banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
Melissa

Default AUSTIN, TX Show last night - AWESOME!

What I really wish is that everyone who posts or reads here could have been at the Austin show last night - it was amazing!
I have a tendency to get very exuberant on this topic, so forgive me if I sound a bit over the top. But it's hard to describe how great the show was last night. I honestly think it was the best Gord concert I've been to in 10 years.
Yes, it was THAT good.
And NO, it's not just because I live here.

Now, first of all, we were coming off the San Antonio show, the night before. No offense to San Antonio (hey, I grew up there!) but the crowd was way too sedate for me. They opened up a bit in the second half, but they still were not all that into it, in my opinion. Gord's voice got stronger in the second half, too. But the sound wasn't good. It didn't fill the room. Gord's mic was not turned up enough. Overall, it just wasn't one of those shows that packed a punch.

BUT! If I had had any idea the treat I'd be in for the next night here in Austin, I would've been much more content.

Gord and the ensemble have played the Austin City Limits/Moody Theater 3 times now. As you can imagine, it's a great venue, since the ACL TV show is filmed there and those folks are well-equipped to handle every genre of music and every type of artist setup - from classical musicians to rap and everything in between. (thank goodness last night was in between......) So the equipment is first rate and so are the techs. And, before anyone asks the question.....No, last night's concert was not filmed and will not be an Austin City Limits broadcast. Although the venue is used for the TV show, it is more often used simply as a concert venue. But if there were ever a concert that should be filmed, it would be last night's!

As a concert goer, I can usually determine, in about the first 3 minutes, what the crowd is going to be like - how lively they are, how vocal they are, how familiar they are with Gord's music, how they're going to react to the lesser-known album cuts. Last night was a real treat because the people there were, clearly, BIG fans and knew Gord's catalog. One might think that because Austin is billed as the "Live Music Capitol of the World" and because so much of the music here is geared toward a much younger generation than mine, there wouldn't be a big audience here for Gord. That would be a serious misconception! Not only was the crowd wildly enthusiastic, a woman from the upper reaches of the upper balcony summed it up when she yelled, "Austin, Texas love you, Gordon!" Of course, Gord's response (after the applause died down) was "Thank you! We love the work!"

.....OK, I need to pause here and go take care of something - I'll return shortly with Part 2 in the next post.......Stay tuned!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Default Re: AUSTIN, TX Show last night - AWESOME!

If I were to go to any concert I'd just enjoy it without concerning how everyone else around me is.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
Melissa

Hmmmm. Well. OK. In response to the post above, I suppose I need to clarify - I don't just go to concerts to see if everyone else will enjoy the show. But after 90+ shows (which is a lot LESS than many folks here have been to), I've certainly come to recognize the difference the audience makes - not only on the overall feel of the show to the rest of the concert goers, but also on how the performers react. Gord and the band can certainly feel the vibe of the audience, and it can sometimes be a real boost to have an exuberant crowd.
What if you went to a football game and were the only one cheering? Wouldn't be all that much fun, would it?

Anyway, I was just trying to make a point that the awesome crowd last night really contributed to an awesome show. That's all.

Perhaps I'll just leave it at that. No need to go on with Part 2 of my earlier post. I've read some great concert reviews here over the years, and just thought I'd contribute one of my own.
Suffice it so say the show was great.

Melissa
Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 AM   #4
buzzard

Really enjoyed your post, Melissa.
Always pleasing to hear someone say they thought a Lightfoot concert was great. Especially someone who has been to so many of them.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #5
Melissa

Thanks, Brian!
I'm still reliving it in my head, remembering lots of really fun moments of Gord's banter and just feeling really lucky to have been there on such a great night. I'm thoroughly convinced now that the troubadour's got lots of good years left!

Melissa
Old 05-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Milissa, You are right, if the audience isn't into it the show suffers. I have seen it happen many times. Would have been nice to see your 2nd part, sorry someone put a damper on you.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
formerlylavender

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninCt. View Post
Would have been nice to see your 2nd part, sorry someone put a damper on you.
Agreed.

I totally get how the "buzz" of the audience can affect a show. I've been to some real duds too believe me. My favorite concerts are always the ones where my fellow concert goers are enthusiastic, enjoying the music and having fun! Concerts are supposed to be fun!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the show Melissa. Thanks for posting your review!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
LadyA

I agree that the crowd makes a difference! And I'm always happy for Gordon & the band when they're getting such warm feedback from the audience! I saw him in Fresno & it was a good appreciative audience and was one of the better GL concerts I've seen in the last few years!

Feel free to post your Part 2, if you want, because there a lot of people who are interested in reading about it!
LadyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #9
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
Hmmmm. Well. OK. In response to the post above, I suppose I need to clarify - I don't just go to concerts to see if everyone else will enjoy the show. But after 90+ shows (which is a lot LESS than many folks here have been to), I've certainly come to recognize the difference the audience makes - not only on the overall feel of the show to the rest of the concert goers, but also on how the performers react. Gord and the band can certainly feel the vibe of the audience, and it can sometimes be a real boost to have an exuberant crowd.
What if you went to a football game and were the only one cheering? Wouldn't be all that much fun, would it?

Anyway, I was just trying to make a point that the awesome crowd last night really contributed to an awesome show. That's all.

Perhaps I'll just leave it at that. No need to go on with Part 2 of my earlier post. I've read some great concert reviews here over the years, and just thought I'd contribute one of my own.
Suffice it so say the show was great.

Melissa
Just because someone posts a disagreement doesn't mean to have a serious problem with it. I could of been a real jerk about it but I was decent over my difference of opinion. I've seen worse elsewhere.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:35 PM   #10
lighthead2toe

Hi there Melissa.
What a great post you put up here and I certainly can relate to how your feelings manifest when it comes to the complete Lightfoot package. Lots of stars your way!
Hopefully you can carry that momentum with you to Toronto next month and join us up there on the McVeigh stage with with your melodious voice and unique guitar style.
It's gearing up to be another fun afternoon pub jam event.
More to come.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #11
paskatefan

How wonderful to hear that. I just love it when the audience is REALLY into it! Thanks a bunch!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #12
charlene

I'm waiting for Part 2 Melissa.. get posting!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #13
Melissa

You guys are great! Thanks for the reinforcement!
Gotta go run some errands but I promise I'll post Part 2 later.

And Ron, thanks so much, but I'm afraid we can't make the Massey trip. You'll just have to handle the "Over Me......." without me this time!

Later,
Melissa
Old 05-13-2018, 02:53 AM   #14
Melissa

OK.
Side 2.

One of the things that made last Tuesday's concert so great was the fact that Gord's voice was very strong. He had, obviously, gotten past his dilemma with the Flagstaff altitude, after having had a couple of days off before the San Antonio show and having gotten some rest. The elevation of Flagstaff is 6910', the elevation of Austin is 489' ----- and if you didn't already know what a difference that can make to a singer who has some respiratory issues, well, I can tell you, it certainly does! Many of you can attest to the fact that it sometimes takes Gord several songs into the first set before he finds his vocal strength. On this night, the voice was there by the second song. So, between the excellent sound system in the hall, the fact that Gord was singing up close to the mic and, also, the strength of his voice that night, I would've sworn that I was in a time machine and it was 10 years ago. Yep, his voice was THAT good!

Gord threw in a lot of his usual banter, along with a few things I'd never heard before. He's often offered up the line, "......this one is sorta like....Sweet Betsy from Pike...." when he's introducing "Waiting for You." But, on this night, in addition to saying that and singing the first part of Sweet Betsy, he then lit into a rap thing (hard to describe in words) and made a bit of a "shhhuuup, puh, puh, huumph, huumph......" sound, or something like that. It was a riot! (Gord was obviously feeling really good that night!)

He then started talking about how he worked at a summer resort when he was in high school, and was part of a floor show, singing and dancing. Then he started singing the opening number from that variety show - ".....Back again, back again, among the dear old friends we know....." He sang all 8 lines of that one! And that was a riot, too.

2 songs later, as he was about to start "Clouds of Loneliness," he paused a moment, and was reaching toward his mouth. Then he said, "did you ever get a hair in your mouth?" The audience roared. Then he said, "I think it's time for a haircut!"

A few tunes later, he sang "Beautiful." When he was done, he said, "......actually, there are 2 ways of relating to that song - think about what I say in the 3rd verse. If it's said between lovers, it's "and when you hold me tight." But when I'm talking to the audience, it's "and in the darkest night." So, for whatever you might be going through, it's really meant for the audience. Thank you for coming out." There was a big sigh in the audience and a collective, "Awwwww" followed by huge applause.

When Gord was introducing "The Wreck" he mentioned that it was up for a couple of Grammy Awards, but that he was "up against Barry Manilow, who won!" He then said, "I attended, and it was a fun event but I was glad I didn't have to go up there. I was still drinking at the time and, yeah, I'm real glad I didn't have to get up there!"

In the 2nd set, Gord introduced the band after singing "Sundown." He acknowledged that Rick had been with him since 1968 and Barry since 1976 (I thought Barry was there a little before that time, actually, but I may be thinking about the fact that he played on a few songs, on the album versions, before actually joining the band). He also mentioned that Rick's wife, Marilynn was in the audience (sitting next to us!) and that his wife, Kim, was there, too. I thought that was a nice gesture.

A few songs later, after "Rainy Day People" a lady yelled out "Cotton Jenny!" and Gord replied, "anything's possible!" Although they'd planned something else for the encore, they actually came out and did Cotton Jenny for the encore, and I thought that was such a nice thing to do - and, man, it sure made THAT lady's night!

As I've mentioned, the crowd was wildly enthusiastic all night, and I was amazed at how many songs received such response. The opening chords and lyrics of "Did She Mention," "Don Quixote," "Beautiful," "Watchman," "The Wreck," "Carefree," "Ribbon," "Sundown," "Minstrel," "Rainy," "IYCRMM" and "Early Morning Rain" all got thunderous applause and many got standing O's.

Here's the setlist:

Set 1
Guinevere
Did She Mention
Waiting for You
Never Too Close
Don Quixote
Clouds
Painter
Spanish Moss/Shadows
Beautiful
Watchman
The Wreck
Carefree

Set 2
Now & Then
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
I'd Rather Press On
14K Gold
Minstrel
Rainy Day
Let It Ride
IYCRMM
Restless
Baby Step Back
Early Morning Rain

Encore - Cotton Jenny

OK, my hands are tired! I think I've mentioned all the important stuff, but, believe me, there was a lot more. And, like I said before, I wish you all could have been here!

See you all down the path -
Melissa
Old 05-13-2018, 05:12 PM   #15
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

***One might think that because Austin is billed as the "Live Music Capitol of the World" and because so much of the music here is geared toward a much younger generation than mine, there wouldn't be a big audience here for Gord.
Melissa[/QUOTE]***

I guess Live Music Capital of the World depends on the criteria used. A recent study found Melbourne (Australia) to be the live music capital of the world:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-1...-shows/9643684

It says Melbourne (current population 4 million) has more live music venues per capita than any other city in the world. Melbourne had one venue per 9,503 residents, which is better than London (1 per 34,350), New York (1 per 18,554) and LA (1 per 19,607).
There was a 20 per cent increase in the number of gigs happening in Greater Melbourne between 2012 and 2017, while 55 per cent of venues said their audience had increased in the past year.
Melbourne live music venues have an audience of 112,000 each Saturday night, the equivalent of an Australian Football League grand final.
Attendance figures were higher for live music than the AFL, Spring Racing Carnival, A-League, and other sports combined.
Live music generated $1.4 billion in 2017, up 16 per cent from 2012.

I'm surprised to learn that, even today, one in 40 Melbourne residents spend Saturday night at live music. In the 1980s, when I was young and going to Melbourne's pubs about once a week, the live music scene was excellent. Today, the saddest thing is that so many of those music venues have changed to generic, boring, "safe", high-earning poker machine venues or apartment buildings. (Sigh ...)

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 05-13-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #16
charlene

Sounds like an epic night Melissa.
The next morning after hearing from Kim that he felt better when they got to lower elevation and a good night's sleep along with 2 nights off I figured he'd roar right back and sound great! (and a wee haircut is in order I think.!)
Thanks for the report - awesome as usual !!!
We will miss you and Denny at Massey!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #17
lighthead2toe

Hey Mel,
Another killer post there gal!
It's all about "The Way You Feel." You did a great job.
Sure will miss you guys at Massey. We'll be sure to send a tune out to you and Denny from the McVeigh stage.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote