banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #26
podunklander

Default Re: Burton Cummings

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
well I'm just gonna have to contact my boyfriend and see about this!
Burton could have done a pre-recorded bit like Gord did . He was in town last week so it's possible he got it done while he was here..he's doing publicity for the CD so I imagine he's traveling around the country... or not..
maybe he's camped out in TO for a while....
lol
I know you meant to write that you have to contact "Pam's boyfriend"
Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 PM   #27
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
Check this out...typical Burton story. LOL

http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/videos.html?id=729460928
darn! No speakers for the PC here at the hotel!!! I'll have to wait until I get home next week!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #28
charlene

who is Pam's b.f.?
I'm talking about George Strombo who hosts "The Hour".. he's my boyfriend..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #29
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
who is Pam's b.f.?
Manny Rahairmess
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #30
Yuri

For those who can tune into the CBC, Burton Cummings is Char's boyfriend's guest tonight at 11:00 pm on 'The Hour'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummings-The Hour-11-12-08.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	2383  
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #31
Moosedog

Thankfully, I've got a good friend of mine who is going to make me a DVD of this interview! Burton's a hoot.....this oughta be entertaining. LOL

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #32
charlene

yep he's on the boyfriends show. it was taped back in mid november i believe..
I imagine he'll tell his best story every about Gord in the front row and Burton doing his little imitation...
I'm really enjoying the new CD and the DVD that came with it..
Old 12-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #33
Moosedog

Ahhhhhhhh, he told the Morrisson story again! LOL Burton gives a fantastic interview - what a cool guy.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #34
charlene

burton is a great story teller..he should write a book...
Old 12-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #35
Moosedog

He's working on it....a book of poetry.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:57 PM   #36
charlene

I'd like a book about his life told the way he speaks when being interviewed and the way he talks. A book of poetry would be nice but I don't think some of his adventures would work as poems..I'd even like the book as an audio book in his actual voice..
lol
Old 12-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #37
Moosedog

The book of poetry, like many of his songs on the recent CD, actually ARE about his life. I'm not fussy.....I'll take whatever he's willing to do for his fans. I'm just grateful he still loves what he is doing and is continuing to produce new work.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #38
podunklander

Quote:
The book of poetry, like many of his songs on the recent CD, actually ARE about his life. I'm not fussy.....I'll take whatever he's willing to do for his fans. I'm just grateful he still loves what he is doing and is continuing to produce new work.
Vickie, please let me know when his poetry is published! It's great that you're keeping up with Burton's work...I have a hard time keeping up with the latest on all these great, talented people.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #39
charlene

today's Toronto Star:
http://www.thestar.com/Entertainment/article/562163 (pic) aand (Comments)
INTERVIEW
TheStar.com | Entertainment | Hard living Burton Cummings still standing

Hard living Burton Cummings still standing

PHOTO - FRANK GUNN/THE CANADIAN PRESS
“There are some singers who don’t lose (their voice) and I would like to try to be one of those .....” says Cummings. (Oct. 6, 2008)

Randy Bachman's injury pushed the Guess Who front man to record first solo album in 18 years

Jan 06, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (2)
Ben Rayner
Pop Music Critic

It becomes obvious, as the hotel door swings open into a wall of tobacco smoke, that Burton Cummings has not held onto that famous rock 'n' roll howl all these years by cutting cigarettes out of his diet.

Or by cutting anything out of his diet, by the looks of things. Delighted that his inquisitor will join him and a managerial type in their next round of smokes – "Always good to meet another brother in the great fraternity of smokers," he crows – he settles his portly frame back behind a half-eaten burger-and-fries plate and divulges the secret health regimen that allowed a 60-year-old Burton Cummings to sound reassuringly, robustly like the Burton Cummings of yore while recording his latest album, Above the Ground.

"Good Canadian beer and good Canadian cigarettes, man," says the former Guess Who singer, who turned 61 on New Year's Eve. "Yeah, my health regimen: I eat junk food, I do all the wrong things for a singer. But I do use my voice a lot. When I'm at home, I'll pick up a guitar and sing songs or go to the piano and sing. I think your voice is like any other muscle: if you don't use it, it'll let you down. But if you use it all the time ...

"There are some singers who don't lose it, and I would like to try to be one of those for another 10 or 20 years maybe."

The voice is there, then. But Cummings realized just how long it had been since he'd provided the world with any evidence that he could still write a song when his songwriting foil of four decades, Randy Bachman, went down for a shoulder operation in November 2007 and begged off touring duties in their Bachman-Cummings nostalgia act for a few months.

Was he going to keep schlepping around, sans Bachman, doing "American Woman" and "No Sugar Tonight" every night? Or was he going to stop dithering and do something with the stacks of songs he'd accumulated since his last solo album, Plus Signs, was released in 1990?

"This window opened up, so rather than just touring and playing the old songs as Burton, I thought: `Here's my chance to make this new album I've been thinking about for a few years,'" he recalls. "And next thing I know – bang-o! – the studio was booked for Jan. 11, 2008, and the flights were booked for my band, the Carpet Frogs, to come down from Toronto to L.A. Once I heard officially that it was gonna happen, it was like a bit of weight was lifted off my shoulders."

Perhaps conscious of past mistakes made in the studio, for Above the Ground Cummings stuck to the bluesy, meat-and-potatoes rockers and wistful hippie-dippy ballads upon which his and the Guess Who's careers were built.

The Carpet Frogs, a versatile Toronto outfit that's served as Cummings' touring band for most of the 2000s, were crucial to maintaining the record's likeably straightforward, classic-rock feel, says Cummings, who wanted to avoid making a studio record that sounded "synthetic and machinistic," and go for something that sounded more organic this time around. Thus, he shot up to Toronto for a few days of prep work with the Frogs in a Brampton rehearsal studio before recording began.

"This a real band that plays live, that works live and we just took that into the studio and recorded it. The album wouldn't be what it is without the Carpet Frogs," he says. "We're very good friends. We've been working together for seven or eight years now. You can get the high-dollar, hotshot studio players to come in, and they play great and it's all good and they get their huge cheque and they leave. And the next afternoon, these guys wouldn't remember one thing about these songs that they've played on and you'll never see them again in your life. There's a detachment to it.

"I've worked that way before. When I first went solo we had all these hotshot players: Jim Keltner, Jim Gordon, Jeff Picaro and Scotty Edwards on bass and Ray Parker Jr. on guitar sometimes, Jim Horner on sax. I had my choice of the cream of the crop of L.A. studio players and, don't get me wrong, those were good records. But to have my own band and take that band feeling into the studio, it sounds like a `band' record."

Curiously, after 40 years in the business and armloads of gold records, Cummings also managed to notch a personal "first" with Above the Ground: it's the only record in his career written and produced entirely by Burton Cummings and Burton Cummings alone.

"This is the first time I've ever written all the songs myself without one co-writer on anything. When I looked at the back cover and saw `All songs by Burton Cummings,' I thought: `Aaaw, isn't that nice to see?' After 33 releases, that's the first one," he says.

"I was exhausted by the end of that, but I'm proud it and I'm pleased with it. There was no interference, no intervention from anybody. There was nobody telling me, `Do this, don't do that!' or `Don't do this, do that!' So I've really made the album I wanted to make."
Old 01-06-2009, 03:02 PM   #40
Moosedog

Update: Burton is currently working on quitting smoking. On December 25th, he had been two weeks tobacco-free. Go Burton!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #41
podunklander

Quote:
Update: Burton is currently working on quitting smoking. On December 25th, he had been two weeks tobacco-free. Go Burton!
WTG Burton woooHooooooooo. If he goes beyond 2 weeks...he'll beat my record for being tobacco-free. Good for him!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #42
Moosedog

Another great article! Love where he indicates he is still "fairly sane". LOL

http://www.stylemanitoba.com/burtonwin08.pdf
Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #43
charlene

Burton releases his new LIVE CD - recorded @ Massey Hall in 2010 and 2011.. I saw him in 2011 @ Massey and it was electric. He sings like he's 35, plays piano better than ever and makes an audience glad they were there. He's going to be 65 on New Years Eve..and still rockin like he always did..What an entertainer.

http://www.marilyn.ca/Video.aspx#clip791100 - video and performance

http://www.q107.com/Blogs/AkimboAblo...tryID=10455210 - radio and performance.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2295535229/ - on Q radio/CBC

http://player.q107.com/

Canadian tour dates - go see him! - http://www.examiner.com/article/burt...ada-tour-dates

LIVE CD - "Massey Hall"- Massey Hall: Amazon.ca: MusicMassey Hall: Amazon.ca: Music
It's Burtonpalooza in Toronto this week!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #44
charlene

Burton on CTV-their 40th anniversary shows were this past week. Lightfoot was interviewed at home earlier in the week. Link to that interview is another thread. This is Burton singing 3 tunes. Sounds like he's under 40... His new MASSEY HALL - recorded LIVE @ Massey is out now. http://canadaam.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1011549
Old 10-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #45
charlene

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/ma...ll/id571120988

contest - https://www.facebook.com/MusicVaultz
Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #46
charlene

Happy 65th Birthday to the one and only Burton Cummings!! If any of you get a chance to get to a Burton Cummings concert then get to it!!
lol
The voice, the songs, the musicianship - all are awesome....
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #47
Borderstone

A belated birthday wish from me as well.

Loved his solo hit "Stand Tall" ansd of course his hits with The Guess Who.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #48
charlene

Burton has a new website-he's collected EVERYTHING from his life/career and found all kinds of stuff after his mum died last year. She saved everything. He is prolific on his FB page and Twitter. It's astounding and outstanding that he shares all of it. : http://burtoncummings.com/
Old 05-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #49
Affair on Touhy Ave.

While we're on the topic of Burton hope you don't mind me posting this rarity by The Guess Who.

Don't know how big the song was in Canada. Doubt it did anything here.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #50
charlene

recent concert footage...BLC still rockin!!! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTgU...4-p3rVA/videos