banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2000, 03:23 AM   #26
Florian

Chris - you really hit the nail.
Thanks for your posting.

Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2000, 11:45 PM   #27
geo

Yes, I saw Gordon recently (summer 1999 or was it 98? can't remember) at the Palace in Stamford, CT and I too was very dissapointed-his voice was terrible, but the band was good. But that was the first time I saw him in concert and based on some reviews I read at Amazon.com, I was expecting that maybe he got his voice back, or maybe it would be better than the quality on the "waiting for you" album, so I went. Plus, I figured that if he is touring he must sound at least somewhat what he used to sound like-but that was clearly not the case. I thought he would have more respect for himself and his fans-If he can't sound like he used to why bother? It's too painful to listen when compared to what we are used to hearing. He is still one of my favorite artists, if not my favorite-my Truck CD collection has mostly Gordon's music and I listen to his music all the time when driving-I'll probably be listening to it till I die.

There is a review at Amazon.com titled-"Golden voice gone" and that pretty much sums it up.

But I did not walk out on him, it was nice to see him in person. The people around me though also were dissapointed-the women next to me left at intermission. When he started "If you could read my mind" the other women next to me gasped and looked at her husband with dissapointment-I guess they too had not followed Gord in concert and were expecting to hear the old Gord. You can't blame them-if they see that Gordon Lightfoot is coming in concert they expect to hear at least something like the old Gord, and I can understand why you and they would be dissapointed in paying $30. I remember driving home from the concert and listening to the Sundown CD and I thought what a shame, but that is what aging does to you, we can't escape it.

Reading the other replies, I see that some people really let you have it. Well, they won't be happy with me either because Gordon was recently scheduled to be at the Shubert on March 9, 2000 in New Haven and I did not go. But here is the thing-I literally work right across the street from the Shubert, My office directly overlooks it-I frequently play Gordon's music in my office-and I did not feel any urge to go! I would walk out of my office every day and see the sign posting Gordon Lightfoot coming in concert and I really wished I could go and hear the old Gord, but I felt no urge based on the Stamford, CT show and the other reviews I've read, not to mention the quality of his voice on painter passing through. I don't feel like I missed anything-If Gordon can't sound like he used to, then I don't want to see him. And not just that-he really sounds terrible-like a croaking toad! I think he should give it up, his voice just is gone and it's too painfull for many of us.

geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2000, 12:50 PM   #28
Gord

Well I found it a bit unsettling to hear that you feel he ought to give it up cuz his voice is gone ( in your opinion) His voice hasn't had that deep resonance in 15 years so in my view anybody who has followed him would know he has a high nasal sounding voice. You will get your wish one day, he did say on Much Music last summer that he is looking toward 65 as quitting time or he will keep going as long as the people will have him. IMHO he is Canada's version of Elvis Presly and we are fortunate Gord is still here while Elvis has been gone since 77.

Old 03-26-2000, 04:36 PM   #29
chris

Gord, I agree with you. I don't understand why someone would expect a singer to sound the same over a 30 year period. I just don't get it. I refrained from responding to the original post, but I couldn't anymore after reading this last one. His voice is different, but to say it's gone and he should give it up... again I don't get it. I've seen him twice this year, both concerts he delivered the beautiful songs in that same cadence, with that great phrasing. It wasn't the 60s and 70s Lightfoot. It was the 90s version and that was great too, a little different perhaps but great. I truly think that most people who haven't heard or seen him since the 70s get over the difference in his voice, most will see and appreciate that they are getting the same great talent, maybe just at a different pitch. What is so great about GL concerts now is that it is clear how much he enjoys what he is doing and how into the show he really is. Sometimes in the 70s that wasn't always the case. So seeing GL now is even better in my opinion.

chris

------------------
"It took most of my time to do what never was done" -- GL
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2000, 05:07 PM   #30
Wes Steele

To Geo....

My friend, you are not even close to having a clue to what's it all about......

Wes........
Wes Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2000, 05:54 PM   #31
Paul J B

People like that need to just find another web site. The fact that you could say that and call yourself a fan. A fair-weather fan maybe. You should feel lucky Geo. I would gladly pay thirty dollars to see Gord. Like Wes said " Your not even close to having a clue ".

[This message has been edited by Paul J B (edited March 26, 2000).]
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2000, 05:57 PM   #32
Lightfoot678

To Geo

Regarding his voice changing I'd like to point something out to you. It's called AGING. He has gotten older. His voice has changed. But it still sounds good (listen to "A Painter Passing Through" for proof)

I am a major fan of Creedence Clearwater Revival. I was sadly born too late to see them in concert. But I did see John Fogerty solo in concert in October 1997. His voice had changed since the CCR days (wasn't as gritty). But did I walk out? No I did not. Did I say he should stop performing because of it? No. Was I disappointed that he left a few Creedence classics off the set list to make room for some newer material? Yes I would have liked to have heard the songs he left off. But I liked the newer material too.

The point I am trying to make is that people change and evolve. Their voices change. But we shouldn't wish they'd stop performing because of these changes. At least you saw the whole show before critquing it unlike STK. But you should be grateful that Gordon like Fogerty and Neil Young is still around and still putting out wonderful music.

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 01:29 AM   #33
Kevin7156@aol

Geo, you should have made the trip across the street from your office.Gordon is a human.We are all human.We are all growing older.Gordon came out to meet you.You should have met him half-way.Strange what office life can do to a man.
Old 03-27-2000, 05:34 AM   #34
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

To RTK and Geo:
The only possible response to your ignorant comments is to just plain ignore them. They do not deserve to be dignified with a response.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 05:45 AM   #35
loveandmaplesyrup

A gentle suggestion to us loyal members here: Perhaps if we just ignore people like Geo and RTK they might just go away and crawl back under their rocks or something.

They're not members. They're intruders and it's obvious that all they want to do is stir up a bunch of hostility and bad feeling among those of us who come here to chat and share good vibes with each other. I'm sure they didn't just pick this site to voice their ugly words. They probably visit many other sites of other artists and do the same thing. People like that often just get their kicks out of causing dissension. The best thing to do is to act as if they are not even here. Have your discussions and ignore any inflammatory post they make as if it wasn't even there. When they can't have their fun, you watch, they'll go away and invade some other place.

They obviously have problems and it's plain they are miserably unhappy people and want nothing more than to share their negativity with anyone who will listen. So, let's just not listen. We don't WANT to share with them. Let's just consider the source and go on continue to keep this site the happy place that it is. Maybe we should even feel sorry for them with their black and ugly outlook on things.

Perhaps they were abused children.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 03-27-2000, 12:50 PM   #36
dave g

I saw Gordon at SUNY Purchase on 3/25. I thought it was wonderful! No reasonable person can expect a singer to sound the same at 62 as they did at 32, especially after (and it's no big secret) smoking and drinking for so many years. Even the greatest opera singers, who are trained to sing perfectly, start to decline as the years go on, but if they have some interpretive gifts to offer, the public accepts some vocal flaws. At the concert, I noticed that Gordon was enunciating very clearly, perhaps to make up for the loss of some of the vocal richness. His band was solidly professional, as always. I prefer this type of performance, that is, getting down to business and playing the music, as opposed to seeing ostentatious costumes, light shows, unnecessary dance numbers, etc etc. Just give me the music, and that's what Gordon and his band gave. And very well indeed.
Old 03-27-2000, 02:09 PM   #37
geo

OK, take a deep breath, calm down. Well, I'm obviously not going to argue with anyone who still wants to go see GL live-if you still like what you hear and are part of, then, that's a good thing. I just provided an opinion of the quality of show I witnessed in Stamford, CT. I was honestly expecting something better. With all the new advances in medicine, I thought maybe something was done and that his voice would sound better than it did on the WFY album, but I guess he has irreversible damage. At many times it was quite "straining" to say the least, and I was not the only one, I looked around and felt, saw, and heard the same thing. So that is why I don't wish to see him in concert. Also, I would be embarassed to bring a friend. I was recently playing Gord's Gold and my friend said he could not understand his mumbling, I can imagine what he would say if I brought him to a recent show-I'd never hear the end of it. I don't know why more people don't like GL and why radio stations don't play some of his other songs.

There are many people who follow GL but have never seen him in concert, or who do not have some of the more recent albums-they are not all available on CD. I provided an opinion for them if they choose to go see him for the first time, a sort of warning of not to expect much, and to be prepared to be dissapointed. And they may not have $35 to just throw away. They would be better of using it to buy CD's they don't have of GL.

Of course the audience was well behaved, and I was and I always clapped. But overall it was a dissapointment for me-I'm not complaining about the $35, At least I got to see him in person for the first time. But there are other people who probably are, and as a matter of fact, I noticed someone on the way out who stopped at the ticket office and I overheard him say he wanted a refund.

But, obviously, most of the people there knew what to expect, but there were people there like me who saw him for the first time live and we were rightly dissapointed.

So, that is all I have and want to say to people who want an opinion on GL in concert, and who have not seen him live. I like this web sight, lots of good info on GL.

Geeeeeeeeeese, calm down, it's only an opinion on a recent live concert, and there are many others who would say the same thing if you asked, so what? These are just opinions. I listen to Painter Passing Through, but not often because, well, it's not that good, but just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2000, 02:44 PM   #38
geo

Also, I want to clear up some of your opinions and comments of me. The day I made that post was the first time I have visited this site, and the first post I read was the one about being dissapointed in Northampton, and many of you really let him/her? have it. So just to offer a different opinion, I responded what I felt.

Also, just to clear up some other things you said about me:

"Have problems...miserable...unhappy...share negativity..." Actually I am a happy conservative Christian man with no problems or complaints about life except all the liberals around me in Connecticut, and the overall state of society in the USA, with our moral degradation and etc.

"Intruders...crawl back under rock...stir up hostility..." How can somebody be an intruder to an open type forum like this? I don't live under a rock, I don't wish to stir up hostility and as a matter of fact you won't see anymore posts about GL live in concert from me regarding this issue-I gave my opinion and that's all I wanted to do.

I would like to "share good vibes" with you and don't wish to interfere with others who wish to.

"They probably visit other sites and do same thing...get kicks out of causing dissension...inflamatory post..." I don't have time to visit many other sites and I don't get any kicks out of causing dissension-I see enough of it in the Yahoo message board for stock trading in the stocks I own.

"abused as children" Actually I had quite an ideal childhood-we were not rich, but we were not poor. I went to college, got a degree and work a decent stress-free job.

I stumbled into this web site after stumbling into another site. I was interested in buying some CD's of the music from the 50's-Perry Como, Dean Martin, The Mcguire sisters, etc. I was feeling nostalgic and came across a web sight dedicated to "the old America and they way it was." I realized that I never really researched anything about GL so I searched and came here. So that's why I'm here.
Old 03-27-2000, 02:58 PM   #39
geo

One other thing, listening to music is individualistic. I would not call you names or say other comments because you like to see GL live or anyone else. Music is Music. Everybody has different tastes, likes, dislikes, etc. So what. If someone does not like GL live in concert so what, it is wrong to call them names.

I hate Elton John's music and his homosexual lifestyle, but he is very popular-I don't know why and don't really care-just an opinion.

Old 03-27-2000, 04:30 PM   #40
loveandmaplesyrup

Geo and STK
Fine. Have your opinions. And like you both have said -- you had your say. Now go and rag on someone else. If you don't like Gordon Lightfoot, that's fine. No one really cares who you like or don't like. But then don't come here and rag on him. If you dislike him so much and have nothing good to say, then forget about him. Don't listen to him -- don't go to his concerts -- and don't come to his websites. It takes you a lot of time to write all the stuff you wrote. Why bother? No one here really wants to hear it and I'm sure you have better things to do with your time.
I, for one, am very offended by what you say. If you can't find one good thing to say, then perhaps you should just go on to someone else you DO like.

STK, if you're embarrassed to take a friend to a concert, then by all means do NOT do so. But you don't need to tell us about it. What's really amazing is that someone (Gordon)who has the stature, the talent and who has given us all the gift of his beautiful and inspiration music and lyrics can be so gracious while you can think so highly of yourself that you are just too good to be appreciative. It must be nice, I guess, to have such a high opinion of one's self. Again, my advice to you is, quit crabbing about Gordon and forget about him. Don't complain about his albums -- instead, just don't buy them. Don't whine about his concerts -- instead, just don't go. I'm sure you'll be doing Gordon and everyone else who loves him the biggest favor in the world.

Stay loose, eh?

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
Old 03-27-2000, 05:21 PM   #41
Florian

Hi LAMS,

This board is a free and open community.

Everyone can post, registration is not compulsory. It makes no difference to the legitimacy of the content of a message if the user is a registered "Member" or remains unregistered. By registering with this discussion board you automatically gain "Member" status. "Members" have the advantage that they can edit/delete their messages, use signatures, count their total number of postings etc.

I can understand that you strongly object to the two negative postings under this topic, but I don't think that puts you in a position to tell the posters to leave.

At a certain point I think we must realize that where there is much light there also is shadow. But take a statistical approach. There are a total of more than 800 postings on this discussion board, and only two have been negative.

And secondly, if you read the whole topic again and imagine yourself being a person that has never heard of Gordon Lightfoot before - would this discussion make you attend a concert or avoid a concert? I think the former. Numerous persons have answered in the very best way to the negative review of the concert - to share their personal, very positive experiences with us.

That said, I think we must respect that all different kinds of opinions will come up at a discussion board and it will remain open to these postings as long as they don't contain insulting or otherwise objectionable content.

These postings won't change my view of Gordon Lightfoot, they won't change my appreciation for all he has done. I am sure they won't change yours, right?

And please, even though I can understand that you are enraged, please retain from personal insults. I know you have the eloquence to make your point clear without resorting to personal attacks.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want to defend what STK and GEO have written, you can imagine my thoughts about their postings.

But I kindly ask you to keep the discussion at a fair and even level, ok?
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2000, 06:27 PM   #42
geo

Dear loveandmaplesyrup,

One final word,

I think you misunderstood a lot of what STK and I had to say. We were just criticizing a recent live GL concert. I don't know about STK, but I enjoy almost all of GL's albums, except the two recent ones. I am not going to bash him, I still enjoy his work-I just won't see him live in concert. I look forward to learning more about him, and I'll keep listening.

I think the two dissenting views about a recent GL live concert are appropriate and add balance to the discussion here. I don't think we'll see any negative posts about GL's work in total-certainly not from me. But new-comers to this site should be allowed to see dissenting views about recent GL concerts, that way if they have never been to one and choose to go they will be "prepared" for it. I was considering whether to go or not to the Stamford show and read a review at Amazon.com by someone who said they had seen him recently and that his voice had a rich baritone sound, and another few reviews were good-I got the impression that he got his voice back? But there were also negative posts, so when GL first opened his mouth and sang Waiting for you, I knew those people were just too infatuated with GL and were not giving a reasonable account of the concerts they had seen. So to other people who will stop by this site, and who have never seen GL live I think I and STK have provided a reasonable account.

That's all folks. Happy listening to everyone.

Old 03-28-2000, 10:06 AM   #43
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Geo: I am not going to jump on you, but I would like to give you my impressions but not here. I think this thread has been far too emotional (and yes, I too had emotions - and I typed and discarded two responses) and I don't want to post anything more on this subject. Suffice it to say (and it is probably unnecessary for me to say this), I am one of the people who thinks that STK made a mistake walking out, and that you made a mistake not going to another concert.

Would you be willing to give us your e-mail address so that we can exchange views that way? I promise I am not an axe murderer and you can safely let me know who you are - even if I do also live in CT. I skipped this year's New Haven concert (my son was swimming the 1000 free at a CT championship meet at Wesleyan that evening), but I did catch the concerts in Troy, NY and Purchase, NY two weeks apart. And I too attended the concert in Stamford, CT on 7/25/98 - in fact, I have a treasured photo of that occasion!

So, please, reply here with your e-mail address, or e-mail me directly.

------------------
Valerie Magee

[This message has been edited by vlmagee (edited March 28, 2000).]
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2000, 11:14 AM   #44
geo

OK here it is-geo1035@optonline.net

Anyone can email me I don't mind.

But I don't wish to argue this particular point anymore, enough has been said. Yes, I really do like GL, but wanted to let the orignal poster know that I too felt like he did-I guess we were both expecting something else, that's all.

Old 03-31-2000, 10:27 AM   #45
BuddyP

Florian,

I want to thank you for your response to LAMS. I have been away for a few days and needless to say I was surprised by the intensity of LAMS response to what I felt was an honest view from an honest person.

The essence of liberty is the right to agree to disagree. No discussion is enhanced by personal attacks. I hope all of us can treat each person who posts here with dignity and respect. I have seen too many boards torn apart by "if you don't like what I say leave." To suggest anything about the character of another individual based upon his/her opinion is behavior that is unacceptable in any society. All of us have a responsibility not to let this board degrade into that kind of behavior.

Buddy
BuddyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2000, 07:02 AM   #46
Bob In Westphalia, Mich.

At 37, I can say I've been a Gordon Lightfoot fan for over 30 years. I can remember listening to a little transister radio during recess in the 6th grade. That was my first exposure to Mr. Lightfoot's music. I've been hooked ever since. I've seen him in concert 3 times to this point. The last time being just last week (3/30/2000) at the Soaring Eagle Casino in Mt. Pleasent Michigan. I have also noticed that Gordon's voice isn't what it used to be. Although I still feel he is a very talented singer as well as a songwriter.

After reading some of the postings here, I feel it necessary to put my "2 cents worth" in as well. Watching the concert, and remembering the others I've seen, the biggest complaint I have is that the band members can't seem to get off the stage fast enough after the last song. Mr. Keene was actually standing while he was finishing the last song, actually walking away as the song ended. Jokingly, my wife made it her own personal goal, during the show, to try to get the band members to, at least, smile. We were in the front row, and she eventually got them all to smile except for Mr. Haynes.

I don't know about anyone else.....but if I were that tallented, I'd be smiling ear to ear !!! It's sad to think that with all the talent they posess, a person that had spent over $50 for her ticket was having more fun trying to get the band members to look like they were enjoying themselves on stage, rather than hearing the music.

I'll will always be a Gordon Lightfoot fan, and I'll still go to his shows when I can. I just find it hard to understand why the Lightfoot Band continues to tour, if it makes them that unhappy. If they only knew what their music does for people like me, maybe they'd smile alittle.

Old 04-07-2000, 07:36 AM   #47
Simone

I saw Gordon at SUNY/Prurchase on March 25th, and I just have to say for the record, he was awesome! From the very beginning his voice was clear and strong, and I was impressed at how he's managed to preserve his voice after all these years. I did notice his voice was thinner, not as full and rich as before, but I expected that, and chalked that up to his age. He still had the essential Gordon quality in his voice though, still had that distinctive style all his own, and the thing that really did it for me was hearing the songs I've loved for so long coming straight from the source. I felt like I was truly witnessing a legend. So many of his songs are real masterpieces, so it was quite a joy to have The Master himself perform them for me. And he really didn't seem bored to me, like you would imagine someone would be if they've sung the same song a million times. Maybe I was just too much in awe to know better, but I got the sense that the songs still meant something to him, and it seemed to me he was putting himself into the music.

And then I noticed that as the concert wore on, and his voice warmed up, he sounded fuller and richer, much like the Gordon on my old recordings. Not exactly like it, but close. The band didn't always have a lot to do, but that's the nature of Gordon's music, and I like it that way. I can't blame them for being less than passionate about playing "If you could read my mind" for the umpteenth time. I credit them with sticking with Gordon for so long, because they do contribute the instrumentation that is part of Gordon's unique sound, and it would probably be easy enough for them to find other things to do.

One of the highlights of the concert for me was when Gordon did "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." What an incredible song!! A legendary song from a legendary performer. That right there alone was worth the entire price of the ticket. So I left the concert very satisfied, and glowing from the experience.
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2000, 01:15 PM   #48
Simone

Not to make light Bob, but maybe Keene had a good reason for hurrying off the stage. Maybe he had to run off to the john or something!

[This message has been edited by Simone (edited April 07, 2000).]
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2000, 01:23 PM   #49
Bob in Westphalia, Mich

Simone, don't get me wrong. I loved the show. It wasn't Gordon whom appeared to be bored with the surroundings, it was the rest of the band. And true enough, playing those songs over and over may wear on a person, I just don't understand the bands reason to have to get off the stage so quick after only playing for a hour and a half.

You mentioned that the band doesn't have alot to do....very true, and that is a somewhat unique quality to the Lightfoot Band. I'm not in their shoes, but I'm betting they make alot more money at their occupation than I do.....I know if I were anyone of them....I'd be smiling....and if you're not happy with your occupation anymore, it's time to get out ! I hope the Lightfoot Band never changes, it would just be alittle more pleasurable to think the band might enjoy the songs as much as I do.

I've seen a number of concerts in my day, and If I had the chance to see any one performer again, it would be without a doubt, Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 04-07-2000, 02:19 PM   #50
Bob from Westphalia, Mich

Simone....you may be right...but all three concerts that I've seen? Maybe they werent happy to see me in the front row so often !!!
Bob from Westphalia, Mich is offline   Reply With Quote