banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2005, 06:47 PM   #1
elmo d. ward

Always think about these two songs as we remember our war vets.

Dad was in a Halifax bomber at the ripe old age of 18 and my father-in-law was a Spitfire pilot -- BTW he was interviewed on Global TV today at 8:20AM.

Anyway -- God bless all of those who fought and died or survived -- and if I may quote Winston Churchill - "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

Anyone else think about these songs at this time of year?

Best to all,
elmo d. ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
musky_man

Always think about these two songs as we remember our war vets.

Dad was in a Halifax bomber at the ripe old age of 18 and my father-in-law was a Spitfire pilot -- BTW he was interviewed on Global TV today at 8:20AM.

Anyway -- God bless all of those who fought and died or survived -- and if I may quote Winston Churchill - "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few"

Anyone else think about these songs at this time of year?

Best to all,
Old 11-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Tyler

Today would have been my Father's 86th birthday. When I was little I thought it was great that they made a holiday for my Dad since he was a Vet.
Being female we didn't talk too much about war, but we did go 'rounds about Vietnam when I grew up.
I do think of Dad and Vets in general with Drink yer glasses empty and Home from the Forest. I have always envisioned Home being about a VN Vet not fitting in when he got back to "the world". No matter my thoughts on the Iraq war, I have all the pride and respect for our service men from all the wars/conflicts they truly are our heroes.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
brink

Today would have been my Father's 86th birthday. When I was little I thought it was great that they made a holiday for my Dad since he was a Vet.
Being female we didn't talk too much about war, but we did go 'rounds about Vietnam when I grew up.
I do think of Dad and Vets in general with Drink yer glasses empty and Home from the Forest. I have always envisioned Home being about a VN Vet not fitting in when he got back to "the world". No matter my thoughts on the Iraq war, I have all the pride and respect for our service men from all the wars/conflicts they truly are our heroes.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
New 12 String Mike

The Gord line that I always think about with the subject is the line from Don Quixtote:

"see the soldier with his gun who must be dead to be admired."

From a Vietnam era song, I always that was a bold statement. It certainly didn't fit with most opinions at that time with returning vets being called "baby killers," etc.

I've been a student of WW2 in the Pacific for a long time.

We cannot forget.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:20 AM   #6
sngwrtr525

Quote:
Originally posted by brink:
sngwrtr525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:20 AM   #7
Bupity

Quote:
Originally posted by brink:
Bupity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I lost three cousins in the Vietnam war. And one got three fingers blown off on his right hand. One uncle was shot in the leg. One other cousin lived through the war, but within a couple years of coming home, he drove his car behind a shopping center and shot himself in the head.
Needless to say, I would have been one of the protesters had I been old enough.
Old 11-13-2005, 02:43 PM   #9
musky_man

Sheryl,

It is ashame Vietnam vets have been viewed in such a negative context.

Many Americans probably don't know that 30,000 Canadians volunteered in the Vietnam war.

In any event, war sucks .. there is not other way to put it.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

It never fails that when someone asks a Lightfoot song related question like the one at the start of this thread things just deteriorate from there, LOL. One of my theories is that the political stuff must confuse many Lightfoot fans who first find this website and expect Lightfoot conversation. (This is not a complaint, mind you, just an observation.) Personally I don't care what anyone's well informed or ill informed worldviews are but when I take the time to cruise by here I'm looking for Lightfoot stuff.

But Like Bon Jovi says in his new song:

When the world gets in my face, I say…
Have a nice day
Have a nice day

Bill

But there's some comfort in the predictability,LOL
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote