banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2002, 03:39 AM   #1
Gord

Went to the local mall here in town inquired again as to the new CD's that were supposedly released by Warner Music Canada on July 16. Both music stores say they never recieved such information and no CD's were shipped to the stores. :mad

I am just wondering if perhaps by chance the buyers for some record stores are just choosing not to carry them. Any thoughts on this?
Old 07-20-2002, 03:39 AM   #2
Gord

Went to the local mall here in town inquired again as to the new CD's that were supposedly released by Warner Music Canada on July 16. Both music stores say they never recieved such information and no CD's were shipped to the stores. :mad

I am just wondering if perhaps by chance the buyers for some record stores are just choosing not to carry them. Any thoughts on this?
Old 07-20-2002, 03:47 AM   #3
Gord

I just cut and pasted this from the Warner Music Canada Website. It said boldly to buy Dream Street Rose click here now! It directs you to HMV.com and this is what greeted me!

Dream Street Rose

Availability:
THIS ITEM IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. The manufacturer is currently not producing this item. If you would like to purchase this item, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it's been re-released.

Old 07-20-2002, 03:47 AM   #4
Gord

I just cut and pasted this from the Warner Music Canada Website. It said boldly to buy Dream Street Rose click here now! It directs you to HMV.com and this is what greeted me!

Dream Street Rose

Availability:
THIS ITEM IS CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE. The manufacturer is currently not producing this item. If you would like to purchase this item, we recommend that you occasionally check this page to see if it's been re-released.

Old 07-20-2002, 04:31 AM   #5
Brenda

A few weeks ago I made a bad joke about the availability of these CD's, and now I wish I hadn't. I joked that I had grabbed the final copies of ODR and DSR. That was several weeks ago, and no new copies have appeared. Your best bet may be through mail order houses, although I don't know how that would work in Canada (who to contact, etc.)

I am only surmising that these albums were never released on CD because of relatively weak record/tape sales at the time. I don't know if Rhino and Warners still feel this way, so they are going to produce a certain number of units, and when they are gone, they will never be reproduced. The earlier release of "Complete Greatest Hits" made many of us rather angry because we had waited so long for "The Final Four". Now I'm hoping "Greatest Hits" may spur a few of the recently initiated into buying one or more copies of "The Final Four".

At least as far as my area is concerned (Sacramento) Tower Records is still probably the place to look, followed by Borders. I wish you all well.

------------------
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 04:31 AM   #6
Westernstar9

A few weeks ago I made a bad joke about the availability of these CD's, and now I wish I hadn't. I joked that I had grabbed the final copies of ODR and DSR. That was several weeks ago, and no new copies have appeared. Your best bet may be through mail order houses, although I don't know how that would work in Canada (who to contact, etc.)

I am only surmising that these albums were never released on CD because of relatively weak record/tape sales at the time. I don't know if Rhino and Warners still feel this way, so they are going to produce a certain number of units, and when they are gone, they will never be reproduced. The earlier release of "Complete Greatest Hits" made many of us rather angry because we had waited so long for "The Final Four". Now I'm hoping "Greatest Hits" may spur a few of the recently initiated into buying one or more copies of "The Final Four".

At least as far as my area is concerned (Sacramento) Tower Records is still probably the place to look, followed by Borders. I wish you all well.

------------------
Westernstar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 04:36 PM   #7
BossMan

Hi everyone,
you should be able to get a copy at www.absound.ca

They're a pretty big outfit in Vancouver (where I'm from) and I believe (although don't quote me) if you ship out of province (eg Ontario where I am now) you don't have to pay pst. Plus they're cheaper. And I have no vested interest either

Don't know about shipping to the u.s.
hope this helps!
BossMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 04:36 PM   #8
MinstrelOfTheDawn

Hi everyone,
you should be able to get a copy at www.absound.ca

They're a pretty big outfit in Vancouver (where I'm from) and I believe (although don't quote me) if you ship out of province (eg Ontario where I am now) you don't have to pay pst. Plus they're cheaper. And I have no vested interest either

Don't know about shipping to the u.s.
hope this helps!
MinstrelOfTheDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 06:51 AM   #9
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

A couple of comments on availability:

Regarding HMV: they are in a contract dispute with Warners. They have chosen to boycott all new releases, starting on June 1. So they don't have the new Lightfoot CDs, but they also don't have any of the other new CDs. I wrote to them online and they told me (tersely) about the boycott, and later (just this week) read about the dispute in Billboard.

The CDs are also available through CD Plus ( www.cdplus.com ) for a very attractive price ($12.49 CDN). CD Plus has brick and mortar stores in some parts of Canada; you can look up addresses online at their web site (click on Store Locations along the left side). But I think that the great price may be available only online.

And this isn't a "limited release" item from Rhino, so don't worry about that. But, as you say, these albums aren't on the tip of any buyer's tongue, so they may not choose to buy them for widespread stocking. The more people ask about them, the more stores will ask distributors about them, and maybe more of them will start stocking them.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my GL web site at gordonlightfoot.com

[This message has been edited by vlmagee (edited July 21, 2002).]
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote