banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2020, 11:49 AM   #26
charlene

Default Re: NEW BOOK!-ONCE UPON A RED EYE-Life on the road with Gordon Lightfoot-Richard Hari

FRIESEN BOOKS - publisher

Congratulations, Richard!

Your book, Once Upon a Red Eye, has been selected as a Staff Pick by a member of the FriesenPress publishing team!

For the next several months, Once Upon a Red Eye will be included as a featured title on the Bookstore’s Staff Picks section. Your listing now also features a permanent badge to notify your customers of your Staff Pick status. Be sure to share this big news on social media and tag us @friesenpress!

Thank you for choosing FriesenPress to help you share your story with the world.

FriesenPress
Suite 300 - 990 Fort St.
Victoria, BC V8V 3K2
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:29 AM   #27
paskatefan

Default Re: NEW BOOK!-ONCE UPON A RED EYE-Life on the road with Gordon Lightfoot-Richard Hari

^Way to go, Richard!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #28
Kelly Davis

I have the book on my bookshelf. Have not started it yet. I'm 'in a funk' lately with all the pandemic 'stay-at-home' crap. Then also waiting to find out my re-scheduled concert date for Champaign, IL (which was also a re-schedule from Gord's leg injury last year).

Also have had 'Solo' album for probably a week and have not even opened it yet!!! I am a big Gord fan, believe it or not!!! (25 concerts / met him 22 times!!)

Not liking 2020 so far.
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 02:26 AM   #29
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

My brother recently dropped by. He returned to me my copy of the Jennings Bio... Having it handy, I went and re-read that book, and was rather dismayed when I got to the end-credits not to see Richard Harison mentioned anywhere. WHAT, how does one write a comprehensive biography, and not talk to Richard in the process? Was Gord's long serving road manager that unimportant? (Or maybe Richard refused to talk to him? Or was the technical side of Gord's live performances not considered important for the context of that book? BB-Class Road.)
Old 04-23-2020, 12:39 PM   #30
charlene

Hi Andy - Richard saw your post and was touched by it - He sent me this to post:
''I was never contacted or interviewed by Jennings. Indeed, Bruce Good was very disappointed
that I was not mentioned. (Read his back cover endorsement) Liona Boyd was also puzzled.

It reminded me of what happened during the taping of PBS Soundstage when the band was being interviewed and someone chimed in that "if you really want to know what is going on, you should be talking to Richard and
Charlie...not us!"

Thanks, Andy.

Ironically, his link to "BB Class Road" was performed by the Byrds! Small world!!
Old 04-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #31
charlene

FROM MY LATEST PHONE CHAT WITH GORDON: http://corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=29014 CW – Did you read Richard Harison’s book, “Once Upon A Red Eye” ??
GL – I was going to say, Yes I am! And it’s so good!! I really LOVE it! I’m on Page 100.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #32
Andy T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Hi Andy - Richard saw your post and was touched by it - He sent me this to post:
''I was never contacted or interviewed by Jennings.....
Thanks Char for passing that on!

Now, I threw in a specific Easter-Egg above, not sure if anyone got it. A link to a song that I only know of, because I'm a Gene Parsons fan and it was on a Gene Parsons compilation that I own. I think it came around a little bit after Richard left the Byrds, but still... it was a Byrds song that Gene helped write and sang, "B B Class Road", which was a reaction to another bandmember disrespecting the road crew, so they wrote a song that talked about the lives of the roadies... "...this song is dedicated to all the Road Managers who are worth a dang..."

Last edited by Andy T.; 04-27-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Andy T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #33
charlene

Richard had this in his message... I added it to the original post I made:

''Ironically, his link to "BB Class Road" was performed by the Byrds! Small world!!''
Old 05-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #34
charlene

more from Richard -
"BB Class Road" came out in 1971. Although primarily working for Gordon at that time, I was still moonlighting with the Byrds
in the summers of 1971 and 1972 when Gordon went on his canoe expeditions in the summer. In 1973 they broke up for good.
So you could say I never left them. They just left. I spent that summer playing lead guitar with the Good Brothers.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:22 AM   #35
Andy T.

Awesome, thanks for the additional commentary. I knew that the peeps behind mikes and behind the scenes when "B.B Class Road" was produced, were likely the same people that Richard worked with back then.

Now, tying this back to Gordon. How do I even know this song exists? Well I'm not a big fan of the Byrds. So what gives? Well in the mid to late 80s lots of record collections got dumped on thrift stores. I shopped Goodwill and Salivation Army back then. I'm pretty sure I bought Gene Parsons' album "Kindling" at Goodwill for 60 cents. Why did I buy it? First of all, it had a gatefold album cover and inside was only an image, no text. The image made a point (a poorly deforested area with lots of tree stumps, with a portable TV sitting on a tree stump displaying an image of a living forest) that I appreciated the irony of. I then looked at the album credits... I saw some names I recognized, Russ Titelman and Lee Hershberg. I knew those names from reading GL album credits, and I figured I should give a chance to anyone who those names were attached to. I liked the album, quite a bit. Years later I looked online to see if I could get it on CD. Turns out Sierra Records had re-issued it as The Kindling Collection, on a gold CD of all things, along with bonus tracks of all the songs that Gene had done in the years just prior to and after his solo record. That included B. B. Class Road, with a liner note from Gene telling how that song came to be.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #36
charlene

FROM RICHARD - "Sorry to hear you are not a Byrds fan. That being said, I know you will acknowledge their trendsetting importance.
When McGuinn, Crosby, and Gene Clark went to see "A Hard Day's Night," that sealed the deal.
As renowned music critic, Ralph Gleason put it:
"The Beatles brought melody back to popular music, and the Byrds gave it intelligence."
For example: "The Bells of Rhymney" and "Turn! Turn! Turn!" Folk-Rock was born.
Not long after...Roger, Gene & Chris got into the semitonal music of saxophonist John Coltrane, while David was into Ravi Shankar.
The result was "Eight Miles High." Acid/Psychedelic Rock was born--long before Jefferson Airplane.
On their album, "Sweetheart of the Rodeo," Country Rock was Born.--long before Eagles.
One cannot deny the trendsetting of the Byrds!
Old 05-09-2020, 02:42 AM   #37
Andy T.

Dang, I never meant it to come off that way. I never DISLIKED the Byrds! I just never got into them. But except some songs from the Gene Parsons/Clarence White era of the band, I never knew them beyond the tracks played on the radio. Those were fine enough that I would listen to them. But never strong enough that I actively sought out anything beyond them. I am not a 'hater' of the band by any means, and Richards' apt description of the various incarnations the band had are quite right, to the point where it's hard to categorize the band! I tend to lean towards liking "earthy" music, more like bluegrass and country rock, which is why my fandom of the Eagles ends when Bernie Leadon left. As for the Byrds, I simply never got into them, if I had I probably would be a fan. It's not like I don't have rare musical tastes, I am a huge fan of the late 60/early 70s psychedelic/progressive UK band Kaleidoscope/Farifield Parlour, and vocalist Nicky James (Mike Nicholls) from that era, both of which are nearly unknown in the USA.
Old 05-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #38
Kelly Davis

Just finished 'Once Upon A Red Eye'.

Enjoyed every page. It would be wonderful if Gordon would sit down and finally pen his own memoir. He told me once, after I asked him about it, "You get to the point where it just doesn't matter anymore." I think he will eventually do it, though.

We do learn more about Gordon in this book. Even though Gordon didn't write it, we learn so many small details about Gordon's life. Someone else will always remember/recall things about you that you don't even remember.

Excellent book, Richard!!!!!!!
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #39
charlene

Capture by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 06-26-2020, 04:23 PM   #40
charlene

5star by char Westbrook, on Flickr