banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2018, 01:25 AM   #1
T.G.

Default A Happy 80th to Gordon Lightfoot-CD news and Birthday Concert in Orillia

Let me be the first to break that there is new stuff coming. For the first time since his life-saving surgery in 2002, Lightfoot has written new material.

“I have,” he said with a coy grin. “I have about 14 new songs written and I think the new album will be out in about a year ... It’s going to be philosophical but kind of funny and positive too,” he said. “It will be my 21st original album and I am very proud of that since I wasn’t sure I still had one in me.”

-----

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...h-show-of-2018

Living legend Gordon Lightfoot marks 80th birthday playing 80th show of 2018
Joe Warmington

So how is Gordon Lightfoot spending his 80th birthday?

Up on stage and with his fans of course — 3,000 strong Friday night in Oshawa.

“I can’t think of any better way to celebrate,” he said Friday in his dressing room at the Tribute Communities Centre. “It’s perfect.”

It will be extra special Saturday night at the Opera House in Orillia where the legendary singer/songwriter will bring in number 80 where it all began.

“It sure brings back a lot of memories,” he said.

His beloved wife Kim said there is no question “it will be very emotional for him — as was this whole year of shows.”

Lightfoot says this whole weekend — Thursday in Hamilton, Friday in Oshawa, Saturday in Orillia and Sunday at the National Art’s Centre in Ottawa — has been as fun a Canadian experience as this Canadian icon could ever ask for.

He works hard at it too. He gets to the venue every day at 1 p.m., tunes his guitars for an hour before getting up on stage for sound check with his bandmates.

“We want it to sound right and we want to make sure the audience is entertained,” he said.

Sunday’s show will also mark the 80th show of 2018 — his own little statement that somebody turning 80 can tour as well as the youngsters.

“I started doing this in 1965. I feel very blessed to be still doing it (but) it is true I almost didn’t make to 80 a few times,” he said with a laugh.

One time he almost got hit by a truck on a movie set. Other times were close calls on the highway.

And there was the 2002 health crisis in which he had an abdominal aortic aneurysm that landed him in emergency with headlines suggesting he was at “death’s door.”

They were wrong. The worst example was in 2010 when it was reported he had died.

Lightfoot was sitting in the dental chair and heard in the background on AM 640 legendary radio host Charles Adler expressing his sorrow on the news being widely reported.

“The first thing I thought of was to call (Charles) and tell him I was still alive,” Lightfoot said with a chuckle.

I remember that day all too well — tracking him down for a photo out front of the Toronto Sun.

“I remember, I was checking to see if I had a pulse,” he said. “At the time it seemed strange but now it seems funny.”

But he doesn’t take any day for granted.

“I made it through and I came back,” he said. “I have met many people who have been through health scares and I always tell them to keep fighting.”

One thing for sure whether it’s The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald, If You Could Read My Mind, Early Morning Rain, Sundown, Carefree Highway Sundown or any of the other classic hits, Lightfoot’s material will live on forever.

And at 80 he is still performing to sold out audiences of people from little kids all the way up to 100.

He has no plans to retire either.

“We are going out on tour in the spring again,” he said.

But that’s not the biggest news of the day for life suffering fans hoping for new material. Let me be the first to break that there is new stuff coming. For the first time since his life-saving surgery in 2002, Lightfoot has written new material.

“I have,” he said with a coy grin. “I have about 14 new songs written and I think the new album will be out in about a year.”

While fans can’t wait to hear new material, they wonder what is Lightfoot going to write about?

“It’s going to be philosophical but kind of funny and positive too,” he said. “It will be my 21st original album and I am very proud of that since I wasn’t sure I still had one in me.”

Turns out the present at Gordon Lightfoot’s 80th birthday is for his fans.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:33 AM   #2
Borderstone

Default A Happy 80th to Gordon Lightfoot

When it's midnight on the east coast ,
on the morning of November seventeen.
Our minstrel of the dawn will be sleepin' ,
but later will be wakin' up, to celebrate the many years he's seen..

... and as he goes about the day , we wish him sunny skies.
A day of fun and to rest , from all of us Corfid gals and guys.
As it unfolds , he surely knows , it's a day he wont want to end,
with memories to treasure , with all his family and friends

He's always shared his many gifts, of his words set to tunes,
we've unwrapped them happily, for all these many moons.
A gift from us we'll give today . we'll all hail our hero,
"Thank you for the prose and all the shows, here on your eight zero."

Happy 80th Gordon.

Enjoy the day and I know it's been said before
but let me try a different way ......thanks for sharing with us. : )
Old 11-17-2018, 01:41 AM   #3
Borderstone

Default Re: Huge News -- New Lightfoot Album on Tap!

That's great news and a good article.

I knew a songwriter and singer like him couldn't be kept outof the studio.

One thing .... in the article, the writer says the new album would be his first since 2002.

Did he forget about Harmony in 2004?
Old 11-17-2018, 02:53 AM   #4
Melissa

Well, I think the writer WAS referring to the Harmony album. Even though it came out in 2004, the songs were all written before his 2002 illness so, in effect, there has been no new material since 2002.

Of course, we DID get "Plans of My Own" a little while back.

Meanwhile, it's great to know there's a new album in the works. Here it is, Gord's birthday, and WE'RE the ones getting a present! And isn't that just like Gord? To have a birthday and give US a present.........thanks, Gord!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:39 AM   #5
paskatefan

What wonderful news! Thanks, Gordon!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
paskatefan

Default Re: A Happy 80th to Gordon Lightfoot

Lovely! Do we sing it to the tune of "The Pony Man?"

Gail
Old 11-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
Meanwhile, it's great to know there's a new album in the works. Here it is, Gord's birthday, and WE'RE the ones getting a present! And isn't that just like Gord? To have a birthday and give US a present.........thanks, Gord!
I thought that, too. I had pretty well given up on a new album given his comments in recent years. But I think his missus provided a new impetus ...
Old 11-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #8
talbot10

Happy Birthday Gord. Thanks for all the years of great music!
Old 11-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #9
imported_Ordinary_Man

Happy 80th Gordie!!!
imported_Ordinary_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:04 PM   #10
Rob1956

Anyone know if the 80th show on the 80th birthday was filmed? If no, what a loss!
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
charlene

https://torontosun.com/opinion/lette...ditor-nov-17-2
Happy 80th birthday today to Canada’s legendary, iconic singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot! Since the early ’70s I have been an avid fan of his songs of love, heartache, the beauty of Canada, and the social issues of the day. His concerts at Massey Hall are pilgrimages for fans from around the world. “The Church of Gord,” as I call it, is his musical home. The seats become pews as we listen to every word, every note he plays, and his bandmates as well. They are the epitome of perfection in their delivery of Lightfoot music. On stage with Lightfoot, they are one cohesive unit that brings the audience to their feet several times per show with not only applause but a palpable love and heartfelt respect. A Lightfoot fan ranges in age from young grandchildren of older fans to every age in between. At 80 years of age, you would think he would stop touring and take it easy after more than 50 years on the road. But he’s out touring for the fans, to satisfy the fans who want to see and hear those songs again, and the crowds show up wherever he goes. We show up to be in the presence of one of the greatest singer-songwriters of the last 50 years. In my mind, he is the greatest and I want to wish him many more years of good health, safe travels and love. Happy 80th, dear Gordon, you know I’ll tag along.

Charlene Westbrook
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Nicely put Charlene, and I think all of his fans on your site, and the others agree 100%. Thanks for having this site and very well done also.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:22 AM   #13
paskatefan

Beautifully said, Char!

Gail
Old 11-20-2018, 09:43 AM   #14
charlene

I attended the epic 80th birthday concert in Orillia on the 17th..more to come! photos and the WHOLE show on video!
Old 11-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
charlene

Default Re: A Happy 80th to Gordon Lightfoot-CD news and Birthday Concert in Orillia

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...2TEToEpAHVnFeo

TORONTO SUN - V.Henry photos

lightfoot-3 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

lightfoot-2 by char Westbrook, on Flickr

lightfoot-1-e1542418822382 by char Westbrook, on Flickr
Old 11-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
T.G.

Default Re: A Happy 80th to Gordon Lightfoot-CD news and Birthday Concert in Orillia

I put together this little birthday tribute in the form of some vintage photographs and my cover version of his 1968 song, Did She Mention My Name:

Old 11-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #17
lighthead2toe

Hey Char,

You stabbed my heart and lumped my throat with that tribute.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:21 AM   #18
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G. View Post
I put together this little birthday tribute in the form of some vintage photographs and my cover version of his 1968 song, Did She Mention My Name:

Gordon Lightfoot - An 80th Birthday Tribute - YouTube
Very nice personal tribute there TG. Well thought out.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #19
charlene

Wonderful video and cover T.G. - What an amazing life he's had... thanks!!
Old 11-21-2018, 03:52 PM   #20
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Wonderful video and cover T.G. - What an amazing life he's had... thanks!!
Indeed he has ... and you've been there for a good chunk of it. But there's more to come! We have a whole new album of original material coming up, hopefully within a year. I run into Bob Doidge sometimes and I'll find out if he'll be recording it at Grant Avenue studio in Hamilton again.

I got to wish Gordon a happy 80th the day before in Oshawa with famous Toronto restaurateur and long-time friend of Gordon, George Bigliardi.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #21
T.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthead2toe View Post
Very nice personal tribute there TG. Well thought out.
Thanks, Ron. Hope there are more to come!
Old 11-21-2018, 11:21 PM   #22
charlene

Nice photo! I was in Oshawa, had M&G passes but Gordon was pooped out after a large crowd went in first..his son Fred had a bunch of friends and family apparently.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:57 PM   #23
charlene

https://www.simcoe.com/community-sto...songs-stories/
Expect to encounter gaggles of Gord-loving listeners during the Nov. 16-18 Orillia Lightfoot Days event, a musical celebration of a hometown troubadour.

“His fans just love him,” said organizer Maggie Best.

The weekend launches on the Friday with an open mic night at the Orillia campus of Georgian College, in The Den, from 5 until 8 p.m.

“Hopefully there are going to be some special guests coming and talking about Gord, telling stories and (singing) songs,” Best said.

Alleycats Music welcomes fans of the singular singer/songwriter the following morning (Nov. 17) for a daylong marathon of Lightfoot-focused music, reminiscences and anecdotes.

Visitors to the store between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. are invited to contribute during an event dubbed "Eighty Stories and Songs About Gordon Lightfoot."

“Anybody can come on stage and talk about what Gordon means to them, and wish him happy birthday,” said owner Mike Rothwell, adding the event will be live-streamed on the record shop’s Facebook page.

Those who are musically inclined can perform a tune, while others may pursue less orthodox avenues to demonstrate appreciation for the legendary octogenarian.

“I don’t think there will be too much Gordon Lightfoot interpretive dance, but you never know,” joked Rothwell, who as a youth growing up in Kitchener learned of Lightfoot’s connection to Orillia while listening to his music on the radio during family trips.

“Orillia, for me, was this place a long way away,” he recalled. “People will have all their different takes on it.”

On Sunday, Steve Eyers, John Stinson and Eric Kidd perform tunes from the Lightfoot catalogue during an appearance at Lake Country Grill from 2 to 5 p.m.

The weekend celebration coincides with a Nov. 17 performance by Lightfoot himself at the Orillia Opera House, on his 80th birthday.

Proceeds from the sold-out show will go to support the downtown theatre and the hospital.

Frank Matys
by Frank Matys
Frank Matys is a reporter for Orillia Today. You can reach him at fmatys@simcoe.com . Follow Orillia Today on Twitter and Simcoe.com on Facebook
Email: fmatys@simcoe.com Facebook Twitter
Old 11-24-2018, 05:08 PM   #24
lighthead2toe

Default Orillia 80th Birthday Concert Nov 17th, 2018

Dear friends,

Words are most difficult to be found in order to effectively describe the journey that this monumental event entailed.
One very dedicated and jet lagged Gordon Lightfoot fan, Peter, accepted our offer and arrived from Germany at approximately 11PM on the Friday night (the night before the the Orillia concert). He was greeted by "Marian form the Mountains," our little dog, "Pussywillow" (aka LaRue) and yours truly.
The dog just loved him and the love was reciprocated.

Although we'd never met before, connecting with folks such as Peter, a huge fan who's into the Lightfoot music creates such a powerful means of communication, the bond just seems to form automatically.

I've seen this happen many times before over the years and it never ceases to amaze me the powerful medium this music really does possess. It's a wonderful experience and having the opportunity to share it with others who appreciate it to this degree is a joy all on it's own.

Peter managed to secure a ticket for the concert and from there things just fell into place. So following a good night's sleep and a little "pick me up" breakfast we're off to the quaint little Ontario town of Whitby to pick up Charlene and daughter, Lisa and, as carefree as we can be, we're on the highway to Orillia, Ontario, the place where it alll began 80 years ago. We are here to celebrate a most memorable occasion.
It's Gordon Lightfoot's 80 birthday which also coincides with the number of concerts he's performed this year.
Now, thats a strategy that would involve some very creative planning. The Lightfoot way you might say.

Coming along the highway as we approach Orillia we pull over for a stop off at Tudhope Park for a few pics of the statues created by sculptor, Timothy Schmalz to commemorate the works of Gordon Lightfoot. It's a bright sunny day and they stand proud there in the frozen Orillia ground.

Peter was so thrilled with this the cold didn't seem to bother him. But it's only the beginning. He's learning all things Canadian quickly, like our traffic lights are called "set of lights" and what a "double double" means when it comes to ordering coffee at Tim Horton's. He's also developed a fondness for the blueberry muffins they sell there.

Following our check in at the old reliable "Maples Motel" we head up Mississaga Street and stop in at the "Hog and Penny" for a bevy and a bite to eat. The Hog and Penny is one of several establishments that hosts Lightfoot Tribute entertainers who perform during the festivities celebrating "all things Gord" so the vibe is hot and the spirits are riding high.
From there we head to the Opera House as Peter is quite excited about taking photos while there is still some daylight time available.
We arrive at the same time Gord's keyboard player, Mike Heffernan was opening the hatch of his vehicle to get his gear out for the soundcheck and Mike was kind enough to greet us and give time for a few pics.

Then it's off to "Alleycats," a well known musical establishment on Mississaga Street. Alleycats has a giant birthday card with many birthday greetings and we give ours as well. The Alleycat folks know Char so we end up taking the card with us back to the Opera House where we're greeted by the always very elegant "Kim Lightfoot" who ensures us that the card will get to Gord.

During the concert Gord talked about the giant card and gave thanks to everyone.
It was a straight ninety minute performance with no intermission and together with his well seasoned band they breezed their way through to the full enjoyment of a sold out crowd of dedicated fans, many of whom were Gord's immediate family.

Char and Lisa are in the process of putting together photos, videos, etc. for the enjoyment of all.

Following the concert there was a meet and greet which gave Peter the opportunity to have a photo taken with Gord and the band members as well. He was quite overwhelmed with the whole event.

Following our return to Toronto we make a visit to the Rosedale area as Peter is anxious to see Gord's old Victorian mansion and take a few pics. The home has been completely renovated and together with several adjacent homes it's now owned by a lady who lives in Los Angeles.
We spoke with a gentleman working there who was a cousin of the owner lady. Unfortunately we had to cut the discussion short as a construction crew needed access to the area and we had to give up our parking spot.

The house is beautiful though and and still has it's "Lightfoot" character. I always said Gord belongs in that house. It's "The House you Live In." It enters my thoughts at times while listening to those beautiful ballads we were introduced to during that magical era.

All in all it was an extended weekend event that went by so quickly as they all seem to do but we sure made the best of it.
I had never seen Gord perform in the Orillia Opera House before and it was the one thing I had always longed for so to have been able to attend this once in lifetime event for me was an experience like non other.
The emotional mileage is measured in moments of ongoing joy.
To Gord: "Thanks for helping make the lives of so many so much better."

Last edited by lighthead2toe; 11-25-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #25
charlene

VIDEO PLAYLIST: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...dNW66r2YuzJlyR
GORDON LIGHTFOOT @ ORILLIA OPERA HOUSE/GORDON LIGHTFOOT AUDITORIUM – Saturday November 17, 2018 – 80th Birthday concert!

SETLIST – all songs have video
1. EMCEE introduction
2. Sweet Guinevere
3. Cotton Jenny
4. Too Many Clues In This Room
5. Never Too Close
6. Couchiching
7. Let It Ride
8. Fine As Fine Can Be
9. Shadows
10. Beautiful
11. Carefree Highway