banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-11-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
formerlylavender

Default Princeton, NJ 5/10/17

We were glad to be able to attend Gord's first show of ten in his May schedule. Our previous shows have typically been in the middle or at the end of the run, so I was curious how his voice would be. He was in great form - talkative and his voice was strong. My husband thought his voice was even stronger in the second set - guess he had a chance to warm up. Princeton is a beautiful area, and the McCarter theater is a lovely venue. The last time Gord performed there was 2001. It was great to see Bill, Carl, John, Susan and Mom.

Here's the setlist. I think it's correct - hard to read my scribble this morning.

Sweet Guinevere
Did She Mention My Name
Waiting for You
Never Too Close
Don Q
Clouds of Loneliness
Rainy Day People
APPT
Spanish Moss
Shadows
Beautiful
The Watchmans Gone
The Wreck
Carefree Highway

2nd
Now and Then
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
I'd Rather Press On
Minstrel of the Dawn
Let It Ride
IYCRMM
Restless
Baby Step Back
CRT (seemed to be introducing Early Morning Rain but changed his mind)

Cold on the Shoulder - encore
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW
Default Re: Princeton, NJ 5/10/17

Lovely time had by all. My friend Carl was impressed and enjoyed the show. Gord's voice did get stronger after the intermission. It was nice to see John and his group. Susan mentioned this was her 3rd of the 3 shows he has performed here including 1974.

Wonderful meal with Lisa, Keith and Carl before the show followed by Carl giving us a tour of the campus on the way to the show. He was the Town Engineer for nearly 3 decades so he seemed to know his way around.

The start of the show was delayed by 6 minutes but it seemed to be the house not wanting to seat anyone in the dark.

Gord told the longest version of an Early Morning Rain story I had ever heard, it went on and on. I said to my guest you're going to enjoy this. And then in the blink of an eye he said I think we'll do this for you now AND launched into CRT. He did a great job of it but what happened to EMR I was left pondering???

If you have tickets for this tour segment you should have a great time.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlylavender View Post
Here's the setlist. I think it's correct - hard to read my scribble this morning.
Lisa it is identical to what we have

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
Gord told the longest version of an Early Morning Rain story I had ever heard, it went on and on. I said to my guest you're going to enjoy this. And then in the blink of an eye he said I think we'll do this for you now AND launched into CRT. He did a great job of it but what happened to EMR I was left pondering???

10.For this next song Gord was wearing the number two B45 so it seemed likely that it was going to be either EMR or CRT. His intro began by referring to a cover by Ian and Sylvia then Gord talked about the fact that in the mid 1960s his song management in the USA had overlapped Bob's and that Witmark had passed his song onto Peter Paul and Mary. Next Gord said that Elvis had included it in the first album that he made after returning from Europe, a live recording of a concert from Honolulu called "Aloha from Hawaii"

(in fact Elvis's military career had ended in 1960 and the world's first ever complete live concert to be broadcast by satellite was not until 1973).Gord then launched into what seemed to be his now familiar recounting of his abortive post concert meeting with Elvis in Buffalo NY but he made a new comment that Elvis had ended with American Trilogy. That comment must have broken his train of thought because his next chord strum was unmistakably the opening of his own "Trilogy"!
10.CRT

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 05-12-2017 at 10:16 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #4
paskatefan

A very enjoyable concert & a lovely venue!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote