. I did this before I realized that many folks liked to use cool screen names, whatever. Anyway I have no fear of internet stalkers and I have never even gotten any spam that could be traced to posting on corfid.

I couldn't use just Bill 'cause that was already claimed by "Bill". But you'll notice many of the old-timers here (look at member #) just use their names like Char, Val, Cathy, johnfowles, etc.

And some old-timers have high numbers because they used to post "unregistered" but after a recent software upgrade that feature was disallowed so they had to come out of the closet, so to speak.

And some folks have more than one memeber ID but we all know who's who most times, LOL.

Thanks for asking,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:47 PM   #12
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by zoneranger:
The Twilight Zone
and The Lone Ranger
Yo zoney,

You registered the day after I did but you have been much more discreet with your posts, LOL. Wonder what happened to 292 and 293 ???

Peace,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:32 PM   #13
zoneranger

Quote:
Originally posted by BILLW:
quote:Originally posted by zoneranger:
The Twilight Zone
and The Lone Ranger
Yo zoney,

You registered the day after I did but you have been much more discreet with your posts, LOL. Wonder what happened to 292 and 293 ???

Peace,

Bill
[/QUOTE]Checked on 292 and 293---they have a total of 3 posts between them. Obviously, not true Lightfoot fans!

And thank you Brink for the birthday wishes---51 and going strong!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Moosedog

Fun question! My screen name was inspired by my dog, Kodi. For security purposes, she's asked I only provide her first name. Kodi is a beautiful Norwegian Elkhound, also referred to as "Moosedogs".

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:23 AM   #15
joveski

um, its my surname...

i now hide under the handle of 'froggie'
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #16
ELizabeth

My real first name is Elizabeth but I am now thinking of formally changing to 'Lizbet'. A name offered by John Fowles. I fell in love with it and mostly use it when I am posting to John.
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:17 AM   #17
Winter's Claw

The inspiration for my name is probably pretty obvious: it comes from the lyrics of "Love & Maple Syrup":

In the north when when winter's claw
Relaxes now to keep the laws of nature in control
People come and stand in line
To rob the forest of her wine
But they don't feel the cold

I've always particularly liked the lyrics of that song.
Winter's Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #18
Jennifer

Well, my name is Jennifer, or Jen to most. Not very original I know, but every other name I tried was taken, so out of frustration I just typed Jennifer and voila here I am!

I like my name now, even though 7 out of 10 women my age seem to be a Jennifer (the other 3 are "Lisa" ha ha). I still remember being in the supermarket with my mom as a kid, and some other mom in the store would call out "Jennifer!" and 6 girls would turn around at the same time
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:31 AM   #19
formerlylavender

Jennifer, I had to respond because my name is Lisa! Growing up I always had at least one other Lisa in my class. It was so annoying. I don't dislike my name, per se, but resented being
"Lisa G." through my school years. My sister and brother both got somewhat unique family names and never encountered the problems I did.

By the way, my screen name was originally "Lavender" (unregistered) because I love the song and the color for that matter. Someone came along and registered as Lavender, hence the current "formerlylavender".
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:35 AM   #20
patybear

To Jesse-Joe:
Gordon Lightfoot's mothers name was
Jessica.I can't prove it,but I'm fairly certain it was 'Jessie' for short.Hence the name 'Jessie-Joe',etc.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #21
DJ in MJ

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer:
I like my name now, even though 7 out of 10 women my age seem to be a Jennifer (the other 3 are "Lisa" ha ha). I still remember being in the supermarket with my mom as a kid, and some other mom in the store would call out "Jennifer!" and 6 girls would turn around at the same time
I had the same trouble with David. There was always another David in my class, and sometimes even three or four!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #22
Patti

Mine is just my name. Before I was born, my name was Jennifer Lee, but when my mom saw me, she said that's Patti Lou. I was called Patti Lou for a few years, now it's usually just Patti.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #23
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally posted by patybear:
To Jesse-Joe:
Gordon Lightfoot's mothers name was
Jessica.I can't prove it,but I'm fairly certain it was 'Jessie' for short.Hence the name 'Jessie-Joe',etc.
patybear
Hi patybear, I did know about Lightfoot's Mom, and her name was definetely Jessica...

This had been discussed in some other post. Maybe he was referring to her in memory on Flyin
Blind?

"Even Flyin' Blind, which on the surface is a straightforward tale of adventure, is awash in metaphor, intended or otherwise, as he calls on Jessi-Jo to guide him through the cold world he now finds himself in as he is flying blind, trying to regain a foothold amid the clouds of loneliness."

But the thing is that, in the Cd booklet, he gives Special Thanks to Jessi-Jo...

Maybe one day it will be known???

[ January 20, 2007, 13:14: Message edited by: Jesse-Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #24
MistyMoppens

wait a minute, wait a minute, wait just one minute!!

*BeepBeep!* back up the truck...

Brink/Girlfriend... you made an appearance here but forgot to tell us about your User Name. This is something I've always wanted to know about you!
So come on.... (lol)

I choose my ID because we used to breed Old English Sheepdogs and my all-time favorite of this breed was named Fezziwig Misty Moppens. Between that and my shaggy/in the eyes hair style I thought it would be a good fit.

Fun topic! Thanks PatyBear!
MistyMoppens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:56 AM   #25
godzuki

I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but in the late 1970s, there was an animated version of "Godzilla" by Hanna-Barbera. In this cartoon, if the Calico's crew ere in trouble they'd call Godzilla by one of two methods: push a button or godzuki, a reptile who was the crew would holler. I was young child at the time and watched it every Saturday when it would come on. Thanks to the wingnuttoons website, I got all the episodes. I only got an e-mail because I needed it for a distance learning for a local community college. Someone suggested I come up with a make-believe name. That's why I now call myself Godzuki on the internet.
godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote