banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2000, 11:26 PM   #1
crashman

I love Kris Kristofferson. Always have. I believe I saw him in concert before or very near to the first time I saw Gord at Massey Hall.That was early 70's. (the senior moments have taken away so much!!even with the newspaper clippings!) His presence on stage was captivating - his lyrics and stories were mesmerizing and lord was he nice to look at.(I got great pics folks) Between Gord and Kris I was one happy girl! Kris & Rita Coolidge on stage was like an "adult" movie to a young, impressionable teenager! HOT, HOT, HOT! Gord had the voice, the coolness even when under the influence, but Kris was rarin to go - he was on fire! His "voice like a frog" made me love him more and when Gord did his Bobby Magee cover I must say I thought I had died and gone to heaven! When those two get together for a concert I will sell my first born to have front row seats!!! LOL
just my opinion - I may be wrong. Dennis Miller

Char
crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2000, 11:26 PM   #2
char

I love Kris Kristofferson. Always have. I believe I saw him in concert before or very near to the first time I saw Gord at Massey Hall.That was early 70's. (the senior moments have taken away so much!!even with the newspaper clippings!) His presence on stage was captivating - his lyrics and stories were mesmerizing and lord was he nice to look at.(I got great pics folks) Between Gord and Kris I was one happy girl! Kris & Rita Coolidge on stage was like an "adult" movie to a young, impressionable teenager! HOT, HOT, HOT! Gord had the voice, the coolness even when under the influence, but Kris was rarin to go - he was on fire! His "voice like a frog" made me love him more and when Gord did his Bobby Magee cover I must say I thought I had died and gone to heaven! When those two get together for a concert I will sell my first born to have front row seats!!! LOL

Char
char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 12:22 AM   #3
dill23

Char My Dear,

I've got a couple. First Noel Paul Stookey and Peter Yarrow. (Mary, too) But when they are on stage, it's electrifying. I have seen them reduce an audience to total tears, stop them breathing, make the roll in the aisles with laughter, and come up begging for more. Thirty-seven years they've been at it ans are still going strong as ever.

Secondly, I must say that the late Bob Gibson does it for me too. Never got to meet him, but he taught me how to play 12 string guitar back in 1964 with one album. Taught Gordon, too. Probably, 90% of 12 string players from that period. I do so miss his sweet voice and his gentle humor. He was a friend to everybody in folk music. His passing broke everyones' heart.
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 12:22 AM   #4
Rob Wells

Char My Dear,

I've got a couple. First Noel Paul Stookey and Peter Yarrow. (Mary, too) But when they are on stage, it's electrifying. I have seen them reduce an audience to total tears, stop them breathing, make the roll in the aisles with laughter, and come up begging for more. Thirty-seven years they've been at it ans are still going strong as ever.

Secondly, I must say that the late Bob Gibson does it for me too. Never got to meet him, but he taught me how to play 12 string guitar back in 1964 with one album. Taught Gordon, too. Probably, 90% of 12 string players from that period. I do so miss his sweet voice and his gentle humor. He was a friend to everybody in folk music. His passing broke everyones' heart.
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 09:08 AM   #5
Jenney

Garnet Rogers.six foot six,long blond ponytail and the voice of an angel.

James Kelaghan incredible singer/songwriter

Tanglefoot..five wild men with contagious song lyrics

John Gorka..America's best singer/songwriter.

All these acts play US, Canada and the Uk

They are worth every cent you pay to hear them.Haunting music for any soul in search of a place to rest.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 09:08 AM   #6
isabella

Garnet Rogers.six foot six,long blond ponytail and the voice of an angel.

James Kelaghan incredible singer/songwriter

Tanglefoot..five wild men with contagious song lyrics

John Gorka..America's best singer/songwriter.

All these acts play US, Canada and the Uk

They are worth every cent you pay to hear them.Haunting music for any soul in search of a place to rest.
isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 10:50 AM   #7
char

Rob my dearest, (LOL)
I have been reduced to tears at the majesty of Peter, Paul & Mary while watching them on T.V.! My husband refused to take me to a concert years ago because of it! He knows I cry when Gord sings Beautiful in concert and after 26 years seems to have survived. Way off this path is Jimmy Buffett - His shows are a real party. Beyond the commercial hits are some very beautiful stories and music too. Hal Ketchum writes some wonderful songs and is great to see live.
Bye my dearest,
Char
Old 04-27-2000, 02:58 PM   #8
Jacky

Dan Fogelberg!
He is a brilliant writer, singer and instrumentalist who cares deeply about a lot of things that have been on Gordīs agenda as well. Also, he personally thanks Gordon Lightfoot on his bestselling 1981 album "The Innocent Age" for being a major influence.
Dan is best-known for Late 70īs/Early 80īs FM classics like "Longer" or "Missing You" but has being releasing wonderful albums for
almost 30 years now.
Dan is originally from Illinois but spends his time in Colorado and Maine these days. He used to be a prominent back-up musician in the West Coast scene; well worth checking out if you like Lightfoot material. Unfortunately his former "major" label Epic/Columbia dropped him in 1994 but all of his CDīs are available through Amazon or such.
Jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 02:58 PM   #9
Christian Kuschel

Dan Fogelberg!
He is a brilliant writer, singer and instrumentalist who cares deeply about a lot of things that have been on Gordīs agenda as well. Also, he personally thanks Gordon Lightfoot on his bestselling 1981 album "The Innocent Age" for being a major influence.
Dan is best-known for Late 70īs/Early 80īs FM classics like "Longer" or "Missing You" but has being releasing wonderful albums for
almost 30 years now.
Dan is originally from Illinois but spends his time in Colorado and Maine these days. He used to be a prominent back-up musician in the West Coast scene; well worth checking out if you like Lightfoot material. Unfortunately his former "major" label Epic/Columbia dropped him in 1994 but all of his CDīs are available through Amazon or such.
Christian Kuschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 03:38 PM   #10
fezo

I saw Kris and Rita together at the Royal ALbert Hall in London, from the front row, and they were fantastic and much as I appreciate Kris and Dan Fogelberg and several others including Hal Ketchum, George Strait and Vince Gill to name but a few, they do not do for me what Gordon Lightfoot does for me. He remains supreme. As in the Tina Turner song: he's 'simply the best'

BYW, does anybody remember Russell Thornbury?
I always thought he sounded so like our Gord.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 03:38 PM   #11
Silver Heels

I saw Kris and Rita together at the Royal ALbert Hall in London, from the front row, and they were fantastic and much as I appreciate Kris and Dan Fogelberg and several others including Hal Ketchum, George Strait and Vince Gill to name but a few, they do not do for me what Gordon Lightfoot does for me. He remains supreme. As in the Tina Turner song: he's 'simply the best'

BYW, does anybody remember Russell Thornbury?
I always thought he sounded so like our Gord.
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 09:16 PM   #12
Jim

Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and James Taylor are a couple of wonderful singer/songwriters. I still think Gordon is alot better. there are other songwriter's that I don't think to many people would appreciate: Steve Harris, and Bruce Dickinson. They both were members of Iron Maiden. I know most people think that a heavy metal band can't tell a good story through music, but given a chance you'd find some surprisingly poetic lyrics in there songs. Bruce also has released a book of poetry he's written over the years that never got put to music. Just wanted to throw that out there.

------------------
"If people could look into each other's eyes
What a wonderful place this world would be"
GL
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 09:16 PM   #13
Paul J B

Crosby, Stills, and Nash, and James Taylor are a couple of wonderful singer/songwriters. I still think Gordon is alot better. there are other songwriter's that I don't think to many people would appreciate: Steve Harris, and Bruce Dickinson. They both were members of Iron Maiden. I know most people think that a heavy metal band can't tell a good story through music, but given a chance you'd find some surprisingly poetic lyrics in there songs. Bruce also has released a book of poetry he's written over the years that never got put to music. Just wanted to throw that out there.

------------------
"If people could look into each other's eyes
What a wonderful place this world would be"
GL
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 09:49 PM   #14
jennybryce

quote:Originally posted by char:

Char

Char, not sure if you will get this message in time, but the A&E network had a Biography of Kris Kristofferson on last night, (4/26). I only caught the last 20 minutes or so, but it looked great. I know you are in Canada, and I am not sure if this program airs in your area, but maybe you can pick it up sometime this week.

I have been a fan of Kris' over the years as well, what did you think of his part in the movie A Star is Born with Barbra Streisand?

I would love to see Kris and Gord together!

Anne

[This message has been edited by Anne (edited April 27, 2000).]
jennybryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 09:49 PM   #15
Anne

quote:Originally posted by char:

Char

Char, not sure if you will get this message in time, but the A&E network had a Biography of Kris Kristofferson on last night, (4/26). I only caught the last 20 minutes or so, but it looked great. I know you are in Canada, and I am not sure if this program airs in your area, but maybe you can pick it up sometime this week.

I have been a fan of Kris' over the years as well, what did you think of his part in the movie A Star is Born with Barbra Streisand?

I would love to see Kris and Gord together!

Anne

[This message has been edited by Anne (edited April 27, 2000).]
Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 11:04 PM   #16
char

I get A & E Boigraphy here and I saw and taped that one a few months ago. I saw it listed last night and it got me thinking about the great music of Kristofferson. I then wondered who else you folks like besides the obvious!!!!!!
I met Kris in the airport in Toronto 12 years ago. I was with my 4 year old son and 6 month old daughter, arriving from Connecticut back home to Toronto. My daughter was in a cart and my son was tagging along beside me. I turned to see where he was and out of the corner of my eye I saw a guy in black jeans, a black "The Hawk" t-shirt and his black jacket over his shoulder. He had no luggage though. His eyes at 40 paces were striking and he smiled at me. I turned to make sure I didn't drive my daughter into a wall and when I turned back to see where my son was again Kris had picked him up and was running to me. He was laughing and playing "airplane" with Darryl and set him down beside me, patted my daughter on the head and said something about travelling alone with two small kids is a lot of work. I became mute at that point and he stepped ahead and smiled at me as he headed to the area where the passengers get met by family etc. As he entered that area a murmur started and people completely forgot about their family and friends arriving. He smiled at one and all and went and stood by the curb, all alone. My husband was there and said "did you see who was ahead of you?" I then told him what happened. When we went outside to go to the parking lot Kris was still standing there looking around. We went over and asked him if he needed a lift! He seemed surprised that we would offer and said he was expecting a car to get him to take him up near King City (north of Toronto) because he was shooting a movie up there. I think Cheryl Ladd was in it. He said thanks anyway and we said okay, nice to meet you. He smiled and said thanks for the offer. I don't remember getting in the car or the ride home! He was captivating to listen to and look at - mesmerizing eyes and a smile that made you really happy. He was lookin good for a 51 year old guy that's lived the life he has.
Sorry for the long rememberance but I have to seize the memories them when they come in between the senior moments! LOL -
Char
I also saw Gord get on stage with Kris & Rita at Massey Hall and sing Bobby Magee way back in the 70's. I doubt any of them have any recollection of it though.
Bob Dylan is coming to Toronto this summer. I wonder if he'll head over to Gord's to play some more pool!
Char
Old 04-27-2000, 11:37 PM   #17
rainydayperson

Char...Have you seen the flick "Dance With Me"? It's a Kristofferson flick in which he portrays an aging, cynical dance instructor whose love for the sport is renewed through time and events which the movie depicts.

Does it for me? Here goes:

1. Mel Torme ("The Christmas Song?...one of the greatest pop songs ever written)

2. Joan Baez ("Diamonds and Rust")

3. Danny O'Keefe ("Goodtime Charlie")

4. Carole King ("Tapestry")

5. Marty Robbins ("Elpaso")

6. Bob Dylan ("Blood on the Tracks" one of the best albums of all time.

7. Warren Zevon ("Werewolves of London":cool

8. Hank Williams ("Your Cheatin' Heart")

9. Jimmy Buffet ("Changes in Latitudes")

10. John Prine ("Dear Abbie")

------------------
She was all dolled up like a rainbox trout...
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 11:37 PM   #18
classicmixdj

Char...Have you seen the flick "Dance With Me"? It's a Kristofferson flick in which he portrays an aging, cynical dance instructor whose love for the sport is renewed through time and events which the movie depicts.

Does it for me? Here goes:

1. Mel Torme ("The Christmas Song?...one of the greatest pop songs ever written)

2. Joan Baez ("Diamonds and Rust")

3. Danny O'Keefe ("Goodtime Charlie")

4. Carole King ("Tapestry")

5. Marty Robbins ("Elpaso")

6. Bob Dylan ("Blood on the Tracks" one of the best albums of all time.

7. Warren Zevon ("Werewolves of London":cool

8. Hank Williams ("Your Cheatin' Heart")

9. Jimmy Buffet ("Changes in Latitudes")

10. John Prine ("Dear Abbie")

------------------
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 11:44 PM   #19
rainydayperson

Oops...I forgot:

11. Jim Croce ("Time in a Bottle", Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown")

PS. Isnt' it wonderful how technology connects us together. Thank you FLorian for the sight.

------------------
Old 04-27-2000, 11:44 PM   #20
classicmixdj

Oops...I forgot:

11. Jim Croce ("Time in a Bottle", Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown")

PS. Isnt' it wonderful how technology connects us together. Thank you FLorian for the sight.

------------------
Old 04-27-2000, 11:48 PM   #21
rainydayperson

and the site!

------------------
Old 04-27-2000, 11:48 PM   #22
classicmixdj

and the site!

------------------
Old 04-27-2000, 11:59 PM   #23
dill23

You mention John Gorga. He was here in our little burg a couple of years ago and I got to meet him. What a great guy. Really regular. No pretenses at all. He told everybody how much fun he always has when he comes to Moab.

But the concert to end all concerts here was David Wilcox. If you haven't given Dave a listen, I suggest you do. Best story teller this side of Gord in my opinion. He blew the doors off the concert hall here. People are still talking about that concert. My best friend ran the sound that night and has a DAT tape of the concert which he guards with his very life. We gave it a listen last week to see if two years had taken the edge off. NO WAY!!!

Also, Moab is home to Cozy Sheridan. Here is somebody else that deserves a listen. She is magnificent. She is totally broad spectrum. Her funny songs are very original and include subjects from trying to retrieve the two week old banana from the back seat of the car while drive between gigs, to the delicate handling of the rigors of feminine yeast infections. Her serious stuff deals with subjects like sexual abuse to The Course In Miracles.

It only points up the fact that this little town, has more talent than is decent. It's turned into an artists community, where they all come to create and tour from here.

Come to my town and see what I'm talking about. www.moab.net It's not like you all haven't been here before, you just didn't know it.

Rob Wells
dill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2000, 11:59 PM   #24
Rob Wells

You mention John Gorga. He was here in our little burg a couple of years ago and I got to meet him. What a great guy. Really regular. No pretenses at all. He told everybody how much fun he always has when he comes to Moab.

But the concert to end all concerts here was David Wilcox. If you haven't given Dave a listen, I suggest you do. Best story teller this side of Gord in my opinion. He blew the doors off the concert hall here. People are still talking about that concert. My best friend ran the sound that night and has a DAT tape of the concert which he guards with his very life. We gave it a listen last week to see if two years had taken the edge off. NO WAY!!!

Also, Moab is home to Cozy Sheridan. Here is somebody else that deserves a listen. She is magnificent. She is totally broad spectrum. Her funny songs are very original and include subjects from trying to retrieve the two week old banana from the back seat of the car while drive between gigs, to the delicate handling of the rigors of feminine yeast infections. Her serious stuff deals with subjects like sexual abuse to The Course In Miracles.

It only points up the fact that this little town, has more talent than is decent. It's turned into an artists community, where they all come to create and tour from here.

Come to my town and see what I'm talking about. www.moab.net It's not like you all haven't been here before, you just didn't know it.

Rob Wells
Rob Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2000, 02:11 AM   #25
isabella

Dear Rob,

Checked out Moab.Wow.What beautiful country.I am originally from New Brunswick Canada.Check it out sometime. Where you have inland vistas, we have rugged coastlines and the songs of the sea.Anyone ever hear of Stan Roger?
I too met John Gorka and had coffee with him in Canso Nova Scotia at a festival.This literate man is so quiet that he he seeme almost shy until he took to the stae and dazzled us all.You have to love a man who doesnt believe his own press.
The sound bites available at www.garnetrogers .com will let you have a small taste of my favorite singer/songwriter.He has this one song called Phone Booth where an alcholic husband tries to talk his wife into taking him back.It contains the heart breaking lyrics of a man in despair when he asks

Does it not matter that I love you
Don't you love me anymore.
But she just listened to the static and said
I used to
But that was long ago
Don't call here anymore.

Get your Kleenex out.
isabella is offline   Reply With Quote