banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
paskatefan

Default Any figure skating fans here?

Hi, there. Just wondering if there are any other avid figure skating fans here. My user name is "paskatefan," and we've followed the sport totally (Olympic eligible & pro since the 1988 Winter Olympics. We attend US competitions & shows (US National Championships will be in Boston the 1st week of January - in effect the Olympic trials for Sochi 2014). We also are very supportive of many Canadian skaters through the years (had the pleasure of meeting Brian Orser, Elvis Stojko, Kurt Browning, Jeff Buttle, Joannie Rochette, Jennifer Robinson, etc. at competitions & through the National tours of Stars on Ice). Particularly admire many Japanese figure skaters, too - the talent there is SO deep.
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Any figure skating fans here?

I've always been a fan of figure skating..since Toller Cranston changed it to the beautiful sport it now is...I am also a fan of his art and have a signed print and two plates made in Germany I believe that have Toller art on them. The scoring still leaves a lot to be desired but it is beautiful to watch.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #3
paskatefan

Default Re: Any figure skating fans here?

Oh, I hate the International Judging system, code of points, but I love the sport so much. The Calgary Winter Olympics is still my favorite winter Olympics (thanks to Gordeeva & Grinkov, the Battle of the Brians, Liz Manley & Midori Ito - my all time favorite ladies' figure skater). I am American, and like both Brians, but I was rooting most of all for Brian Orser (still my all time favorite Canadian men's skater). I was so impressed with him @ the 1984 Winter Olympics, and was thrilled that he was back for Calgary in 1988. My one regret is that we didn't follow the sport between 1984-1988 - I had NO idea of what rivalry was brewing between them, and I still consider the Calgary men's final the greatest night of men's figure skating, ever.My favorite World championships were 1996 in Edmonton when Todd Eldredge (my all time favorite men's skater) & Michelle Kwan won gold. Oh, we've also met Shawn Sawyer (@ Stars on Ice - he's amazing), Chris Mabee (@ 2005 Skate America), Bourne & Kraatz, Dubreuil & Lauzon, & Liz Manley @ another fs show. I've got such a soft spot for Kurt (great guy, wonderful personality, etc). It breaks my heart that he (& Todd) don't have Olympic medals of any color, but they have both gone on to have great, long pro careers.

One other thing I loved about Calgary - Gordon sang "Alberta Bound" in the opening ceremonies. A friend of ours was debating about whether or not to tell us that in advance. On one hand, he wanted to surprise us. OTOH, he wanted to serve notice so we could record the performance. He ended up telling us! I wish we still had the entire opening ceremonies (back then on video - I would convert it to DVD).

Last edited by paskatefan; 11-01-2013 at 05:35 AM.
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote