banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
stationmaster

Well I thought that "INSPIRATION LADY" was good, but now when I listen to "HARMONY" I get shivers down my back. There's something about that song that sounds ghostly! I don't know If it's Gord's voice or the arrangement but it is something to listen to. Anyone feel the same?
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
violet Blue Horse

It is a beautiful, classic Lightfoot song. I always smile when I hear the line "Do you read me write." It has so many and so much meaning, yet it is the simplest song there is. I would give everything I'll ever own to write lyrics like that.

quote:Originally posted by stationmaster:
Well I thought that "INSPIRATION LADY" was good, but now when I listen to "HARMONY" I get shivers down my back. There's something about that song that sounds ghostly! I don't know If it's Gord's voice or the arrangement but it is something to listen to. Anyone feel the same?

Old 05-24-2004, 10:37 PM   #3
stationmaster

Yes the words are simple, but the song is about much more than words. I think Gord has taken this one from the heart and soul.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:20 AM   #4
Borderstone

Being a singer/songwriter,there really is no other place he'd draw his songs from,except the topical real life ones.

Harmony gave you chills,End Of All Time did that for me and I'm sure different songs mean different things to others. I think when all is said and done this CD will touch more people's lives than expected. Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
stationmaster

"One day time will tell when you're living in yesterday
Thinking of things to do, thinking of things to say
Thinking of things divine, find a bottom line"
Yes Borderstone,those are powerful words for a powerful song. To me, this is a song from the HEART unlike HARMONY which seems to be more from the SOUL. I see songs as from either the brain, heart or soul. Anyone can think of words and make a BRAIN song. Some songwriters can convey from the HEART as Gord often does but very rarely does a song truely come from the SOUL. I have listened to most of Gords songs. A lot are from his heart but this one(Harmony) disturbs me when I hear it. I don't know why, but it has special hidden meaning I guess!
Old 05-25-2004, 09:58 PM   #6
violet Blue Horse

I love Shellfish. Those lyrics hold a lot of meaning for me. The first few times I listened I couldn't make out one phrase. When I looked at the lyrics and actually read the words I started to cry; "He who hesitates is lost". It was a phrase my father used to use a lot and I don't think I'd heard it in nearly 14 years. I guess it was something I needed to hear again.

quote:Originally posted by Borderstone:
Harmony gave you chills,End Of All Time did that for me and I'm sure different songs mean different things to others. I think when all is said and done this CD will touch more people's lives than expected. Aurevoir!

Old 05-26-2004, 04:20 AM   #7
searam

I always had a saying, "the dreams of youth become the regrets of old age"...
Thought I would throw that in.
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #8
violet Blue Horse

Yeah. I know the old man died not having done many of the things he dreamed of, largely because he had children instead. Ironically I seem to have wound up doing more than I ever thought I would, largely because I don't have children . . . but also because he pushed us to chase our dreams. He was a good father for a daughter to have.

quote:Originally posted by searam:
I always had a saying, "the dreams of youth become the regrets of old age"...
Thought I would throw that in.
Sean

Old 05-27-2004, 01:35 PM   #9
searam

People that sacrifice dreams for children are the true heroes. I have never had any, but I looked at what my mom went through, and I realise she is a saint. Sorry to hear of your dad.
Sean
Old 05-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #10
stationmaster

Well we always have choices to make in life. Sometimes some of us are fortunate enough to have the best of both worlds, but that does not always happen. Both my wife and I have both given up some personal dreams to have children. Now that we have our daughter, it seems like those dreams don't matter as much. Some people resume their dreams when their children are grown up and gone. I'm not sure if that will happen for us, I guess that's part of the mystery of life.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:42 AM   #11
charlene

Sometimes life makes our choices for us.

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:57 AM   #12
charlene

and more times than not we don't like the choices....
but we persevere,,,,

Char
Old 05-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #13
violet Blue Horse

Uh Huh. Hmmmmmmmmm . . . and are we sure she was talking about music at the time?

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:

Just gotta keep plugging along. "You gotta do the best with what you got."--Gordon Lightfoot's grade school teacher

Old 05-30-2004, 10:24 PM   #14
stationmaster

If Gord read some of this he would probably release #21...
Old 06-06-2004, 07:20 PM   #15
stationmaster

Well this HARMONY album is just getting better every day! First it was INSPIRATION LADY, then HARMONY and now it's END OF ALL TIME! These are my favourites, until I add more! I still think HARMONY is the best...
Old 06-06-2004, 08:41 PM   #16
Rob1956

Well, I'm at the position that I just got the CD yesterday...I was late in ordering it at CD Universe, and since I pay by check, it takes a while to clear the check, etc. Well, I just have to say it is my favorite CD of Gord's since "Shadows". He sounds aged, experienced, more confident in what he has to say and how to say it. I have no doubt that if his diaphram and larynx can handle it, there will be a #21. He might deny it, but I trust he's written half the songs during his recovery that could appear on #21 if he wants. Unforunately, radio stations don't usually play CD's of people over 50 (UNLESS YOU SUBSCRIBE TO XM RADIO WHERE I'VE HEARD GORD QUITE A BIT..ARE YOU LISTENING?) so I doubt you'll hear it "over the air". But then again who heard any of Dylan's stuff off of "Time out of Mind" on the radio, even tho it won a Grammy for best album...
"River of Light" keeps running thru my mind just like "My Little Love" did when I first heard "Painter" for the first time. Nice going Gord..a real gem to add to your "cannon".
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:54 AM   #17
searam

Music is timeless! Or, so the perfect thought would lead us. I still listen to Bach and he's over fifty ( I think )! The Pop/Rock gen is aging. Who makes the rules that their continued artistry cannot be played? We should "throttle" the program managers!!!
Sean
Old 06-07-2004, 11:48 AM   #18
violet Blue Horse

I think part of it is who listens to the radio and buys the majority of the music, and it ain't us. We're busy paying rent and making car payments. Those damn fourteen year olds can afford to buy CD's with their allowance. How do you compete with that?

Then you get into how much it cost to buy a radio station these days. When you have to spend 50 or 60 million or more to purchase a station you have a huge debt to service and you can't do it playing Classical Jazz or Gordon Lightfoot. Just ask the folks in Houston who just lost their one and only classical commercial station when Radio One bought their third station in the market for 72.5 million.

Music is timeless! Or, so the perfect thought would lead us. I still listen to Bach and he's over fifty ( I think )! The Pop/Rock gen is aging. Who makes the rules that their continued artistry cannot be played? We should "throttle" the program managers!!!
Sean

Old 06-07-2004, 10:16 PM   #19
Big Blue

quote:Originally posted by charlene:
Sometimes life makes our choices for us.

Char

I think life will definitely make a choice for you if you don't make enough strong choices of your own. This is an old saying I think and I'm paraphrasing, "Make your own plan and stick to it or you'll become a part of someone else's plan."

Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:48 AM   #20
searam

Maybe I am way off base, but if you have a special talent, or a special direction you are drawn to, you should have the heart and courage to follow it. Seems like everyone these days are focused on money, but that does not feed the soul. OK, somone will say it feeds the mouth, but I think most of you get what I mean.
Follow your own God-given path. Take yourself as far as you can and I think your soul will be fulfilled. Gosh, sometimes I sound like an psychologist! What do you think?
Sean
Old 06-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #21
stationmaster

This post is getting DEEP! We're sounding like a bunch of GORDLINGS!
Old 06-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #22
Rob1956

Watchman: I do agree with you. Contrary to what Oprah says, you are not always in control of your destiny. You will always have people who make decisions that directly effect your life. Be it a boss, a spouse, the IRS, a record company, whatever.
You have to accept that and learn how to work around it. Take Gord for example. Warner Bros. didn't want to promote his albums, so he found someone who would. Is Warner Bros. or Reprise records better known than Linus? Sure, but he worked around it.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #23
charlene

life is what happens while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

how one handles the "stuff" of life is what matters.

Char
doing pretty well with the "stuff"
Old 06-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #24
violet Blue Horse

Well Doc, it all started back when I was . . . oh, wait. Sorry. Got confused there.

I think following your path is tough if you never had an example to follow. That kind of courage is something you learn by example or by trial and error. Sometimes just finding the path can take forty or fifty years.

I think it's all about balance.

Maybe I am way off base, but if you have a special talent, or a special direction you are drawn to, you should have the heart and courage to follow it. Seems like everyone these days are focused on money, but that does not feed the soul. OK, somone will say it feeds the mouth, but I think most of you get what I mean.
Follow your own God-given path. Take yourself as far as you can and I think your soul will be fulfilled. Gosh, sometimes I sound like an psychologist! What do you think?
Sean

Old 06-09-2004, 09:41 PM   #25
DMD3

quote:Originally posted by stationmaster:

I'd say that next to No Hotel, that's the best song on the album.