banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #26
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone/Hawkeye:

"I can't understand why anyone would want to willingly go to a war."
"Would go with enthusiasm" and want to be there while it's happening?"

"It's crazy".
If it wasn't for people with crazy thinking like that, ol' Hawkeye would be wearing a turbin on his coconut.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:40 AM   #27
Peter Bro10

It is a regretable reality that in this world today, as has happened in the past, there exist an evil that must be stopped.

Those troops who put it all on the line in defense of out freedoms and way of life deserve out "support". Indeed, they earned it.

Kudos to Gord for showing up and being "one of us". not the "reclusive rock star" type.

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:10 PM   #28
Borderstone

The people who go to war voluntarily,I know have the best of intentions but a lot of the young men/women I saw at the Army office in Nov. 2002,looked like they had no idea they could actually be in a war.

I was trying to join too but I didn't think for 1 minute there'd be any wars again. I can only imagine how many of them did not return.

I can give credit,I suppose to the late Pat Tillaman of the Cardinals football team here,for giving it all up to go fight. ....but i guess I'll just never understand how one can "volunteer" for such a thing.

I support them in the sense that I hope as many can come home alive as possible. I just can't support war,I hate the whole idea of it and it's sad that in this day and age the world hasn't found better ways to deal with each-other!

The soldiers aren't thinking crazy Watchman,they're ultimatley left with no choice but to fight anyway.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #29
RM

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:

I can give credit,I suppose to the late Pat Tillaman of the Cardinals football team here,for giving it all up to go fight. ....but i guess I'll just never understand how one can "volunteer" for such a thing.
Borderstone,

Surely you would "volunteer" to engage in combat if your freedom to listen to Lightfoot was at stake. Paraphrasing Kristofferson : "Freedom is worth something, and it ain't free".
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:51 PM   #30
Borderstone

RMD,I could never shoot at another human being,for any reason. If they got me,well,that's all there is too it then.

The militaryt couldn't have taken me anyway,I have cataracts.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 PM   #31
RM

B'Stone,

I would be a horrible warrior, most likely running away while the rest of the platoon asks "Where's Meason ?, he has the map". It's just a matter of threshold, and everyone has their own.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:23 PM   #32
Borderstone

Picture Lou Costello (thinner) in the squad practice scene in "Buck Privates".

That'd be me!

"Get your chest out,throw out your chest!"

"I'm not through with it yet!!" :D
Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #33
charlene

Tom Cochrane-supports troops. says Lightfoot a great Canadian.
http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canad...97045-sun.html

Wed, November 1, 2006

Life is still a highway for Canadian rocker Tom Cochrane; a highway that has taken him all the way to Afghanistan to support our troops
By JOE WARMINGTON

The highway has taken him a lot of amazing places in this mad world but Tom Cochrane says he's never very far from our soldiers in Afghanistan.

"A lot of people care about them deeply," the Canadian rock legend said he has noticed from travelling coast to coast.

Now more than ever, he said, is the time to show it.

"We have to be pro troops," he said yesterday. "I support the guys and gals."

In fact his backing of the Canadian troops is as solid as has been his career. Tears form in his eyes as the singer of such hits as Life is a Highway speaks of the valour our Canadian soldiers are showing in Afghanistan.

"I have seen their faces," he said. "Courage is a very quiet thing."

The seven-time Juno winner saw lots of courage when he visited them in 2004. "They are so brave but they don't talk about it."

THINK OF OTHERS

They just serve and think about everybody else.

"I remember one officer coming up to me and saying, 'Mr. Cochrane we'd love you to join us for a BBQ,' " he said.

He thought he was there to bring them a little piece of home but all they could think about was making him feel at home.

Cochrane, 53, quickly understood finding a way to boost their morale was as important there as was their equipment.

A Tim Hortons coffee can take them home for a few minutes and so can a burger. With Cochrane fellow musicians Kevin Fox and Damnhait Doyle brought along their guitars with that in mind. Perhaps some music would lift the mood.

But when they got to the gathering, they found they were singing next to a memorial to two soldiers killed in action -- Sgt. Robert Short and Cpl. Robbie Beerenfenger.

REALITY OF WAR

It was a grim look at the reality of war. These people do die.

And the death hasn't stopped. In fact just as Cochrane was stepping foot back in Canada Cpl. Jamie Brendan Murphy was killed. "I will never forget it," said Cochrane of the experience. "There were a lot of tears rolling down cheeks."

This is why he paid tribute to these soldiers on his new album for Universal called No Stranger. The song Rough and Tumble is for all of them.

In it he sings "think about Brendan Murphy, how his dreams might have made him full, bet he didn't think it all might end on some dusty road near Kabul, kids like him they give me strength, get me outside my pride, least of all I forget about how, we all get scared sometimes."

It's a chilling song because it's so real.

Cochrane was around town promoting his CD when I accidentally bumped into him in the lobby of the Pantages Hotel. "I lost my poppy," he said, looking for another.

His dad, Tuck, was a World War II veteran and Tom always wears one at this time of year. But he remembers every day. I handed him mine. Proudly. Cochrane, who was born in Lynn Lake, Man. and grew up in Acton and Etobicoke, has been a great Canadian ambassador for a long time.

He tried to get to our Red Rally Friday to support the troops at Dundas Square Sept. 29 but was out of town. "I really wanted to be there and was so pleased that Gordon Lightfoot was. He's such a great Canadian."

Like Lightfoot, Cochrane is unwavering in his support for the men and women wearing our uniform. "Our troops are hanging in there for us -- and are connected to the Afghan civilians," said Cochrane. "We have a proud tradition of peacekeeping and helping. They are doing that."

But there is a price and 40 men and women have died in this mission. "It's a scary thing," he said. "You don't know when somebody's going to come at you (with an explosive)."

POLITICS

Cochrane understands the politics. "But we don't want to make it any harder for them," he said of why he doesn't join in with political war protests.

The soldiers' safety is what's paramount to him. Cochrane, who has a line in that tribute song which says, "count me in don't count me out," is of the same mindset I am. Once you are in, you are in all the way.

War is all about morale and the last thing you want to do is give morale to the enemy. "They are tough people," he said of the Taliban. "It's difficult to fight people who are prepared to die."

But that's what Canadians are faced with. And that's why Cochrane and other great Canadians like Don Cherry and Lightfoot have expressed their appreciation.

"I have always been impressed by their integrity and dignity," said Cochrane of the troops. "I just want them to come home safe."
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #34
Gitchigumee

War isn't the answer. They've been fighting for centuries over religious difference, and us going to war isn't going to change that. There is no right or wrong side to the issue any longer--just the means by which each side is trying to accomplish their goal. Obviously, there are evil people and evil leaders in the world. But where you may defeat one, another two will emerge. What makes me mad is the leaders in the USA who push for war for their own political reasons, thereby sacrificing innocent lives of young men and women who are brave enough to enlist.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #35
brink-

"I lost my poppy," he said, looking for another.

His dad, Tuck, was a World War II veteran and Tom always wears one at this time of year. But he remembers every day.

We used to have poppy's here in the US too. I remember them as a kid, I don't remember when they quit "selling" them. It was always a donation, never asking for money. That is too bad we have stopped that practice. Might be a good time to restart it.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #36
charlene

We started wearing poppies last week up here and most people will wear them for the whole month of November...not just Nov.11.

I wear mine with a small Canadian Flag in the centre....those pins hurt!

With Remembrance Day falling on a Saturday this year and so many of our armed forces overseas I'm sure there will be huge turnouts at all events held at Legions, churches, cenotaphs etc.

Schools will have veterans come and speak to the students during the services held the week before Nov.11.

Students go to the seniors homes and hospitals that have veterans.

Young cadets will march alongside veterans as they head to local cenotaphs for ceremonies.
These events are always very moving when you look around at those few who are left that made our freedoms possible, as they stand with the youth of our country who have learned of their sacrifices and friends who never came home.

[ November 01, 2006, 20:31: Message edited by: charlene ]
Old 11-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #37
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

I did not know that poppies were no longer exchanged for donations in the States
Certainly Gord was wearing one on Thursday 11 November 1999 at Massey

and in the UK a minute of silence reigns at the 11th hour
of the 11th day of the 11th month
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #38
charlene

The Poppy and The Royal Canadian Legion:

http://www.legion.ca/asp/docs/rempoppy/allabout_e.asp

the above link from a very informative site:

http://www.legion.ca/asp/docs/home/home_e.asp

We have a veterans parade, speeches, two minute silence and ceremonies from Ottawa are televised across the country.

The same activities happen in cities and small towns across the country. Traffic stops where possible and most people stop walking as well.

For the week prior to the 11th veterans and young cadets will stand outside mall entrances, street corners etc. and off er poppies. They are not 'sold'..a donation is requested. It is a good time to thank the veteran with a salute, handshake or even a hug.

It's quite something to watch a young teen walk up to a vet with his medals proudly displayed on his uniform, shake his hand and say thank you.
The smile of gratitude says it all....they know they haven't been forgotten...
Old 11-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #39
charlene

TT - the link I provided has a history of The Poppy.

Canada has 3 remaining vets from WW1...two live in Toronto at Sunnybrook Hospital which is home to many of our veterans.
WWI vet, 105, still singing
By BRIAN GRAY, TORONTO SUN
Veteran Dwight Wilson has a song in his heart when he's asked about the Great War.

One of only three living Canadian World War I vets, the 105-year-old lives in Sunnybrook hospital's Kilgour Wing, where he sometimes entertains staff and fellow residents with a song or two by the piano.

"I love to sing and I love the people who hear me sing," Wilson said in hushed tones before belting out the 1940s Broadway tune If I Loved You -- his favourite song.

Wilson's son said his father just felt he was doing his duty in 1915 when he enlisted at the age of 15.

"He didn't talk about it too much but he was proud of what he did for the country," Paul Wilson, 72, said.

One of his childhood memories is a German artillery shell that was used as a doorstop in his family's Queen St. and Coxwell Ave. home.

It turned out to be live, and Canadian munitions experts had to come and retrieve it, he said.

A long-time hockey lover and a fan of the Detroit Tigers, Wilson isn't right up to date on today's events.

But he's happy to be living with fellow WWI veteran Lloyd Clemett, who is 106.

"I like the atmosphere," Wilson said.

And Paul Wilson said his dad is doing very well for someone of his age -- even better since he moved into Sunnybrook in June.

Canada's other living WWI vet, 106-year-old John Babcock, lives in Spokane, Wash.

[ November 02, 2006, 13:52: Message edited by: charlene ]
Old 11-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #40
Gitchigumee

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:

Canada has 3 remaining vets from WW2...
Charlene, I think you meant to say WW1??
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #41
johnfowles

All his talk of veterans got me thinking, because hardly a month goes by without at least one obituary in my emailed Daily Telegraph for yet another 80+ year old Battle Of Britain survivor who has hung up his wings and passed away
So I googled to try to find how many are still actually still living:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/825656.stm
a report
Battle of Britain survivors gather
dated Sunday, 9 July, 2000, 20:59 GMT 21:59 UK
"Of the 2,927 RAF and Allied airmen who fought in the battle, just 1,592 survived WWII. Those alive today number just a few hundred."
A bit later is a report dated Mon. Feb. 24 2003 on the Canadian site
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...9691_41534539/
announcing plans for a monument to the airmen, among them 99 Canadians, who flew in the battle. and which says
"Between July 10 and Oct. 31, 1940, 2,953 men fought in the Battle of Britain, a historic aerial conflict in which 544 airmen, including 22 Canadians, lost their lives. Fewer than 200 members of those air crews are still alive today."
So at a guess the Few are down to 150 by now
a recent report on the 12 July 2005 dinner for "the Last of the Few " only says 12 attended

The Last of the Few celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the formation of Fighter Command
[Picture: Sgt Graham Spark]

I also found a spirited discussion on the merits or otherwise of Hollywood remakes of UK war films
see:-
http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/br...woods-few.html
The final posting says
"We all know the Americans did their bit, but it was their bit and not ours. Why can't they just hear the story as it happened ?!

Can we remake the battle of Iwo Jima with Brits, French, Poles, Russians, etc ?"!!!
I also found

WWII Battle of Britain 2 Submarine Spitfire Interceptor Aircraft fly over a burning London in 1940 See the Hawk 75
The Home Guard Firemen in Combat Helmets - what a great sheet of 8 Mint Topical Postage Stamps

See them all at WWIIStamps.com
Cool stamps from yes you guessed it:- http://store.coolstamps.com/endeavor/product/18763.html
and this account of seances involving Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding, head of Fighter Command in the Battle of Britain, is quite fun too
http://www.harvestfields.ca/ebook/02/033/15.htm
John

[ November 02, 2006, 11:59: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #42
Auburn Annie

Maybe it's a local thing but our VFW still offer poppies here in Central New York, assembled by disabled vets. The name comes from the poem:

In Flander's Field
by John McCrae

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow,
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly,
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the dead.
Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved and now we lie,
In Flanders Fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you, from failing hands, we throw,
The torch, be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us, who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow,
In Flanders Fields.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #43
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by Gitchigumee:
quote:Originally posted by charlene:

Canada has 3 remaining vets from WW2...
Charlene, I think you meant to say WW1?? [/QUOTE]yep - you're right! - should be WW1 typo mistake... my uncle is a WW2 vet....
Old 11-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #44
charlene

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
Maybe it's a local thing but our VFW still offer poppies here in Central New York, assembled by disabled vets. The name comes from the poem:

In Flander's Field
by John McCrae
[Quote}

The link I posted to the Legion site has the history of the poem by Lt.Col.John McCrae - A Canadian in WW1.

Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae

Lieutenant-Colonel McCrae was born on 30 November 1872 in Guelph, Ontario. At age 14, he joined the Highfield Cadet Corps and, three years later, enlisted in the Militia field battery. While attending the University of Toronto Medical School, he was a member of the Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada.

With Britain declaring war on Germany on 4 August 1914, Canada’s involvement was automatic. John McCrae was among the first wave of Canadians who enlisted to serve and he was appointed as brigade surgeon to the First Brigade of the Canadian Forces Artillery.

In April 1915, John McCrae was stationed near Ypres, Belgium, the area traditionally called Flanders. It was there, during the Second Battle of Ypres, that some of the fiercest fighting of the First World War occurred. Working from a dressing station on the banks of the Yser Canal, dressing hundreds
of wounded soldiers from wave after wave of relentless enemy attack, he observed how “we are weary in body and wearier in mind. The general impression in my mind is of a nightmare.”

In May, 1915, on the day following the death of fellow soldier Lt Alexis Helmer of Ottawa, John McCrae wrote his now famous work, an expression of his anguish over the loss of his friend and a reflection of his surroundings – wild Poppies growing amid simple wooden crosses marking makeshift graves. These 15 lines, written in 20 minutes, captured an exact description of the sights and sounds of the area around him.

Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae left Ypres with these memorable few lines scrawled on a scrap of paper. His words were a poem which started, “In Flanders fields the poppies blow…” Little did he know then that these 15 lines would become enshrined in the innermost thoughts and hearts of all soldiers who hear them. Through his words, the scarlet Poppy quickly became the symbol for soldiers who died in battle.

The poem was first published on 8 December 1915 in England, appearing in “Punch” magazine.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

John McCrae

His poem speaks of Flanders fields, but the subject is universal – the fear of the dead that they will be forgotten, that their death will have been in vain. Remembrance, as symbolized by the Poppy,
is our eternal answer which belies that fear.

Sadly, Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae died of pneumonia at Wimereux, France on 28 January 1918. He was 44 years old.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #45
charlene

[quote]Originally posted by charlene:
Quote:
Originally posted by Auburn Annie:

In Flander's Field
by John McCrae
[Quote}

The link I posted to the Legion site has the history of the poem by Lt.Col.John McCrae - A Canadian in WW1.

Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae

Lieutenant-Colonel McCrae was born on 30 November 1872 in Guelph, Ontario. At age 14, he joined the Highfield Cadet Corps and, three years later, enlisted in the Militia field battery. While attending the University of Toronto Medical School, he was a member of the Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada.

With Britain declaring war on Germany on 4 August 1914, Canada’s involvement was automatic. John McCrae was among the first wave of Canadians who enlisted to serve and he was appointed as brigade surgeon to the First Brigade of the Canadian Forces Artillery.

In April 1915, John McCrae was stationed near Ypres, Belgium, the area traditionally called Flanders. It was there, during the Second Battle of Ypres, that some of the fiercest fighting of the First World War occurred. Working from a dressing station on the banks of the Yser Canal, dressing hundreds
of wounded soldiers from wave after wave of relentless enemy attack, he observed how “we are weary in body and wearier in mind. The general impression in my mind is of a nightmare.”

In May, 1915, on the day following the death of fellow soldier Lt Alexis Helmer of Ottawa, John McCrae wrote his now famous work, an expression of his anguish over the loss of his friend and a reflection of his surroundings – wild Poppies growing amid simple wooden crosses marking makeshift graves. These 15 lines, written in 20 minutes, captured an exact description of the sights and sounds of the area around him.

Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae left Ypres with these memorable few lines scrawled on a scrap of paper. His words were a poem which started, “In Flanders fields the poppies blow…” Little did he know then that these 15 lines would become enshrined in the innermost thoughts and hearts of all soldiers who hear them. Through his words, the scarlet Poppy quickly became the symbol for soldiers who died in battle.

The poem was first published on 8 December 1915 in England, appearing in “Punch” magazine.

His poem speaks of Flanders fields, but the subject is universal – the fear of the dead that they will be forgotten, that their death will have been in vain. Remembrance, as symbolized by the Poppy,
is our eternal answer which belies that fear.

Sadly, Lieutenant-Colonel John McCrae died of pneumonia at Wimereux, France on 28 January 1918. He was 44 years old.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:08 AM   #46
Jesse Joe

Regarding recent articles outlining the costs of providing our troops Tim Hortons coffee and donuts in Afghanistan:

I think Tim Hortons is doing a wonderful service to our troops by setting up shop in Kandahar, giving them a taste from home.

Although I don't believe in capitalizing on war, I do believe that Tim Hortons should break even on its operating costs.

And as a taxpayer, I can't think of too many better ways to spend my tax dollars than to show our troops support (even if I don't necessarily support this particular war).

And if Tim Hortons wanted to have a "support our troops" day by donating all coffee proceeds for that day toward the cost of providing coffee to our troops, I will gladly support that too (hey, Nov. 11 may be a good day, huh?).

What our troops (and their families) are sacrificing is phenomenal, and remember that their sacrifice allows us to enjoy driving through our local Tim Hortons on the way to our daily grind.

Michelle Shannon,

Moncton

http://www.canadaeast.com/tt/opinion...rticleID=63284

[ November 05, 2006, 05:45: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:58 PM   #47
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by timetraveler:
I wonder if anyone has ever bothered to try & set their stories down before they're all gone & that part of history becomes just so much mythology to future generations?
Funny you should say that tt
The same thoughts went through my mind when, whilst researching for my posting I spotted this DVD that is now on my christmas wish list
http://www.amazon.com/Finest-Hour-Britain-Will-Lym...http://www.amazon.com/Finest-Hour-Britain-Will-Lym...
I had at the time just watched the wonderful MGM film of the Battle Of Britain

and I immediately thought that this PBS/BBC documentary that I have never seen would make a fine companion
Two of the reviews are spot on your ideas!!:-

"Simply said, Finest Hour is one of the best documentaries on the Battle of Britain. Combining impeccable narration, personal accounts, and stunning footage--some previously unseen--it exceeds even PBS's typically high standards. It is both a collection of personal stories--interspersed with inspiring and often touching reports from men and women who were there--and a tale of the behind-the-scenes relationship between Churchill and Roosevelt."
and another

"The film uses survivors..."ordinary blokes" as one will call himself, to tell the story of young men and women, thrust into a war that they themselves thought might be the end of the world as they knew it."
amazon offer buy both together for $34.98
My BOB copy was a bargain in our local supermarket a couple of years back at $4.99
Old 11-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #48
Auburn Annie

From the Toronto Sun:

November 7, 2006

Heeding the call to rally for our troops
By JOE WARMINGTON

I will be there.

At the Red Rally, Friday, in the beautiful city of Barrie, I mean.

I know hearing those four words meant so much when we were planning our Red Rally on Friday, Sept. 29.

There were people who simply said, "If it's for the troops, I will be there."

Chief Bill Blair was one. Police Association president Dave Wilson was another. They're not exactly pals, but there's something about the troops that unifies.

Mayor David Miller was there -- as was rival Jane Pitfield. They agree on little else.

Remembrance Day is Saturday. In Barrie this week it will also be on Friday. Every day is Remembrance Day while our troops are at war.

"They are a testimonial that democracy comes at a price and it is fitting that we pay tribute to them and support them in whatever way we can," OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino told me last night.

He is so right. With that in mind, Barrie, just minutes from CFB Borden, is hosting the Red Rally Friday at Memorial Square downtown.

It all started on Sept. 22 in Ottawa when Petawawa military wives Lisa Miller and Karen Boire with CFRA organized the first Friday Red Rally and challenged the rest of the country to follow suit. Toronto met the challenge, as did Calgary, Edmonton, Kitchener/Waterloo and lots of others. Towns like Holstein and Shelburne have started yellow ribbon campaigns and Orangeville dedicated a carving to the war heroes.

And now it's Barrie's turn.

'MASSIVE THING'

"So many people want to be involved," said Dave Carr, operations manager of Rock 95 and 107.5 KOOL FM. "It started small and has turned into this massive thing."

They are hoping the whole town will be out at noon Friday. "We want a sea of red and we are going to do a giant cheer to send over to the troops," he said.

They will see it. For our rally, the troops followed the coverage on both CFRB and AM640 -- beamed in through the Internet.

Barrie is still organizing their lineup, which will be hosted by radio personalities Deb James and Al Brown. So far I know Sean McTeague an -- OPP officer whose son Mike was injured in Afghanistan and is still recovering --will speak. Capt. Wayne Johnston also will be on hand, as will a whole host of speakers and entertainers. Those wanting to help can call 705-725-7304 or get more information on redfridays.ca.

These events make me so proud to be Canadian.

By the way, I received a lot of

e-mails about my Saturday column on Canadian celebrities becoming U.S. citizens, and want to say I have no major problem with it. They are not breaking any rules -- I was just pointing out the trend. But one thing that bugs me is a lot of these big name "Canadians" are pretty scarce here unless there are awards to collect. It would be nice to see a bunch of them show up in Barrie Friday, for example, just to say thank you to our troops.

CHASE OUR DREAMS

I mean, many have died to allow the rest of us to chase our dreams. Some of us do pretty well, too. Now this doesn't mean I don't like these stars and it doesn't mean I'm not a fan or proud of them. I am. Very much so. I just wish they would occasionally step out and do something without a pat on the back associated with it or a dollar bill.

Anybody else feel this way?

I learned a lot when we were organizing the Toronto rally. There were lots of invites to lots of names. Only one major celebrity made it. His name is Gordon Lightfoot. When the legend plays at Massey Hall later this month, I hope the crowd gives him a standing ovation for that as soon as he walks on stage. I mean a big one.

This guy, who has had his own health scare, knows about battling back. The troops saw him shivering in his red sweater, signing every autograph and showing just how great a Canadian he is. All Canadian. Some people have the Order of Canada. And some people deserve it.

Who knows, maybe some of the Canadian-Americans will show up in Barrie Friday. The troops are worth stepping out for. But with or without the famous, Barrie's rally will be a success and the men and women wearing our uniform in Afghanistan and other places will be impressed.

See you there.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #49
charlene

LOL - Just finished reading this in the paper as I took a break while the kiddies napped!
lol

And I bet dollars to doughnuts that if Lightfoot weren't on the road that day he'd be in Barrie...

He may show up at the Ottawa ceremony at the Parliament bldgs.for Remembrance Day....
Old 11-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #50
johnfowles

Talking of poppies,there is a very nice litle article in today's UK The Daily Telegraph

by their veteran correspondent,ex-editor (and ex golfing partner of Lady Thatcher's late husband Dennis,)Wiliam (Bill) Deedes. The article he has entitled
"In Afghan fields, the poppies blow"
and it is at:-
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...C-new_10112006