banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Sundreme

Default Gord Interviewed About Terry

Article in the Winnipeg Freepress where Gord is interviewed and expesses some heartfelt thoughts about Terry:

"Terry was a terrific guy, and a wonderful friend and a great guitar player," Lightfoot said in a telephone interview Monday morning.
"He was one of my best friends."

He mentions the new guitarist that will be working with them:
For his fall tour, which begins Nov. 20 in Vancouver, Lightfoot has recruited Hamilton guitarist Carter Lancaster, whom he calls a "great player."
"But there's no replacing Clements."
"He presented a shining example to so many people," Lightfoot said."

*EDIT* I know the article mentions that his tour starts in November, but I know its been said here, I believe by Char ,that they are going out on the road as planned in a few weeks, so I don't know if the November date is a mistake or not.

The rest of the article can be read at the link below

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...117076653.html

Last edited by Sundreme; 02-28-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
3pennies

Default Re: Gord Interviewed About Terry

Interesting. I wonder who's on board for March 15th?
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
3pennies

http://carterlancaster.com/Home.html
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
jj

Thanks so much Sundreme and the article even answered my trivia question

I had never heard harp guitar til checking him out on YouTube

The Hamilton music scene continues to deliver. Solid name
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
charlene

Here's the whole article in case the link ever stops working:
The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/gordon-ligh...95748-036.html

Gordon Lightfoot remembers late guitarist Clements as one of his best friends
By: Nick Patch, The Canadian Press

Posted: 02/28/2011 12:00 PM |TORONTO - Gordon Lightfoot remembers his late guitarist Terry Clements as a "terrific guy" whose distinctive playing helped create some of the most memorable moments in Lightfoot's music.

Clements died on Feb. 20, 10 days after suffering a stroke. He was 63.

Lightfoot coming to MTS Centre in the Spring "Terry was a terrific guy, and a wonderful friend and a great guitar player," Lightfoot said in a telephone interview Monday morning.

"He was one of my best friends."

Lightfoot met Clements when both happened to be working on music for the 1968 Burt Reynolds TV movie "Fade-In."

In 1970, Lightfoot's lead guitarist Red Shea decided to leave his touring band, and Lightfoot immediately thought of Clements. He flew him up to Toronto for an audition and was immediately impressed by the youngster.

Still, there was an initial adjustment period for Clements, who had grown up listening to a diverse assortment of music — even taking cues from surf guitar pioneer Dick Dale — but was now being tasked with mastering the folk genre.

"Terry could have been a rock musician," Lightfoot said. "He had to learn to play capo music — which is quite common in folk music — and he had to learn two or three different ways of playing the instrument, but being the kind of guitarist he was, he picked up on all these things very quickly.

"He was a very fast learner, and I might add that he also taught me a lot of things myself as we went along through the years. He was a great teacher."

Born in 1947, Clements began playing guitar when he was only five years old. He spent two years in the navy upon graduating high school but then bounced between various musical gigs — including spending time with a '60s outfit called Golden Sunflower — before landing with Lightfoot.

Clements contributed to nearly all of Lightfoot's most popular tunes, including "Carefree Highway," "Sundown" and, of course, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," with its haunting solo and textured playing — meant to bring to mind the crashing waves and whistling wind — standing as perhaps the best showcase for the guitarist's unique abilities.

"He and Pee Wee Charles together came up with the sound ... that we achieved on that recording with the guitar parts that, really, he invented," Lightfoot said.

"He was a great player. He was a natural. ... Working with him was such a pleasure through all those years. You know, there really were never any problems with any of the work that we were doing, and we were always of course on an improvement venture, in trying to make everything better all the time."

"And he was ready to do that. Always ready to go, and enthusiastic."

Lightfoot reminisces on a few of his favourite moments from touring with Clements for roughly four decades: the time they were mutually inspired by American folkie Rod McKuen at the Royal Albert Hall, or getting invited backstage together to meet German actress and singer Marlene Dietrich, or a nighttime sailing jaunt in Perth, Australia, during which their promoter almost toppled over the side of the boat.

Lightfoot said that Clements occasionally seemed to struggle when the band wasn't on the road — "his life was a bit of a roller-coaster ride, his personal life" — but that he always handled his music career with the utmost professionalism.

"The music always came first," Lightfoot said. "Being prepared and ready to go, that was part of the game. We were like a team. Like a sports team getting ready for a game every time we went onstage.

"We wanted to play the best."

Lightfoot says he and Clements rehearsed together two days before the guitarist entered the hospital, where he remained for two weeks until his death. But the 72-year-old Lightfoot said Clements had been enduring various health problems for years, until "everything failed at once."

For his fall tour, which begins Nov. 20 in Vancouver, Lightfoot has recruited Hamilton guitarist Carter Lancaster, whom he calls a "great player."

But there's no replacing Clements.

"He presented a shining example to so many people," Lightfoot said.

"Everywhere we went, there were people who really appreciated his playing and appreciated his natural ability. And he had many friends, many, many friends throughout North America, who really admired his playing and had a great deal of respect for him."
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
charlene

The fall Canadian tour starts in November with Carter Lancaster. Perhaps the rest of the tour will have someone else.. ???
LOVE the name Carter...
(27 years ago I was preggers - baby born in March 1984 after a trip to Mssey to see Lightfoot, and was ready to call the baby, if it was a boy, Carter. Folks were aghast ..When he was born he didn't look like I imagined this Carter person to look like...backup name was Darryl.. nowadays you can't swing a dead cat without finding a kid named Carter..lol. If Lisa had been a boy she'd have been Carter..)
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

thank you for posting this article. It was a fitting tribute from GL and it was nice to learn a few things most of us didn't know, like the name of the movie...
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
The fall Canadian tour starts in November with Carter Lancaster. Perhaps the rest of the tour will have someone else.. ???
The article from Yahoo News indicated the following:

"Lightfoot has recruited Hamilton guitarist Carter Lancaster, whom he calls a "great player," to join his touring band, beginning with a show on March 15 in Greensboro, N.C."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/gordon-ligh...95748-036.html
Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Lightfoot said that Clements occasionally seemed to struggle when the band wasn't on the road — "his life was a bit of a roller-coaster ride, his personal life" — but that he always handled his music career with the utmost professionalism.

"The music always came first," Lightfoot said. "Being prepared and ready to go, that was part of the game. We were like a team. Like a sports team getting ready for a game every time we went onstage.

"We wanted to play the best."
Sounds like Clements and Lightfoot were/are kindred spirits.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Sounds like Clements and Lightfoot were/are kindred spirits.
Well said, rm

... "are"
jj is offline   Reply With Quote