banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-24-2003, 09:22 PM   #1
gwen snyder

Oma, You will not believe this, I can't believe it, but, a Sam goodys' opened in of all places Alliance (a small town that is much larger than the exremely small town I live in). and tomorrow night I am going over to check it out, thanks to you. I cannot find Sunday concert!!!!!!! I am so frustrated from looking everywhere. It just steams me. I will continue to look, and Sam goodys' I hope your my good luck charm!
I'll let you know later.
Gwen
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:09 PM   #2
SomewhereupinMichigan

Gwen: Have you tried www.cdnow.com ? They are showing new copies available for the US release version of the cd from individuals for as low as around $10. I've used cdnow before and they are reliable.
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 10:09 AM   #3
Oma

Gwen, Good luck at Sam Goody's, but I gotta warn you, at the store near me there wasn't much in the way of GL! That is the store where I ordered "Sundown", waited 1 month for it to come in and finally gave up and found "Sundown" on the rack at Border's!

Hope you have better luck than me at Sam Goody's...Here's hoping!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 07:11 PM   #4
Borderstone

Sam Goody? If I were still hunting down all the GL albums that I was looking for last fall,that would not have even been a place I would look! I know I was looking for vinyl but had I been going for CD's only, I would try the more independent operations (i.e. Mom & pop stores) than any major chain. They never have usually more than 3 or 4 titles. Just my take on this. Later.

------------------
Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
Borderstone

Well,here I am in this topic 3 years later. Why?

Because Sam Goodys (as well as the record chain industry) is fading out. Here at the mall,my local location is closing next month. There will be only two in town and they'll be on the east side.

Last year,this same thing occoured with Tower Records. The one just a few moles away closed in Jan. of '05. I didn't even know that until June and I actually was sad about it. I spent my teen years shopping there & other stores.

Now practically all the places that i bought music long ago are disappearing and it's so depressing. I can only blame the modern innovations of Ipod & music downloading.
Something I may neevr take part in.

Been me,Later!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
Janice

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:
Now practically all the places that i bought music long ago are disappearing and it's so depressing. I can only blame the modern innovations of Ipod & music downloading.
Something I may neevr take part in.
B, I agree that MP3 players and downloading have contributed to the demise of "record stores" but that's not the total blame. I don't own an MP3 player, nor do I download and I haven't stepped foot in a record store (a store that sells only music) in years - yet my musical library continues to expand by leaps and bounds.

I think the other major contributor is the convenience and greater availability of online shopping. It's been ages since I bought music at a store - I just order CDs from Amazon and they're delivered within two days.

I feel bad that folks are losing jobs and I feel for folks such as yourself who will miss them, but I don't think I'll miss wasting time in traffic, finding a place to park, roaming around forever just trying to find what I'm looking for and getting no help from the teenage clerk who only bothers to educate themself on the music they are interested in, so can't help you find anything that doesn't fall into that category (is anyone else old enough to remember the days when clerks knew every onch of their store and could help you quickly find whatever you were searching for?)
Old 03-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
violet Blue

I buy all my CD's and books on line these days. I have for the last five or six years. There are no music or book stores like Tower or B&N up here, so short of making the 60 minute drive down the mountain it's starve or buy on line. Plus I stand a much better chance of finding most of what I listen to online than in a bricks and mortar establishment.
violet Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #8
Borderstone

Even though I have bought albums with "bum" songs on them,I'd still rather have the whole piece than smaller slices.

For as long as I can,I "will" go to record stores until I can no more.