banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2008, 05:46 AM   #76
jj

Default Re: GL songs which reference, of all things, food! A new quizzer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Linda View Post
This one's a repeat (only the 2nd in 54 unique submissions)...
oh linda,
is there a consolidated list? (to more easily check for repeats)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #77
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
I think we missed one of the earlier ones. It comes from a song whose title is two synonyms. Can anyone find it?
DQ
But of course, Heir Dr. Quixote, is it perhaps...Indiana Cervantes ? No matter, vee have vaysof finding the answerd vee vant. OK enuff of the Indie Jones 4
parady: simply put:

DQ: Assuming of course you meant in other words that we missed a song that contained food or drink or related allowable sundries, and its from an earlier one - meaning of course an older but not obscure pre-UA or non domestic - which you wouod have made some refercne to , if I know you well enough by now...so it must be an earlier UA.

And - the song name must be a synonym of two words - I'll not define what everone knows for synonym in my "Do I understand your Clue DQ ?", but that gave me cause to think of the older UA songs, titles of 2 words, meaning essentially the same thing, and then, with a nearly immediately in mind for me: 8 hours of unconsciousness and falling off my chair lol...with no apparent time pasage...lol..apparantly the UNconscious mind can ruminate just as the SUB-conscious mind..... so with all these criteria in mind: I present 2 U:

FALSE START: wait a minute 'tseeer

So hear is my sort -of instantaneeous attempt to submit a food/drink/sundry phrase from a song to Linda, and to answer your helpful challenge at the same time, thanks DR. Quixote :

==================================
Submission to Linda for a food/drink: (that also aswers Professor DQ's "we missed one" early one at the same time

first - the whole shebang:
(Professor?)
Song:
Pussywillows, Cat-tails

NOTE: For the Professor's challenge:

Synonym qualifier in song name "PussyWillows ~ Cat-Tails"
(is there a diference? ) - IAE are synonyms IMO
Lyrics: with food, &/or drink submit highlighted:

Pussywillows,cat-tails,soft winds and roses
Rainpools in the woodland, water to my knees
Shivering, quivering, the warm breath of spring
Pussywillows, cat-tails, soft winds and roses
Catbirds and cornfields (?), daydreams together
Riding on the roadside, the dust gets in your eyes
Reveling, disheveling, the summer nights can bring

Slanted rays and colored days, stark blue horizons
Naked limbs and wheat bins, hazy afternoons
Voicing, rejoicing, the wine cups do bring

Harsh nights and candlelights, woodfires a-blazin'
Soft lips and fingertips resting in my soul
Treasuring, remembering, the promise of spring

Might tha' one be the sng yer' a lookin' for Dr. ? And, the tile is infact a synonym by me book, yours ?

Linda - the underlined lyrics that are more solid are underlined and in gold

than the rather weak in white.

OKayBOyz dazeet. Whaddya think ? Linda, Good Dr, ?

Last edited by geodeticman.5; 10-23-2008 at 06:12 AM.
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:39 AM   #78
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodeticman.5 View Post
Synonym qualifier in song name "PussyWillows ~ Cat-Tails"
(is there a diference? ) - IAE are synonyms IMO
hi stevgeo,
they're different, I've got ctails growing here but no pwillows

wherefore/why are the symilar
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #79
geodeticman.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
hi stevgeo,
they're different, I've got ctails growing here but no pwillows

wherefore/why are the symilar
-i' say you got it young man, why not submit it instead of wacking me in the face with your submission ? .........hehehe

No really thanks jj - still, why not submit your answer to the good professor + Linda instead of pro-tempe juding mine and using yours as an instrument of slapping knuckles lol....and render your own submission vague in the process ? lol I am only funnin ya, Ron-style....s'ok..

I'm feelin feisty 'cause of my stupid router AND Windows Vista..... all crashing 2night - and you logged off B4 I could re-boot all components and thwart your other real-time dig at me in Lyrics ? lol...... its your eyes lad , not a mic problem....lol

I C Yer point - are the pussywillows the little white thingees - like fuzzy white tylenol extra-stength capsules with white hair on 'em - those the pwhillos ? I know the cat-tails are the "look like a corn-dog roast on a stick" -except the corn-dog -hot-dog is ..FUZZY......spiney... and do they not commonly grown right around side-by-side - hence why I thought they were same thing ? Well at least my food submission from song should be OK ?

I know....lets let Linda answer the main submits - and The Professor DQ answer his side-bet Q ? How bout THEM apples YOU LILLY -LIV -oh YOU LOGGED BACK ON... HEY JJ ! I'm cool how U man ? Just saw your notes ! 'preciate being humbled and corrected while the (in this case) 2 *real* judges sleep ? lol..... j/k - I see where U ARE right with Wherefor Why.

Are there any other threads you can slap me around in while other sleep IN NORTH AMERICA ? LOL.... ? Everywhere I go to pay my respects to new threads 2-NITE you are in there saying I am wrong. - Including my/OUR thread - 'cept you've turned into a drive-by flamer a couple of nights now = starting with car 154 where are you ...lol...- you burn me - then while I post -to explain or correct you or myself - you LOG OUT ! lol............its cool jj ..just seein if you can take your own medicine.... I have to be nice in my own thread...lol..... well, I guess here too..... OUT OF RESPECT FOR LINDA AND THE PROFESSOR...AND,,,,,AND....MARIANNE ! wait ,, no thats Gilligain.....whatever.yeah huh....yeah heh ,,,,man... sheesh.... boy...

OK NEVER MIND DQ - I'll let my reply stand as food entry to Linda - I think jj has not usurped that lol.......though, I was close, eh DQ ?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #80
jj

Quote:
I am only funnin ya, Ron-style
no sweat, i've got pretty think skin...well, steve-style, plain fun whereas ron-style, downright nasty, lol

oh, i answered on the previous page...and you wheat and whine are acknowledged...i mean wine, oops

rm,
have a grand eve at the Fox...glad it was resurrected, Gord too
Old 10-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #81
charlene

Cat-tails or bullrushes as they are sometimes called..
and pussywillows..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT-TAIL.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2228   Click image for larger version

Name:	20071227_182506_pussywillow01.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	2229  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #82
Oh, Linda

Quote:
Pussywillows,cat-tails,soft winds and roses
Rainpools in the woodland, water to my knees
Shivering, quivering, the warm breath of spring
Catbirds and cornfields (?), daydreams together
Riding on the roadside, the dust gets in your eyes
Reveling, disheveling, the summer nights can bring

Slanted rays and colored days, stark blue horizons
Naked limbs and wheat bins, hazy afternoons
Voicing, rejoicing, the wine cups do bring

Harsh nights and candlelights, woodfires a-blazin'
Soft lips and fingertips resting in my soul
Treasuring, remembering, the promise of spring
Cornfields -yes (corn is a food, used in context of food)
Wheat - yes
Wine - of course!

Congratulations! Summary list coming shortly from my spreadsheet.
Oh, Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:37 PM   #83
Oh, Linda

Quick summary / stats / alphabetical listing of submssions:

The beverages are edging out the solid foods 30 to 27 for a total of 57 UNIQUE submissions, that is the food/beverage may have been repeated but referenced in a different song, or one song produced more than one food/beverage. There have been a total of 39 songs referenced to date!

Here are the submissions, sorted alphabetically:

ale
alehouse
apples
barbecue
beans
beer
blackberry wine (wine and a fruit!)
brew
cake
candy
candy apples
oats
hay (ok, is that really a food???)
candy cane
champaigne
chicken
coffee
cornfields
daily doubles
dinner
drink
drinks
eat
flagon
food
gin
gravy
home cooked meal
lobster
maple syrup
martinis
meals
meat
pie
pumpkin
rock lobsters
run
stew
suppertime
tea
tuna fish
wheat
whiskey
wine
wild strawberries

There might be a couple left out that didn't qualify...so if you don't see yours that's why. There were only a couple.

Wine is leading the pack with 8 mentions. "Generic" food labels such as meal, dinner, eat, etc. represent 7 (not sure these really should be counted, thoughts??). Beer/ale follows with 6 and fruits 4. The rest are spread out a bit between veggies, desserts, tea, coffe, cocktails, shellfish, champaigne, syrup, meat, and a sauce. Whew!

Meanwhile, 13 members have contributed responses with the top three being Jesse Joe with 17, RM with 15 and Geo Steve with 8.

We have many more to go, don't be shy!

Oh, just an FYI I'm heading out of the country tomorrow on vacation through Nov 4th, so I won't be able to check in but will catch up quickly when I return!

Last edited by Oh, Linda; 10-23-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #84
Don Quixote

Hi, Geo-Steve. Sorry to be late with a response; it's been an interesting 24 hours. I drove about 350 mi. last night to go to my aunt's funeral in PA (no laments; she lived to 91 and had a great, full life surrounded by loving family, and went very quickly), and just got back from the return trip.
Char et al. are correct: pussywillows and cattails are not synonymous, although this is one of my favorite songs and it did produce another impressive list for the food question. Cattails are reeds that grow in marshes and the like; pussywillows are large bushes that send out early fuzzy blossoms and are one of the first signs of spring, at least where I live.

The synonyms are "wherefore and why", and the food is "candy-cane delight", as noted by jj. Many people don't know that "wherefore" doesn't have anything to do with location, but is an older way of saying why (just like its answer, "therefore", or "because of which" doesn't refer to a place). Feel free to look it up if you don't believe me; many dictionaries list "wherefore and why" as one expression meaning "the cause and reason." The most famous use of the word "wherefore", of course, is in "Romeo and Juliet", and its misunderstanding has lead to erroneous and sometimes comical misinterpretations. Juliet doesn't say "Wherefore art thou, Romeo?" as if he were hiding somewhere and she couldn't find him. She says "Wherefore [that is, why?] art though Romeo?" with no comma, to ask why Romeo has to be who he is, and specifically why he has to come from the family to which he was born, since his family and Juliet's are mortal enemies.
The food topic has been lots of fun, and even though I've been too busy to do much playing I've been doing lots of lurking--nice work!
Best,
DQ

Last edited by Don Quixote; 10-24-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:53 AM   #85
Jesse Joe

Here is one GL song that would have a few food mentions... Just had to throw in here !!!!
Song: The General Store !

Well when I was just a baby boy, my happy heart would jump for joyWhen daddy'd take me to the general storeThere was everything that you could name, from carpet tacks to window panesAnd a lazy hound dog laying 'round the doorThere was garden hose and axe handles and bread boards and wax candlesAnd curtain rods and nets made out of twineThere was ink and onion and navy beans and tea and coffee, brown and greenAnd everything from silk to gingham spine Well one summer's day I chanced to spy, a cookie tin away up highUpon a shelf inside the general storeWell I started up to fetch the prize, when the wall it started to capsizeAnd tumble with a crash unto the floorThere was shoes and books and pots and pans and fine combs and garbage cansAnd broken jars all piled around my headThere was caps and boots and black molasses and young seeds for garden grassesAnd pies and cookies, cakes and loaves of bread Well then daddy grabbed me by the arm and took me back out to the farmI couldn't sit down for a week or moreBut the years have passed with no regrets and I know I never will forgetThat place we fondly called the general storeThere was thread and nutmeg, tins and powder, rat poison and clam chowderAnd garden tools a-littering the floorThere was cranberries and clocks and clippers and ringers, rakesAnd carpet slippers, and apple peelers you don't see no more In that great forgotten wonderland, I visited with my old manThe great and unforgettable general store

This is an unreleased song , dont know if it count or not, Oh Linda ? Your the judge ???????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 10-24-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:18 PM   #86
Oh, Linda

Perfect! I didn't know about this one, but it sure covers quite a bit of ground. In, for sure!

With this submission, desserts have swept their way into 2nd place, tied with beer/ales! * (Our poet must have a sweet tooth).

And The General Store is the #1 song contributing the most entries (11 in all). Triangle and Lazy Morning are tied for 2nd (4 apiece).

68 entries and counting . . .

*I'm counting the misc. foods (eat, drink, etc) but not for ranking order since there are simply too many....they'll beat out all the other more specific entries. Again, will keep counting in "general" category, though.

Last edited by Oh, Linda; 10-24-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #87
Oh, Linda

Hi everyone, I'll be back November 3rd. Happy hunting for edible lyrics!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #88
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joe View Post
Here is one GL song that would have a few food mentions... Just had to throw in here !!!!
Song: The General Store !
one word to describe your latest (and pennant clinching) entry, jessi:

incrEDIBLE !!!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #89
Jesse Joe

Thanks my man,

But did you check the lyrics carefully jj, I may have missed a few ???
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote