banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 10-23-2008, 02:24 AM   #26
geodeticman.5

Default Re: Leaving Soon :(

Pam - (Podunk ) - best of luck in your Ohio assignment . As I am from around there ages 1 - 16 , the first archealogical things that come to mind in Ohio (and I know you can't say for proprietary reasons) are

1. The mysterious "Indian Snake Mounds" - rather, but not completely unique to Ohio, the sepentine mouNds thought to be.....everything oooeeeeeeaaaaooooo lol... i'VE HEARD SOME of the mounds are on private property, most on Pulbic dedicated property. - maybeeeee-
and
2. Mohican State Park - rich with NATIVE american diggs. But thats Public LAND ----nawwww.

I'm an ex- North Olmsted west of Cleveland boy near to more possibilities - Bradley Woods Reservation, and Rocky River Valley formerly Metro-parks ("The Valley" - ring around the Land of Cleves) - now a State-Park ,too - where a certifiable friend of mine - I MEAN a friend of mine certifiably saw a "pie-plate people" -up on the valley rim, the pie-heads known amongst locals to be without-a-doubt aliens - their heads are made of spinning shiney metal (that quickly rusts in the sink) pie-plates ( you know with the spin around lever to ungrab the crust from the pan) - and their distant galactic cousin the spinning cake-plate head people.....- who obviously thought deeper thoughts. She swears to this day that in the 70's when she saw it - she'd not had a joint...

Well good luck in the digs - sounds like hard service out there by the hot tun 1! lol...

BORING MAP STUFF EXCEPT MAYBE TO PAM who is cool and probably runs a -( I'll wager a 20" PentaxTotal Station with co-axial EDM--hmm ? )

Hey - if your plumb-bob dies (I can make any conversation about mapping lol) , and/or it sways in the light breeze, I'll loan you my BIG BAD BOB - 2 POUNDS (32OZ) OF PURE Brass (except changeable carbide tip) GEODETIC -grade Plumb bob from the old days of early Geodetic Surveys (Bilby Towers, Tellurometers, Gravimeters), (40-mile observations limited by earth-curvature) and (60 mile observations with a Bilby Tower),. BigBad Bob is resting next to my first Hand Held GPS - now a dinosaur too, but when BIG BAD BOB was working for me, GPS was an $85000 Trimble 3000SX fill-your Motor-Pool Suburban with 3 steel boxes 2ft x 2ft x 10" each. But that, after post-processing, could nail a 1st order controL point down to 5mm +/- 5ppm after considerable a priori post-processing, and will still blow the doors off of the widdle cell-phone GPS autonomous chips that advertise +/- meter (agh=agh-chooooo-bullsh**oooooo) oh man (rubbing nose) 'scuse me lol... those'll put you one street over and 300 ft away from your destination point....but thats one meter within the equally inaccurate map under it on screem - (its the geographic coordinates given are off 200-350 feet) - but nobody cares about those (lat long) anymore....until on a REAL map it takes you too a desperate clamber over a boulder'ed ridge to alleged water .. and its...the nest ridge over..... ohh welll.. lol....
END BORING MAP STUFF LOL

Good luck out there my fellow civil servant - and dig hearty. Remember - "X" never, ever, marks the spot - except in Sicilan Medieval Libraries on the floor tiles with Roman numerals I - XII in a circle, and then the sun shines in and it..... lol c u LATER PAM...PODUNK