banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Jesse Joe

Default P.E.I. to mark 30th anniversary of Terry Fox run next year !

P.E.I to mark 30th anniversary of Terry Fox run next year

Published Friday October 16th, 2009

Brother Fred Fox says runner had lots of support in P.E.I. in 1980

BY WAYNE THIBODEAU
TRANSCONTINENTAL NEWS SERVICE

CHARLOTTETOWN - Terry Fox's three-day run across Prince Edward Island 29 years ago was a huge psychological boost for the runner, says Fred Fox, Terry's older brother.

In a diary entry, Terry Fox described his run on the Island as the most "beautiful day so far."
"There were lots of people out to cheer me on and support me. Incredible," Fox wrote from P.E.I. on May 26, 1980.

"I had another dizzy spell during the run. Still freezing, but I wasn't wearing sweats so people could see my leg. I'd run just over 28 miles."
Fred Fox read from his young brother's diary yesterday in Charlottetown as the Terry Fox Foundation, in partnership with Strait Crossing Bridge Limited, announced the return of the Terry Fox Run to the Confederation Bridge.

The run will be held on Sept. 19, 2010, in recognition of the 30th anniversary of the Marathon of Hope.
"Terry's dream continues," said Fred Fox.

Terry Fox was diagnosed with bone cancer in his right leg in 1977. He had that leg amputated six inches above the knee.
While in hospital, Terry was so overcome by the suffering of other cancer patients that he decided to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research.

He called his journey the Marathon of Hope.
Terry was forced to end his run on Sept. 1, 1980 when the cancer had spread to his lungs.

Michel Le Chasseur, general manager of the Confederation Bridge, said the bridge remains a magnet for runners interested in taking part in the Terry Fox Run from across Canada.
2010 will mark the second time the Confederation Bridge has hosted the Terry Fox Run. The event was last held in 2005 to commemorate the run's 25th anniversary, attracting 14,000 participants and raising $375,000 for cancer research.

It was recognized as the largest single Terry Fox Run in the history of the event for both participation and funds raised.
Organizers hope to surpass those numbers in 2010.

"We invite everyone to join us on the bridge on Sept. 19, 2010 to be a part of Terry's legacy of courage and determination, to celebrate the progress made in cancer research, and to help ensure that strides in the fight against cancer continue," said Le Chasseur.

To date, close to $500 million has been raised in Terry's name for cancer research through the Terry Fox Run.
It is held in 30 countries across four continents.

Funds raised in Terry's name have already generated tangible results:
research funded by his foundation has generated new imaging technology that makes the early diagnosis and treatment of cancer far less invasive and traumatic for patients, mortality rates for both women and men for many cancers have dropped significantly, and several cancers are now considered 'curable', including childhood leukemia, Hodgkin's disease and testicular cancer.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote