banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW
Default Keswick Anyone ?

I don't know if this is late news but for anyone in the Keswick Theatre area the July 29th pre-sale started today for 12 hours. Sign up at Val's website and she'll send you the pre-sale code. Wednesday night in July - come on out folks !

http://gordonlightfoot.com/

Bill

Last edited by BILLW; 03-10-2009 at 01:48 PM.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
formerlylavender

Default Re: Keswick Anyone ?

Thanks for the heads up, Bill. I'll get right on it.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

sorry no cando this time but enjoy the Greek meal without us, Bill Lizanne and Lisa.

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 03-11-2009 at 09:19 AM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
sorry no cando this time but enjoy the Greek meal without us, Bill Lizanne and Lisa.

Thanks John,

We'll miss your company for sure.

Bill
Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
formerlylavender

Sorry you can't make it this time, John. We will miss you, your wife and mother-in-law and all the great Gord conversation.

Maybe next time...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
jbt1976

Thanks Bill, I'm in with FL. I'm looking forward to hopefully dining with you and Lizanne again, and I, too, am sorry that you can't make it John.
I can't wait.......

jbt
jbt1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
BILLW

Well looks like "we're having a party" as the song goes. And as always we'd love to meet any of you lurkers who might decide to take in the show.

Bill
Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
formerlylavender

Well, the show is a week away, and I'm SO looking forward to it. Jbt and I did a pre-concert night last night. As usual we didn't get to all the songs we wanted - there are just too many! Can't wait...
Old 07-25-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
curiousmoonbeam

Hi Everyone:

I've been lurking around for years! This site is fabulous - you all are such great fans! I was wondering if any of you are staying after the Keswick performance to meet GL. I've been a great fan for years and I would really like to finally get an autograph. I live in Southern NJ so my drive time is only an hour or less - I know many of you are coming from much further.

In 1978 I heard "The Last Time I saw Her" on the radio and found out it was GL - was real into the music for about 5 years and then life kind of took over. Then when the box set came out I became
reaquainted with the music and have been hooked ever since! I've been to about 7 or 8 concerts since then, about 5 at the Keswick.

This site is so great for info about GL. Here is where I learned of GL's illness, lots of laughs over the antics between John Fowles and Steve from Australia (I may have that wrong!) and tears over the passing of Brita. Here I heard about Barry Harvey and the super talented Red Shea's departure. Those bittersweet guitar notes in "Saturday Clothes" are just fantastic and it has become one of my favorite songs.

Thanks again to all of you great fans - Char, John, Florian and many others who take of your time to keep the rest of us up to date and to you other fans who make interesting comments and insights into the music.

Again, if anyone is staying after, please let me know!

CM
curiousmoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
formerlylavender

We may stay after on Wednesday night, but I can't say for sure. We've met Gord out in the "alley" several times now - it's awesome. One time he was seated at a table, and you had to wait in line. Most times, however, he just sort of hangs out and people encircle him.

Let me know what you'll be wearing, and if we stay, I'll look for you.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
BILLW

hey fl - I'm finally back from the beach, LOL. Let me know when the reservations are for and we'll see you there. My traditional shirt is getting a tad snug but I think it stll fits. Hope to see / meet some of you lurkers this time too.

Bill
Old 07-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
BILLW

thanks ! anyone planning on stopping by to say hello here goes: There will be a table of 5 with three nice young folks looking like they're taking their grandfather (and his young wife) out to see the man ! I am quiet and reserved and will have on a floral type tropical shirt with pineapples all over it. Please feel free to introduce yourself, we don't bite.

Bill
Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
curiousmoonbeam

You guys - thanks so much! I won't make the restaurant due to time constraints but I wish you all a wonderful meal. Formerlylavender, thanks so much for the offer. I will probably be wearing a red top, I have blonde hair and glasses and my seat is located in section BBB, center. If it doesn't work out, no problem. Thanks again!!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
formerlylavender

I'll be on the lookout for you, curiousmoonbeam. You have great seats - we'll be a few (several) rows back JJ center. That's too bad that you can't make the restaurant - the food is great.

Hope to see you Wednesday.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
Long River

I'm not sure I'll be waiting out back after the show. We've done it a few times but not last year. If you do stay to meet him and it's like it used to be, without him seated at a table, you can have your photo taken with him & speak to him. He is so nice & down to earth, rather soft spoken, friendly, smiling. What a guy! So I hope you get to meet him. Just be patient though. My experience is that about 1/2 hour after the show, Terry, Barry & Mike come out & mill about. Then about 1/2 hour later Gord & Rick come out.

One year, my father, who usually goes with us, got there early & parked behind the bank. After the concert, we all hung around & when it was time for the band to leave, Gord & Rick walk over to a car parked next to my dad's car, they get in & drive away. I just thought it was kind of funny, parked right there like they were at the concert, not in the concert. Not ushered out to a waiting limo with chauffeur to drive them off. There was a big tour bus, I suppose for the other guys.

Hope you all enjoy the concert tonight. I'm looking forward to it.
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #16
curiousmoonbeam

Formerlylavender and Long River - thanks so much for the responses! There may be "Big Rain Coming" tonight, so the "alley" may not be possible but I am so looking forward to the concert, even took a couple of days off work, and also looking forward to meeting you! What a neat story about the parked cars - they drive away just like regular people!! Let's all have a great time - even though I am usually by myself at the concerts and even though I am not very outgoing, I usually do a little hoot & hollar, especially at the beginning of the show!

Regards,
CM
Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
Long River

I really enjoyed tonight's concert at the Keswick. It usually takes 2-3 songs before he sounds really comfortable. Tonight, I think it took about 3-4 notes of the first song & he was sounding good. He sounded especially good on Restless. As always, the band was terrific.

I will leave it up to those on here who always do a great job listing sets & telling more about the concert. It was a great night, but way too short and no Canadian Railroad Triology. He didn't banter too much.

I hope that all of you who have concerts coming up enjoy them as much as I enjoyed this one.

Like to add - when he came out for the ovation & applause that followed, he seemed genuinely happy by the audiences reaction. That may sound like a given but just to see the big smile on his face, wonderful. The band was that way also, especially Terry.

Last edited by Long River; 07-30-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Long River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #18
curiousmoonbeam

I agree Long River - great concert and Terry was exceptional. I did get to finally meet Gord briefly thanks to formerlylavender, her husband and jbt! 30 minutes before I was to leave the house for the concert our electricity went off, making a bad hair day even worse, and then finally left the house during the thurnderstorm at 6pm. A drive that ususally takes an hour or less, even with traffic, took almost 1-1/2 hours. I barely made it before the start of the concert - but it all got better from there! I had to park a mile away and so immediately after the concert I ran to my car and pulled it around to the Keswick parking lot which had started to emply out. I ran back to the theater and luckily met formerlylavender, husband and jbt. Bill W and wife had just left but FL went back to get them to meet me! Thanks Bill for taking the time!! Without FL, et al, I would never have gotten to actually meet GL, if only for a moment. The four of us went over to the Keswick Tavern and without a bit of embarrassment FL's husband ordered me a water as I am a tea-toteler(sp?)! I can't thank them enough for taking me under their wings! We then proceeded to the back stage door area where about 15-20 people had gathered, of just about all age groups. We saw Rick Haynes and jbt introduced me to him! He was very friendly and very willing to chat - seems he's GL's driver. Later GL came out with security all around. He was very gracious, smiling and friendly and autographed my ticket. I did get one picture of GL standing with the fans. Security did not want us to stick around so I said my good-bye's to FL and jbt and started for home. The tractor trailer hauling GL's stuff blocked the street so I took what I thought was a detour and got lost! Finally got my bearings and was home at around 12:15. What a night from start to finish! Glad I took today off from work! Now about the concert! I thought GL's voice was very strong as compared to last year. He seemed genuinely into the music (as always) and although he was not real chatty he did acknowledge the weather with "Early Morning Rain" and "Rainy Day People". One of those he dedicated to the Keswick audience. I can't seem to get my act together to take a set list but the usual songs were sung -and of course the audience was particulary appreciative of IYCRMM. After the show the group came back for "Old Dan's Records" to "bounce us out of here" and then GL came out again for a final bow. Thanks to FL, her husband, jbt, Bill W and wife for adding to a really great night. I wish you all good spaces!!

CM
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
formerlylavender

As usual, we had a blast at the Keswick last night. Gord was in great form, and the band was spot on. I agree with curiousmoonbeam and long river that Gord's voice was strong although he struggled to hit the notes on some songs, and shook his head with frustration. There was very little banter, which disappointed me. I like to hear the bits and pieces about each song. He did say the bit about the guy who inspired Hangdog Hotel Room - I think someone else touched on that in another thread. He wore the suede jacket for the first set and the vest for the second. I thought he looked great - I like the long hair. Here's the setlist:

Triangle
Cotton Jenny
14K Gold
Never Too Close
APPT
Let It Ride
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Beautiful
Carefree Highway
Hangdog Hotel Room
Ribbon of Darkness/Sundown
The Watchman's Gone

Intermission

The Wreck
Alberta Bound
Don Q
If Children Had Wings
Waiting For You
Minstrel of the Dawn
If You Could Read My Mind
Baby Step Back
Restless
Early Morning Rain
Song For a Winter's Night
Encore: Old Dan's Records

Thanks to Billw and Lizanne for meeting us for dinner. We had a lovely meal with great conversation. Actually we had to hustle over to the theater in order to get seated in time. We took some pictures in front of the marquis, but I don't know if/when we'll get around to posting them. After the show we waited outside in the rain for Gord to come out and he did a brief meet/greet with the fans. It was great meeting you, curiousmoonbeam. It was our pleasure to hang out and get to know another Gord fan. I'm glad you got home safely.

Some notes of interest: Jbt and I were shushed a couple of times during the show, but it wouldn't be a Gord show if that didn't happen. Some Gord fans are beyond uptight. That's all I'll say about that. Secondly, my husband joined us for the show this time. His last Gord concert was in March, 1996. He really enjoyed the show - thought the band was great. He liked watching the interaction of Gord and the band and how everything sounded so "tight". Lastly I did overhear a couple discussing the "change" in Gord's voice, but most of the people seemed to know what to expect and appeared to be having a great time.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #20
BILLW

Yes I have to agree, "as usual", another great show at The Keswick is now in the memory books. It was great seeing the kids again and meeting Keith. Thanks to fl for chasing us down and bringing us back to meet CM - excellent timing and fl recorded a great time for the 40 yard dash. I only got a half day off today so I've got to head in by 1PM. I'm sure I'll get a lot done, LOL. More later.

Bill