banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-15-1999, 04:15 PM   #1
locster

A topic I've never heard discussed...
the similarity of say Lightfoot's Don Quixote era work and Cat Stevens work of the same era. I can very easily imagine Lightfoot singing "Miles from Nowhere" or Cat Stevens having done Don Quixote. Any thoughts?
locster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-1999, 04:15 PM   #2
Bill

A topic I've never heard discussed...
the similarity of say Lightfoot's Don Quixote era work and Cat Stevens work of the same era. I can very easily imagine Lightfoot singing "Miles from Nowhere" or Cat Stevens having done Don Quixote. Any thoughts?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-1999, 11:16 PM   #3
dejavu

This is so BIZARRE.....I just got Gord's Gold, volumes I and II for Christmas, was listening to them today, and thought, oh yeah, makes me remember Cat Stevens, too. Now I find this post. Gives me a feeling of.....dare I say it? Dejavu? (eerie sensation of Crosby Stills Nash and Young grinning).
Old 12-27-1999, 11:16 PM   #4
dejavu

This is so BIZARRE.....I just got Gord's Gold, volumes I and II for Christmas, was listening to them today, and thought, oh yeah, makes me remember Cat Stevens, too. Now I find this post. Gives me a feeling of.....dare I say it? Dejavu? (eerie sensation of Crosby Stills Nash and Young grinning).
Old 01-11-2000, 11:48 PM   #5
Sylli

Don't they both reference basically the same era? The golden age of American Folk Balladeers? In high school we had a teacher who used this kind of music to teach poetry. Kind of a unique method of showing us that poetry reaches us on a daily basis. I love the imagery in both artists, although Gord's is more alive and evolving, since Steven's quit his career to become a Buddist monk.
Sylli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2000, 11:48 PM   #6
thermodynamic me

Don't they both reference basically the same era? The golden age of American Folk Balladeers? In high school we had a teacher who used this kind of music to teach poetry. Kind of a unique method of showing us that poetry reaches us on a daily basis. I love the imagery in both artists, although Gord's is more alive and evolving, since Steven's quit his career to become a Buddist monk.
thermodynamic me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2000, 11:18 AM   #7
Bill

Indeed, my creative writing classes in high school and college used these guys...Springsteen too!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:41 PM   #8
Borderstone

Anciet thread time! I pick up on these when it seems there's more that needs to be said.

Citing the similarities between the two,I feel that they are more similar when it comes to the softer more introspective songs. Cat Stevens was more on the "pop" side but still a great singer/songwriter. A lot of his songs speak to me but some of the others just don't click. I can't say why,I don't know myself.

Now,I could go on (as most of us here could) ) about all that makes GL special for us,but I'll be brief.
Gordon Lightfoot speaks to me more because of honesty,lyrics that make you think,laugh,cry,love etc. and a voice that,I feel,you can't help but pay attention to. Especially,when seen and heard in person.

Cat was great but he bowed out in 1978 to become a man of religion. He has stated that he shall never do a comeback tour for that reason. It would be cool but he's got to do what's right for him. Been me,later!

------------------
Borderstone,gonna post some lines tonight!:D
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:50 PM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

With your permission, I will take on the position of resident Cat Stevens expert. Only because I am/was a big fan of his (as well as Gord's) and I continue to appreciate what he committed to vinyl/cd before "retiring". I never really thought about a contrast between his and Gord's music, except they both have produced sophisticated, intelligent music in their careers. Steve, he only used Cat Stevens as
a business name, gave it all up in 1978 to convert to Islam and has, indeed, done much for the Islamic community in England. No, I can't imagine being so gifted musically and just chucking it all. But then again, I have never had any kind of religious epiphany to compare it to. Both Cat Stevens and Gord were accomplished guitarists, C.S.
became more advanced on keyboards than Gord ever wanted to, and wrote songs that connected with people on a basic level. Whereas Gord has kept to a similar style, C.S. really expanded his use of instruments on each successive album. Compare how far advanced the instrumentation is of "Buddah and the Choclate Box" to "Teaser and the Firecat" even tho they are just 3 years apart. Many feel C.S. lost sight of what endeared him to fans, making each successive album less accessible to the fans, but that is subjective, I guess. Yeah, I do wonder what great songs he would have made had he continued his career, but he grew to just hate the record business and found something to make him happy. I'm sure Gord has disliked how the record industry is run from time to time, but he has been able to deal with it. Both men have provided me with many, many years of entertainment, and I cherish them both. I feel lucky that I've been able to appreciate them, and feel sorry for people who couldn't care less about either man.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:50 PM   #10
Rob1956

With your permission, I will take on the position of resident Cat Stevens expert. Only because I am/was a big fan of his (as well as Gord's) and I continue to appreciate what he committed to vinyl/cd before "retiring". I never really thought about a contrast between his and Gord's music, except they both have produced sophisticated, intelligent music in their careers. Steve, he only used Cat Stevens as
a business name, gave it all up in 1978 to convert to Islam and has, indeed, done much for the Islamic community in England. No, I can't imagine being so gifted musically and just chucking it all. But then again, I have never had any kind of religious epiphany to compare it to. Both Cat Stevens and Gord were accomplished guitarists, C.S.
became more advanced on keyboards than Gord ever wanted to, and wrote songs that connected with people on a basic level. Whereas Gord has kept to a similar style, C.S. really expanded his use of instruments on each successive album. Compare how far advanced the instrumentation is of "Buddah and the Choclate Box" to "Teaser and the Firecat" even tho they are just 3 years apart. Many feel C.S. lost sight of what endeared him to fans, making each successive album less accessible to the fans, but that is subjective, I guess. Yeah, I do wonder what great songs he would have made had he continued his career, but he grew to just hate the record business and found something to make him happy. I'm sure Gord has disliked how the record industry is run from time to time, but he has been able to deal with it. Both men have provided me with many, many years of entertainment, and I cherish them both. I feel lucky that I've been able to appreciate them, and feel sorry for people who couldn't care less about either man.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #11
Tyler

Rob, I saw a biography of Cat Stevens once not too long ago. It was really interesting, he said in there that (I can't quote because I don't remember everything about it)he was swimming and was caught in an undertow and prayed to be saved, if he was he would devote himself to his religion. And that all his life he felt his name should have been (something I don't remember) but when he got his Islamic name it translated to the name he felt he always should have had. It was a very good program. He went on about how he got his wife, I don't remember though where I seen it. When I was younger I sure had a crush on him.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #12
brink

Rob, I saw a biography of Cat Stevens once not too long ago. It was really interesting, he said in there that (I can't quote because I don't remember everything about it)he was swimming and was caught in an undertow and prayed to be saved, if he was he would devote himself to his religion. And that all his life he felt his name should have been (something I don't remember) but when he got his Islamic name it translated to the name he felt he always should have had. It was a very good program. He went on about how he got his wife, I don't remember though where I seen it. When I was younger I sure had a crush on him.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 08:52 PM   #13
jg005@aol.com

I think Cat and Gordon are similar in two main ways and also different in other ways. The common ground rests with the fans who like both. They are similar in:

1- Accouctical guitar

2- Unique style

Otherwise, they are very different.

Cat grew in in England from Greek origin and he then became muslim

Gordon grew up in Canada and was trained in classical music but turned to Folk.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:52 PM   #14
jg005@aol.com

I think Cat and Gordon are similar in two main ways and also different in other ways. The common ground rests with the fans who like both. They are similar in:

1- Accouctical guitar

2- Unique style

Otherwise, they are very different.

Cat grew in in England from Greek origin and he then became muslim

Gordon grew up in Canada and was trained in classical music but turned to Folk.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:08 PM   #15
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Brink,
That TV show was most likely "Behind the Music" on VH1. I saw it to and it was very good. He lives a very orthodox Muslum life, therefore his marriage was arranged. He has 5 kids now. He'll be 56 this year. Gord will be 66 this year. They've both lived a lot of life for being relativly young.
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:08 PM   #16
Rob1956

Brink,
That TV show was most likely "Behind the Music" on VH1. I saw it to and it was very good. He lives a very orthodox Muslum life, therefore his marriage was arranged. He has 5 kids now. He'll be 56 this year. Gord will be 66 this year. They've both lived a lot of life for being relativly young.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 01:04 AM   #17
dulcimergal

Wow, my cat in named Brink too!!
dulcimergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 01:04 AM   #18
catworms

Wow, my cat in named Brink too!!
________
300 (ISETTA)

Last edited by catworms; 04-19-2011 at 05:45 PM.
catworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:50 PM   #19
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Actually, Cat Stevens did a few concerts in the past year. In November of 2003 he did the Nelson Mandela Aids Benefit Concert and in December another performance, and if I remember right he performed Wild World and Peace Train. And I believe he's releasing a CD of songs for children this month.
In 2001, his boxed set was released, and he donated the royalties to The September 11th Fund, and his charity, Small Kindness.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:42 PM   #20
MajorSirJerryPending

Send a message via ICQ to MajorSirJerryPending

I saw a news item only about a week ago, that said Cat Stevens was considering making a "comeback" album, possibly this year!!
Watch this space
MajorSirJerryPending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:42 PM   #21
steve gittins

I saw a news item only about a week ago, that said Cat Stevens was considering making a "comeback" album, possibly this year!!
Watch this space
steve gittins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:23 PM   #22
Gaby

I’ve often thought I would love to hear GL’s take on ‘Sweet Scarlet’. Similar poetry and ambiguous imagery.
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:04 AM   #23
Steve DeRosa

"Miles form Nowhere" is my favorite Cat Stevens song...great Piano!
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:04 AM   #24
Oma

"Miles form Nowhere" is my favorite Cat Stevens song...great Piano!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:45 PM   #25
joveski

i prefer Oh very young - really love that one
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote