banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #76
fezo

Default Re: Keep me in mind

Yes, it's a good report and indeed I'm a bit less tired.

now if you went to the doctor and tehy found your hemoglobin with an 8.7 they'd probably zip you into the hospital and order a gazillion tests but for me it's a good sign that the rate of it dropping has slowed. It's a first step. Been waiting a long time for that!

Will of course keep you posted as this goes along.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #77
Peter Bro10

Fezo, as always, you're in my prayers.
Keep the faith!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #78
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezo View Post
Yes, it's a good report and indeed I'm a bit less tired.

now if you went to the doctor and tehy found your hemoglobin with an 8.7 they'd probably zip you into the hospital and order a gazillion tests but for me it's a good sign that the rate of it dropping has slowed. It's a first step. Been waiting a long time for that!

Will of course keep you posted as this goes along.
So glad to know
Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #79
jj

pleased to hear of the good report...hope the next one is great
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #80
ELizabeth

Fezo...as always I'm keeping my eye on you. Please rest and continue to improve. We got your back!
ELizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #81
fezo

Many thanks!

So here i am in uncharted territory and so far so good... I'm still tired but better than I've been.

Heck, today I earned being tired - was up last night to see what Letterman might do having former Governor Blagojevich on the show. He skewered him. What is the ex-gov thinking pleading his case with Letterman. He was better off with softball questioners. it was worth it to me for the laughs...
Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #82
RM

Quote:
was up last night to see what Letterman might do having former Governor Blagojevich on the show. He skewered him. What is the ex-gov thinking pleading his case with Letterman.
Give Blago a break.......2 Presidential cabinet appointees have withdrawn due to tax issues and our President is uttering "I screwed up". I appreciate the honesty, but would prefer wisdom. Power corrupts.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #83
fezo

Well, back for more blood. We'll see how this batch holds. Overall I still think it's turning here but we will see.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #84
Patti

Hi Fezo, I got my new blood type card in the mail just yesterday.
Hope things are going well. How is the music going with the 7 year olds?
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #85
fezo

I'd get much more done without the seven year olds but I'm much happier with them....

Lately I've taken to hanging by the computer with the guitar and playing along with whatever strikes my fancy on either the iTunes or fooling around with youtube. On the latter i found this great version of the old George Jones tune "That's All It Took." It's been covered a million times, probably most notably by Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris. On youtube they've got it with Ricky Skaggs and Elvis Costello. Sweet!

Too bad I don't have Internet during transfusions.... I make do with iPod and books though.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #86
Patti

I was wondering what kind of music your 7 year olds might be playing.
I went and saw that video with Ricky Skaggs and Elvis Costello. That is sweet. I have one Ricky Skaggs album here called Family & Friends. It's nice to be able to check out videos on the computer sometimes. I've never really tried hard enough to figure out the MP3 and iPod and things like that. They're so small, and when I first got one, I was too busy and the ol eyes were starting to change, but I think it may be possible for me to learn how to use those things soon. What a drag, having to get transfusions, but good you can listen to music, and read.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #87
fezo

The 7 year olds are being tricked by the Disney machine. They (especially Claire) sing the Hannah Montana theme song. So far they don't know dad put out a CD...

I have a couple neat Ricky Skaggs CDs with perfect country names - Don't Cheat in Our Home Town and Highways and Heartaches.

iPods are a ton easier than mp3s. I highly recommend them
Old 02-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #88
Patti

That's good that Claire likes to sing.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 AM   #89
fezo

Absolutely! I have to get her into a kids music class. She's definitely got it. It's kind of funny that of all the kids the one with the really serious musig gene (they all have some music gene) is the adopted one.

Got my two units today (one Philadelphia and one Omaha) today. Feel better. Capped taht with Willie Nelson and Asleep at the Wheel up in Red Bank. More on that tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #90
Patti

Quote:

Got my two units today (one Philadelphia and one Omaha) today. Feel better. Capped taht with Willie Nelson and Asleep at the Wheel up in Red Bank. More on that tomorrow.
Glad you are feeling better, and that you got to get out and enjoy some good music!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #91
Patti

Quote:
Absolutely! I have to get her into a kids music class. She's definitely got it. It's kind of funny that of all the kids the one with the really serious musig gene (they all have some music gene) is the adopted one.

Didn't mean to not mention Claire in my previous post. Had just been waiting to hear any news on the concert. I think that is great for you to encourage the kids in their music. Music classes can be good. Usually the teachers are into music themselves, so they like to see students that are interested in music. I think Claire might be excited to get to go to a music class. The regular classroom may not provide enough music instruction.

When you first mentioned 7 year olds, I thought they might be twins. That's interesting one is adopted. Did you get to raise her from a newborn?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #92
Patti

Just got a view of New Jersey from Regis. He was on the 103 floor of the Empire State building. lol I think I saw your house.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #93
fezo

Well, you'd have to overcome the curvature of the earth but...... I'm probably 90 miles southwest of the Empire State Building. Incredibly i have never been up it. My "tall building in New York" experience was going up the World Trade Center. Still spooks me when I think of that.

Ah! Another chance to talk about the "twins." We had decided to get a girl from China about a year and a half before it all happened. Wasn't a fertility thing. It was a 'those kids have a terrible time of it and you can't help the big picture much but can do everything for one kid" thing. Well, halfway through things Jen gets pregnant but we'd decided beforehand that if that happened we were still going through with it.

So Carrie was born September 21,2001. Believe me that was a weird time to be having a kid! We continue on things for Claire. In January 02 I have a series of ministrokes leading to a seizure. We pause and really started thinking this might not be a go. We tell the adoption agency we're slowing down but come May I get a call from the agency telling me she's looking at a picture of my daughter. I'm there "excuse me?" She had been away and never got the delay message. Says we can say no but in conversation says she was born on September 22, 2001. I know at that point that I'm going to go get her.

Jen was already in bed. i go up and tell her and first she's says we can't do it. Then i say "she was born on September 22 - I'm going." She was quickly on board.

The trip to China was at the end of June of 2002. At the time the girls were nine months old. Jen didn't see taking Carrie to China at 9 months so i took my oldest daughter, Jill. She was 13 at the time. On July 1 we arrive in Changsha, the capital of the Hunan province. They hand Claire off to us almost before I've put down my suitcase! Jen sends me an E-mail. Now we had named Claire before she was even conceived. i named her after my mother who just missed ever getting to meet her. The orphanage, where she had lived from the age of two days had given her the name Wei. We had checked on the meaning of that and when you look in a baby name book Claire means exactly the same thing! The Chinese speak of a red thread holding people together. If you are connected to another person by a red thread you will meet that person no matter how tangled the thread may get. We were obviously connected to Claire by that red thread.

It was tough early on because Carrie is such a laid back happy kid and Claire is very temperamental which we were warned first thing is a Hunan characteristic. They are often very opinionated and passionate. Mao was from Hunan. Carrie and Claire have become twins for all practical purposes. Best friends and worst enemies. More often friends.

I'll have to post a picture at one point.

Meanwhile, I'm tired but getting along. I imagine I'll have another blood trip on Wednesday. As long as i can keep it going which I'm sure I can.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #94
charlene

what a remarkable story! love it!

hope things go well on wednesday..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #95
luv4lightfoot

That really must have been a weird time to be having a kid. Especially since you lived so close by the world trade center and you had been way up there before. It was pretty freaky hearing about it way over in this part of the country.

Thanks for sharing the story about Claire. That's good you are all a family. I'd like to see a picture. That must have been a fun trip for Jill.

I want to encourage others here to give blood. I did in December, and can again soon, but I would like to help more if I can.
luv4lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #96
fezo

Oh, yes! Keep those blood donations coming!

It was so weird here in that time frame. The next county north of here lost more people on 9/11 than any other jurisdiction except the city of New York. For more than half a year there were multiple obits in the paper as folks waited to mark the many deaths. While i didn't do it you could go not far at all from here and see things smoking up there. A friend who lives up where i grew up (and may yet go back) was watching the event through binoculars from his deck. Yeah, it was insane. If you want some chills listen to Tom Paxton - http://www.tompaxton.com/audio/the_bravest.mp3

Will have to get a good picture going. Today, however, I'm working and then heading up about an hour and a half to go see Jonathan Edwards. Should be fun.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #97
luv4lightfoot

Hi Steve, I just found this web address on the back of my brother, Andy's guitar tuner. I thought you or Claire might like it.

http://www.cherub.cn/

Thanks for the link to that song. I listened to it.

Jonathan Edwards! Wow, hope you had fun there.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #98
fezo

Oh, cool. Thanks!

Jonathan Edwards puts on a great show! I had only seen him at all once before and it was in a bar that didn't do him justice at all. Tonight was an acoustic music outfit that holds concerts every couple of weeks. Good stuff. I saw Rodney Crowell there last month.

Anyway, Jonathan played with a trio of him, a really good mandolin player and Sturat Schulman who has been with him on and off for forty years. Great original stuff spanning that length of time and very interesting takes on others material. Fantastic harmony.

Funny thing - he used the old Lightfoot joke - "I'd like to introduce the band - Stuart, Taylor, Taylor, Stuart....

It's one in the AM. I need to sleep.

Joke tonight - His wife says come upstairs and make love to me. He replies "pick one. I don't think I can do both."
Old 02-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #99
fezo

Grrrr....

I'm back to square one. today's hemoglobin count was down at 6.9 - lowest it's ever been. Back in the hospital tomorrow...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #100
luv4lightfoot

Back in there for for 2 more units of blood, or do you have to stay in there for a longer time because of the hemoglobin count?