banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #26
Gitchigumee

I prefer to think the song is about the women in his life, and the fact that they have always inspired him. I wish he'd have done the video with photos/scenes of his grandmothers, mother, wife, daughters and granddaughter-I believe he has at least one. That would have been really really cool.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #27
Jennifer

His guitar huh? Well I never thought of it like that but thats an interesting take and could very well be possible. I'll need to pay extra attention to the lyrics next time.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #28
fkafl

I think that the guitar, esp that D-18 of his, is a viable and interesting way of looking at that song, and others mentioned on this thread. Could very well be. His song "I'll Do Anything", imo, is not about a woman, but about his drive to write songs - "Takin' dead aim/ On fortune and fame/ You might say...". Gord's guitar? Sure. I could buy that....
fkafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #29
bjm7777

I think that the guitar, esp that D-18 of his, is a viable and interesting way of looking at that song, and others mentioned on this thread. Could very well be. His song "I'll Do Anything", imo, is not about a woman, but about his drive to write songs - "Takin' dead aim/ On fortune and fame/ You might say...". Gord's guitar? Sure. I could buy that....
Old 04-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #30
Gitchigumee

The song was written for/about his wife Elizabeth. See interview by "our" Char, under the thread: Ring,ring: "Hi Char, it's Gordon Lightfoot calling":

CHAR: In your song “Inspiration Lady” who or what is Inspiration Lady?

G.L.: pause….Well, it was, (pause)…, actually it’s kind of one of those songs that could relate to just about anybody… Having a problem of emotional trauma.

CHAR: Oh, okay…

G.L.: Yeah, (pause), yeah…..that’s the answer.
CHAR: Laughing…

G.L.: Emotional trauma.

CHAR: Nothing has changed with you! (laughing) From day one in the old interviews I’ve ever watched you can work your way around an answer pretty good. (laughing)

G.L.: (laughing)…Well thankyou!…

CHAR: Some people think it’s about your guitars or a specific person but we’ll leave that for you.

G.L.: (quietly) I wrote it for my wife, I wrote it for Elizabeth.

CHAR: Okay, … well there ya go….that’s very sweet. And who was Jessie-Jo?
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Old 04-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #31
fkafl

Well, that settles it.....Thanks for the facts, Gitchigumee
fkafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #32
bjm7777

Well, that settles it.....Thanks for the facts, Gitchigumee
Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #33
Gitchigumee

welcome
Old 04-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #34
NestorGolova

Yep, my credibility is well and truly blown.....oh well.....

Now I wonder which guitar Gord is singing about in My Little Love.....Mmmmm.....!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #35
Paul (PJB)

Yep, my credibility is well and truly blown.....oh well.....

Now I wonder which guitar Gord is singing about in My Little Love.....Mmmmm.....!
Paul (PJB) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #36
bjm7777

It is amazing how we all have or thoughts about how and what he writes. True genius is that you can put pen to paper and it means so many things to so many people, and that we all care enough to get heady about it. It really makes you think. It is amazing what he does. Don Henley has that capability too, for me I should say
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #37
Fitzy

It is amazing how we all have or thoughts about how and what he writes. True genius is that you can put pen to paper and it means so many things to so many people, and that we all care enough to get heady about it. It really makes you think. It is amazing what he does. Don Henley has that capability too, for me I should say
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote