banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2000, 10:39 PM   #1
wolfebay

Which of Gord's "boat songs" do you like
better? My pick is the "Castle". Wlth no disrespect to "The Wreck...", I am amazed at the way Gordon gave human emotions and thoughts to an inanimate object.(Isn't that
called something in English 1A?) "Oh, Lord",
she groans "I'm burnin, won't someone understand?" Also, the vivid imagery - "Like
a toy ship on a millpond, she burned all thru
the night - and slipped beneath the waves in the mornin'". Quite a poet, a picker, a painter passing through. What's your fav?
Old 03-25-2000, 10:39 PM   #2
wolfebay

Which of Gord's "boat songs" do you like
better? My pick is the "Castle". Wlth no disrespect to "The Wreck...", I am amazed at the way Gordon gave human emotions and thoughts to an inanimate object.(Isn't that
called something in English 1A?) "Oh, Lord",
she groans "I'm burnin, won't someone understand?" Also, the vivid imagery - "Like
a toy ship on a millpond, she burned all thru
the night - and slipped beneath the waves in the mornin'". Quite a poet, a picker, a painter passing through. What's your fav?
Old 03-26-2000, 05:43 PM   #3
Lightfoot678

"Yarnmouth" is great. But "Wreck" is still my favorite. "Wreck" still rips me open emotionally every time I hear it. But I agree about Gordon being a poet. We know him now mainly as a singer-songwriter. But I have a feeling that he will be remembered as a great poet in the years to come.

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2000, 07:27 PM   #4
DJL

Good question - EF or YC ?

Personnaly, I love them both, but for very different reasons.

EF - I love the way the rhythm makes you sway as though on a boat. In fact, the melody could be easily adapted for use with a happy theme. Slightly similar to 'Triangle'? EF is a factual account of events, except for perhaps -

"When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck saying
Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya
At seven PM a main hatchway caved in, he said
Fellas, it's been good to know ya"

A bit of poetic licence used there.

YC - Mainly poetry I guess, with some very imaginative lyrics. One of His best folksy songs in my opinion.

"Oh Lord, she groans, I'm burning!
Let someone understand
But her silent plea is wasted
In the playing of the band"

"Oh the Yarmouth Castle's moaning
She's crying like a child
You can hear her if you listen
Above the roar so wild"

All that said, I still can't choose between the two. Two very different songs on the same topic. Just two more examples of his great writing.

------------------
"some people join the party, and others say goodnight"
DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2000, 07:27 PM   #5
A Painter

Good question - EF or YC ?

Personnaly, I love them both, but for very different reasons.

EF - I love the way the rhythm makes you sway as though on a boat. In fact, the melody could be easily adapted for use with a happy theme. Slightly similar to 'Triangle'? EF is a factual account of events, except for perhaps -

"When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck saying
Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya
At seven PM a main hatchway caved in, he said
Fellas, it's been good to know ya"

A bit of poetic licence used there.

YC - Mainly poetry I guess, with some very imaginative lyrics. One of His best folksy songs in my opinion.

"Oh Lord, she groans, I'm burning!
Let someone understand
But her silent plea is wasted
In the playing of the band"

"Oh the Yarmouth Castle's moaning
She's crying like a child
You can hear her if you listen
Above the roar so wild"

All that said, I still can't choose between the two. Two very different songs on the same topic. Just two more examples of his great writing.

------------------
A Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 09:52 AM   #6
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

I love them both. In fact, I always like to tell people about Ballad Of Yarmouth Castle, because most people have never heard it. It was never recorded in the studio, and appears only on the live Sunday Concert album. I always say that it proves that Wreck isn't just a fluke - that Gordon Lightfoot can write a TRUE shipwreck song any time he pleases and it will be outstanding.

Like Wreck, YC is based on a true story. The YC shipwreck occurred 10 years before the EF, almost to the day (Nov 13/14, 1965 for YC; Nov 10, 1975 for EF). And both songs were inspired by magazine articles. The YC article was in the 11/26/65 issue of Look Magazine; the EF article in the 11/24/65 issue of Newsweek.

While the Newsweek article was just a short news summary of the event, the Look story was - in the style of that magazine - long, detailed and poignant. It is fascinating to see just what Gord took from each article, and how he wove each of them into ballads that rank among the best ever written. All the facts in the YC are true, including the amazing fact that the captain left the burning ship on a lifeboat, leaving the passengers still on board to die (about 1/4 of them died; the rest were rescued).

------------------
Valerie Magee
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 05:11 PM   #7
DJL

Some good information there Val.
I have seen lots of info about the EF, but information about the YC seems very hard to obtain. I would love to get my hands on copies of those magazine articles.

Oh, and I still can't decide which one I prefer, and I don't think I ever will.

------------------
DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 05:11 PM   #8
A Painter

Some good information there Val.
I have seen lots of info about the EF, but information about the YC seems very hard to obtain. I would love to get my hands on copies of those magazine articles.

Oh, and I still can't decide which one I prefer, and I don't think I ever will.

------------------
A Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 05:32 PM   #9
Florian

Hi 'A Painter',

Quite a while time ago, I've posted some information about the Yarmouth Castle:

You can find it here:
old topic about Yarmouth Castle
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 06:40 PM   #10
Jim

Honestly I don't feel you can compare the two songs. Gordon I feel gives the ship a voice, and personalityin YC. "Oh lord she groans I'm burning", "Is she crying for the ones who lie within her molten sides, or cryin for herself I'm a wonderin". Along with other referances to the ship talking or feeling.
In EF there are more referances to the thoughts and feelings of the crew. I love both songs very much, and can't say wich is better. Both songs have a definate folk influence, although it is more apparent in YC. Personally between these two songs I think you get two wonderful examples of just how gifted a poet, a songwriter, and a musician Gordon is. If anyone could write a shipwreck song it is Gordon.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 06:40 PM   #11
Paul J B

Honestly I don't feel you can compare the two songs. Gordon I feel gives the ship a voice, and personalityin YC. "Oh lord she groans I'm burning", "Is she crying for the ones who lie within her molten sides, or cryin for herself I'm a wonderin". Along with other referances to the ship talking or feeling.
In EF there are more referances to the thoughts and feelings of the crew. I love both songs very much, and can't say wich is better. Both songs have a definate folk influence, although it is more apparent in YC. Personally between these two songs I think you get two wonderful examples of just how gifted a poet, a songwriter, and a musician Gordon is. If anyone could write a shipwreck song it is Gordon.
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2000, 08:06 AM   #12
midnightmisty

If you're talking "boat songs" don't forget Christian Island. Siverheels tells him how she feels!!
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2000, 08:06 AM   #13
sandyo

If you're talking "boat songs" don't forget Christian Island. Siverheels tells him how she feels!!
sandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2000, 01:18 PM   #14
fezo

quote:Originally posted by sandyo:
Sandyo, you are so right.
Christian Island is a very different sort of 'boat song',unlike EF or YC, but nevertheless still one of the best. It is so very emotive, so full of atmophere that when we listen we could be right there on the deck, swiggin' that ol' 'whiskey of the Highlands' alongside him,
feeling the sun on our skins. It is a fabulous song. Nobody writes 'boat songs'quite like Gordon Lightfoot. Sheer magic. True genius.

fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2000, 01:18 PM   #15
Silver Heels

quote:Originally posted by sandyo:
Sandyo, you are so right.
Christian Island is a very different sort of 'boat song',unlike EF or YC, but nevertheless still one of the best. It is so very emotive, so full of atmophere that when we listen we could be right there on the deck, swiggin' that ol' 'whiskey of the Highlands' alongside him,
feeling the sun on our skins. It is a fabulous song. Nobody writes 'boat songs'quite like Gordon Lightfoot. Sheer magic. True genius.

Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2000, 01:58 PM   #16
Florian

Hi Sandjo & Silver Heels,

I agree on "Christian Island".

I've been always in awe about the line:
As I while away the time of day

The expression is so simple yet so imaginative. Everytime I hear the song I'm actually there sailing along in Gordon Lightfoot's boat. And I didn't shave either.

And speaking about boat songs, there's one more worth mentioning:

Canary Yellow Canoe

How do you like that?
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2000, 03:01 PM   #17
char

In my post about the Ontario education system i mentioned that my daughter was studying Yarmouth Castle and one of the things she had to do was list all of the PERSONIFICATION in the ballad. Quite a lengthy list. She also had to list the most vivid imagery. A great song to study for kids who enjoy literature and the written word at it's best.
Char
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2000, 07:02 PM   #18
jennybryce

Sandyo, Silver Heels and Florian,

I agree with all of you, Christian Island has been my favorite from Don Quixote for many many years, even though the entire CD is also one of my favorites. (I used to have it on 8-track many years ago, how many of you can remember those old things!!??) Christian Island has such a light, airy feeling, you can truly feel like you are riding the waves and feeling the sun and smelling the ocean breezes, just by singing along!

Canary Yellow Canoe is very different than many of GL's songs. I get the feeling he is just singing about how great it feels to be out on the water in his canoe, and he wants the world to know how happy he is. I have a canary yellow kayak that I take out on the lake in front of my house several times a week, where I paddle around and enjoy the wildlife and mountain breezes. After I heard Canary Yellow Canoe, I could really relate to how Gord feels just to get out into the boat and paddle around. On stressful days, I can't wait to haul the kayak down to the water and jump in, and as soon as I start to paddle out onto the lake, I leave all of my worries behind. You get such a different perspective of the world when you are floating just a few inches above the water and the craft is fully under your own power. Waterfowl and other animals seem less disturbed by me when I paddle around silently, rather than scaring them away with a motorboat. Each time I go out it is a new adventure. I took a friend out for the first time last week, and she was having such a great time she suddenly let out this loud "whoop!".

I get the feeling that is the same emotion that Gord is referring to in Canary Yellow Canoe!

Oh! I played my old 8-Track of DQ so many times that it wore out, and it was years before I was able to find the CD. When I did, it was like welcoming back an old friend, and we haven't been separated since!
jennybryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2000, 07:02 PM   #19
Anne

Sandyo, Silver Heels and Florian,

I agree with all of you, Christian Island has been my favorite from Don Quixote for many many years, even though the entire CD is also one of my favorites. (I used to have it on 8-track many years ago, how many of you can remember those old things!!??) Christian Island has such a light, airy feeling, you can truly feel like you are riding the waves and feeling the sun and smelling the ocean breezes, just by singing along!

Canary Yellow Canoe is very different than many of GL's songs. I get the feeling he is just singing about how great it feels to be out on the water in his canoe, and he wants the world to know how happy he is. I have a canary yellow kayak that I take out on the lake in front of my house several times a week, where I paddle around and enjoy the wildlife and mountain breezes. After I heard Canary Yellow Canoe, I could really relate to how Gord feels just to get out into the boat and paddle around. On stressful days, I can't wait to haul the kayak down to the water and jump in, and as soon as I start to paddle out onto the lake, I leave all of my worries behind. You get such a different perspective of the world when you are floating just a few inches above the water and the craft is fully under your own power. Waterfowl and other animals seem less disturbed by me when I paddle around silently, rather than scaring them away with a motorboat. Each time I go out it is a new adventure. I took a friend out for the first time last week, and she was having such a great time she suddenly let out this loud "whoop!".

I get the feeling that is the same emotion that Gord is referring to in Canary Yellow Canoe!

Oh! I played my old 8-Track of DQ so many times that it wore out, and it was years before I was able to find the CD. When I did, it was like welcoming back an old friend, and we haven't been separated since!
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2000, 10:07 AM   #20
BuddyP

I happen to like EF a little better, only for personal reasons. Both songs are tremendous. Wasn't Marie Christine a boat/ship also. I love that song too.
"Have you seen the lighthouse, oh save me if you can. If you do I promise you, I'll never sail again"...
BuddyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2000, 06:34 AM   #21
Wingdrops

Best boat songs should include "High and Dry" (the first version with the soprano background vocals is infinitely better, the second version has that annoying drum shot), "Triangle" and "Ghosts of Cape Horn."
You might even count the old schooner of "Restless" beneath a sky that's ironclad.

My current ranking of Gord's boat songs?

1. Christian Island (perfectly captures the essence of sailing, the rhythms and swells, the abandonment of earthly cares, the love and trust of the boat; it's even better than CrisCross "Sailing" which is also pretty good)
2. Yarmouth Castle (haunting)
3. (tie). Triangle (amusing and catchy)
3. (tie). High and Dry (catchy and amusing)
5. EdFitz (although the lyrics are great the song needs a bridge, just like the boat needs a main hatchway)
6. Restless (more train than boat)
7. Ghosts of CapeHorn (formulaic, albeit a great formula)
8. MarieChristine (unremarkable)
9. CanaryYellowCanoe (a throw-away that could have stayed that way)
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2000, 06:34 AM   #22
2Much2Lose

Best boat songs should include "High and Dry" (the first version with the soprano background vocals is infinitely better, the second version has that annoying drum shot), "Triangle" and "Ghosts of Cape Horn."
You might even count the old schooner of "Restless" beneath a sky that's ironclad.

My current ranking of Gord's boat songs?

1. Christian Island (perfectly captures the essence of sailing, the rhythms and swells, the abandonment of earthly cares, the love and trust of the boat; it's even better than CrisCross "Sailing" which is also pretty good)
2. Yarmouth Castle (haunting)
3. (tie). Triangle (amusing and catchy)
3. (tie). High and Dry (catchy and amusing)
5. EdFitz (although the lyrics are great the song needs a bridge, just like the boat needs a main hatchway)
6. Restless (more train than boat)
7. Ghosts of CapeHorn (formulaic, albeit a great formula)
8. MarieChristine (unremarkable)
9. CanaryYellowCanoe (a throw-away that could have stayed that way)
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2000, 02:18 PM   #23
Anne

What's brilliant about Fitz is that the song is compelling despite it's simplicity. The melody line and chords merely repeat throughout, without a chorus or bridge. In fact my son can play this song and he's only been playing guitar for two weeks! However each verse has different subtle arrangements going on in the background.

As for Christian Island, that's pure summer to my mind. You can close your eyes and feel the stresses leaving your body. As for Yarmouth, I can't judge - have just ordered the CD to find out!

------------------
Hi derry day in the month of May
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2000, 02:18 PM   #24
rainydayperson

What's brilliant about Fitz is that the song is compelling despite it's simplicity. The melody line and chords merely repeat throughout, without a chorus or bridge. In fact my son can play this song and he's only been playing guitar for two weeks! However each verse has different subtle arrangements going on in the background.

As for Christian Island, that's pure summer to my mind. You can close your eyes and feel the stresses leaving your body. As for Yarmouth, I can't judge - have just ordered the CD to find out!

------------------
Hi derry day in the month of May
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 12:18 PM   #25
bobo

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is remarkable because of the whole impression that it gives. Initially, if I were told that an artist was going to write a song about such a catastrophic event, and the brave people who make their living day in and day out in perilous situations, as Merchant Mariners do, I would dismiss it as trite. I would have considered the topic too sacred to be turned into pop music. However, somehow Gordon was able to write with his characteristic brilliance about the heroic efforts of everyday men working to support their families in an industry that is both rewarding and merciless. Anyone who has relied upon the fickle sea for their livelihood lives with that haunting tune in the recesses of their being, knowing that the sea is selective.

Gordon did a great honor to the those 29 men in writing the Wreck, and that honor is appreciated by so many.

Yarmouth Castle also tells a story well, but the focus of the Wreck on the individuals who died in service to the vessel that was their home and sustenance is truly compelling, at least to me.

"...All that remains
is the faces and the names
of the wives, and the sons and the daughters..."
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote