banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 01-29-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Harmony

How did you come up with your login name on this site? I got mine from the song, "Harmony"!
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
Highwayman

Good topic. There is a song called "Highwayman", sung by Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, and Johnny Cash. To me, that is the best song ever. I'm not sure if it's the tune, or if it's the lyrics, or just both, but I've never heard a song quite like it.
Anyway, I got my username after it.
Highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by Harmony:
How did you come up with your login name on this site? I got mine from the song, "Harmony"!

I came up with mine by cleverly combining my nickname (Bill) with the first letter of may last name (W)allace. People confuse me with the founder of AA but I'm not him.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
djb

At first I used David (now there is pure genius for you!), then I went away for awhile and had troubles logging on, so I created djb, which are my initials (again, more creative brilliance).

I do have two nicks on other groups. "Kottbullar", which means "meatball" (as in Swedish meatball). And the other is "vrangskalle", which translates to "perverse head" or "obstinate head". "Vrang" being the insult and "skalle" being the skull or head.

I have yet to use "surskalle" as a nick, which means "sourhead"!

Old 01-30-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
charlene

My parents named me after my maternal grandfather "Charles"

lol

an old boyfriend in 1972 shortened it to Char and it's been Char more often in the last few years since I discovered the internet Lightfoot folks....

Billyboy (talbot10) calls me Charzo...
Ed M. calls me Boss Lady
Jenney calls me Sparky2
Bru calls me Dopey2

some folks just call me crazy.....

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:50 AM   #6
Sheryl Klein

I was told my parents argued over what my name would be when I was born, so my dad stormed off from the hospital, leaving my mom to name me whatever she pleased!! That's why my middle name (Sylvia) is what my dad would have wanted for my first name and not the other way around. Also, I have a nickname which was given to me by jj (Special K) I kind of like it... thanks, jj! Oh, and along the lines of what Annie wrote below, in my family, my older step-sister's name is Cheryl. So, whenever someone would call for us, "We'd yell, 'WHICH ONE?'" !! We especially loved to torment the boys when they called !!! ("What do you mean, which one?") So, since I'm two years younger, I was called "Little Sheryl" and she was "Big Cheryl." I don't think she liked that at all! hehe

[This message has been edited by Sheryl Klein (edited January 31, 2005).]
Old 01-31-2005, 08:02 AM   #7
Auburn Annie

I may have posted this somewhere else on this site, but what the hey....

I'm Auburn Annie, so called by my maternal grandmother to distinguish me from a first cousin, Scranton Annie. We share the same first name - though I have the 'e' at the end ("Anne") and she's plain Ann. But when one or the other of us would stop by to visit, my aunt would say "Ann(e)'s here" and my grandmother would ask, "Which one? Auburn Annie or Scranton Annie?" because my cousin's mother was from Scranton PA while mine was homegrown in Auburn. So in the family I've been Auburn Annie ever since. "Scranton Annie" now lives and works in Philadelphia, so I supppose she could be called "Philly Annie" but Gram is long gone so it doesn't matter. More confusing in our house is if somebody says "Chris called" and we need to distinguish between my sister Chris, my husband's brother Chris, or my sister Terry's husband, Chris.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:09 PM   #8
miketouhy

my 1st name is Mike though Touhy is the name of a street that goes through the town i live in.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:54 PM   #9
violet Blue Horse

It's my Pagan name. It is personally symbolic, and provides direction and aspiration at times.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:48 PM   #10
jj

well, nothing scientific here...i don't type too well (one finger and lots of mishits), and unfortunately quite sloooowly also...so when i waas prompted for a username i thought i'd quickly pick a pair of lowercase (to heck with the caps key) letters that were closest to the centre of the keyboard

it's really just a coincidence that the two i hit are also my initials

...i was actually aiming for the 'h'
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:15 PM   #11
SilverHeels

I bet none of ya can guess how I cane by my nickname ...
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #12
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by SilverHeels:
I bet none of ya can guess how I cane by my nickname ...

No woman is an island (heathen or otherwise)??
John Fowles
always known at school (that's skool not schule BY The Way) as"chix" the nick name I was using in the chat room in 1999 when I met Susan (when those there assumed I was a female chick and Susan (as plain "g") I memorably assumed was a man
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:52 PM   #13
LSH

wow, susan and john, that must have made for interesting role play!

Annie, aren't you glad you didn't get stuck with Scranton Ann? eek! you got the better end of the deal.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:55 PM   #14
Borderstone

Sorry I didn't notice this topic sooner.

When I first found this site I was amazed it was even here and I was still just a little over a year into my newfound "Lightheaded-ness"! When I finally decided to apply to post here,I wanted a name that would not be an obvious choice.

Most of the best one's were taken already,so I checked my LP's and Songbook box set. Somehow,it wasn't until after I read the little book that came in the box set,that I decided on Borderstone. I had read the defenition of what the song is about,which is what I now use in my signature at the bottom.Funny thing,I didn't use that phrase that way until late last year.

Now that I've been here awhile I think I can finally confess something. I tried another name before but somehow my password slipped my mind and no matter what I did,I couldn't get back in! So then I went with my current name. The original? "Canary Yellow Canoe"!! or "eonaC wolleY YranaC"!! Yep,I screwed up big time!

I used an easier password the second time.
Been me and...I'm glad the first one didn't work out,I like my name.

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:18 PM   #15
Sentimental

This is all so interesting!

I'm Sentimental because, well, I'm sentimental. But also because the name of my shop is Sentimental Reasons.
Sentimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:07 PM   #16
The Rez

I only came on board yesterday as I began my 59th circle 'round the sun.

My given name is Rex I'm in Balboa, CA. Way-way back in 1962 there was quite a music scene here.

Bill Medley didn't think "Rex" was cool, so he nick'd me "Rez" To a lot of surf-geezers that's who I've always been.

Hence . . .

The Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:51 PM   #17
Borderstone

Hey Rez! Between '77 and '80 I lived in La Jolla in a small section known as University City! I believe it's now called University Heights and there's a mall there called (naturally) The University Towne Center.

Are you familiar with any of that? We used to go on field trips to Balboa Park when I was in school there.

I just wished we'd stayed in Cal.,now I live in AZ!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Old 02-19-2005, 01:31 AM   #18
Sheryl Klein

Hi Borderstone,

You know, every year we go to San Diego on vacation and a few years ago stopped at University Heights for dinner! It's really a very lovely town now. Beautiful planned community, gorgeous homes surrounding the university area (at least what we saw!). I'd say you did quite the change in climate moving there. I bet you miss it.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:04 PM   #19
Borderstone

Sure do Sheryl! (*wah,sniff!*) Mainly because I had 4 really cool budswhen I lived there and I haven't seen them since I left. Except one when I went for a return vacation trip in 1990,but he was too busy to make time to hang out.

Also because in Sept. 1978,when I was 10,I fell in love with a girl during the first few days of 5th grade! Boy did I act like a dork trying to "impress" her. LOL!

Aside from those reasons,yep,the scenery,the weather and only being a few miles from the beach (the women in bikinis!!!) ....who wouldn't miss it?!

Thankfully I have pictures and my oldest bro's 8mm films that he made with his friends to remember it! I'm not sure that if i did have the $$ today,if I would buy a home there,they say you can't go back again and my trip in '90 proved that to be quite so. Maybe a different SD area? Who knows? Later!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Borderstone (edited February 19, 2005).]
Old 02-20-2005, 05:13 AM   #20
Westernstar9

"WesternStar" is the name of a former passenger train on the Great Northern RR that ran between Chicago and Seattle. It was the secondary run on that route behind the "Empire Builder". It was not selected to continue under Amtrak in 1971.

"9"is the number I wear when playing on softball teams.
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #21
Meekrofilm

Meekrofilm comes from the seldom remembered comedy "National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1" with Emilio Estevez and Samuel L. Jackson. Tim Curry, when interrogating Whoopi Goldberg asks her, "Now, where is the meekrofilm?"

Cheers,
Brian www.thebarnacles.com
Meekrofilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 11:05 PM   #22
Patti

quote:Originally posted by Harmony:

Hi Harmony, I think it's neat that you thought of the name Harmony for your user name. I might have thought of that one myself if you hadn't already chosen it. Mine is just my name right now, but maybe I should change it.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:19 AM   #23
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by Patti:
Hi Harmony, I think it's neat that you thought of the name Harmony for your user name. I might have thought of that one myself if you hadn't already chosen it. Mine is just my name right now, but maybe I should change it.

Yeah how about using DMD4 or DMD5 or even DMDIII ? Wouldn't that be cool ?

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #24
Patti

Yeah, that could be cool.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:39 PM   #25
Ducaire

quote:Originally posted by Patti:
Yeah, that could be cool.

Watchman, quit playing games.