banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-15-2001, 01:46 PM   #26
Gord

Sea of Tranquility is my favourite song... very vivid imagery of the outdoors and I love fishing! Maybe he will perform it in concert this May at Massey.
Old 01-18-2001, 09:04 PM   #27
gathrb

2Much2Lose,
That is interesting if its true that SUNDOWN has Gord's only songs with expletive lyrics. I could swear(no pun intended) there are others. I think he says something about not using swear words to express himself in songs in SONGBOOK, I'd have to search through again. He must have been going thru some serious trials at the time. SUNDOWN is one of his very best.

I was thinking of another song from the 9o's that was my favorite(he only had 2 albums) it would have to be "BOATHOUSE" or "MY LITTLE LOVE"
gathrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 09:04 PM   #28
Tom

2Much2Lose,
That is interesting if its true that SUNDOWN has Gord's only songs with expletive lyrics. I could swear(no pun intended) there are others. I think he says something about not using swear words to express himself in songs in SONGBOOK, I'd have to search through again. He must have been going thru some serious trials at the time. SUNDOWN is one of his very best.

I was thinking of another song from the 9o's that was my favorite(he only had 2 albums) it would have to be "BOATHOUSE" or "MY LITTLE LOVE"
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 06:34 PM   #29
rbengals

I could change my mind everyday about this one. But the few tracks I always make sure to hear when i listen are circle of steel, beautiful, cotton jenny, and old dans records
Old 01-22-2001, 06:34 PM   #30
rbengals

I could change my mind everyday about this one. But the few tracks I always make sure to hear when i listen are circle of steel, beautiful, cotton jenny, and old dans records
Old 01-28-2001, 10:16 PM   #31
gathrb

"The Watchman's Gone" is such a fantastic song. I would love to hear that song in concert. I'm trying to figure out the meaning....can anyone else help out? Obviously the Watchman refers to the guy who's job it is to guard the train from hobo's and the like who try to get into the traincars. The song seems to be about a guy who is leaving a failed relationship("As I leave you in the sunset") & hitches a train bound for "the golden sun" the dream of a new start somewhere else. He makes it, but warns others to "beware knowin' the watchmen's always there". I'm not sure what he's trying to say. The ending is a little confusing for me too (i.e. "if you find me feedin' daisies"). I love the Canadian accent on "Kickin' your dreams ABOUT". What a classic!

Got one more nothin' I'd like to say
"You don't know me, A son of the sea am I"
Old 01-28-2001, 10:16 PM   #32
Tom

"The Watchman's Gone" is such a fantastic song. I would love to hear that song in concert. I'm trying to figure out the meaning....can anyone else help out? Obviously the Watchman refers to the guy who's job it is to guard the train from hobo's and the like who try to get into the traincars. The song seems to be about a guy who is leaving a failed relationship("As I leave you in the sunset") & hitches a train bound for "the golden sun" the dream of a new start somewhere else. He makes it, but warns others to "beware knowin' the watchmen's always there". I'm not sure what he's trying to say. The ending is a little confusing for me too (i.e. "if you find me feedin' daisies"). I love the Canadian accent on "Kickin' your dreams ABOUT". What a classic!

"You don't know me, A son of the sea am I"
Old 02-03-2001, 03:37 PM   #33
gathrb

Can anyone help me out on the above question? Thanks!

I've been on the town
Washing the *Barbara Striesand* down
Old 02-03-2001, 03:37 PM   #34
Tom

Can anyone help me out on the above question? Thanks!

I've been on the town
Washing the *Barbara Striesand* down
Old 02-04-2001, 01:26 AM   #35
gathrb

THE WATCHMAN'S GONE

The more I listen to it, I think the end part about "If you find me feedin' daisies/Please turn my face up to the sky" I think he's talking about dying. It seems from the song he leaves for good to "follow the golden sun" and when his time is up "leave me be". Until then he will keep on drinking remembering his past pains: "Whatever I was/You know it was all because..." It's both a freeing song and yet he's still imprisoned.
Does that sound right, or does someone else have a different viewpoint of the song?
Old 02-04-2001, 01:26 AM   #36
Tom

THE WATCHMAN'S GONE

The more I listen to it, I think the end part about "If you find me feedin' daisies/Please turn my face up to the sky" I think he's talking about dying. It seems from the song he leaves for good to "follow the golden sun" and when his time is up "leave me be". Until then he will keep on drinking remembering his past pains: "Whatever I was/You know it was all because..." It's both a freeing song and yet he's still imprisoned.
Does that sound right, or does someone else have a different viewpoint of the song?
Old 02-05-2001, 12:30 PM   #37
charlene

The Watchman's Gone (Sundown) 4:25

Just like birds of a feather
We too have followed the golden sun
It feels so good,
Knowin' the watchman's gone
If I give you a rose, buddy
Would you please bury it in the fields?
I seen a rose
Watchin' it all fold out

he's talking about being on his own and free from prying eyes, judgements and restraints - possibly those caused by a relationship? burying the rose in the fields - perhaps "planting" a rose in his memory because it seems when he saw a rose it opened up the way he saw life as opening up.

There's a train down at the station
It's come to carry my bones away
Two engines on
Twenty-one coaches long
End to end
Twenty-one coaches bend
The watchman's out
Kickin' the bums about

A funeral train perhaps? for when he/someone dies. the watchman's out doin his job keeping the bums off the funeral train.

If I wait for the right moment
You can bet I'll climb aboard unseen
I've done it before
I know I can do it in my sleep

he mentions he's gonna get on aboard so it's probably not him that dies.

The watchman's out
Kickin'the bums about
The watchman's out
Kickin' your dreams about

bums/hobos all have dreams of the free life of riding the rails but the watchman's job is to keep them off the trains so that means he's kicking their dreams about too - literally and physically i guess.

As I leave you in the sunset
"You don't know me
A son of the sea am I"
As I say to you, my brother
If you live to follow the golden sun
You better beware
Knowin' the watchman's always there

when he leaves the train after perhaps getting on on one shore after he left the sea and headed across the country to the other shore and another ocean (he's a son of the sea) he lets the other guy know for what it's worth, that he needs to watch out for the watchman cuz he's always there.

If you find me feedin' daisies
Please turn my face up to the sky
And leave me be
Watchin' the moon roll by
Whatever I was
You know it was all because
I've been on the town
Washin' the bullshit down

a lot of hobos die along the train routes and many are alcoholics. he wants to be buried face up to watch the moon. he's explaining his life as being what it was because he got into the drinking too much and that ruled his life.

The watchman's out
It feels so good
It's like a song

when you die the "watchman" (big brother, bosses, etc.) is no longer watching you and is the only time you are free of being watched by anyone. he finds peace with this knowledge.

I think it can be about living your life under intense scrutiny (perhaps as a successful performing artist) by people who will judge you by outward appearances mostly and that it only stops (for you) when you're dead and that's when peace comes. It also relates to everyone though be it a boss, spouses, parent etc. that plays the part of the "watchman".

i think!
lol
char

charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2001, 12:30 PM   #38
charlene

The Watchman's Gone (Sundown) 4:25

Just like birds of a feather
We too have followed the golden sun
It feels so good,
If I give you a rose, buddy
Would you please bury it in the fields?
I seen a rose
Watchin' it all fold out

he's talking about being on his own and free from prying eyes, judgements and restraints - possibly those caused by a relationship? burying the rose in the fields - perhaps "planting" a rose in his memory because it seems when he saw a rose it opened up the way he saw life as opening up.

There's a train down at the station
It's come to carry my bones away
Two engines on
Twenty-one coaches long
End to end
Twenty-one coaches bend
The watchman's out
Kickin' the bums about

A funeral train perhaps? for when he/someone dies. the watchman's out doin his job keeping the bums off the funeral train.

I've done it before
I know I can do it in my sleep

he mentions he's gonna get on aboard so it's probably not him that dies.

The watchman's out
Kickin'the bums about
The watchman's out

bums/hobos all have dreams of the free life of riding the rails but the watchman's job is to keep them off the trains so that means he's kicking their dreams about too - literally and physically i guess.

As I leave you in the sunset
"You don't know me
A son of the sea am I"
You better beware
Knowin' the watchman's always there

when he leaves the train after perhaps getting on on one shore after he left the sea and headed across the country to the other shore and another ocean (he's a son of the sea) he lets the other guy know for what it's worth, that he needs to watch out for the watchman cuz he's always there.

If you find me feedin' daisies
Please turn my face up to the sky
And leave me be
Watchin' the moon roll by
Whatever I was
You know it was all because
I've been on the town
Washin' the bullshit down

a lot of hobos die along the train routes and many are alcoholics. he wants to be buried face up to watch the moon. he's explaining his life as being what it was because he got into the drinking too much and that ruled his life.

The watchman's out
It feels so good
It's like a song

when you die the "watchman" (big brother, bosses, etc.) is no longer watching you and is the only time you are free of being watched by anyone. he finds peace with this knowledge.

I think it can be about living your life under intense scrutiny (perhaps as a successful performing artist) by people who will judge you by outward appearances mostly and that it only stops (for you) when you're dead and that's when peace comes. It also relates to everyone though be it a boss, spouses, parent etc. that plays the part of the "watchman".

i think!
lol
char

Old 02-05-2001, 10:49 PM   #39
gathrb

Thanks Char. I'm "dying" out here trying to figure this song out! Sometimes I wish we could email Gordon Lightfoot with questions, although I read he doesn't use a computer.

I agree with some of your insights. I like your idea of the "watchman" being more than just the train worker, but also possibly representing "Big Brother", Bosses, Spouses, Parents, etc. And how they literally & physically "kick" our dreams around.

I disagree with the part about "planting" a rose. The song asks the friend/buddy to "bury" the rose in the field, not plant it. Maybe he feels like that rose?

I don't think it is a funeral train. My daughter asked the same question right after I dl the song. lol It's just a train that carries his body to another place/city in "the golden sun".

Thanks for your imput Char. I'm the kind of person that has to figure out what a song means to fully appreciate. Can you break down IYCRMM? I still don't understand that one either! lol
Old 02-05-2001, 10:49 PM   #40
Tom

Thanks Char. I'm "dying" out here trying to figure this song out! Sometimes I wish we could email Gordon Lightfoot with questions, although I read he doesn't use a computer.

I agree with some of your insights. I like your idea of the "watchman" being more than just the train worker, but also possibly representing "Big Brother", Bosses, Spouses, Parents, etc. And how they literally & physically "kick" our dreams around.

I disagree with the part about "planting" a rose. The song asks the friend/buddy to "bury" the rose in the field, not plant it. Maybe he feels like that rose?

I don't think it is a funeral train. My daughter asked the same question right after I dl the song. lol It's just a train that carries his body to another place/city in "the golden sun".

Thanks for your imput Char. I'm the kind of person that has to figure out what a song means to fully appreciate. Can you break down IYCRMM? I still don't understand that one either! lol
Old 02-06-2001, 12:13 AM   #41
charlene

Tom - re: bury/plant - us gardeners (LOL) will refer to the putting a plant in the grand as "burying" it. i.e.- "bury it 5 inches deep and cover with peat moss and loam, water well. May be a Canadian thing tho.
plus bury has two syllables as opposed to plant which has one and thus didn't fit the flow of the sentence maybe???

It may not be a funeral train. Could be just takin his old, tired bones across the country to another shore where the seaman can be near the ocean again.

You should write to Gord - see if you get a reply. It won't hurt!
Char
Old 02-06-2001, 12:13 AM   #42
charlene

Tom - re: bury/plant - us gardeners (LOL) will refer to the putting a plant in the grand as "burying" it. i.e.- "bury it 5 inches deep and cover with peat moss and loam, water well. May be a Canadian thing tho.
plus bury has two syllables as opposed to plant which has one and thus didn't fit the flow of the sentence maybe???

It may not be a funeral train. Could be just takin his old, tired bones across the country to another shore where the seaman can be near the ocean again.

You should write to Gord - see if you get a reply. It won't hurt!
Char
Old 02-09-2001, 11:04 AM   #43
Lightfoot678

Regarding Canadian Railroad Trilogy. That song is one of my all time favorites. Everything about it is great. The lyrics, the guitar playing, the tempo changes. That song proves that Gord is a talented guitarist

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 11:34 PM   #44
shadow

my favourite song has changed since I bought Songbook. It used to be If you could read my mind, but now I can't get enough of Always on the bright side.You can tell Gord has mellowed with the years if that's possible.I get a relaxed,take-me-away-Calgon-feeling when I listen to it. Just Gordon and his guitar. I love it.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 11:34 PM   #45
sonia

my favourite song has changed since I bought Songbook. It used to be If you could read my mind, but now I can't get enough of Always on the bright side.You can tell Gord has mellowed with the years if that's possible.I get a relaxed,take-me-away-Calgon-feeling when I listen to it. Just Gordon and his guitar. I love it.
sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2001, 11:15 AM   #46
Chuck

Watchman's Gone Cont...

Tom, I'm with you on this one. Best song ever written. No other song can effect me like this one. I would like to add my 2 cents on the meaning of this one.

Char touched on it a little bit.

I believe the whole song is about his battle with alcoholism.

Terms and Definitions:

Watchman = alcoholism itself, or the end result, death

Golden Sun = his favorite drink, possible Southern Comfort or other whiskey

I've done it before
I know I can do it in my sleep = falling off the wagon. If the mood is right it's so easy to take that first drink

You better beware
Knowin' the watchman's always there = telling us if we insist on abuseing ourselves with alcohol, we better be aware of the consequences

I've been on the town
Washin' the bullshit down = washin, another term for drinking, as in drinking to kill the pain

Gordon had a dificult time overcoming alcoholism. I believe this was his song expressing that.

Old 02-11-2001, 11:15 AM   #47
Chuck

Watchman's Gone Cont...

Tom, I'm with you on this one. Best song ever written. No other song can effect me like this one. I would like to add my 2 cents on the meaning of this one.

Char touched on it a little bit.

I believe the whole song is about his battle with alcoholism.

Terms and Definitions:

Watchman = alcoholism itself, or the end result, death

Golden Sun = his favorite drink, possible Southern Comfort or other whiskey

I've done it before
I know I can do it in my sleep = falling off the wagon. If the mood is right it's so easy to take that first drink

You better beware
Knowin' the watchman's always there = telling us if we insist on abuseing ourselves with alcohol, we better be aware of the consequences

I've been on the town
Washin' the bullshit down = washin, another term for drinking, as in drinking to kill the pain

Gordon had a dificult time overcoming alcoholism. I believe this was his song expressing that.

Old 02-11-2001, 11:56 AM   #48
Janice

Chuck,

That's an interesting theory and it sounds very plausible the way you've presented it!

Janice
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 12:12 AM   #49
Grantsdad7

Some of you may think I'm crazy, however, the first time I heard 'Summer Side of Life' I was struck by its uplifting progression. Now that I've developed into a veteran connoiseur, its interesting to listen and see the range Gordon displayed and how different it is from most of his creations.
He had to be RED after singing that! The song 'Shadows' comes after that and then the song that played at our Wedding two short years ago, 'I Will Prove My Love To You'.
Old 02-17-2001, 12:12 AM   #50
Grantsdad7

Some of you may think I'm crazy, however, the first time I heard 'Summer Side of Life' I was struck by its uplifting progression. Now that I've developed into a veteran connoiseur, its interesting to listen and see the range Gordon displayed and how different it is from most of his creations.
He had to be RED after singing that! The song 'Shadows' comes after that and then the song that played at our Wedding two short years ago, 'I Will Prove My Love To You'.