banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
niffer

Default Fellas, it's been good to know ya

Yesterday northeastern Wisconsin experienced a very nasty ice storm. We lost power at 5 AM, and I went down to the basement to check on the sump pump, which carries water collected from the back yard (of which there was a lot) and sends it away. But the pump needs electricity to run, and the reservoir was almost full. My husband and I spent all morning bailing the water by hand, and I kept checking the water level with my fingers.

At one point I told him "We're holding our own." And then I remembered that was the last radio message sent by the captain of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Fellas, it's been good to know ya

oh oh.... where does the love of god go? Time for a portable generator JP !

and here in Gordtown it is SNOWING - a lot! it was freezing rain and hail then ice pellets and now snow. This is unacceptable. I mean it.

We have had major snowfalls this late in April so it's not anything new but I hate it. It was 60 degrees 5 days ago...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
niffer

We are now the proud owners of a sump pump with a battery backup. And we are definitely thinking about adding a generator to the mix

And while I am here, I would like to make it clear that I was relaying a story about trying to keep my spirits up, and not in any way implying that my difficult day is remotely comparable to a tragedy in which 29 people lost their lives. Today I am very sore, but thankful for restored power and a community in which we can share our thoughts, especially as they relate to Gordon Lightfoot, even if just in a slightly ironic fashion.

We are having a similar weather day today, but fortunately no ice. You're right, Char, this is unacceptable, but eventually it will pass. I think.
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
charlene

The Jays are in Detroit where it is pouring rain off and on and 34F... they are playing and people are in the stands...
it has stopped snowing here and hopefully will melt post haste.

Glad to hear things are flowing again...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Luckly we didn't get snow like in Colorado which got snow a few days ago. I think some of Nebraska of KS might of gotten some as well.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote